Any Coarse Curlies out there who want to share their products/routine? :)

currlyQ4dayscurrlyQ4days Registered Users Posts: 123
Hi, I joined the site last year, but had to get a new username...

Anyway, I have very coarse 3c/3b hair and was wondering if any other "coarsies" (is that a word? LOLLLLL) wanted to share their products/routines ?

:)

p.s Right now I'm using Deva products, especially for the conditioner, but have my eye out for other products that are good without protein.
  • 3c & 3b, Normal Porosity, Very Very Coarse and Protein Sensitive
  • Shampoo: Deva Curl No Poo, Kinky Curly Come Clean
  • Conditioner: Deva Curl One, Castor Oil,
  • Styling: Expiramenting with FSG

"Time to own this poodle!!!"

Comments

• guddiguddi Registered Users Posts: 45
    not a regular poster, but here is my routine, 3b protein sensitive hair

-[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/MOP-C-System-Hydrating-Shampoo-p-919.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=MOP-C-System-Hydrating-Shampoo]mop c hydrating shampoo[/buylink]
    -redken butter treatment ( has amodimethicone)
    -carols daughter hair butter mixed with a little [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]curl keeper[/buylink] for now (still in search for a better styling products )
  • currlyQ4dayscurrlyQ4days Registered Users Posts: 123
    Thanks guddi! It seems all us curlies are always in search of perfect product!

Someone recommended [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle-p-995.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle]curls in a bottle[/buylink] by curljunkie to put over my gel to eliminate frizz... still hasn't arrived yet! Can't wait to see if it works! HOPE SO!

• asianrunnerasianrunner Registered Users Posts: 2,251 Curl Neophyte
    I'm a coarse wavy but I'll chime in with my routine! (mod-CG)

-low poo with GTTTT, water wash or co wash with either CJ Daily Fix (I think this does have protein) or Aura Cherry Almond Bark
    -rinse out with GVP conditioning balm, GFTN or BB smoothie
    -leave in is BellaCurl leave-in elixir (this stuff is amazing! She has an etsy page with products that are protein-free and maybe glycerin-free as well
    -A favorite protein-free combo is mixing BellaCurl styling creme and BB FSG together and then plopping
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• currlyQ4dayscurrlyQ4days Registered Users Posts: 123
    Thanks Asianrunner for sharing.. All "coarsies" welcome!

I will have to try some of those products. I have never even heard of Bellacurl! Thanks!

• aubinaubin Registered Users Posts: 286 Curl Neophyte
    I just went back to cones (maybe temporarily, not sure) so my new routine is:

-low poo with zizyphus spina cristi
    -detangle/rinse out with Suave Naturals
    -leave in Aussie Moist (using Teri's method)
    -seal ends with homemade butter mix

I go through this routine every 2-3 days. I deep condition with a mix of olive oil, coconut oil and honey once per week. And I poo with Paul Mitchell Moisture -- I just started using regular poo to deal with the cone build up so I'm no sure how often I'll do it, maybe every 2 weeks or so. I also henna once per month.
    3c/4a OS curls
    Poo: Mehandi Zizyphus Spina Christi and Juniper Shampoo Bar
    Co-wash/Detangler/Leave-in: V05, Giovanni SAS, Tresemme Naturals, Suave Naturals, GVP Conditioning Balm, Aussie Moist
    DC: henna, AOHR, AOWC, Yes to Carrots, DevaOne
    Sealing: cocoa butter
    :clock:Natural since 1990, BC #3 September 2008:clock:
  • nandiknitsnandiknits Registered Users Posts: 260
    My hair is extremely coarse. It is also extremely thick, extremely dry, and extremely porous. I have not yet found a product that will make my hair feel soft. I spend a not so small fortune on hair products. I live in Canada and we just don't have knock-offs of products. Here is my routine, which I change around all the time, just hoping for a miracle combination:

Cowash: Live Clean Moisturizing Conditioner, Professional Organics Moisturizing Conditioner, Garnier Fructus Triple Nutrition (makes my scalp itchy, as does Suave)

I deep condition every time I wash my hair with: [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]Jessicurl WDT[/buylink], Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm, or AOHR. Often I mix argan oil or olive oil into the conditioner as well

Leave-In: I was using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink], but it just doesn't have the moisture I need. I usually use a good sized blob of the Biolage Conditioning Balm mixed with argan oil. Sometimes I use AOHR.

