The Best & Affordable?

rascalluver11rascalluver11 Registered Users Posts: 156
I am trying to save money on these products:

Clarifying Shampoo
Leave-In Conditioner
Styling Gel/Cream

Can anyone recomend some of these? They need to be afforable and CG. My goal is soft, defined and definitely moisturized curls that will last all day. Please take into count that my house has hard water and the Florida weather here is HOT and humid.

I have 3b hair w/ lots of volume. Medium porosity and texture. My hair has dried out due to the weather so i need some help!

Suggestions please! haha thanks! :thumbleft:
:toothy4:Haley<3:toothy4:

3a/b hair, fine texture, medium porosity and volume (ii)!
Shampoo:Suave Naturals Coconut, YTCarrots, Giovanni 50:50
Cowash: Suave Naturals Coconut Condish, Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing condish
Rinse Out: Suave Naturals Coconut Condish, Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing condish, YTCarrots Pampering mud Condish
Stylers: GF Curl Spray Gel, LA Looks Curl gel, Loreal frizz serum, Tresemme curl mousse, Pantene Spray gel, Biotera curl creme
~Live. Laugh. Curly.~

Comments

• NaturalistaNaturalista Registered Users Posts: 5,491 Curl Neophyte

Clarifying Shampoo
    Leave-In Conditioner
    Styling Gel/Cream

Can anyone recomend some of these? They need to be afforable and CG. My goal is soft, defined and definitely moisturized curls that will last all day. Please take into count that my house has hard water and the Florida weather here is HOT and humid.

I have 3b hair w/ lots of volume. Medium porosity and texture. My hair has dried out due to the weather so i need some help!

Clarifying Poo: Avalon Organics Lemon Clarifying Shampoo ($9.45) or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo-p-844.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo]Kinky Curly Come Clean[/buylink]($12) or Giovanni 50:50 (8.49)
    LI conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisturizing Conditioner (5.99) or Giovanni Direct LI (8.49)
    Styling Gel/Cream: Ecostyler Krystal (2.99) or
    LA Looks Sport Gel (3.49) or
    Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel(3.99)
    or KissMyFace Upper Management
    Gel (8.95 @ natural food/health
    store)

All on the ground and more than reasonable. HTH!!
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • rascalluver11rascalluver11 Registered Users Posts: 156
    Thank youuuu soooo much! I will definitely check these products out!
    :toothy4:Haley<3:toothy4:

3a/b hair, fine texture, medium porosity and volume (ii)!
    Shampoo:Suave Naturals Coconut, YTCarrots, Giovanni 50:50
    Cowash: Suave Naturals Coconut Condish, Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing condish
    Rinse Out: Suave Naturals Coconut Condish, Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing condish, YTCarrots Pampering mud Condish
    Stylers: GF Curl Spray Gel, LA Looks Curl gel, Loreal frizz serum, Tresemme curl mousse, Pantene Spray gel, Biotera curl creme
    ~Live. Laugh. Curly.~
    Thank youuuu soooo much! I will definitely check these products out!

YW!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • QVCDivaQVCDiva Registered Users Posts: 1,329
    Clarifying Poo:Trader Joe's Nourish Spa ($2.99), Kinky Curly Come Clean (already mentioned), and Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo ($6.00)

Leave-in: Yes to Cucumbers ($8.99 but can usually be found on sale), Kinky Curly Knot Today ($11.99), Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner($2.99)

Styling Gel / Cream:Ecostyler Krystal or Olive Oil (Reg price at Sally's $4.79 for 32 oz)

Except for the Elucence, I can get all of these on the ground.
    Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
    BC: 01/30/09
    Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
    http://public.fotki.com/QVCDiva/
  • stefflynhstefflynh Registered Users Posts: 410
    I just bought LALCurlG today. Love it so far & I haven't even crunched it out. I have super fine hair so I always thought gels wouldn't work for me, so I applied mousses. For the price thought I'd give it a try.

No frizz & it turned me into a 3 (I thought I was a 2b 2c). Major ringlets. I would like more clumping, but that's my fault I have it in my head I need to get rid of so much water before applying my products.

I didn't use a LI, which I think I need, but haven't found one that I can try without dropping $$$.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]properties-3 a\b, very fine, medium density, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    low poo- GTT, 50\50 or whatever I have at hand
    RO- CJBCS, TNVC, Suave Coco
    Stylers-FSG & BRHG
    PT (twice a week)-CJRM, Ion Reconstructor, SSPT
  • christeeneechristeenee Registered Users Posts: 90
    I think with your hair texture you need to avoid protein. just an fyi
    3b/3c Hair
    High Elasticity
    Medium Texture
    Porosity- ?Unsure

• dannysgirl777dannysgirl777 Registered Users Posts: 70
    The upper management gel is amazing. I too have 3b hair with medium por/tex It gives a little crunch at first, but when it is dry, crunch it again and you will have soft lovely curls. It has worked wonders for me ;) IDK about leave in. I just got Giovanni 50/50 so far so good. It's not a leave in, I just used it that way. Giovannis leave in works pretty well too and it smells great!

good luck, I am working on the same thing. Stupid heat ;)

Clarifying Shampoo
    Leave-In Conditioner
    Styling Gel/Cream

Clarifying Poo: Avalon Organics Lemon Clarifying Shampoo ($9.45) or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo-p-844.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo]Kinky Curly Come Clean[/buylink]($12) or Giovanni 50:50 (8.49)
    LI conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisturizing Conditioner (5.99) or Giovanni Direct LI (8.49)
    Styling Gel/Cream: Ecostyler Krystal (2.99) or
    LA Looks Sport Gel (3.49) or
    Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel(3.99)
    or KissMyFace Upper Management
    Gel (8.95 @ natural food/health
    store)

All on the ground and more than reasonable. HTH!!
    ~Kristen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<<-working my way back to this!!
    My hair when I was 17 and had no idea how to flatten it.

