CurlTalk

Like your hair better before or after nc.com?

KurleeKurlee Posts: 1,354Registered Users
I actually liked my hair better before I found this place. I wasn't so picky with it and it seems I like a different kind of look than most women here. Not sure that it actually looked better, I just wasn't so hard on myself about how it looked.
It was lots of fun to learn how to take better care of my hair but I also felt my hair started to take too much room in my life.

Now I have found a good and stable routine and I don't let a bad hair day ruin my day. I have also accepted that what I like most others don't seem to care for, but that is fine.

So I am curious: did you like your hair better before or like it better after finding nc.com?

I should add that I love this place. :wink:

Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users
    Before NC.com, I straightened it everyday, and I was pretty happy with my hair. It's easy to get it straight, and I easily passed for a natural straightie. Since I've been wearing it curly, it definitely looks better after all the things I learned. Looking back, my curls looked like crap. But I know what you mean about hair being a much bigger deal now. Before, I washed, conditioned, blow-dried. That's it. No products, no plopping, no drooling over a $185 hair dryer. It actually took me less time to get ready in the morning, and my bathroom didn't look like a backup CurlMart warehouse. I really love my curls now, so I still think it's worth it. I'm glad I'm no longer the generic girl who looks like everyone else.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • juvjoyjuvjoy Posts: 670Registered Users
    On the contrary for me. My hair is so much faster & easier to do now. I spent the same $, if not more, for products. It took me at least 10-15 to blowdry w/ a round brush, then another 10-15 mins. to flat iron! Ugh! I could never get it to look right curly, yet I knew it was so much easier.

I'm so happy I found this site! My curls have never looked the way they do now :)
    Kim
  • pinksugarpinksugar Posts: 2,346Registered Users
    I voted after because I finally started accepting my curls. At first I was a little discouraged because I didn't follow CG and it seemed that is all everyone talked about. But after reading more posts I realized it was just about appreciating your curls and doing/using what works best for you. I started following the Ouidad styling guide and using only Ouidad products and now love my curls.
  • SYBSYB Posts: 305Registered Users
    I like my hair more after finding NC. I have gone through a lot of trial and error since I started wearing my hair naturally curly, but the products that have given my hair the most improvement have for the most part come from discovering them here at NC, based on other's good reviews.
    "Curls Tester"
    Products in my current regime: Nioxin Scalp Therapy Shampoo, ORS Replenishing Pak, Curls Whipped Cream, Curls Souffle, Curls Spiral Curls Cream, Curls Milkshake, Curls Quenched, BB(Bonner Brothers) Growth Lotion
  • NeedSleepNeedSleep Posts: 102Registered Users
    Kurlee wrote:
    it seems I like a different kind of look than most women here.

Curiousity is killing me...

what do you like?
    password: wavy
  • InsomnicoleInsomnicole Posts: 42Registered Users
    I picked "after". I only recently started treating my hair like curly hair, and so many of the tips and recommendations here have made a huge difference in how my hair looks.
    2c; some 3a
    Loving CO Bigelow Not Your Ordinary Condish, AG:recoil, and GF Curl-Shaping Spray Gel
  • kimmyckimmyc Posts: 551Registered Users
    I voted for after. My hair was always wavy and styled the same but it was always combed through and stringier looking before I found this site. Now it's healthier and I can actually get curls. I like it much better now! In fact shortly after finding this site I was asked by many people at work if I got a perm. The curlier the better to me and of course healthy is good too! :)
    2b/3a, primarily use Jessicurl and DevaCurl products, Curls Hair Tea conditioner and various gels. I'm modified CG-ish since 5/04.
  • pro211pro211 Posts: 110Registered Users
    Definitely after. My hair looks so much better its unbelieveable . Before my hair was thin and dry . I found a deva trained stylist , products I love and my hair is noticeably thicker and curlier . I'm thrilled .
  • KurleeKurlee Posts: 1,354Registered Users
    NeedSleep wrote:
    Kurlee wrote:

what do you like?

I am not very fond of long hair (there are very few that look good in it but when they do they look really good.). Seems many women are into that. I also don't like it too perfect looking. I seem to like a more styled cut, not just long hair. I don't mind halo frizz at all. It can even look really cute to me.

I think long hair can make the face "disapear" kinda. I dunno. In general people here seem to give compliments to women that look a certain way. I feel there are many curlies here that have way better looking hair that never hears any compliments at all. Too cookie cutter to me. No offense to anyone. I just seem to not follow the norm when it comes to what I think looks good.

