Hair History.

Rowan999Rowan999 Posts: 17Registered Users
Hi, everyone. I'm Rowan. I'm sixteen, and curl-fused. Wow, that was a weak pun. Anyway, let me give you a brief history of my hair.
My parents were hippies, or something like that, around the time I was born, so they both had really long hair. My mom's was light brown and wavy, and my dad's was almost black and grew in a huge bushy thing that looked like his jewfro had deflated. I was born bald. My "first" head of hair, as I would call it, grew in stick straight and blonde, gradually getting darker until I was about nine, when my mother let me start highlighting. Then I inexplicably chopped it all off. And I do mean ALL of it. It grew back in medium brown and wavy, and I dyed it every color under the sun until I was twelve, and it gradually got longer and curlier just as I started going through puberty. I chopped it ALL off again when I was twelve, and that brings me to my third head of hair, which stayed dyed black for a long time. Last I remember it was about a 3b type, with big super bouncy corkscrew curls. My friends all liked to tug on the curls and watch them bounce back. My friend Kiki, who was one of the only black girls at our school, was the only friend I had who knew how to do anything with my hair besides straighten it. Her curls were a lot tighter than mine, but they behaved in a really similar way. I moved away from her a few years ago, though, and since then my hair has really one downhill. I used to just pull it back in a bun, but then one fateful day last summer my grandma took me to get it chemically straightened. It didn't work. She spent $700 on my head, and what I wound up with was very loose, very frizzy waves. It also stripped all the black dye from my hair, leaving it various shades of blonde and brown. Now, a year later, my hair has grown out several inches and I sorta kinda tried to get emo bangs. I'm sure you can figure out how well that worked. My mom, who thinks curls are the most beautiful thing on earth short of rainbows and baby ponies and that sort of thing, shakes her head in disgust every time I pull out the straightener. She doesn't understand. She has it easy, just shampooing and then pulling a brush through her hair. She's very low maintenance and things I should be too. But when I try to shampoo and brush my hair I look like static cling. It doesn't help that the bottom half of my hair is straight(ish) while the top half is cotton candy curly cues. So right now I braid my hair and straighten my bangs, and it's dyed a dark maroon-y color. I have no idea what my natural color is, but I seem to remember my roots being very dark last time I let them grow out more than a quarter inch.
Wow, that was not brief at all. Sorry.
So, is there anything I can do to get my curls back, or do I just have to wait until my hair grows out and then chop off the straight part? I refuse to cut my hair short again. My mother, friends, and boyfriend would kill me in various gruesome ways.

Comments

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    What a tale! Love it!

Poke around the site; you'll find lots of great info!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 668Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You definetly can get your curls back. There is going to be a tranistion phase. The first thing to do is to get your hair healthy. I would trim as much as you are comfortable with and keep trimming as your new hair grows. Eventually you will cut the straight parts off. My 16 yr old daughter just cut the remaining 4 inches off the back to get the last of the chemically straightened hair off. Now her hair is curly and healthy. It will take time and this website has a wealth of information to help you with getting your hair back to health.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file