First time coloring, I want to go black?

nezumikiriqnezumikiriq Registered Users Posts: 149
Well first of all this is kind of hypothetical because my parents see black hair as goth, and might now let me do it. I currently have medium-dark brown hair, but the underside that hasn't had sun exposure is a pretty dark brown that almost looks black...

But I love the look of jet black hair, so if I can get my parents to let me, I need to know these things--

1. What hair product do you suggest, what are some ingredients to avoid, etc? I don't want to permanently damage my hair.

2. I only want to dye it once. I know my roots will grow it, but hopefully since I'll keep my hair healthier I can help protect them from lightening, and since it's already dark, will it really look that awful if some hair on top is lighter than the rest? Will I HAVE to do root touchups all the time?

3. If I also want highlights, (I don't want to bleach so I probably won't get them vibrant) I'll probably put those on first since they might show up slightly on brown, nothing on black, then how do I protect those parts of hair when I'm dying the rest black?

4. How do you do your own highlights? What things can I do that look bad?

Thanks! BTW, I can't see a stylist to do it. No matter what.
I'm 15 now but I don't get on often so I may be 67 by the time you read this.
My name is Sarah.
I come on here when I want hair advice because if you type in "curly hair" anywhere, all you get is advice on how to curl it. I used to get on here a lot when I was like, 12 or 13 (and first figuring out how to stop straightening my hair without being bullied), so if you happen to see some older posts of mine, shh. No judging.

Comments

• CurlyToastCurlyToast Registered Users Posts: 579
    Ok, lessee . . .

1. Since you don't want to lighten, you can do a semi-permanent (which will gradually wash out -- thus no roots to deal with), or a demi-perm, which will fade a little, but which will still require root touch-ups, should you wish to maintain even color. Semi-perm = an overlay of color, if you will; demi-perm = deposit color with a no-lift (low volume) developer which opens the cuticle of your hair to deposit color, but which does not bleach or lift your current, natural color. These two are your least-damaging options. No point in going through ingredients, because there are just too many in the chemical stews that are color.

2. This is totally up to you and your personal aesthetic. As mentioned, if you go the semi-perm route, you won't have to deal with it at all. I will say that, if you're going for a "natural" look, hair is naturally lighter toward the ends, so having lighter roots tends to look "odd" (not that that's a bad thing).

3. If you highlight, you *are* bleaching. Period. There is no way to highlight your hair without lifting color. If you highlight prior to coloring with black dye, you will wind up with black hair. There are 2 ways to prevent this: a) you can highlight before coloring and then attempt (mostly futile-ly) to segregate the highlights while you apply the overall black. Honestly, if you've never colored before you're going to be even more messy than someone practiced, and nobody practiced would attempt this technique without having forks at the ready to shove into their eyes on account of frustration. I would not recommend an attempt at foiling for first time color; and b) you can do your all-over black color and *then* go back with the bleach, but know that going this route will not lift you to a particularly high (pale) level without a lot of bleach and, therefore, increased potential for damage. If you want a reddish-toned highlight, this would probably be ok, though you'd have to be accepting of a somewhat brassy highlight.

4. I've used caps and a basic painting method to do my own highlight. In general, I prefer painting because I can get down to my scalp, whereas caps tend to leave about 1/8-1/4" root from the get-go. But again, this is entirely dependant on your own personal aesthetic. I *personally* think the only highlights that look "bad" are the ones that look accidental or hastily done, i.e. highlighting after coloring darker and winding up with weird non-color orangey-gold highlights. So first, I suppose I'd have to know what you mean by "bad." :)

I started coloring my hair when I was about 13 -- I had free reign to do whatever I wanted with the understanding that my mum was not going to foot the bill for corrective color if I did something stupid. :D The key is to basically be ok with surprises -- because eventually, you will get some.

Another opinion, from someone who's had varying tones of black for the past 6-ish years (with the occasional brief foray into red): cool-toned, or blue, blacks have a particular look and require a particularly cool skintone and, more importantly, attitude, to carry off. If that's what you want, then by all means rock it regardless. I have personally found that I always enjoyed blue-blacks while I had them (and I have a decent skintone for it), but invariably when I look at pictures I sort of chuckle and wonder who dumped ink on my head. Because unless you're dressed for it, and have the attitude (and potentially the makeup) for it perpetually, it just looks a little out of place in a picture of you sitting on the beach, tan and sans makeup.

Softer blacks, on the other hand, look no less inky in photos or, most of the time, in person, but as lack the edge of blue-blacks I have found them to be adaptable to all my many personal scenaria.
  • ReekyReeky Registered Users Posts: 1,323
    i must add that you have to grow out black dye because it stains the strands. Even semi & demi permanent stains! & if you want highlights it will be very hard to lift the hair once it is dyed black! So think twice if you dont want it permanent..

The good thing about going black is you can use a semi permanent and it will leave you with a dark vibrant color w/o having to use permanent dyes that damage. So your hair will still be healthy.. just stained.
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • CurlyToastCurlyToast Registered Users Posts: 579
    You can lift black color with a bleach process -- black hair color works the same as any other hair color in its class. It's just that the darker you go, the more difficult to lift to a significantly lighter shade.

But you can absolutely lift black to a medium brown (with some significant red tones).
  • nezumikiriqnezumikiriq Registered Users Posts: 149
    Thanks everybody! I think I'm gonna try using L'oreal, because it says it washes out after so many washes so if it's not permanent my mom might let me... is that bad for your hair?

I won't mention the staining XD I use honey a lot though, which supposedly lightens your hair :l so I wouldn't mind something to help it stay darker.
    I'm 15 now but I don't get on often so I may be 67 by the time you read this.
    My name is Sarah.
    I come on here when I want hair advice because if you type in "curly hair" anywhere, all you get is advice on how to curl it. I used to get on here a lot when I was like, 12 or 13 (and first figuring out how to stop straightening my hair without being bullied), so if you happen to see some older posts of mine, shh. No judging.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file