What is this "special deep conditioning treatment"?

greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
OK, after reading the troll post here, I noticed post #9 by Marah where she mentions that some hair dressers sneak in chemicals in clients hair during treatment.

What are these chemicals?? Diluted relaxers? Has this ever happened to anyone before?

Now I'm scared! :confused4:
APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
My Fotki!
Below: Typical PS bun
004-vi.jpg

Comments

• PrettycurlsPrettycurls Posts: 1,482Registered Users
    A deep conditioning treatment is supposed to be either an intense protein treatment that bonds protein to the damage/weakened parts of the hair or a intense moisturizing treatment to impart deep moisture to dry hair.

But apparently some stylists lie and say they are doing the above and giving a relaxer instead.
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

http://members.fotki.com/Prettycurls/about/ pw:curlspretty

• greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A deep conditioning treatment is supposed to be either an intense protein treatment that bonds protein to the damage/weakened parts of the hair or a intense moisturizing treatment to impart deep moisture to dry hair.

But apparently some stylists lie and say they are doing the above and giving a relaxer instead.

:banghead:
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The "special deep treatment" that I was referring to is what some so called stylists use in natural hair when their client is complaining that their hair is to kinky or tightly coiled and prone to a lot of shrinkage but they want to still wear it "natural".

What they do is take a really good moisturizing conditioner and put it in a relaxer. And mix it really well. Usually it's calcium hydroxide based relaxer (what we all know as No-lye relaxers). They dilute the relaxer really good with the conditioner.. and apply it to the hair. Sometimes they pour some natural oil in there too like a sunflower oil or olive.

What happens is that the calcium hydroxide opens the hair shaft and allows the moisturizing emollients from the conditioner to get into the hair shaft while at the same time relaxing some of the curl slightly. Since the relaxer chemical is diluted they have time to work it though the hair without so they can control how loose the curl gets without going straight. They rinse it all out and then apply a good protein conditioner to the hair and let it sit on the hair or toss you under the dryer. They rinse it out and style your hair.

If done "right" the curls will be less prone to frizz and will indeed be looser and silkier but none of the hair will be straight.

I've heard of hair stylists doing this sneakily under the guise of saying they are just going to use a "special treatment that they make in the salon" to help the hair be less frizzy and the curls "hang". Sometimes they do disclose to the client what the treatment consists of if they ask..
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    This has happened to me before. When I first went natural I was into the "as long as I don't use relaxers I can still wear my hair straight" phase so instead of chemicals I was using heat and it took a lot of it to get my hair to the un-lustrious straight that looked fried and dead. Anyway, in spite of my tremendously nappy hair and apparent unmanageableness of it according to my "stylist's" capabilities, she sent me to the shampoo bowl and started to talk creepily to the shampoo boy. She told him that my hair was really dry and tangled and told him to mix "this with that". He tried to ease my tension because when I heard her say that I was asking what they were doing and they said mixing up a deep treatment. He tried to ease my tension I suppose by making jokes and other niceties and said the concoction smelled like cookie batter.

It surely didn't smell like the likes of any cookie I've ever eaten but he slathered it on and walked away. The damage was done right then and there. It was a texturizer (or relaxer. it doesn't really matter now anyway, lol) mixed with a conditioner. I didn't realize what it was at the time because I really knew nothing of texturizers but I noticed that my hair was much "straighter" than usual when washing my hair. Come to find out it was indeed a texturizer. I didn't know what to do so I just put kinky twists in my hair and never went back to that salon.I felt so betrayed and disgusted but I was so disappointed in myself for being so naive and just plain ol ignant.

Ever since I've made a vow to stay away from salons so if I have split ends or knots or what have you, o the F*** well. To me my hair is in the best shape its been in years. Since I've taken to doing my hair myself and researching ways to better take care of MY hair, I've realized how much hair I would lose unnecessarily with the excessive trimming (salon stylists always wanted to trim my hair. I hated getting my hair trimmed), excessive blowdrying (Recently in December I had my hair blow dried at a salon for literally over an hour. In retrospect, I should have told her a** to section my hair or let me do it and blow dry it that way. It wasn't even straight and I only went to her because I wanted to see my growth (whoa!) and I was too lazy to do it myself) and other unnecessary crap.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
    Thanks for the heads up! I had no idea that salons would do this. Its pretty unethical actual (at least to me it is). Pisses me off just thinking about it!
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
  • KerricurlsKerricurls Posts: 104Registered Users
    I've never gotten the "special deep treatment" but I had a stylist almost relax my hair.

I had combed out my dry hair before going to the salon one time (to make it eaiser for them...and me) and so I guess to the stylist it looked like my hair was realx but in need of a touch up.