• mitabirdmitabird Posts: 226Registered Users
    I picked after. My curls are way more defined since I found this site and I take better care of it.
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls
  • Ab-starAb-star Posts: 1,128Registered Users
    I like my hair SO much better since finding this site! For years I blew my curls out...took forever and totally fried my hair. I did start going curly before I found this site but (picture proof in my fotki, haha) didn't really know what to do with my curls.

Also when my hair was blown out I never had any fun with it and it always looked the same. Now that I know how to care for my hair I have so many good hair days (at least to my liking) and it looks different all the time!
    MY HAIR ALBUM
    pw - jack

Going natural for the summer...just a dab of ArcAngell!
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    I'm the renegade who voted "no difference."

My products have changed a lot since I arrived at nc and also how I treat my hair...but I don't think it looks much different, and definitely not better. I've never straightened and I had come to terms with my bushy frizz a long time ago so no change there There was a brief moment when I thought that the CG routine would yield beautifully defined ringlets for me. It seems to me that most folks here really like the defined spirals and glossy curl look. Unachievable for me.

I do feel like I know more about my hair now. I love being a PJ, just wish I had the means the support the habit!
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • Botticelli VenusBotticelli Venus Posts: 109Registered Users
    After, but I do get bored with wearing it one way all the time. I still like to straighten now and then. I also don't like air drying etc. I do feel like I obsess more and envy others with curlier hair more, etc. I don't know! It created a lot of inner conflict I didn't have before, though it did help me learn to style it curly. Still, results are unpredictable. :( :)
    Julie Benz: "I really loved on Angel when we would do the flashbacks and I'd have the big, wild, messy long hair that was thick and full and that's how God meant for me to look."
    I never straightened my hair before either and I liked my hair a lot before this place. I even got way more compliments on my hair before.
    It was much drier back then and it is very healthy now, so I like the way it is healthier. But I actually think with all the work with CG and stuff...well, my hair just seemed to be frizzier.

I have started combing my hair again. It is a bit straighter, but less frizzy. I like it this way better. My husband does too. It looks shinier too.

I think the main thing for me is that it felt prettier before. It was just hair. It probably looks better now though.

Yep..
    :)

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    Kurlee wrote:
    NeedSleep wrote:
    Kurlee wrote:

what do you like?

I am not very fond of long hair (there are very few that look good in it but when they do they look really good.). Seems many women are into that. I also don't like it too perfect looking. I seem to like a more styled cut, not just long hair. I don't mind halo frizz at all. It can even look really cute to me.

I think long hair can make the face "disapear" kinda. I dunno. In general people here seem to give compliments to women that look a certain way. I feel there are many curlies here that have way better looking hair that never hears any compliments at all. Too cookie cutter to me. No offense to anyone. I just seem to not follow the norm when it comes to what I think looks good.

I have long hair that can kinda make my face disappear, and I'm not offended. We all have different tastes, that's all.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • DolphinCurlsDolphinCurls Posts: 370Registered Users
    Oh definitely after! :D I finally found a place (here!) where I could get advice from people with hair types similar to mine and not from straighties who think they know curly hair but don't. I've learned some great tips. My hair has even gotten a bit curlier. :D When I first joined, I always referred to myself as a "strong wavy" meaning I had very wavy hair, not just beach wave wavy hair. Now I get ringlets. :D
    3A/2C combination of ringlets and waves :nike:
    Kurlee wrote:
    NeedSleep wrote:
    Kurlee wrote:

what do you like?

I have long hair that can kinda make my face disappear, and I'm not offended. We all have different tastes, that's all.

Yes, I don't wanna offend anyone. And I have never seen anyone with ugly hair here at all. We just have different preferences. And I think there are a bunch a curlies that should be told they have pretty hair and doesn't. They just don't follow the norm for what people seem to think is nice.
    I like your hair by the way. :wink: Love the red. Lots of personality with a hair like that. :)

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    Yeah, I think there are many pretty haired heads that aren't as complimented. I think that some are just less frequent posters or just aren't big pic whores. :lol: For example, I love Frau's hair, but's it's not one of the ladies who get the more frequent hair compliments. I know here hair more from the non-hair board though, so maybe fewer folks who stay on the hair boards know of her.

