Going No-Poo - cold turkey or ease into it?

beautifulRainbeautifulRain Posts: 189Registered Users
Hello fellow curlies :)

I am relatively new here... I've been reading the website off and on for a few years now, but just joined the boards.

Anyway, I have naturally curly hair that ranges from 2c to 3b. I think I am average porosity and texture. I don't do permanent color (anymore), just those 28-day things 2 or 3 times a year to mix it up a little, and sometimes I use Sun-In for highlights in the summer. I know some people cringe at Sun-In, but it really doesn't seem to upset my hair, and I can't use typical highlighting kits because I am allergic to them.

So I was looking at some photos, and my hair used to be a lot curlier. In searching the internet for ways to help bring my curls back, I ended up back here and reading about Curly Girl and no/low-poo. I tried low-poo a while back but apparently I wasn't doing it right, and I didn't know about 'cones and such, so I am ready to give it a second chance, armed with this new info and inspired by the before/after thread.

My main question is does it ease the transition to start with low-poo for a while first, and then go no-poo/no-cone? I saw a lot of people talk about the "icky" feeling while their hair adjusted. I am a fitness buff and exercise a lot, so the idea of going no-poo "cold turkey" is a little scary to me. I have some low-poo shampoos already (organix tea tree mint, johnson's baby for curly hair, and the new Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing "low sulfate" shampoo), I just haven't been using them consistently. Yes, I am a bit of a product junkie...

Thanks in advance for the help/advice. I can't wait to see what going CG will do for my hair. :love2:

Here are some pics...

2003: Anniversary2_2.jpg

2003: I wish I could remember what I did to get my hair to look like this! I only remember that I diffused it. I would love to have this every day!
DSC00465.jpg

2005: A particularly good hair day...
MeandPaul_2.jpg

2006: DSC02384.jpg

2007: DSC00085.jpg

2009: DSC02354.jpg
3a/b 'curly bob' in the mid-Atlantic. Goal: more 3b than 3a. CG Oct 2010.

Low-poo: Giovanni TTTT, Ion Swim
Co-wash: V05 Shea Cashmere
Rinse-out: SalonCare Apples & Pears, Tresemme Naturals
Leave-in: Cure Care, Ion Moisturizing Treatment
Stylers: Ecostyler Argan Oil, LALSG, LBLOC, Hold It! Wave Maker, LAL Beachy Waves Spray Gel. Also been using my diffuser more lately.
PT: Ion Reconstructor
DT: GVP Balm, Pure Elements Intense Repairing Treatment
http://beautifulraincurls.blogspot.com/

Comments

• jonquiljonquil Posts: 94Registered Users
    I say cold turkey! I would do a clarifying shampoo the first day and then co-wash until it starts / if it feels icky. After a couple of weeks you should start to get an idea of what works for your hair. You won't know how it will look till you try it. Just make sure you really scrub your scalp with your fingers.

Tresemme low sulfate shampoo is not cg - I think the cleaners they used are still too strong or something.
  • beautifulRainbeautifulRain Posts: 189Registered Users
    Yeah, I know the Tresemme stuff isn't CG... but I thought it might count as a low-poo if there's less of the bad stuff in it. I will probably give that bottle to my mom. I do like the matching conditioner, though. Thanks for your input! :)

Stylers: Ecostyler Argan Oil, LALSG, LBLOC, Hold It! Wave Maker, LAL Beachy Waves Spray Gel. Also been using my diffuser more lately.
  • amberdmamberdm Posts: 37Registered Users
    First, I have to say you have beautiful hair! The short cut really suits your small facial features :)

Second, I want to know who it's going for you? I too have hair between a 2b and 3a and I am a fitness junkie (I teach Zumba). Have you found something that works for you? I want to give CO a chance.
    -Amber, SC
    type 2b/c, thick and wavy; modified CG routine; use a low-poo 2 or 3 times a week and cone free conditioner; currently
    experimenting with different types of products

• beautifulRainbeautifulRain Posts: 189Registered Users
    Thank you, Amber :) My hair is currently like it is in the "2007" picture on most days - wavy-curly and about that length. Hubby wants me to get it cut again like the last photo, he loves it short ;) I don't teach Zumba, but I am in LOVE with it and do a class at least once a week in addition to going to the gym pretty much every day, and running on the weekends as my schedule and the weather allows. Sounds like we are in a similar hair situation :)

I haven't really started this CG thing yet, but I am intrigued by the VO5 Kiwi Lime Conditioner for a co-wash, especially for after workouts. It claims to remove build-up and be "clarifying". http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=&skuId=130388&productId=130388&navAction=jump&navCount=3 And it's on sale at CVS right now for $0.79! (Might be a web-only sale). I also have a bottle of the Suave Coconut conditioner which many people here seem to love for co-wash. I have used it before, but not as a co-wash. For a rinse-out, I just bought Garnier Triple Nutrition Conditioner, and the deep treatment that matches it for weekly treatments. I think I will be starting CG in earnest this weekend. I have a few non-CG products I am trying to use up, LOL. It's been hot and humid in the mid-Atlantic lately, so frizz is an issue right now. I've mostly been doing some research before I take the CG plunge, so to speak. Some people are doing a "modified CG" which I think means they occasionally use a sulfate-free shampoo for a slightly deeper cleaning than what you'd get from a co-wash. This may be something my hair will need, especially with my workout schedule. As jonquil said, I won't know until I give it a try and see what happens. :)

• amberdmamberdm Posts: 37Registered Users
    After doing a lot of reading, I've discovered I have been doing a modified version of CO for years now. My hair tends to be very oily at the scalp so I started washing it every 3rd day a few years ago. The problem is I have been using regular shampoo/conditioners and styling products. I think I'm going to try to make my own "no poo" products (1 tblsp baking soda to every cup of water; 1 tblsp apple cider vinegar to every cup of water (if the ACV doesn't work then I will try honey). I haven't found a conditioner I want to use yet. Currently in my shower I have Arbonne Intelligence Daily Self-Adjusting Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls leave in conditioner, and Garnier Fortifying Deep Conditioner. So far as I can tell none of these products have sulfates in them. I'm thinking of purchasing the Jessicurl sample pack (only $25). If I don't use or like the products I can put them in stockings at Christmas ;)

http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Trial-Size-Collection-Light-p-366.html

I saw you mentioned you were going to use Garnier products. I will tell you from my experience the shampoo is horrible. It makes my hair super frizzy. The Fortifying Deep Conditioner is OK.

Keep in touch!
    -Amber, SC
    type 2b/c, thick and wavy; modified CG routine; use a low-poo 2 or 3 times a week and cone free conditioner; currently
    experimenting with different types of products

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file