exercise and breastfeeding

itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Posts: 652Registered Users
so i took a health assessment at work today and the system told me that i'm overweight...nice...thanks so much... :x :cry:
anyway, i know things aren't as tight as they should be. i wasn't super small before i got preggers but i know i could stand to loose a few pounds...
and i'm sure exercising would be a good way to releave stress. fortunately there is a really nice gym in my building at work that only costs $25/month for me to join.
problem is, i'm scared to start because i heard that if you exercise your milk will change flavors and your baby might not want to nurse anymore...
owen is 9 months old and is doing great breastfeeding. i don't want to start something that will wean him early. is this true? or is this one of those weird myths about breastfeeding that people like to tell?

thanks.
3A Once again on the quest for BSL healthy curly hair....

Comments

• DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Here's what Kellymom has to say about it. http://kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/mom-exercise.html

Basically, they say go exercise!
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I exercised on and off throughout breastfeeding and had no issues. I think it's one of those outdated myths like if women go to college their wombs will shrivel up. If you exercise then your caloric needs go up, so you want to make sure you are eating enough to support the exercise and milk production.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    Bah, old wives' tale. I exercised throughout nursing, well, starting when she was about 8 weeks old, and my daughter was a little nursing piglet. The only thing that affected her desire to nurse was if I ate mushrooms. Then she'd nurse a bit, fuss a bit, nurse a bit, fuss a bit and then end up with horrible gas and a tummy ache. Once I eliminated mushrooms, nothing else ever slowed her down.
    ________
    Vaporizer-info
  • itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Posts: 652Registered Users
    well i just joined the gym. i've never been a workout kinda girl, but i feel like i need to do something. i've been kinda depressed, and i think it has to do with less sleep, adjusting to being a mommy AND a wife, and work being very stressful. so i'm hoping it'll help me boost my energy levels, feel better about myself, and make me a better mommy/wife overall!
    here's to trying something to better myself! i feel like i'm being selfish, but you know what? that feels really good right now! yeah for me! :D
    3A Once again on the quest for BSL healthy curly hair....
  • PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    geeky wrote:
    I exercised on and off throughout breastfeeding and had no issues. I think it's one of those outdated myths like if women go to college their wombs will shrivel up. If you exercise then your caloric needs go up, so you want to make sure you are eating enough to support the exercise and milk production.

:lol::lol:

The things people use to believe...
    3c/4a
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wow, I never heard of that. I've been exercising on and off since Chas was 8 weeks. I haven't had any problems. I do know that I am hungrier. Don't forget to drink more water along with eating more!!!

Enjoy. You deserve this time for yourself. Every mom needs an hour or more to herself every day. :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file