I love the red. :D I wish I didn't have to pay for it, but I love it. :lol:
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • rushirb55rushirb55 Posts: 146Registered Users
    Kurlee wrote:

I totally agree with this statement Kurlee. I have felt the same as you for a long time and that a lot of people on here like a certain style where I like more of a styled cut also. In fact, I am getting ready to get one in a couple of weeks. I don't mean to offend anyone either but I agree that I don't seem to follow the norm on what I think looks good.

I don't think my hair has changed much since coming here but I do love reading the posts and trying different products, although it seems like I do spend just as much time on my hair as I did when I use to straighten it and I was hoping to spend less time. I used to spend money on tons of products that didn't work only to give them away, and I used to wonder if I was the only person who did this thinking I had a serious problem with it. Now I know I am not the only one who has bought tons of products which makes me feel better. :lol:
    2C-3A??? Currently using Curly Q Milkshake, 3-minute Aussie Miracle, using non-sulphate shampoos, MopTop Pomade, Boots curl creme, always looking for that next miracle product for my hair! My PJ is never satisfied.
  • jennyfurrensjennyfurrens Posts: 708Registered Users
    i voted before. i think i had more frizz but that's all. i actually used to get a lot more ringlets pre-CG and my hair was consistent. i never had a bad hair day. i would always get great first day hair and it would last till third day hair. it would even look good on fourth but i'd wash it because, well, then it would start to feel dirty! but since finding NC i've tried so many products, spent so much money, and become so CONSCIOUS of my hair that i feel i'm never happy with it. i even tried going back to my old faithful routine from pre-CG and it no longer works. my hair was never in bad shape before NC - i had never straightened, never used a hair dryer, so my hair was very healthy.

whilst i really love the website, and have found some amazing products, i do wish my hair care was a bit more simple. i do have to switch up my routine a lot, and since becoming protein sensitive it makes it a whole lot harder! i'm finally getting to grips with it again but i do miss having a good hair day EVERY day and not having to worry 'will my hair look good today' or 'will i get second day hair if i sleep on it tonight?'

all that said - i'm glad i found the site. i've met some wonderful people, had great fun experimenting and the stuff i've learnt is fascinating! i even wow'd my hairdresser last time i went. OH and i found some people who appreciate curly hair just as much as i do :wink:

although i'm sure my hair DOES look better since finding NC.com, i think it's just my perception of my hair has become more critical so to me it doesnt look as good.

cleanse: OS shampoo. PureNuffStuff cleanser.
    condition: Aussie 3MM. Jessicurl Aloeba.
    style: B2Basics GreenTeaGel. T&G Curl Balm. JCarter Nourish&Shine.

pw: curlywurly
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,389Registered Users
    i voted before. i think i had more frizz but that's all. i actually used to get a lot more ringlets pre-CG and my hair was consistent. i never had a bad hair day. i would always get great first day hair and it would last till third day hair. it would even look good on fourth but i'd wash it because, well, then it would start to feel dirty! but since finding NC i've tried so many products, spent so much money, and become so CONSCIOUS of my hair that i feel i'm never happy with it. i even tried going back to my old faithful routine from pre-CG and it no longer works. my hair was never in bad shape before NC - i had never straightened, never used a hair dryer, so my hair was very healthy.

whilst i really love the website, and have found some amazing products, i do wish my hair care was a bit more simple. i do have to switch up my routine a lot, and since becoming protein sensitive it makes it a whole lot harder! i'm finally getting to grips with it again but i do miss having a good hair day EVERY day and not having to worry 'will my hair look good today' or 'will i get second day hair if i sleep on it tonight?'

all that said - i'm glad i found the site. i've met some wonderful people, had great fun experimenting and the stuff i've learnt is fascinating! i even wow'd my hairdresser last time i went. OH and i found some people who appreciate curly hair just as much as i do :wink:

although i'm sure my hair DOES look better since finding NC.com, i think it's just my perception of my hair has become more critical so to me it doesnt look as good.

:( Do you think that maybe your hair just looks different, and not worse? You should post new pics so a whole website of people can tell you your curls look great :wink:
  • jennyfurrensjennyfurrens Posts: 708Registered Users
    awh thanks for the concern! i wasnt really feeling sad, and i dont think my hair looks worse. i just think the amount of time and effort i put in hasnt yielded curls that are a whole lot better than they were before. and i have had more bad hair days from trying out new products and techniques, but obviously i dont repeat the mistakes i make so i dont have lots of bad hair days.

i am happy with my hair :) and i do think it has improved since finding NC, it is healthier, it has less frizz, it shines more, and i'm more aware of what it wants and needs. i just think the amount of time i dedicate to thinking about it (and money i spend on it) could be lessened slightly.

