Going CG- I don't know if I can do this

Maybe I just need support, because I can't get past the 5th day mess...HELP. I am right about to give up. I have read that a lot of people have a hard time in the begging, but this is bad. I had beautiful hair for about two days, and on the third day it went south. Now it's hot as heck, and frizzing like crazy. The more moisture I put in, the more lifeless it is getting. I feel like I am weighing it down too much.

I am about to go do a ACV & BS rinse, but after that I have no clue what to do next.

I am using the bosley hair care line, for noticeably thinning hair. I love it, but maybe it's not as moisturizing as I thought it was?!?!

What I am using-
bosley condish
Kiss my face upper management gel, which was amazing at first, but now IDK?!?!
Giovanni- leave in condish
Kinky Curly- pomade
and in a pure panic, I got some aloeV gel and used that a few times today.
I also spray myself down with Lavender water that I made. I just started doing that last night, so I don't think that is causing this issue.

I am 3b- Med- porosity- fine & really really thin.
~Kristen
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<<-working my way back to this!!
My hair when I was 17 and had no idea how to flatten it.

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    Welcome :) The beginning is pretty hard to get through, but once you start to figure things out and adjust, it gets much easier!

Just from looking at your routine, it does sound like you're getting too much moisture. Fine hair needs more protein than moisture anyway. I'd ditch the leave-in to start with. It'll help in the winter, but not so much in the summer if you don't have a high porosity.

The best advice I was given when starting was to take it slow. Start with one conditioner (or a co-wash and separate rinse-out) and one styling product (gel). After a few weeks (that may seem like forever!), your hair will be through the adjustment phase. Then you can decide what your hair really likes as you start to experiment.

So that's my advice - start slow. It can be really hard when things aren't looking (or feeling) that great and fellow PJs are raving about all these products. But it's better in the long run (plus it saves you some money!).

I've never heard of your conditioner - can you post the ingredients? You'll definitely want something with protein too.

ACV sounds like a good idea. It'll help with the overconditioning. I wouldn't do a BS rinse unless you feel like you have a lot of build-up. If so, do that first and then follow with ACV.

Good luck! Once you get through the adjustment, it really does get better :)
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    All good advice - I was about to caution her about doing ACV and BS together lest she get a volcanic eruption on her head, LOL! Also, to question her protein sensitivity since I've finally come around to the fact that my hair was needing a lot more than I was giving it - fine hair often needs it. Mine hasn't always been fine, so it took me a while to realize it.

Dannysgirl, when all's said and done, you may find like a lot of us with finer hair, that you just can't go strictly CG, although yours being curlier may allow it.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Just to reiterate what curlyjenn10 said, for emphasis. If you use baking soda, use it before the vinegar rinse. The baking soda is alkaline, and could be damaging to your hair if you don't re-set the pH with a vinegar or lemon juice (i.e. acidic) rinse.

I totally agree with starting slow. Keep it basic until you've got your feet under you, and feel confident with CGing. For that matter, any time things seem not to be going well (often the case with a change of season or major weather changes), I find it helpful to go back to basics, then tweak from there.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • dannysgirl777dannysgirl777 Posts: 70Registered Users
    Thanks so much ladies...I did end up doing a rinse last night, but this morning things were still rough, so I shampooed ;(

I don't know why I said both ACV & BS together, I meant one or the other. I noticed that I typed that after reading the replies.

I am a preschool teacher, and when we do our ocean unit, I use vinegar and baking soda together to make a tide LOL! Must have been on the brain ;)

Thanks again. This is WORK!! I can not wait to do it right though!!
    ~Kristen
    Mine hasn't been fine always either. I think I will give it some more, to see what it does.

I had a thyroid problem for YEARS. Took medication and everything and all of a sudden it's gone. However, my hair is so thin now. I use the bosley, and it really is working to grow some back. I am debating finishing off the bottle, and switching to something else.
    auntnett wrote: »
    All good advice - I was about to caution her about doing ACV and BS together lest she get a volcanic eruption on her head, LOL! Also, to question her protein sensitivity since I've finally come around to the fact that my hair was needing a lot more than I was giving it - fine hair often needs it. Mine hasn't always been fine, so it took me a while to realize it.

Dannysgirl, when all's said and done, you may find like a lot of us with finer hair, that you just can't go strictly CG, although yours being curlier may allow it.
    ~Kristen
    Thank you for all of your help Jenn. I really want to get this right, and get so frustrated when it doesn't I am going to start again Monday. I am wondering about the protein thing too. My hair is tricky, because I lost a lot of it for years with some medical issues. I can't seem to figure out what it wants now.