Styling Products: I have used [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] for the past year and like it, (I have to send across the country and pay $40 for 16 oz., plus shipping!) but find that HESMU gel works just as well with a slightly shorter drying time. (It takes about 7 hours for my hair to air dry). I often diffuse using the Pixie Curl Method.

Still hoping to find my HG, but after 30 years of searching, I don't know that it exists!
    CG since June/09
    3a/b extremely thick, coarse, porous
    Loving AOHR, Biolage Conditioning Balm, KCCC.:glasses8:
  • vangreyvangrey Registered Users Posts: 40
    Cleansing:

I use CJ's Daily Fix or Cream of Nature Shampoo

Conditioning:

During the week, I condition with Aussie Moist
    On the weekend, I will DC w/ Shea Moisture Deep Masque

Styling:

I saturate my hair with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink]. Next, apply about a tablespoon of coconut oil to my hair. Then, I use about 5 dime size amounts of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] throughout my hair
    http://www.fotki.com/vangrey
    Updated April 6, 2010

CG Method

Type: 3b
    Porous, normal elasticity, and coarse texture

Cowash: CJ Daily Fix
    Styling: CJ, jojoba oil, KCCC
    DT: CJ Curl Rehab, CR Algae Deep conditioner
  • aubinaubin Registered Users Posts: 286 Curl Neophyte
    aubin wrote: »
    I just went back to cones (maybe temporarily, not sure) so my new routine is:

-low poo with zizyphus spina cristi
    -detangle/rinse out with Suave Naturals
    -leave in Aussie Moist (using Teri's method)
    -seal ends with homemade butter mix

I go through this routine every 2-3 days. I deep condition with a mix of olive oil, coconut oil and honey once per week. And I poo with Paul Mitchell Moisture -- I just started using regular poo to deal with the cone build up so I'm no sure how often I'll do it, maybe every 2 weeks or so. I also henna once per month.

Apparently Suave Naturals 2-3 times per week is too much protein for me. Now I'm back to V05 for my cowash. I also recently started using GVP Conditioning Balm which I LOVE!!!
    3c/4a OS curls
    Poo: Mehandi Zizyphus Spina Christi and Juniper Shampoo Bar
    Co-wash/Detangler/Leave-in: V05, Giovanni SAS, Tresemme Naturals, Suave Naturals, GVP Conditioning Balm, Aussie Moist
    DC: henna, AOHR, AOWC, Yes to Carrots, DevaOne
    Sealing: cocoa butter
    :clock:Natural since 1990, BC #3 September 2008:clock:
  • curlylew66curlylew66 Registered Users Posts: 1,685
    When I need a break from everything I use:
    Kinky Curly Come Clean followed by Knot Today to condition, Knot today as a leave in and the Original Curly Custard to style. That is it. :thumbup:
    I love that all those products are protein, glycern, silicone and paraben free.
  • mangomelonmangomelon Registered Users Posts: 3
    Hi, I'm new to this site but not to curly hair. I'm a 3c.
    I used to be a slave to my curls using all of those expensive shampoos and condishes, leave-in condish, spritzers...
    Not anymore. I simply wash my hair with Treseme shampoo and condition with Treseme 5x Smooth.
    I found these awesome natural products from Red's Kitchen Sink called 'Soc it 2 Mii Curls' gel therapy and Herbal Hair souffle. I use a little Soc it 2 Mii gel and voila! ;)My curls are beautiful, light, not sticky, frizz-free, and last! I use a tiny bit of the Herbal Hair Souffle for added moisture and shine! This stuff is a God-send! They have videos posted on youtube.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file