CurlTalk

Is anyone else's underlayer straight?

DolphinDolphin Posts: 329Registered Users
I don't know why, but the outlayer of my hair is wavy/curly, and the underlayer is wavyish/straight (mostly straight, I think).
Some 2b in the back, mostly (using FIA) 2c/F/iii.

Fine hair, normal porosity, and normal elasticity.

I'm still new to this CG stuff, so ANY tips you could give me are appreciated. :)

I have Celiac Disease, which means I can't eat or use products with wheat in it.

Formerly known as curlygirl92 and mixofwavescurls

Comments

• CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users
    Yes! I have this same problem! I have this wavy/curly canopy and the underlayer WILL NOT curl no matter what. Has anyone else solved this problem?
    I don't know why, but the outlayer of my hair is wavy/curly, and the underlayer is wavyish/straight (mostly straight, I think).
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    It's very natural and normal to have this....we all have different textures and curl patterns. My not so good area isn't the underneath, but the back. When my hair is just the right length, the sides/top/crown/underlayer are fine, but the very center back is just meh.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    thats me! I could have some wild hair going on, but the underneath hairline is always silky and straight(ish).
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
  • TrixieTrixie Posts: 260Registered Users
    rymorg2 wrote: »
    It's very natural and normal to have this....we all have different textures and curl patterns. My not so good area isn't the underneath, but the back. When my hair is just the right length, the sides/top/crown/underlayer are fine, but the very center back is just meh.

Argh same problem here! My center back has very weak waves no matter what I do! Then the rest of my head is wurly except my underlayer, which is 3a spirals. I wish we could all just exchange textures so our hair was how we wanted! :tongue5:
    Somewhere between a 2b/c and a 3a

Current product favorites
    Cleansers: Giovanni TTTT shampoo, Deva No-Poo, Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing Conditioner
    Conditioners: Tigi Moisture Maniac, Yes to Cucumbers, GVP Conditioning Balm, AOHR
    Stylers/Gels: KCCC, SS CEJ and FHG, AOMM, BRHG, LA Looks Sport Gel, Lustrasilk (winter), Pink Boots (winter)
    Henna glosses!
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Trixie wrote: »
    rymorg2 wrote: »

Argh same problem here! My center back has very weak waves no matter what I do! Then the rest of my head is wurly except my underlayer, which is 3a spirals. I wish we could all just exchange textures so our hair was how we wanted! :tongue5:

That's totally how mine is! My underlayer is 3A too, though I have the sporadic 3A curl here and there throughout, EXCEPT for the back.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users
    Yup my underlayer is straight as well. Boo!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• nandiknitsnandiknits Posts: 260Registered Users
    My underlayer is way more curly than my top layer. Go figure!
    CG since June/09
    3a/b extremely thick, coarse, porous
    Loving AOHR, Biolage Conditioning Balm, KCCC.:glasses8:
  • SkiaSkia Posts: 47Registered Users
    Here is my hair:
    p1000933p.jpg

And here is my hair underneath:
    img2041ua.jpg

It is very strange!:confused1:
    Currently I am trying to "baby" the underneath, by applying products upside down and I've seen some difference.
    GCG (Greek Curly Girl) since May 2010 :love5:
    3a/3b (although I have some really annoying straight pieces underneath), medium texture, normal porosity, medium to low elasticity

Condish: Korres Acacia Milk Conditioner
    Styling: Korres Bamboo Styling Cream for Curly Hair
    Currently experimenting with lots of organic cone-free & sulfate-free products

Skia ..means "The Shadow" in Greek
  • LilycurlyLilycurly Posts: 55Registered Users
    Got the same problem....that's pretty much why I got an inverted bob cut. I kept the long, pretty curls framing my face and on top of my head, and the rebel-underside waves that would not curl cut short. Ha!
    Free the Curls!
  • kellygreen49kellygreen49 Posts: 625Registered Users
    I have flat ends on my underlayer. Ugh. lol
    3A~fine texture
    Cleanser: GiovanniTTTT, Deva Low Poo
    Condish: Deva One C, GiovanniTTTT, GVP Balm
    Styler: Deva ArcANGELL, HESMU, AG Mousse Gel
    Want to try: CJ Gellie, Hand Dry Hair Glove, BRHG
    I <3 second day hair :iconbiggrin:
    Call me a Curltalk Otaku. ~MirCurls
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fkellygreen49%2F" class="Popup
    PW curlyhair
    Image301-1.jpg curls1-1.jpg
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users
    Yes my underneath hair is straight, I see this on other wavies too.

