CurlTalk

Success with Tightly Curly Method?

currlyQ4dayscurrlyQ4days Posts: 123Registered Users
Hi Everyone,

My darling beautiful! :) daughter is I think a (4a) and I am trying the tightly curly method on her tonight. I primed her head and now have in 4 braids...will let her sleep like that tonite with a silk bonnet.

Has anyone been successful with their little ones and this method?

Her hair shrinks up alot!

I have also tried [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] on her and it looked really healthy and shiny but a lottttttttttttttt of shrinkage! (see attachment) I have to say I really love the slip of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink], that will definitely be a staple in our hair product routine!

TIA
  • 3c & 3b, Normal Porosity, Very Very Coarse and Protein Sensitive
  • Shampoo: Deva Curl No Poo, Kinky Curly Come Clean
  • Conditioner: Deva Curl One, Castor Oil,
  • Styling: Expiramenting with FSG

"Time to own this poodle!!!"

Comments

• Hakim NuraldinHakim Nuraldin Posts: 1,467Registered Users
    She is so adorable!

I love her hair!
  • currlyQ4dayscurrlyQ4days Posts: 123Registered Users
    She is so adorable!

I love her hair!

Thanks Hakim! She is 5.. and we are really working on getting her to love her hair!

• MarsBarsJarsMarsBarsJars Posts: 5Registered Users
    How did the TC method work?

I want to try it on my daughter. Her hair is 3c.
    ..in desperate need of assistance..
    Mars wrote: »
    How did the TC method work?

I want to try it on my daughter. Her hair is 3c.

Hi! My daughter is more 4a and I couldn't figure it out. Just conditioner is not enough for her... well maybe I wasn't doing it right? LOLLLL Oh well...

We have been using the Kinky Curly Curling Custard to do Twist outs/Braid outs and it looks really nice. She also loves how it smells, she thinks it smells like chocolate!! I just love the leave in conditoner Knot Today... Soooooooo... we'll be doing that at least for a little while!

Sorry, Hope that helps!

P.S. I'm a 3c/3b and I'm still trying to figure out how I can go with just conditioner and no gel!!! ;-)

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    both of you have gorgeous curls!
    Thank you Subbrock!

Your daughter in your signature is precious!

• Kris&herKurlyKidsKris&herKurlyKids Posts: 55Registered Users
    She is a doll! And she has beautiful hair.

I use the tightly curly method on both of my kids. My DD's hair is in my avi. I love it for my basic method of caring for their hair, though I may add in other things during the week depending on how I am fixing my DD's hair.

I've also found with my son that using either a little gel or curl creme when I do the twirls helps them hold a little longer.

Also, I had to play around with it before I really got the results I wanted and realized when she describes using A LOT of conditioner - she means A LOT. I was scared to use that much at first, but put it in there until it foams - like she describes. I put a lot in just in my DS's little head of hair, but their hair soaks ups the moisture - so the more, the better.
    Me: 2c, medium-coarse, thick
    Began my mod-CG routine May 2010

DD (6 yo): 3c (tightly-curly girl) - now loving KCCC for her!
    DS (3 yo): a mix of 3b/3c/4a

I use the tightly curly method on both of my kids. My DD's hair is in my avi. I love it for my basic method of caring for their hair, though I may add in other things during the week depending on how I am fixing my DD's hair.

I've also found with my son that using either a little gel or curl creme when I do the twirls helps them hold a little longer.

Also, I had to play around with it before I really got the results I wanted and realized when she describes using A LOT of conditioner - she means A LOT. I was scared to use that much at first, but put it in there until it foams - like she describes. I put a lot in just in my DS's little head of hair, but their hair soaks ups the moisture - so the more, the better.

Thanks, maybe I will try again and really goop on the conditioner... Do you use one of her recommended ones?

Thanks, maybe I will try again and really goop on the conditioner... Do you use one of her recommended ones?

Yes, for my DD I'm using HE Hello Hydration. I want to eventually switch her to CG once I find a CG-friendly conditioner that I like for her hair. For my DS, I'm using Giovanni 50:50 and SAS - so he's already a CGuy.

Yes, for my DD I'm using HE Hello Hydration. I want to eventually switch her to CG once I find a CG-friendly conditioner that I like for her hair. For my DS, I'm using Giovanni 50:50 and SAS - so he's already a CGuy.

Thanks Kris, My daughter is 5 and I have a 4 year old son.. but I have my husband give him a haircut every 2 weeks! LOLLLL It looks really good, and I don't want to have to worry about another child's hair! :)

They are too cute! I am sure my husband will be eventually cutting our son's hair too so I'm trying to enjoy his curls while I have control. LOL

I keep telling him that his hair hasn't fully grown in yet - so he won't be tempted to cut it.

Too funny! My husband gave my son his first low cut at 9 months!
    I was mortified!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He had some big curls, but it was all uneven....I was so sad, when he cut it off...

