Dyeing hair while pregnant

velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
Ladies ...

Do any of you color your hair while you're pregnant? I need to touch of my roots but I'm sort of afraid to do so until I'm out of the first trimester. I don't bleach, but I do want to use a chemical dye because I need to cover up some greys (le sigh). I've heard some people say yes, others say no, so I just wanted to hear the general consensus from around here.

Thanks!
3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png

Comments

• DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I didn't but my midwife said that it is okay beyond the first trimester. Some doctors okay it even during the first but I would wait until all of the important parts are formed and make sure to be in a well ventilated area.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    I was reading in the babycenter.com magazine I get that it was OK. But if you could hold out until your second trimester then I would or you will worry the whole time about if it did anything. They did say that now days the dyes are a lot more mild then they were way back when.
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    In my FAQ sheet my OBGYN handed out, he said it was fine to dye your hair. And so I did. He also said some caffine was ok. I heart him a little.
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I get highlights ( retouched last night in fact) and my ob said it wasn't a big deal, unless you're doing it all the time. Foil highlights are even less of a concern because the creme isn't touching your scalp.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I used henna when I was pregnant mainly because I was so damn nauseous and uncomfortable that I couldn't imagine sitting in a stylist's chair for a few hours. Next time I'll probably just use regular dye (the henna never did take all that well). I also plan to make a note to touch up my roots regularly while I am trying to have a baby so I don't get caught in a desperate gray situation in my first Trimester like last time.
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    Good to hear. I think I'm going to try and hold off for a few weeks and then get my hair done just before Xmas. Thanks!
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Every time I heard people on the radio chastize some celebrity for dying their hair while pregnant I would roll my eyes.

I guess there is SOME concern with the dye getting into your system, but in order for it to absorb into your body through your scalp it would have to sit there WAY longer than the dye does.

The only thing I'd be careful of is your hair is probably going to absorb the color A LOT the first time, and then after a while it just may not process at all.

I dyed mine w/ a semi a while back and it was SO dark. So a few weeks later I put a lighter permanent on it and it wouldn't take. I'm not going to bother doing it again b/c I just don't think it's going to absorb the color. I'm totally annoyed.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I highlighted my hair all during my pregnancy every 8 to 10 weeks. No problems with the color taking. I did however notice my natural hair darkened during my pregnancy. I'm hoping I lighten back up...
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    Has anyone seen whether there are actual studies on this subject? I'm interested to know if there is data to back up the claim that it is either safe or not safe, or whether it's just speculation on both sides.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • beliciousbelicious Posts: 196Registered Users
    I am dying mine. I waited out the first trimester and boy did my roots look pretty then. I use the Robert Craig haircolor which has no fumes.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    My hair shrinks or expands according to the humidity and my hair products. ;)
    2C hair, thick and coarse and dry
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    I used to work at a high end salon, and there were women who worked there while pregnant and used dye everyday.
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used to work at a high end salon, and there were women who worked there while pregnant and used dye everyday.

That's a really good point. I don't imagine a hairstylist stops using color b/c she's pregnant.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

That's what I think. My mom owned a salon for ages and no one ever stopped working because they were pregnant unless they just wanted to be a stay at home mom.
  • CsaracCsarac Posts: 861Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I dyed my hair from day one and all through both my pregnancies - I have a lot of gray for a 36 year old, and I'm vain.
    HG: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (always and forever)
    Cantu Naturals s & c (shampoo 1x a week), use conditioner as a co-wash every day and LI under my gel.

Air dry then diffuse canapy layers only for volume
    Coconut oil before/after coloring grays and on ends.

2b/c mix waves/curls - coarse, frizz prone, med. thick, porous, at-home color, protein sensitive but I still need it sometimes, glycerin-sensitive (I think) in high humidity. After 16 years on NC.com I FINALLY figured it out..

• three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    One of the girls who worked in the salon had her own OB/GYN for a client. I'm sure if there had been a concern she would have expressed it. There were plenty of talented people who could have applied a simple one process color.
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file