Here are the ingredients for bosley. It's basically to help me regrow some of my hair. You can see my scalp right through my hair.

Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Bromide,
    Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Polyacrylate-1 Crosspolymer, Polysorbate 60, Citric Acid, Menthol, Ceteareth-20,
    Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Orbignya Speciosa Kernel Oil, Panthenol, Hydroxyethylcellulose,
    Sodium Benzoate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dimethicone, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Glycerin, Aminomethyl
    Propanol, Astrocaryum Murumuru Seed Butter, Xylitylglucoside, Amodimethicone, Anhydroxylitol, Polyquaternium-11,
    Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Xylitol, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Hexyl
    Cinnamal, Trideceth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, Cetrimonium Chloride, Rice Amino Acids, Macrocystis Pyrifera Extract, C12-
    16 Pareth-9, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Polyamide-2, Methylisothiazolinone,
    Blue 1, Yellow 5, Myristoyl Pentapeptide-17
    Welcome :) The beginning is pretty hard to get through, but once you start to figure things out and adjust, it gets much easier!

Just from looking at your routine, it does sound like you're getting too much moisture. Fine hair needs more protein than moisture anyway. I'd ditch the leave-in to start with. It'll help in the winter, but not so much in the summer if you don't have a high porosity.

The best advice I was given when starting was to take it slow. Start with one conditioner (or a co-wash and separate rinse-out) and one styling product (gel). After a few weeks (that may seem like forever!), your hair will be through the adjustment phase. Then you can decide what your hair really likes as you start to experiment.

So that's my advice - start slow. It can be really hard when things aren't looking (or feeling) that great and fellow PJs are raving about all these products. But it's better in the long run (plus it saves you some money!).

I've never heard of your conditioner - can you post the ingredients? You'll definitely want something with protein too.

ACV sounds like a good idea. It'll help with the overconditioning. I wouldn't do a BS rinse unless you feel like you have a lot of build-up. If so, do that first and then follow with ACV.

~Kristen
    OH Freaking GREAT!

I SWORE this was okay to use. maybe this is the problem!! I stood there and read all the ingredients.

GREAT!!!! I just bought this stuff UGH!

Thank you for all of your help Jenn. I really want to get this right, and get so frustrated when it doesn't I am going to start again Monday. I am wondering about the protein thing too. My hair is tricky, because I lost a lot of it for years with some medical issues. I can't seem to figure out what it wants now.

Here are the ingredients for bosley. It's basically to help me regrow some of my hair. You can see my scalp right through my hair.

Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Bromide,
    Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Polyacrylate-1 Crosspolymer, Polysorbate 60, Citric Acid, Menthol, Ceteareth-20,
    Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Orbignya Speciosa Kernel Oil, Panthenol, Hydroxyethylcellulose,
    Sodium Benzoate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dimethicone, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Glycerin, Aminomethyl
    Propanol, Astrocaryum Murumuru Seed Butter, Xylitylglucoside, Amodimethicone, Anhydroxylitol, Polyquaternium-11,
    Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Xylitol, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Hexyl
    Cinnamal, Trideceth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, Cetrimonium Chloride, Rice Amino Acids, Macrocystis Pyrifera Extract, C12-
    16 Pareth-9, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Polyamide-2, Methylisothiazolinone,
    Blue 1, Yellow 5, Myristoyl Pentapeptide-17

~Kristen
    Well, the good news is that you've figured out why your hair hasn't been doing so well! Reading ingredients lists can be very tedious. Can you return it? Or maybe still use it and then shampoo every few days just until it's gone?
    CG since 6/15/08!

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Well, it is what it is. You are certainly not the first person to get tripped up on hidden cones, and I'm sure you're not the last. It happens.

Just pick yourself up, and get back on the wagon. You've learned a bit about ingredients lists, won't be doing that one again, and CGing will be easier now that you know not to use that product. It's a learning process.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    Well... I have no idea what to do next. The reason I got the Bosley in the first place was to help grow some hair back. It is really thin on the top of my head, so much that you can see my scalp. I bought it three months ago, and when I got it there was a trained pro who took a microscope and assessed the condition of my scalp, and how many hairs were growing per follicle. My scalp was a little clogged, but not too bad. There were about 1-2 hairs growing per follicle.

When I went back (last week) to get more, the lady looked at it again. It is so much better it is unbelievable. when I was there, I was so concerned about it being sulfate free, I must have missed the cone part. So now I don't really know what to do. I kinda don't really want to not use it, because it is working to grow my hair back. I wonder if I should use the rest of this bottle, and then find another hair growth that does not have cones in it, or if I should just go return it.

