My story :)

BackinBlackBackinBlack Posts: 19Registered Users
Hi! This is my very first post. [I have been lurking or a few days now....:oops:]

I'm going to be needing some help. [Please!] :help:

I'm going to go shampoo-less, and silicone-less.

:eek:

Here's my story...
I've had curly hair all my life. Its 3a, i think. When i was younger, it was pretty, nice, shiny, and curly. Then in the 6th grade, i started to brush it, ALOT. bad, bad, bad. So, for half the 7th grade, i straightened, EVERY DAY. Ahhh! I finally stopped half way into the year. And now, i'm about to go highschool. so, its been about a year and a half, and my hair pretty much recovered. I just don't know how to properley take care of it! So, over the week, me and my mom are going to go out and get some new prouducts. :thumbup:

i'm just not sure what i should buy! My hair is VERY thin, but thank god my curls give me SOME body. It is easily weighed down, but needs a firm hold. I'm most likely getting a Suave or V05 conditionar. Is that good? I read on here somewhere those are the cheeper ones. And, i have no idea what styling prouducts to use! I know for sure not mouse, (however you spell it) becasue i get SUPER crunchy, thin, gross looking hair. My hair likes light gels, sometimes gel-creams. but i have yet to fine a silicone free winner.

I like to diffuse my hair, but it gets some fly-aways. I recently did the super-soaker thingy, and....eww..too much clumps for my thin Hair! i think i had-- max--7 curls! :sad3:

I have never had a relaxer, or any chemical really, i think the one and only time was highlighting my hair at the begining of this year :joker:

I'd say my hair is pretty heathy, its shiny and all, but pretty limp. Its straight for a few inches on top, i just CAN'T get it to curl!!!! Oh, and my hair is about 2-2 1/2 inches past my shoulders. It's A BUNCH longer when straight. And, i haven't straightened my hair in months :) I think only 2 times this year I've straightened it.

So, my questions are- What conditionar? What styling prouducts? How should i style my hair? Any tips for going shampoo-less? And anything else!
Anyways, thank you to all who will [Hopefully!] Answer! If there is anything else i need to tell you, just ask! [By the way, my 'f' key is all weird, so i may miss it sometimes! Sorry in advance! And, i suck at spelling!]
:blob2:
Hair: 3a and very fine
CO-wash and condish: Suave naturals Coconut
Style: LA looks sport gel, Scrunch with old t-shirt and go!
Started CG: June 27, 2010:toothy7:
Learning to love my curls!

"We are all born ignornt, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

Comments

• RoCurlsRoCurls Posts: 33Registered Users
    Hi! This is my very first post. [I have been lurking or a few days now....:oops:]

I'm going to be needing some help. [Please!] :help:

I'm going to go shampoo-less, and silicone-less.

:eek:

Here's my story...
    I've had curly hair all my life. Its 3a, i think. When i was younger, it was pretty, nice, shiny, and curly. Then in the 6th grade, i started to brush it, ALOT. bad, bad, bad. So, for half the 7th grade, i straightened, EVERY DAY. Ahhh! I finally stopped half way into the year. And now, i'm about to go highschool. so, its been about a year and a half, and my hair pretty much recovered. I just don't know how to properley take care of it! So, over the week, me and my mom are going to go out and get some new prouducts. :thumbup:

i'm just not sure what i should buy! My hair is VERY thin, but thank god my curls give me SOME body. It is easily weighed down, but needs a firm hold. I'm most likely getting a Suave or V05 conditionar. Is that good? I read on here somewhere those are the cheeper ones. And, i have no idea what styling prouducts to use! I know for sure not mouse, (however you spell it) becasue i get SUPER crunchy, thin, gross looking hair. My hair likes light gels, sometimes gel-creams. but i have yet to fine a silicone free winner.

I like to diffuse my hair, but it gets some fly-aways. I recently did the super-soaker thingy, and....eww..too much clumps for my thin Hair! i think i had-- max--7 curls! :sad3:

I have never had a relaxer, or any chemical really, i think the one and only time was highlighting my hair at the begining of this year :joker:

I'd say my hair is pretty heathy, its shiny and all, but pretty limp. Its straight for a few inches on top, i just CAN'T get it to curl!!!! Oh, and my hair is about 2-2 1/2 inches past my shoulders. It's A BUNCH longer when straight. And, i haven't straightened my hair in months :) I think only 2 times this year I've straightened it.

So, my questions are- What conditionar? What styling prouducts? How should i style my hair? Any tips for going shampoo-less? And anything else!
    Anyways, thank you to all who will [Hopefully!] Answer! If there is anything else i need to tell you, just ask! [By the way, my 'f' key is all weird, so i may miss it sometimes! Sorry in advance! And, i suck at spelling!]
    :blob2:
    Hi! I'm really excited for you going the CG Route. You're going to love it!
    A really nice, light conditioner that I personally use is the TREsemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture. It's 'cone free and smells AMAZING! As for styling products, I've heard a lot of good things about Herbal Essences (....try Body Envy, for more volume) and Garnier Gels. I don't use the store brand gels, because I use the ones from my mom's business, but again, I've heard good things about the above mentioned gels. For styling, just get out of the shower, scrunch a little with a towel, and apply your styling products. Then diffuse or air-dry or plop, whichever floats your boat. :)
    For going shampoo-less, be prepared for a short while of icky hair.:sad3: I never went through a really bad transitioning period, and I hope you don't either. Just remember that in the long run, your hair is becoming healthier, no matter how bad it looks at the moment. If you wash your hair at night, I suggest plopping while you sleep. There's a few threads on here that explain how.. sorry I don't have the link! Also, if you can't wash your hair everyday, try pineappling overnight. Basically, just put your curls in a LOOSE ponytail on top of your head.:joker:
    Best of luck! Hugs and more hugs!
    BTW, I'm going to be a freshman this year too! :thumbup:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CG has taught me that my hair is indeed lovely... both wet AND dry!:blob5:
    Shampoo: Body Blends Naturals Bamboo-Green Tea Sulfate Free
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Coconut
    LIC's: Aussie Hair Insurance and VO5 Kiwi-Lime conditioner
    Gel: Satinique Extra-Design Styling Gel and Paul Mitchell Round Trip
    Randoms: Weekly Sesame Oil, DevaCurl Mist-er Right
  • BackinBlackBackinBlack Posts: 19Registered Users
    Thanks for the reply! Glag to have found another freshman.

