CurlTalk

When do you buy or borrow books?

curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users
I have a load of books I bought from Amazon that I haven't read yet, yesterday in the supermarket I got 2 more (buy one get one free!). I'm halfway through a book right now.

Do you buy or borrow books when you've finished a book?

When you've nearly finished the current one?

Whenever you feel like it?
Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.

Comments

  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    I buy whenever I feel like iI ot but try to remind myself that I can only read one at a time. And I only buy what I can't borrow from the library, or else I would be overflowing with books. When I finish reading a paperback I list it for sale on half.com. Audiobooks I always download from the library or reserve CD's. Saved lots of money.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

    Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    I have to be careful at bookstores, because I tend to go bonkers. But, even at the library, I'll check out half a dozen at a time, then make my way through them randomly. That way, if one or more of them stink (like the batch I got last week), I'll have something new to try (unless they all stink, which this group did :( ).
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,654Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    About 2 years ago, I found out about www.paperbackswap.com. If I don't like a book I post it. When I finish one I post it. I haven't purchased a single book in that time, yet 30+ books have come to me through this site. Since I am on a wait list for many of them I am just happy to get them when they are available. I will get to them soon enough and send them to the next person who wants the book(s).

    Libraries don't work well for me because I feel pressured to rush and finish a book and return it.
    Location: Texas
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    Spiralli wrote: »
    About 2 years ago, I found out about www.paperbackswap.com. If I don't like a book I post it. When I finish one I post it. I haven't purchased a single book in that time, yet 30+ books have come to me through this site. Since I am on a wait list for many of them I am just happy to get them when they are available. I will get to them soon enough and send them to the next person who wants the book(s).

    Libraries don't work well for me because I feel pressured to rush and finish a book and return it.

    This reminds me of www.bookmooch.com.

    Unfortunately, I want to have my own personal library one day, so I try not to borrow books. Buy when i feel like.
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users
    for myself, I buy in bulk every few months or so. For DH I try and pick him up a few paperbacks every couple of weeks.

    Our library sucks, as I was recently reminded. They have truly outragious late fees that sometimes come out of nowhere. I know for a fact that they don't do a thorough job of checking the drop box.
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,654Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    kayb wrote: »
    Spiralli wrote: »
    About 2 years ago, I found out about [URL="http://<b>www.paperbackswap.com</b>&quot;]www.paperbackswap.com[/URL]

    This reminds me of www.bookmooch.com.

    Unfortunately, I want to have my own personal library one day, so I try not to borrow books. Buy when i feel like.
    You can keep any book that you receive when using PaperbackSwap. I have several that I received in hardcover, in mint condition, and I wanted them in my collection. Just in case you wanted to go that route for even a few books that you can part with....
    Location: Texas
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    cympreni wrote: »
    for myself, I buy in bulk every few months or so. For DH I try and pick him up a few paperbacks every couple of weeks.

    Our library sucks, as I was recently reminded. They have truly outragious late fees that sometimes come out of nowhere. I know for a fact that they don't do a thorough job of checking the drop box.

    That's terrible! :pale:

    I depend on my library.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users
    I haven't set foot in my library for ages. Last time I was there I couldn't find anything and it was dark and dusty and smelled funny.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    I like old-fashioned libraries. And mean librarians, too. It was my childhood ambition to become one, back when the card catalogue meant something (sob!).

    I'm sorry yours is such poor quality, CL.
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    I pick them up all the time, where/whenever I see something I like - if I get down to where I only have 1 or 2, I start breaking out in a cold sweat, LOL.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

    Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

    HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

    www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users
    ninja dog wrote: »
    I like old-fashioned libraries. And mean librarians, too. It was my childhood ambition to become one, back when the card catalogue meant something (sob!).

    I'm sorry yours is such poor quality, CL.

    It may have changed now, I was about 12 when I last went in there!! :lol:
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    Spiralli wrote: »
    kayb wrote: »
    Spiralli wrote: »
    About 2 years ago, I found out about [URL="http://<b>www.paperbackswap.com</b>&quot;]www.paperbackswap.com[/URL]

    This reminds me of www.bookmooch.com.

    Unfortunately, I want to have my own personal library one day, so I try not to borrow books. Buy when i feel like.
    You can keep any book that you receive when using PaperbackSwap. I have several that I received in hardcover, in mint condition, and I wanted them in my collection. Just in case you wanted to go that route for even a few books that you can part with....


    Ohhh, I like this idea :)
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users
    ninja dog wrote: »
    cympreni wrote: »
    for myself, I buy in bulk every few months or so. For DH I try and pick him up a few paperbacks every couple of weeks.

    Our library sucks, as I was recently reminded. They have truly outragious late fees that sometimes come out of nowhere. I know for a fact that they don't do a thorough job of checking the drop box.

    That's terrible! :pale:

    I depend on my library.

    I used to as a kid. I was always getting strange late fees. Which seemed off to me because i read all the time, so I never kept any books for very long. I figured I was doing something wrong.

    A few months ago I checked out 3 books. I turned them in 1 day late. I go back with my son a month later for his first library visit. I let him pick out 3 books, and find out I have a $9 late fee! They said I had 1 book was like a week late. I know for a fact that's not true, that I only made 1 trip. Well I ended up paying the stupid fee anyways since I promised my son some books.