When I do use it, my hair is amazing. I have never really noticed the difference of silicons, because I am so new to this.

I have read everything, and from what I can tell I am medium all around, except that I have lost so much hair. It seems sort of fine now. I don't know if I should be treating like fine hair, or what. It feels pretty good, but when I put on too much conditioner, it flops down and looks weighed down. The top of it, looks dry and brittle if I don't put any in. yikes!!!

So, I am thinking about getting a protien pack and seenign what happens then. What if I put conditoner on my ends and top, and not through out? Just gel through out. It seems like the top is THIRSTY and the middle is perfectly fine. Once in a while, the ends get a little frizzy, but not unmanageable.

Also, So far I have been yet to go any more then five days with out shampooing because it gets so greasy looking. It looks stringy, dry and gross if I try to co wash it. This morning, I just ran some water in it and tried to style, and it was so frizzy, I wanted to cry. I went and washed it with a bar of all natural soap, and now it is great! Is that the cones that is doing that? Like a cone dependency?!?!

Sorry this is so long and rambly, I feel like I am documenting my journey as I go. That way, I can look back and tell people what I did, and what happened. ;) Thanks again for all of your help, I really appreciate it.
    ~Kristen
    one more thing, I forgot to mention. I cut bangs because I was straightening my hair everyday and wanted some cute whispy side bangs. Now, they seem to be perma straight. will they ever go back to normal? I just keep pinning them back. I don't know what else to do with them, and they are horrendously dry.
    ~Kristen
    If you want to keep using it, you might be able to get away with low-pooing instead of a sulfate. Or just add a weekly sulfate wash.

I know some people have had success with a vitamin called Biotin for hair growth. I don't know much about it since I've never used it, but I imagine you could find some good info through google or a search on here.
    CG since 6/15/08!

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Check out the forum for thinning hair for additional tips.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • jessielee1jessielee1 Posts: 42Registered Users
    one more thing, I forgot to mention. I cut bangs because I was straightening my hair everyday and wanted some cute whispy side bangs. Now, they seem to be perma straight. will they ever go back to normal? I just keep pinning them back. I don't know what else to do with them, and they are horrendously dry.

I used to straighten my bangs everyday, and I found the same thing once I tried to stop. I just did exactly what you're doing - pinned them back and gave them a whole lot of TLC. It was frustrating waiting for the results, but a couple of months later and you'd never have known they were damaged in the first place.
    3a on an eternal search for the perfectly imperfect curl!

Coarse hair/Low porosity

CG Journey began 8 Feb 2010.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm older than you, but have some similar issues. When I was younger, my hair was really dense, though always fine. Between the thyroid issues and another medication I take--lots of hair density loss. I take the hair, skin and nail vitamins and do a low carb diet with tons of protein. More happens from the inside then the outside.

My hair also prefers the more natural, richer products. My scalp must like them, too. My hair has always grown quickly, now it grows even more. It's also the curliest it's ever been. I think that you'll find your hair improves as you treat it well--IMHO.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I really need to get some vitamins. I know my body must be lacking them big time, though I have no idea why. I have a low carb diet as well. I have always been very healthy (diet and exercise). My problem is that I do not like meat at all. I eat it, because I feel I have to. Other sources of protein just don't seem to cut it anymore.

I just wish I knew what was going on with my body and now hair. I feel lost and confused, the doctors could care less about my hair issues. I KNOW there is something else going on, I have no idea what. I would love to get a mineral panel done. I think that would shed some light on this!!

I have heard people mention that their hair got worse at first after going off sulfate. I wonder if this is the case here. It just seems like my hair HATES me ;)
    kathymack wrote: »
    I'm older than you, but have some similar issues. When I was younger, my hair was really dense, though always fine. Between the thyroid issues and another medication I take--lots of hair density loss. I take the hair, skin and nail vitamins and do a low carb diet with tons of protein. More happens from the inside then the outside.

My hair also prefers the more natural, richer products. My scalp must like them, too. My hair has always grown quickly, now it grows even more. It's also the curliest it's ever been. I think that you'll find your hair improves as you treat it well--IMHO.
    ~Kristen
    Yeah, I was thinking about doing this. It is a big bottle, but I figure if I use it once a week, that should be okay. It is still getting what it needs from it.

I have heard about biotin. This stuff has it in it, but I should get a pill. That would be good.
    If you want to keep using it, you might be able to get away with low-pooing instead of a sulfate. Or just add a weekly sulfate wash.

I know some people have had success with a vitamin called Biotin for hair growth. I don't know much about it since I've never used it, but I imagine you could find some good info through google or a search on here.
    ~Kristen

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file