Mine is about curly at the very top middle of my head, then looser as it goes out from there, but still very wavy in front and all over the canopy, but the nape is not like the rest of the hair.

It's normal, and be glad it's not straight at the top and curly underneath, that would be harder to deal with.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • pumkinpumkin Posts: 39Registered Users
    im the opposite, curly in the back and underneath and bone straight on top and front. i have been struggleing for a while. i get frustrated with the lack of curl so i flat iron, more so on top and front. hmmmm. a connection?
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    The hair at the nape of my neck is really straight-so much so that my stylist has to cut it a bit shorter so it does not hang our under the curlier top section. My underneath at my sides also has a tendency to be straight as well but I can coax that to curl.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users
    Stupid straight underlayer!

100_0302.jpg
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• BigHairLalaBigHairLala Posts: 116Registered Users
    Yep, my underlayer in the back ONLY is practically straight. Except for two weird little ringlets at the back "points" of my hairline at my neck. It's frustrating. And weird.
    [FONT=&quot]Mod CG since January 2010[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2b/c – in winter; mostly 3a in summer; working toward 3a all year-round
    Fine - Dense - Fairly porous
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Cowash & Leave in: Co-wash with TJ’s Tea-Tree Tingle cond. , Suave Naturals, TJ Nourish[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Styling products in rotation: AG Re:coil, K-Y liquid; FSG, epsom salt & lavender curl-revitalizer;
    [/FONT]
  • sweety10189110sweety10189110 Posts: 129Registered Users
    I'm the total opposite. My under layer is pretty curly but the middle outter layer of hair just falls straight for some reason. Its so annoying.
    Mod CG since 4/10
    Products being used ATM
    Wash: KCCC, CJDF, AOGPB
    Rinseout:: Tresemme Naturals
    Moisturizing and Volume, Yes to Cucumbers
    LI: Giovanni DLI, KCKT
    DT: CJH&BDF, CJCR
    Every Day Stylers: KCCC, AOMM, Biotera Curl Cream, CJCCCC-Lite, CJCIAB, CJCQ, LALGs
  • roccalumeraroccalumera Posts: 51Registered Users
    same here! I have got 3b ish hair and something like... 2a/b underneath... it is so frustrating! cause my curls shrink up and those straight ones just stick out and it looks ugly....:(
    3a/b fine, ii, normal porosity I think...:geek:

Full CG start
    :
    Growing out....again:sad2:

now: chin lentgh
    aim:
    shoulder lentgh

Loves protein and YTC hair mask!

event.png

• missbanjomissbanjo Posts: 3,088Registered Users
    Mine isn't straight but it's certainly a pain, back underlayer. If I do my routine slowly taking my time and paying attention (watching in the mirror) I can get the back to look right. If I'm in a hurry some clumps are almost straight which looks a little silly with 3 straight clumps lol.
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
    Daily styling in the morning has helped with this for me, though I guess it's an extreme measure. Because when the hair is first styled this hair is very gently wavy with ends a little curly, so it hides better. It's "wavy imposter" hair under there, I guess?
    2c / C / iii (FIA)

Shoulder-Length now.

Henna!
  • fetusfetus Posts: 100Registered Users
    My hair's 3b with 2a underlayers. I can never get them to curl.
    Also, it's a little bit lighter than the rest of my hair. O_o
    Sent from my computer
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Yay, I'm not alone! My underlayer is very straight, too, and the straightest part of it is near my face, which is VERY frustrating! :ncool: So even when I do get nice curls on top, my straight hair underneath kind of throws it off. I'm also opposite most of you curlies, because the hair in the back of my head usually forms nice uniform waves and even curly spirals, while the hair in the front of my head is less predictable. I have screwy hair! :tongue3:
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • leonita poraleonita pora Posts: 175Registered Users
    My underlayer is definitely straighter than the rest of my hair, so much so that it sticks out noticeably, much like in Cheetara's pic. When I got my hair cut a few days ago the stylist cut it shorter than the rest, and it's great now. It was sticking out so much and looked so different than the rest of my hair that my stylist mentioned it almost looked like a hair extension - ha! All better now in regards to it sticking out, but still a pain that it doesn't curl like the rest.
    Fia: 2b-2c/Fine-Medium/iii (Thick)
    Low-Poo: Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Shampoo, Shampoo bars
    Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Refresh, CJ Daily Fix, CFT Creamy Curl Cleanser
    Rinse-out: Trader Joe's Nourish, GFTN, Aubrey Organics GPB
    Leave-in/Curl Creme: Marie Dean Curly Styling Creme
    Gel: BRHG, homemade FSG, CJ Curl Queen, Deva AnGel
    Hair likes: Protein, FSG, high dewpoints
    Hair dislikes: coconut oil on dry hair
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    What helps my underlayer to be more even with the rest of my hair is a little extra protein. I use some SS Protein Spray or CJ CurlFix sometimes I even use both. Sometimes I just use the protein's on my underlayer and leave the top layer alone. It's quite a science isn't it? :tongue3:
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • missbanjomissbanjo Posts: 3,088Registered Users
    Hmm cutting the fussy underlayer clumps sounds like a darn good idea to me. I think I'll do that tonight. It may still get a protein treatment since my sister's getting one on the vacation anyway :glasses1:
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
    Yes I forgot to mention that mine is also cut shorter than the rest to help it hide. And the very ends of it do bend, it's not super-straight, just so different from the rest of the hair, and since I've been looking at wavies IRL I have seen this a lot so I don't think it's a problem it's just a normal hair type.

