Newbie - Paying myself to transition!!!

20feettall7120feettall71 Posts: 3Registered Users
Hi everyone! I have been lurking for about two weeks, so I am finally posting to introduce myself. (BTW, I love it here and I am so grateful for all of the information and the support that is given here.) I have not had a relaxer since March 20, 2010, which officially makes me a "transitioner." I will be 40 next February and my goal is to be totally natural on or near my birthday.

I felt the need to come up with a way to motivate myself, so I came up with this idea to pay myself for staying natural each week. I have this little cardboard box with a slit cut on top for sliding the money in. The box is sealed shut with clear postal tape so that I cannot easily open it. I slide $10.00 for every "easy" week. For the tough weeks, I'll slide in $20.00. (I put $20.00 in last week. LOL!)

My hope is that when my birthday arrives, not only will I be all natural, but I will have some cash for a very special birthday gift to myself. (Maybe a piece of jewelry that can be symbolic of the transition.) I have made this rule that if I give up, I have to spend the money on someone else. For me, that is so motivating. :money: (If someone else has already done something like this, please share...I'd love to hear about the journey, outcome, etc.)

So far, this seems to be working. I am sharing this just in case there are others out there like me who need a little something extra to stay on the path. ;)

20feettall71

Comments

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Hi and welcome to our community! We're so glad to have you!

I love your reward system... what a great idea! It's giving me a story idea.....

Have you checked out our Transitioning Blogging area?

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • changes2010changes2010 Posts: 2Registered Users
    OMG:thumright:I totally LOOOOOVE your idea of rewarding yourself it is BRILLIANT! LOL at the $20.00 week. U need to do a blog so I can follow and u can update us on how much money u spend on YOU in February. I would suggest going to the dollar store and getting one of those old fashioned plastic piggy banks that u actually have to cut open to get the money (I gave them to my nieces) I too have been lurking and finally joined today. Glad to see more ummmm "adults" doing the transition. I will be 42 in September and I got my last relaxer in December, so 6 months and counting WOOOHOOO! I have been talked off the edge a few times by a fellow member she is a treasure, I call her my transitioning angel of mercy:)

40 is the new 30.....u can do this, good luck on your journey.
  • 20feettall7120feettall71 Posts: 3Registered Users
    Gretchen, thanks! I will check out the blog area.

changes2010, thank you - it is really helping me to keep going. I'm also glad to see that I'm not the only "over 35" person doing the transition thing. LOL! Amazingly, this is almost as exciting for me as when I was planning my wedding or waiting for the birth of my daughter. All of the research and spending I've been doing kind of reminds me of that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file