NO ONE.. and I mean NO ONE should avoid/eliminate protein. You may need less of it due to texture and/or sensitivity issues but your moisture/protein balance is critical to curl health. Going too far to one side of the spectrum (which I have done before.. too much protein and too much moisture) yields unhappy hair. You have to strike the right balance for you and findthe proteins that agree with your hair.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Registered Users Posts: 2,571

NO ONE.. and I mean NO ONE should avoid/eliminate protein. You may need less of it due to texture and/or sensitivity issues but your moisture/protein balance is critical to curl health. Going too far to one side of the spectrum (which I have done before.. too much protein and too much moisture) yields unhappy hair. You have to strike the right balance for you and findthe proteins that agree with your hair.

ITA with this Nat....I was just about to post the same thing!!!!
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I would have to say this is incorrect. I have asked about this..because I thought
    well crap! I can't use protein?? how do i deep treat my hair.
    But the person I asked this..the owner of live curly live free says to stray away at all costs.
    I cant use protein....but i CAN use emollients. =]
    there is the solution.

Even a hint of protein makes my hair feel like straw..
    3b/3c Hair
    High Elasticity
    Medium Texture
    Porosity- ?Unsure

I would have to say this is incorrect. I have asked about this..because I thought
    But the person I asked this..the owner of live curly live free says to stray away at all costs.
    there is the solution.

Well firstly, a deep treatment and a protein treatment are two different things. You are supposed to deep treat with moisturizing elements as you say. Secondly, I have no idea who the owner of live curly live free is, but Rymorg is a stylist as well and she agrees with me, and I've talked to dozens of natural and basic haircare stylists who would refute your owner. Now, what you do is what you do, but the information you're disseminating is fundamentally INCORRECT.

From the sounds of it, you're protein sensitive , so for your daily hair care regimen yes.... stray away from protein, but far as your treatments (which aren't done but every so often) should still be done. Even within protein sensitive ladies there are milder proteins they can use for PT's that they can tolerate. Plus you should be following these treatments with deep treatments. For example I'm coarse and slightly PS so I only PT like once every 4-6 weeks. Otherwise like you I'd have that straw feeling. My daily regimen like yours is more emollient based.

but again.. what you do is what you do. Everyone has their own regimen and should definitely relay those experiences, but we really have to take care what we say and how we say certain things. I mean, everyone should do their own research, but many use this place as a sole resource. Keep that in mind.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter

there is the solution.

Well firstly, a deep treatment and a protein treatment are two different things. You are supposed to deep treat with moisturizing elements as you say. Secondly, I have no idea who the owner of live curly live free is, but Rymorg is a stylist as well and she agrees with me, and I've talked to dozens of natural and basic haircare stylists who would refute your owner. Now, what you do is what you do, but the information you're disseminating is fundamentally INCORRECT.

From the sounds of it, you're protein sensitive , so for your daily hair care regimen yes.... stray away from protein, but far as your treatments (which aren't done but every so often) should still be done. Even within protein sensitive ladies there are milder proteins they can use for PT's that they can tolerate. Plus you should be following these treatments with deep treatments. For example I'm coarse and slightly PS so I only PT like once every 4-6 weeks. Otherwise like you I'd have that straw feeling. My daily regimen like yours is more emollient based.

but again.. what you do is what you do. Everyone has their own regimen and should definitely relay those experiences, but we really have to take care what we say and how we say certain things. I mean, everyone should do their own research, but many use this place as a sole resource. Keep that in mind.

Well I was relaying information from a woman who MANY accredit as the "curly hair guru"..which is why i added in that detail.
    Because this girl said she was medium textured, and i am, I added that piece of advice. I was informed that protein would be good for those with fine hair because they needed that extra protein, but for those who are medium texture it should be avoided. I asked if I could use it infrequently, just as you do, thinking it would not do much harm that way but she said to not- It would still cause the hair to be brittle and negate any moisturizing effects that was intended from using a protein treatment in the first place.

Now, because you do this it must work for you. So maybe she can do it and it would benefit, maybe not. I totally understand that people use this as a main source, but understand that I didn't say that comment just to say it. I told her because i was informed that FOR medium texture it should be avoided.

I guess i shouldn't have said it was incorrect because obviously, you being an exception for example, it doesn't stand true for everyone..But in all fairness and with all due respect..you said "no one..and i mean no one"..which was kind of making a firm statement rather than general..which is what i was guilty of as well.

But in my defense too.. i said "i think with your.." because i wanted to bring it to her attention that it may be something she should look into. I understand that my "fyi" at the end made it seem like a golden rule rather than me just wanting to bring awareness to her so she could research.
    3b/3c Hair
    High Elasticity
    Medium Texture
    Porosity- ?Unsure

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file