My kids think it's 'cause I pull my hair up when I sleep and it gets flattened, LOL, but even when it was very short, it was different, it felt like silky cat hair and the rest of the hair felt much stronger and more wiry. So I think it really grows out of the head different.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)

Shoulder-Length now.

Henna!
  • RebeccaKRebeccaK Posts: 305Registered Users
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users
    From about the level of my ears on down, my hair is 3A. Above that level it's mostly 3B, with some small 3C sections, and rare strands of 3A. That's the major reason I use a curl enhancer, which seems to help even things out a bit.

It finally occurred to me that the one time I had longer hair all of my hair seemed to curl (and jump) about the same amount, and that was because it is 3A, not 2B. That means that the reason it hadn't been curling as well is that it hasn't had the length it needs to do so.

So, for now, I'm not having my hair cut. My Deva stylist cannot see the curl that isn't there yet to take it into account. Once it is well established, I'll go back to her, but I'm trimming my bangs myself temporarily.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • ruchipuchiruchipuchi Posts: 149Registered Users
    Oh me too! My under layers are barely 2a on a good day and they're longer than the rest so it looks awkward. Especially if the top layers get really nice and curly. It looks like I have an awkward curly/straight mullet at times. :sad6:
    Fia: 2c/Coarse/ii, low-normal elasticity, low porosity.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals
    RO/LI: GFTN, GVPCB
    Styling: Curls Defining Moments Curl Release Serum, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, DevaCurl Set It Free, KCCC
    DT/PT: GVPCB, AOHR, Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Yogurt PTs, ION Effective Care
    SOTC: JCN&S

:wav:
  • hoodiehoodie Posts: 32Registered Users
    I feel ya, ladies. Mine's stick straight too, especially in the back. I can't get a stylist to cut it shorter for me, either. They seem convinced my head will look like a mushroom or I will look "like a soccer mom". GRR - I know my hair; just listen to me!
    2B - high porosity, low elacticity

CG steady since September '11

My routine (for now!)
    Co Wash: Suave Naturals, VO5, or TJ's
    Rinse-Out: 50/50 mix GVP Conditioning Balm & TJ's TTT
    Low-Poo: TJ's TTT or Burt's Bees Pom
    Leave-In: More GVP Conditioning Balm
    DT: Olive & Jojoba Oil. Looking to try coconut soon!
    Stylers: KCCC, Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Joico Joiwhip, AVG, LaBella Lots of Curls....depends on the day

...always on the lookout for the next great product/technique!
  • lucyprimroselucyprimrose Posts: 166Registered Users
    At the back the underlayer of my hair is straight. When it has just been styled or when wet it waves a bit but it always goes straight quickly. But wierdly the underlayers at the sides are the curliest bits of my hair. There are bits of hair next to each other that can be 1 (straight) right next to a clump that (when at it's best) is 2c/3a!

The top bit is in between, so it hides the straighter bit and the curlier bits to some extent!

I guess this is one of problems with cutting hair wet/combed out!
    UK based wavy :hello2:

Mostly waves, but curls and straight bits too!
    Fine to medium, high porosity, medium density, very low elasticity
    Highlights damage (growing it out), seems to like protein and need lots of moisture.

Cleanse - CJDF, trying out low poos ; Co wash- Uk chemist brands, Urtekram Rose or Aloe, Hairveda Amala Cream Rinse; RO - varies, Tigi Moisture Maniac, Desert Essence Coconut ; Leave in - Keracare natural textures; Sealant - argan oil
    Trying out new things, still looking.