Now he's 4 and NOW I have to get on my husband to keep him cut and edged. Now I'm spoiled, I'm not ready to have to take care of his curls...

• MarsBarsJarsMarsBarsJars Posts: 5Registered Users
    I bought some of the combing conditioners this weekend so I'll try it with my daughter over the weekend as we're going to the beach and I always put conditioner in her hair and mine when we go to the beach.

I was hoping to get the Giovanni but I haven't found the one she listed here (I live in Barbados). I bought the Hello Hydration and Break's Over. I'm going to check some health stores to see if I get lucky with the Giovanni. My daughter is only 17 1/2 months so I'm not keen to try the scented products for any extended period of time.

You all have beautiful children.
    ..in desperate need of assistance..
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 8,424Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    What is the tightly curly method?

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

• KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Posts: 714Registered Users
    I don't have kids, and my hair is probably much thicker than your daughter's. However, Teri's method works wonderfully for me. Unlike Teri, I prefer to stay away from silicones. (I currently use Renpure to cowash / detangle and Tresemme Naturals as a leave-in.) I also add a little bit of gel (Biotera) mixed with a few drops of coconut oil. (You may not need this for your daughter.) Although, I prefer to detangle in the shower with a Mebco wide-toothed comb, the twirling and smoothing method is what really does the trick for my frizz-prone curls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.twitter.com%2Fkurleeedna" class="Popup
  • curlyjannahcurlyjannah Posts: 10Registered Users
    Your kids are absolutely adorable! I have a 4 year old myself, and a 5 year old boy who's hair is very curly.

When I first started reading online about how to take care of my dd's hair with 3c, 4a hair, tightlycurly website is the first that I came across. I tried it the following day with just conditioner, which I must say was mind-boggling, but I tried it anyway. I was like "just conditioner? Don't wash it out?" But to my surprise, she was able to wear her hair out for the first time ever, although her hair shrunk up to her ears. It lasted for a long time and stayed shiny for about 5 days. I used L'oreal Nutri-Gloss for long dull hair or something because that was the only one I had on hand and used for myself.
    I haven't tried it with hello hydration though.
    Oh one more thing, I applied the conditioner in the tub, and to each section. The sections were only a dime size and if it was any bigger than that, than the curl will not stay. Start twisting the hair at the scalp and keep turning until the ends.

hope this helps
    CurlyJannah.Blogspot.com
    kids hair blog: www.CurlyJannah.Blogspot.com :nemo:
  • bdtaylorbdtaylor Posts: 16Registered Users
    Me and my 4 year old are both using the tightly curly method but we have 3C hair. As someone previously stated you need lots of conditioner. I think it works great on both of our hair. I also mix a littel EVCO in my conditioner to make it a little more moisterizing. Also I clip my daughter hair up using a single prong hair clip at night and she sleeps in a satin cap which helps preserve her curls

Good luck!
  • optimus21optimus21 Posts: 24Registered Users
    This is pretty much the only method I use. I use Paula's Chice for the conditioner ( ihave tried many listed on her site and this one works best with my daughters hair)Here is a pic of her (the older) I do modify it a bit. I pretty much finger comb her hair with Paulas choice and really only define the crown part as it is a different texture and really needs more conditioner. I dont pin her hair up at night but she does sleep on satin sheets and pillow case. She wont wear a hair cover. Shes 3 and way too actice to keep it on.
    DSC_0843.jpg
    DSC_2737-1.jpg
    Miss E turning 2 in a month

DSC_2731-1.jpg
    Miss I - 4 years old
  • jacgharrisjacgharris Posts: 6Registered Users
    I've used the tightly curly method on my hair. I'm still learning about the hair types, but I think I’m a 4a. I used the tightly curly method for almost a year and found it to work really nice on my hair, but I alter the smoothing part. Instead of identifying the individual clumps (since my hair shrinks so much), I use the denman brush as my way of clumping my hair then braid medium sections of my hair.

Once it dries, I unbraid the hair gently with moistened fingers (either olive oil or conditioner/water) and the clumps come out cute and stretched. Lately I've deviated from the method to try other techniques, but I still love it and it make my hair really soft and shiny.

I get the most shine with Herbal essence conditioners and Aussie. I'm looking forward to try the Alaffia conditioner with shea butter.

Jennifer, 4a
    Florida
  • ladywill95ladywill95 Posts: 3Registered Users
    Would you recommed this for a 4b hair type?
  • EmsMomEmsMom Posts: 13Registered Users
    I just found out about the tightly curly method yesterday and ordered the book from B & N. Your daughter is beautiful (all the kids I have seen in this thread are absolutely adorable). I'm excited to try the method on my 11 year old. She has been teased lately about her hair at school and it breaks my heart. I have tried since she was born to learn everything I can on taking care of her gorgeous curls and I want her to grow up to love them as well.

BTW - what is KCKT and KCCC? Thanks!
  • jacgharrisjacgharris Posts: 6Registered Users
    Yes, this does work on 4 b hair but mostly set in twists or braids.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using CurlTalk App