    I guess the little receit thing that tells you when the books are due fell out, because I couldn't find it once we got home. So I assumed the books could be checked out for the same amount as adult books. I was wrong. So they ended up being a week late. A few days after that, I get a bill in the mail from the library, for 45 dollars! These were 3 preschooler paperbacks! I could probably buy him a dozen books at Half-Price for that much!

    I complained but they mumbled something about replacement costs. They wouldn't drop it even though I turned the books in already. So yeah, forget them. we're back to buying all our books.
  • jonquiljonquil Posts: 94Registered Users
    cympreni wrote: »
    A few months ago I checked out 3 books. I turned them in 1 day late. I go back with my son a month later for his first library visit. I let him pick out 3 books, and find out I have a $9 late fee! They said I had 1 book was like a week late. I know for a fact that's not true, that I only made 1 trip. Well I ended up paying the stupid fee anyways since I promised my son some books.

    I guess the little receit thing that tells you when the books are due fell out, because I couldn't find it once we got home. So I assumed the books could be checked out for the same amount as adult books. I was wrong. So they ended up being a week late. A few days after that, I get a bill in the mail from the library, for 45 dollars! These were 3 preschooler paperbacks! I could probably buy him a dozen books at Half-Price for that much!

    :O That's awful! I know they probably need to make some profit to keep going but replacement fees after a week is a bit much, unless you live in a particularly unreliable neighbourhood.

    My hometown library was great - they have an amnesty day once a year were they forgive all fees if you come in. Also a couple of times the librarian has scrapped my late fee as they knew I was a regular.

    I borrow most of my books because I couldn't afford to buy them all the time. Plus I don't have the room to keep them at the moment. And I find a lot of the time a book that looks good, generally isn't. It takes some digging to find a decent book!
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    The only books I purchase are textbooks and books I need for my dissertation. Anything I'm reading for pleasure comes from the library.

    I nearly always have a list of holds a mile long so I just read 'em as they come in. I also regularly contribute to my library's bottom line as I don't have anywhere near as much time to read as I used to but I'll be damned if I skip reading a book just because someone else has a hold on it. :lol:
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    Rock on with your bad self.

    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • djfoo4djfoo4 Posts: 32Registered Users
    Wow this is a good question. I buy when the mood strikes. But I only buy books that are used (unless its part of a series I can't get enough of (ex: Thursday Next, Sevenwater Trilogy, then I get it hot off the presses!)

    For new books I use the good ol' library.

    Audible had a promotion where if you signed up you get two free book downloads. I quickly signed up & love listening to books in the car :)
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users
    I buy most of my books online from borders, but I get email coupons almost every other day so when I get a really good coupon, I'll purchase a few off my list (that I'm constantly updating with a new book). Right now, I've got a BOGO 1/2 off coupon plus a B4G1 free that I can combine. So I'll end up getting 2 books at regular price, 2 at 1/2 price, and one free not to mention free shipping over $25 everyday.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup

    Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!
    _____________________________
    I like my men and my hair....KINKY!!!!
    _____________________________
    Wanna save $10 off your next purchase at vitacost.com? Use my referal code (click the link)!


    12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users
    Always buying books. I will often pop into a book shop and browse and come away with one or two. I like my own books.

    I dislike the library because of what can be found smeared between pages! Yuck.

    Besides if I like a book I like to own it.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users
    Everytime I go to the supermarket I browse the book aisle, but the pickings have been slim recently. There seems to be another influx of books like "A Child Called It" and ones riding the remains of the Da Vinci Code wave. Or vampire ones. I saw a Virginia Andrews one today with vampires in it. I thought she only wrote ones involving cousins doing it :dontknow:
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • RacerWife7RacerWife7 Posts: 890Registered Users
    My house was becoming overrun with books at one time because I'd buy them every time a new one in a series I liked came out. But, then I forced myself to go the "free way" and start getting them from the library even if I had to wait for them to become available. BUT... now that I have a Kindle, I tend to download them whenever I find one that I would like to read. ...I shudder to think of how much I've spent on books with the Kindle. :shock: lol
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
    My Picasa Album
    What I used in this photo:
    Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
    Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
    Styling: CJCQ
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    It all depends. I am lucky enough to have a REALLY great library system here. My library is small and doesn't have a ton of what I like to read, but they are linked to a bunch of libraries statewide so I can easily browse online and request books through inter-library loan. I usually limit myself to about 3 books at a time, one is usually a slower non-fiction and then others that I like. We have a 3 week checkout time on most books so I rarely go over (unless I forget, but they send me handy reminder emails) and the over due fees are small. Like .20 a day or something.

    I love books but buying isn't quite conducive with my grad school/unemployed/substitute teacher lifestyle as of late. Lately I've only bought at library sales (I love getting old books from these!). If there is a book I'm dying to read and can't wait for it or have an excellent coupon I'll go buy it. I use GoodReads to help me keep track of my read books, books I want, and to find new ones. I have a few friends on there so I can see what they are reading as well. I also have the iPod/iPhone app to take with me so I can check wherever I am (as long as there's wifi since mine's just on my iPod).
  • SurlycurlySurlycurly Posts: 156Registered Users
    The only time I really buy books is for my DD through book fairs at her school. We've got a great library here and my entire household visits quite frequently! Also, most of my family and friends are also big readers, so we swap out books a lot.