So she sat me in chair and I smelled something strong and as she was about to slather the white cream on my hair, I asked her translater (nope, she spoke no english) what she was about to put in my hair. The girl said "Oh, she's giving you a touch up with the relaxer...it's getting thick in the front", with a smile on her face.

I couldnt believe it :silent:
    I calmly told her that my hair is natural and that I don't relax my hair.

She mumbled in spanish the whole time and was throughly upset when she had to blow out my hair. :sad8:
    Hair Type: Tight curls (a mix of 3c and 4a)
    Favorite Products: Shea butter, Herbal Essences hello hydration and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
    Hair Blog: http://growmecurly.blogspot.com follow me on my blog as I record my hair journey!
    Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/kerrishennel/
    Christian/Life Blog: http://mygodmylife.blogspot.com Life as a twentysomething Christian :thumbup:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nicky791Nicky791 Posts: 679Registered Users
    Kerricurls wrote: »
    I've never gotten the "special deep treatment" but I had a stylist almost relax my hair.

I had combed out my dry hair before going to the salon one time (to make it eaiser for them...and me) and so I guess to the stylist it looked like my hair was realx but in need of a touch up.

So she sat me in chair and I smelled something strong and as she was about to slather the white cream on my hair, I asked her translater (nope, she spoke no english) what she was about to put in my hair. The girl said "Oh, she's giving you a touch up with the relaxer...it's getting thick in the front", with a smile on her face.

She mumbled in spanish the whole time and was throughly upset when she had to blow out my hair. :sad8:

That's just crazy to me! It crazy to think that salons would just start 'touching up' someone's hair without asking! Did she at least apologize for the misunderstanding?
    Last Relaxer: March 26 2009
    Mini Chop: January 16 2010
    BC: April 4 2010
    Transitioned for 1yr 9days!
    Fotki: http://members.fotki.com/Nicky791/about/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Nicky791
  • KerricurlsKerricurls Posts: 104Registered Users
    Nicky791 wrote: »
    Kerricurls wrote: »

That's just crazy to me! It crazy to think that salons would just start 'touching up' someone's hair without asking! Did she at least apologize for the misunderstanding?

Nope! she was actually mad that she had to deal with my thick curly hair!
    Hair Type: Tight curls (a mix of 3c and 4a)
    Favorite Products: Shea butter, Herbal Essences hello hydration and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
    Hair Blog: http://growmecurly.blogspot.com follow me on my blog as I record my hair journey!
    Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/kerrishennel/
    Christian/Life Blog: http://mygodmylife.blogspot.com Life as a twentysomething Christian :thumbup:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i guess if you visit a salon, you need to bring your own products! all of this talk has me afraid to go to a salon now.:confused3:
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I really don't think going to the salon is necessary. I can mess up my own hair.lol. Except if you're interested in a professional cut or color but that's all I can justify going to the hair salon for anymore.
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • jada1111jada1111 Posts: 829Registered Users
    This is very unethical and dangerous. You're supposed to legally notify a client if you're going to be using a permanent chemical on their hair.

I've heard of stories like this, but always thought they were an urban legend. I can honestly see myself catching a case behind some mess like this. The stylist will wish she never, ever met me. I'd be a thorn in her side for as long as it would take for my hair to grow back to its original length.

Seven years natural to be destroyed by a deceitful, jealous lazy stylist would be too much for me to handle.
    Jada1111

HAIR TYPE: 4a all over/3c around nape/edges; Last relaxer -4/4/02; Big chop - 4/16/03

http://public.fotki.com/jada1111/
    PW: flower
  • dc05dc05 Posts: 275Registered Users
    I would have to literally kill someone if they gave me a "special deep conditioning treatment". :evil: And this is why Imma keep my tail right out of the salon. SMH. Ridiculous.
    :blob8:24 Months Post Relaxer :blob8:

*Length : BSB (Below Shoulder Blade)/ Brastrap Length
    *Long term goal: TB length (stretched of course)
    *Short tern goal: Mid-back length (stretched -- by June 2011) / Shoulder length (FULL) curly:glasses2:
  • SummerRubySummerRuby Posts: 468Registered Users
    I really don't see how people could be tricked into getting their hair relaxed. I mean, every relaxer smells like a relaxer, and even if they've never smelled a relaxer before, they should know that no conditioner has that kind of ammonia-like smell. And they can't say that they couldn't smell it, because you can smell lye, especially when it's so close to your nose, so it's like...how could you be that ignorant of what's happening on your own head? :?

• dc05dc05 Posts: 275Registered Users
    SummerRuby wrote: »
    I really don't see how people could be tricked into getting their hair relaxed. I mean, every relaxer smells like a relaxer, and even if they've never smelled a relaxer before, they should know that no conditioner has that kind of ammonia-like smell. And they can't say that they couldn't smell it, because you can smell lye, especially when it's so close to your nose, so it's like...how could you be that ignorant of what's happening on your own head? :?

