Pregnancy and Changes in Your Hair

HairproductjunkieHairproductjunkie Posts: 363Registered Users
I swear, these hormones are doing a number on my hair. I am just wondering...will my hair go back to its pre-pregnancy glory after I give birth? Or will it look like this forever? I miss my tighter curls! :(
GuardianB wrote:
Southern gals rock :!:
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    When did it start changing? So far, mine seems to be the same. A bit less shedding maybe.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think mine just kind of went limp...very little curl but very little shedding (like, zero).

It's the post-pregnancy hair shenanigans that get you. You THINK you're prepared for the fall out but you have no idea. It's awful. REALLY awful. I now have weird little tufts growing back in along my hairline - I have to work pretty hard to blend them in and not look like a freak.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mine was fine through pregnancy. Stayed the same. Looked great. When I weaned it went to hell. It looks like I have horns because of these two little broken off pieces that stick straight up at my hairline.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • loosecurlsloosecurls Posts: 637Registered Users
    Mine was thicker during my pregnancy & stayed that way up until 4-6 mos PP.
    Slinky's rule for NC.com:

I suppose I can't judge you because you married a serviceman and it is wartime. Boo hoo. You must be loney sitting at home with nothing else to do but pick on people. Why don't you go masterbate again?
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    Mine got thicker, then fell out a lot post partum. Now it's pretty much back to normal.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    My hair looked limp and oily in the first Trimester and then looked FABULOUS though the rest of my pregnancy and post-partum. Very shiny and thick and curly. In fact there are some pictures of me after the birth where I am a royal mess but damn my hair looked good!

I thought it was a permanent thing, since my hair didn't start falling out immediately post partum, but sure enough at about 3 months I lost a ton of hair and it went back to normal.

• SweetPicklesSweetPickles Posts: 850Registered Users
    CGNYC wrote:
    I think mine just kind of went limp...very little curl but very little shedding (like, zero).

It's the post-pregnancy hair shenanigans that get you. You THINK you're prepared for the fall out but you have no idea. It's awful. REALLY awful. I now have weird little tufts growing back in along my hairline - I have to work pretty hard to blend them in and not look like a freak.
    Yeah. What she said (I'm just going to quote you and say "ditto" from now on, k? :wink: ) Mine is still much less curly.

I also NEVER had that thick, full, glorious hair everyone always talks about. My complexion, now that's a different story. I miss that flawless rosy skin.
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    mine is thicker kinkier dryer and coarser.
  • HairproductjunkieHairproductjunkie Posts: 363Registered Users
    Amneris wrote:
    When did it start changing? So far, mine seems to be the same. A bit less shedding maybe.

It's been getting less and less curly since about 8 weeks or so, but in the last month, it's gotten REALLY bad.

I am having a lot less shedding, so I bet I'll have a lot of fallout after the little one is born. :shock:
    GuardianB wrote:
    Southern gals rock :!:
  • DayzieDayzie Posts: 233Registered Users
    I lost a ton of curl with my other two pregnancies, and it never came back :( :x . I don't know this time around as I am currently keeping it straight.
    "You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing."

"There is so much good in the worst of us and so much bad in the best of us, it hardly behooves any of us to talk about the rest of us."
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    No change that I could tell :dunno:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• DelmaDelma Posts: 1,121Registered Users
    I voted for yes and it was never the same again, my hair was far curlier before I had my son.

But it's strange cause it was still really curly when I was pregnant but once he was born the curl just seemed to get looser .

• Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Very thick, but dry, and the curls were never the same again.

Totally agree w/ EVERYTHING CGNYC said about the fall out.

Right now it's not holding the curl well AT ALL. It looks great for about 20 minutes but then it falls. I'd keep it straight if it wasn't for the fact I was cutting it myself for the past few months and it's not looking good enough to be straight!

I vowed that when I was pregnant again I was jus going to keep it pulled back. Then I had to go and chop it all off a month before I got pregnant. :roll:
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • PhDCowPhDCow Posts: 1,621Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm finally growing my curls back out after having cut them off shortly after Colin was born (bad idea). Now that they're coming in, they're much looser to the point that I *GASP* got a perm.

You may now throw things at me.
    God doesn't give special kids to special parents. He takes ordinary, imperfect people, and gifts them with his greatest treasures. And therein, he creates special parents.

• Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    PhDCow wrote:
    I'm finally growing my curls back out after having cut them off shortly after Colin was born (bad idea). Now that they're coming in, they're much looser to the point that I *GASP* got a perm.

You may now throw things at me.

So many of us do that hormonal cut either right before, or right after the baby is born. It's SUCH a bad idea.

I considered a perm a while back too. My curls are so loose now that I think I'm just going to grow out my layers and start wearing it straight.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Mine was dry and limp in the beginning. I kept it up the whole time.
    After KD was born, and I wore it out for the first time, I realized that my hair grew like a weed (way past my bra strap).

Now it is breaking along the hairline. It's annoying as all get out. I am hoping that the breakage will stop soon.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    So far, mine has been the same. Perhaps a bit curlier? I got a cut about 3 weeks ago and maybe it is just recovering.
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    Mine hasn't really changed, nor have a lost any hair - yet!

What I have noticed though, is that I need to wash it more frequently. Also, it is growing like crazy. It is now as long as I had it in high school - mid-back.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    geeky wrote:
    Mine got thicker, then fell out a lot post partum. Now it's pretty much back to normal.

Ditto. It didn't affect my curl any.
    ________
    E-CIGARETTE STORE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file