I usually air dry after scruncing with some gel. Its my norm. :happy6:

Well, im going out today to get some stuff or my hair. Suave or v05 conditionar, la looks gel [if i can find it!], and giovanni leave in. I've heard great reviews on them, so i'll try them. I'm also gonna look into Biosilk. Do you know any good drugstore name CG brands? I'd love to try them!

I can't wait to begin loving my curls! :love7:

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The VO5 conditioner (especially the Kiwi Lime), or Suave Naturals conditioner (especially the coconut) sound like good choices for you. They're very reasonably priced, do a good job, and a pretty easy to find just about anywhere.

With fine, limp hair, I suspect you'd do well to add protein to the mix. I have an itty bitty bottle of Neutral Protein Filler that I got at Sally's almost two years ago. When my superfine hair gets limp, I add a few drops to my rinse out conditioner (which can be the same as the one you use for co-washing), and it really seems to give my hair a little oomph.

For gel, you might want to consider either EcoStyler Krystal Ice or Proclaim (also at Sally's) Crystal Ice. They have protein in them, which will also help bulk up your hair. The LA Looks gel is nice also. Another gel I like is KissMyFace Upper Management (dark green bottle in the natural personal care products section), which is plenty strong for my hair, although I think KMF considers it medium hold. For what it's worth, Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee makes my hair like concrete.

HTH
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    Thanks for the advice! I got Suave coconut conditionar. And the L.A. Looks gel. I couldent find any leave in, exept for this organic olive oil stuff. It only has one cone, way down on the list, so i figured it was ok. Its really thick and smells really good too :color:

I can't wait to try them tomorrow! I'm planning on just useing the Suave as a co-wash, and then useing the leave in as my other condish. Is that ok, or do i *have* to get another conditionar to wash out? I figured i wasn't going to need both, becasue my hair is soooo thin. I'll see how my hair looks tomorrow and update you guys!

And do you have and sugestions on how to style my hair other then scrunch and go, or diffuseing?

thanks!!! :happy8:

I'd suggest taking the leave in back if it's got a cone.

The problem with cones, aside from the fact that they coat your hair and prevent moisture from entering, is that you can't remove them without sulfate poos, or at least baking soda, which you have to follow with an acidic rinse. It's much kinder to your hair to remove the need to do so by avoiding cones to begin with.

I usually don't use a special leave in conditioner, and I rarely use any conditioner as a leave in during the summer. Any conditioner can be used as a leave in, including Suave Naturals or VO5 conditioner. But many of us don't feel any need for a leave in during the summer.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008
    But if I do that baking soda/ vinager rinse every once in a while, My hair should be fine, right? I'm doing that tomorrow morning when i take my shower, to start on a clean slate! I'd really like to be able to keep that prouduct. I already opened it, and I don't exactly have that much money to spend on my hair.

And thanks for the condish advice. I Live in a VERY dry climate, so i'll probably use a *little* bit of leave in, with my co-wash.

Thanks again! :glasses7:

It's always your choice what to use on your hair.

My choice was to eliminate all silicones because I didn't want to have to use harsher cleansers on my hair. I wanted to help my hair return to the healthiest state possible as quickly as possible. So I bit the bullet and didn't use up the stuff I had which had sulfates or cones in it, and I didn't buy any more of them, no matter how tempting it was.

My hair improved immediately when I stopped using all sulfates and cones, then continued to improve. The biggest change in it came when I finally had all of the last of the hair from before I went CG cut off. So I think my choice was right for me.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008
    I think i'll try that. I gave the olive oil stuff to my mom, who has straight hair, so she will most likely use it. Now i don't feel bad about not using it. :roll:

I now have no silicones in my Hairs 'diet' an i did that Clarifying thingy with the baking soda/vinager this morning, and my hair feels great! Now i'm full CG! Even though its only been a few hours...:toothy10:

Even though now all i have for my hair is the condish, and the gel, oh well.

By the way, the La looks gel works GREAT on my hair. It could be just the dramatic change, or who knows what, but its the best gel i've EVER used!! It was a *bit* crunchy, but i scrunched it out. Its amazing. I love the stuff. :love7:

What is a drug store leave in, or frizz cream i could use on my hair? I couln't find any of the giovanni leave in. I'd really like something else for my hair, that i can try. Thanks!

You can just use a little of the conditioner you already have. You don't need to use a different conditioner as a leave in.

Part of the beauty of going CG is that you don't need to use a lot of different products. A lot of us do, but it isn't necessary. Anything else is just tweaking the method.

I find that if things aren't going well for my hair, going back to those two basics is a good way to start figuring out what the problem is. If that doesn't work, I may low-poo or do a baking soda cleanse followed by an apple cider vinegar rinse. If that doesn't, it's time for my next Deva cut.

Now that I've been CGing for two years (today!), I have a better sense about what I might need to change, if things aren't going right. I also have a good sense what to change before my hair tells me, just by watching the dew point, and other environmental factors.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file