I saw one story where one girl said she didnt smell anything wierd at all so I don't know.
    :confused5:

People are sneaky these days who knows, maybe a strong enough smelling conditioner can lessen it.
    :blob8:24 Months Post Relaxer :blob8:

*Length : BSB (Below Shoulder Blade)/ Brastrap Length
    *Long term goal: TB length (stretched of course)
    *Short tern goal: Mid-back length (stretched -- by June 2011) / Shoulder length (FULL) curly:glasses2:
    dc05 wrote: »

I saw one story where one girl said she didnt smell anything wierd at all so I don't know.
    :confused5:

People are sneaky these days who knows, maybe a strong enough smelling conditioner can lessen it.

I dont think I would know what a relaxer smell like. Is it very chemical-y?

ETA - Oh, like ammonia! I may go to a beauty supply store just to sniff one to see for myself.
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
    I saw one story where one girl said she didnt smell

ETA - Oh, like ammonia! I may go to a beauty supply store just to sniff one to see for myself.

Frankly, it depends on what relaxer you use. Not all relaxers smell like ammonia. And years ago when I did go to the salon...all of them had so many smells going around (hair spray, mousse, relaxer, spray sheen, shampoo, conditioner, blow dryers running, curling irons on high, etc) I could certainly see someone not smelling relaxer if it's diluted enough with conditioner.

My cousin used to put gel in her relaxer (she claimed it helped her hair get straighter and she learned it from some stylist)..and well it never smelled ammonia-y to me. Frankly, it took on the smell of that gel she used.. so go figure.
    CocoT wrote: »
    I really don't think going to the salon is necessary. I can mess up my own hair.lol. Except if you're interested in a professional cut or color but that's all I can justify going to the hair salon for anymore.

I learned that about my hair a long time ago after going to many different salons and be disappointed. Even before I went completely natural for the most part..I've always cut and colored my own hair..even did my own relaxers back in the day and I would never let a stylist touch my hair today. I'm way to picky and I really do believe I'm the only one that can do my hair the way I like. And I really ended up realizing that when I was relaxed and or "texturized".

I never had any problem with hair growth either. But I sure used a hell of a lot of products that thank goodness I have absolutely no need for now..being completely natural broke my product junkie habit. Long as I have a good conditioner and oil..that's all I need! Halleluyah!
    I go to the salon about 1-2 times a year for a trim and maybe color. After doing my hair myself for years, I need a break sometimes! Hair color is just horrible and messy so I stopped doing it all together. Fortunately I found someone who can cut and color my hair and doesn't even have perms/relaxers and flat irons in her shop. I dont know what I will do if she moved away, LOL.
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
    Perhaps it could be ignorance but like I said I didn't really smell anything when that happened to me. I heard them being sneaky and maybe I should have followed my intuition but relaxers and texturizers don't all smell the same, or at least they all don't have distinctive scents.
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
  • JahNaturalDezignJahNaturalDezign Posts: 1,160Registered Users
    I saw one story where one girl said she didnt smell

Frankly, it depends on what relaxer you use. Not all relaxers smell like ammonia. And years ago when I did go to the salon...all of them had so many smells going around (hair spray, mousse, relaxer, spray sheen, shampoo, conditioner, blow dryers running, curling irons on high, etc) I could certainly see someone not smelling relaxer if it's diluted enough with conditioner.

My cousin used to put gel in her relaxer (she claimed it helped her hair get straighter and she learned it from some stylist)..and well it never smelled ammonia-y to me. Frankly, it took on the smell of that gel she used.. so go figure.

When I read the article StrawberriCurls posted on her blog about this same thing I too wondered how someone could not know their hair was being relaxed, but once you mentioned this, it did remind me of the hours I spent at the salon and all the different smells going on. Plus if it's diluted like someone mentioned it can be even trickier. That whole idea is so devious and that's why I don't go to any salon unless they only do natural hair. Even then I research the salon. I was fortunate enough to come across a salon that doesn't even keep chemicals in the salon, and is very big on hair health.
  • CoilyHairedBeautyCoilyHairedBeauty Posts: 52Registered Users
    Wow...stylists have sank to an all-time low...doing things like this. If it happened to me...ah, you don't wanna know... :sad2:

When my hair was chemically straightened, my mom used the box kits, Optimum, to be exact. I can't really remember what it smelled like. Alls I know is the conditioner and the neutralizing shampoo smelled great!

However, when I was in beauty school, I did give a few relaxers, and the products they had smelled freaking NASTY.
    "authenticity is true beauty."
    http://youtube.com/user/CoilyHairedBeauty
    Celebrating 5 Years Natural | 3 years Napptural! :hello1:
    Hair Hates: Proteins and Shea Butter :pukeright:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file