but dont worry about me :) sorry if my last post came across as pessimistic! i love this site, i love the people here, and i love my curls! i just wish there was that magic button to press where i could get great culrs 100% of the time!

cleanse: OS shampoo. PureNuffStuff cleanser.
    condition: Aussie 3MM. Jessicurl Aloeba.
    style: B2Basics GreenTeaGel. T&G Curl Balm. JCarter Nourish&Shine.

pw: curlywurly
  • rushirb55rushirb55 Posts: 146Registered Users
    Jenny, I don't think you could have said it any better. I feel exactly the same.
    2C-3A??? Currently using Curly Q Milkshake, 3-minute Aussie Miracle, using non-sulphate shampoos, MopTop Pomade, Boots curl creme, always looking for that next miracle product for my hair! My PJ is never satisfied.
  • medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    I liked my hair better before NC. I was blissfully unaware of cones. I rarely used conditioner (ack!) I could get up to 3 day hair and I took bad hair days in stride because they didn't happen often.

Now my hair is healthier now but man you should see all the products I have in my bathroom. Conditioners for each time of year, for humid and non humid days, gels for the same thing. I swear you'd think 10 women lived here!

My hair most of the time looks better now though. Unless I try a new product that my hair hates :lol:
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMedusahair%2F" class="Popup

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • InsomnicoleInsomnicole Posts: 42Registered Users
    medusahair wrote:
    Now my hair is healthier now but man you should see all the products I have in my bathroom. Conditioners for each time of year, for humid and non humid days, gels for the same thing. I swear you'd think 10 women lived here!

OK, that cracked me up! So true. I may be happier with my hair now, but I definitely think my budget was happier before I discovered this place.
    2c; some 3a
    Loving CO Bigelow Not Your Ordinary Condish, AG:recoil, and GF Curl-Shaping Spray Gel
  • JaxieJaxie Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    I put after even though I liked my hair when I was 20 better, it was down past BSL and went into great ringlets but I was not aware how great it looked, I only know now b/c of pix, but then I cut and bleached my hair and totally killed it b/c i straightened every day almost, so once I found the CG book and then this site my hair is finally returning to the ringlets as it grows! ~~jax
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    After, definitely! I had been CG for a while before coming to NC.com, so my hair was already in good shape. But I've learned a number of tricks and also learned about some products that have given me many near-perfect hair days. If I had to pick one thing above all else that I'm sooo happy to have discovered, it would be plopping- it's made my roots sooo much easier to deal with. Yes, I do obsess about my hair a bit more, but overall I'm even more confident about it and love it even more than when I first came here. :P
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • LadyCurlyLocksLadyCurlyLocks Posts: 341Registered Users
    Certainly after!!! I didn't know there was a specific way to take care of curly hair, I just thought everyone suffered using products that said they'd work but really didn't. Even if you're not CG, most here would agree that you have to style curly hair differently than straight, and that there's certain "tricks" everyone has to make sure their curls look good, if not great. I discovered CG (which works wonders for my curls!) on nc.com, as well as a great support group and instant acceptance since we all have curly hair. I also like just perusing the boards and learning a thing or two about a new tip or technique that I'd consider trying. Not to mention the many laughs I get on these boards! I'm so glad I've found this site!
    3B Corkscrew... I'm back on the boards now! Just got The Big Chop on Monday, pics coming soon.
  • KeeweeKeewee Posts: 1,376Registered Users
    Definitately after!!! I have been Cg or I would say modified (is low poo and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-p-103.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-hair-cleansing-cream]jessicurl Hcc[/buylink] (MODIFED). I have never loved my hair more, and of course I became an EVEN bigger hair product junkie, but I always was I would buy anything to get my hair straight, from silicone products, to brushes to blow dryers Etc.. Now I buy condtioners, gels cremes and diffusers. I also love everyone on this site, they have become my friends...... This is also the longest my hair has eve been and I love it....
    Thanks naturallycurly.com
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,238Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    After.
    And it's not so much that my hair has changed, it's me that's changed!
    I learned there's lots of people out there just like me. I learned what to do and not to do to keep my hair healthy and happy. I learned I can use cheap easy to find products.
    Most of all, I learned to stop worrying about it! If it a windy humid day and my hair frizzes up, so what. If it's limp the next day, big deal. Maybe the next day it will be a great hair day!
    I would give almost anything to have had this website available back when I was young (not possible since the internet was even around yet!).
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html