Maaan... I can't part my hair for Shiznit!

Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
Really tho... my hair is crazy thick. I finally learned how to do flat twists... but I can't get my parts to be neat and straight. Whenever I make a part it looks like I left hair in it! I really wanna flat twist the front of my hair and have a twist out in the back. I don't wanna pay nobody to do it tho...

Any thick-haired 4A's got any suggestions?
subbrock wrote: »
- don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

Comments

• NubianCoilsNubianCoils Posts: 2,149Registered Users
    Yeah, I got a suggestion: STOP BRAGGING!:tongue1:
    Defeated the Relaxer: January 2001 :boxing:
    Dreadlocks Since: March 2001
    Cut Dreadlocks: February 2009:afro:

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

Full head of 4a hair!:wav:
  • Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    This aint braggin... I really need help... This sh*t aint fun or cute... my flat twists look sloppy. not the twists themselves but because the parts look so damn raggedy.

Your siggy says you got a full head of 4A hair... can you help me!
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com

• CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    Are you doing them on wet or dry hair?

I suggest stretching your hair and letting it dry , then trying to flattwist, you can see your scalp better that way
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I suggest stretching your hair and letting it dry , then trying to flattwist, you can see your scalp better that way

This sounds good...would you be opposed to blowing it out then twisting?
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

I did it on dry stretched hair. But I might have to blow it out at the root for the parts.... I just have a fear of Blow dryers...

www.lifestarbeauty.com

ok so stretch your hair and then braid your hair into cornrows, after that take them out, usually my hair is really stretched when i air dry in cornrows.

when im ready to flattwist, I take duck bills and section off the hair im not using and leave out the one section. Maybe you could try using duckbills or clips
    ok so stretch your hair and then braid your hair into cornrows, after that take them out, usually my hair is really stretched when i air dry in cornrows.

when im ready to flattwist, I take duck bills and section off the hair im not using and leave out the one section. Maybe you could try using duckbills or clips
    what are duckbills? Are they like those metal clips? I've tried parting with those things... I can never do it straight. I even try with a rat tail comb.. i feel like it doesn't do a good job either... But I don't know how to cornrow btw.. I just learned flat twists.... I tried cornrowing... it was too hard and came out a HOT mess lol.

www.lifestarbeauty.com

• SummerRubySummerRuby Posts: 468Registered Users
    This is a duckbill clip.

Anyway, try doing it on freshly moisturized, soaking wet hair. Not damp, soaking wet--it provides just a bit more slip. And on that wet hair, try parting your hair into the sections with just your fingers first, and then pinning up each section (with a hair-tie or clip or something) so your hair actually stays in the sections. Then take down a section, and straighten/neaten the part up with a rat tail comb, and commence the flat-twisting. When you're finished twisting, repeat this process with each section; do this section by section. Make sure you keep your hair wet/moisturized throughout the styling; it makes the hair much easier to work with. HTH.

• coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    you can part on wet or dry hair. The problem with parting is not the state of the hair, but the tool you use to part. I use a comb with a small metal tail (can find it in sallys, here) to part my hair. Makes clean parts everytime. I also use the duckbill clips to hold the other hair out of the way. If you look at my avatar, those are flat twists in the front with clean azz parts :D
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • SummerRubySummerRuby Posts: 468Registered Users
    coilynapp wrote: »
    you can part on wet or dry hair.

I didn't say she couldn't part on dry hair or that wet hair was the only way to go. I'm just saying that wet hair might be easier to work with, especially if she's just learning how to do flat-twists. For my hair, the state of my hair when I do it is very important, and the results of styling on wet hair compared to styling on dry hair would most likely be completely different.

• coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    SummerRuby wrote: »
    coilynapp wrote: »
    you can part on wet or dry hair.

I didn't say she couldn't part on dry hair or that wet hair was the only way to go. I'm just saying that wet hair might be easier to work with, especially if she's just learning how to do flat-twists. For my hair, the state of my hair when I do it is very important, and the results of styling on wet hair compared to styling on dry hair would most likely be completely different.
    I didn't say you said anything. I was not talking about styling, only about parting. One can successfully part hair while wet or dry--styling is a different story. OP asked about parting, so I answered about parting
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i wish my hair was as thick as yours! :flower:i hardly ever do parts but if i do, i prefer doing it on wet hair with a rat tail comb.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The reason I said dry was because my hair is thick and when wet I cant see my scalp to part it well enough in order for the lines to look straight. It comes out much better on dry stretched hair for myself
  • Nicky791Nicky791 Posts: 679Registered Users
    SummerRuby wrote: »
    This is a duckbill clip.

Anyway, try doing it on freshly moisturized, soaking wet hair. Not damp, soaking wet--it provides just a bit more slip. And on that wet hair, try parting your hair into the sections with just your fingers first, and then pinning up each section (with a hair-tie or clip or something) so your hair actually stays in the sections. Then take down a section, and straighten/neaten the part up with a rat tail comb, and commence the flat-twisting. When you're finished twisting, repeat this process with each section; do this section by section. Make sure you keep your hair wet/moisturized throughout the styling; it makes the hair much easier to work with. HTH.

+1

This is very similiar to the way I style/part for my flat twists. I wear flat twists like 80% of the time and everytime I do them they have to be on wet hair. At first I was using a regular comb to part but the rat-tail comb certainly does wonders! So I would suggest that you invest in one if you plan on doing any styling that involves neat parts.
    Last Relaxer: March 26 2009
    Mini Chop: January 16 2010
    BC: April 4 2010
    Transitioned for 1yr 9days!
    Fotki: http://members.fotki.com/Nicky791/about/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Nicky791
  • NubianCoilsNubianCoils Posts: 2,149Registered Users
    Cali Chik wrote: »
    This aint braggin... I really need help... This sh*t aint fun or cute... my flat twists look sloppy. not the twists themselves but because the parts look so damn raggedy.

Sorry, I can't do them either. I have the same problem as you, I just stopped trying. BUT the suggestions here look pretty good and I plan to give them a try!!:angel9:
    Defeated the Relaxer: January 2001 :boxing:
    Dreadlocks Since: March 2001
    Cut Dreadlocks: February 2009:afro:

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

Full head of 4a hair!:wav:
    Cali Chik wrote: »

Sorry, I can't do them either. I have the same problem as you, I just stopped trying. BUT the suggestions here look pretty good and I plan to give them a try!!:angel9:
    LMAO @ tellin me to stop braggin when you have the same damn problem! haha

But yeah I'mma try it with wet hair once... And I'mma get a rat tail with a metal tail on it. We'll see how it works!

Thanks guys!

www.lifestarbeauty.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file