Needed: Stylist for 4a/3c hair in St Louis, MO!!!

CurvyCurlyCurvyCurly Posts: 442Registered Users
I'm in desperate need of a curly cut and am so apprehensive about going to just any salon. I saw nice reviews of the Frontenac Salon with stylist Jamie and decent reviews of Bouffant Daddy with stylist Samara.

My hair type is 4a/3c kinky/curly and is about 3 inches past my shoulders; however, my current stylist only knows how to trim my hair when it has been flat ironed straight. My layers don't look too good anymore with wash-n-gos because of the two textures; I look like a stringy mushroom head!!!

Could someone please recommend a stylist well trained and excellent at cutting kinky/curly hair using 'curly cut' or Deva methods in the St. Louis or surrounding area???
(Current Rotation) Shampoo: Trader Joe's TTT, Terressentials, Elucence, Curl Junkie Daily Fix Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab Leave-in/Moisturizer: Qhemet's BRBC Gel: Tresemme Oils: Grapeseed, jojoba, evoo, sweet almond, castor....BIG CHOPPED AGAIN!

Comments

• talymotalymo Posts: 11Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I would recommend you try Selah Salon and Day Spa that is in downtown St. Louis. Try the owner LaWanda or Roz for your curly cut. LaWanda was the one who convinced me to go natural almost 3 yrs ago and I go there every 3 months or so to trim ends especially this past year because I kept wanting to wear my natural curl and then flat iron it so I had that stringy mushroom head too!! But they both know how to trim curly hair w/o straightening it. 314-588-1335. Good luck!!
  • CurvyCurlyCurvyCurly Posts: 442Registered Users
    Talymo - Thanks for the suggestion!! I'm glad to hear someone out there can relate to and understand my "stringy mushroom head" comment!!! My hair is only straightened once every 3 months when it's trimmed, but even then, the smell of pressed hair drives me crazy and I feel as though my hair sustains damage.

I like the shape of your cut on your avatar.

Selah Salon and Day Spa's website was quite nice. I work in the downtown area and have never heard of this place. I'll definitely let you know if I go with this salon and how my cut turns out.

Thanks!
    (Current Rotation) Shampoo: Trader Joe's TTT, Terressentials, Elucence, Curl Junkie Daily Fix Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab Leave-in/Moisturizer: Qhemet's BRBC Gel: Tresemme Oils: Grapeseed, jojoba, evoo, sweet almond, castor....BIG CHOPPED AGAIN!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Talymo, would you mind adding that salon to the [URL="hhttp://www.naturallycurly.com/curlsalonsttp://"]Salon Reviews[/URL] along with your comments ? Sounds like a good salon.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • LovelyCoilsLovelyCoils Posts: 24Registered Users
    CurvyCurly wrote: »
    I'm in desperate need of a curly cut and am so apprehensive about going to just any salon. I saw nice reviews of the Frontenac Salon with stylist Jamie and decent reviews of Bouffant Daddy with stylist Samara.

My hair type is 4a/3c kinky/curly and is about 3 inches past my shoulders; however, my current stylist only knows how to trim my hair when it has been flat ironed straight. My layers don't look too good anymore with wash-n-gos because of the two textures; I look like a stringy mushroom head!!!

Could someone please recommend a stylist well trained and excellent at cutting kinky/curly hair using 'curly cut' or Deva methods in the St. Louis or surrounding area???

Omg, I know exactly how you feel...I got my BC at a JC Penney hair salon in Augusta, GA (I was a little too excited about the BC, I guess)...let's just say what I ended up with was not a good look. I need to get a new haircut myself but I'm probably not going anywhere for a while and definitely not a JC Penney salon! Wish I knew of a place here.
    - Haircare is so difficult lol -
    No really solid Regimen yet (still getting to know my hair); here's some of what I've been doing lately
    [My Regimen]
    1. Conditioner:Aussie Moist
    2. Moisture:Water?Sealant: Hot Six Oil
    3. Gels: LA Looks, IC Hair gel
    I Would Love ANY Suggestions: Dense; Porous; Fine strands, coarse hair?; 4a/4b Hair!
  • CurvyCurlyCurvyCurly Posts: 442Registered Users
    LovelyCoils - My relaxed hair was probably 3 inches past my shoulders when I did the BC over 3 years ago after transitioning for 6 months. My current stylist did the chop and it was okay considering I only had 2 inches of hair afterwards. BUT, know that my curly hair is well past my shoulders again it needs to be cut into a style. This same stylist only knows how to cut it straight, not in it's curly state and with 2-3 textures going on, this isn't working for me.

Sorry about your experience with your BC; good thing though, once your hair grows a few more inches you can have it reshaped by a better stylist!!! Start getting recommendations now so you'll have several options when the time comes.......
    CurvyCurly wrote: »
    Talymo - Thanks for the suggestion!! I'm glad to hear someone out there can relate to and understand my "stringy mushroom head" comment!!! My hair is only straightened once every 3 months when it's trimmed, but even then, the smell of pressed hair drives me crazy and I feel as though my hair sustains damage.

I like the shape of your cut on your avatar.

Selah Salon and Day Spa's website was quite nice. I work in the downtown area and have never heard of this place. I'll definitely let you know if I go with this salon and how my cut turns out.

Thanks!

Thanks for your compliment! I too couldn't stand the smeall of pressed hair (especially when I went to wet it to get it curly again)! Please let me know how your visit goes.

My hair has really grown since the avatar pic...I need to update it. I haven't straightened my hair since early Dec.

I am due for a trim over the next few months before the cooler months begin.

I hope your visit goes well! I think Selah just moved to a different spot downtown...they were on Washington & 14th and now I think they are on Olive (downtown)
    Talymo, would you mind adding that salon to the [URL="hhttp://www.naturallycurly.com/curlsalonsttp://"]Salon Reviews[/URL] along with your comments ? Sounds like a good salon.

I will make sure to add Selah to the Salon reviews. Most of the owners' clients wear natural hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file