About to go 'poo-less! I have questions, though

AshleyB729AshleyB729 Posts: 2Registered Users
Ok, so I have been reading a lot tonight and am definitely going to try the no'poo idea. I do have some questions though. My routine right now is using shampoo once a week, and every other day I condition. But, I dont think I cowash....i just run it through my hair. So co washing is scrubbing your scalp with your fingerpads, right? And after that, do you need to condition again? Or use a leave-in?? Also I read that you should shampoo one last time,and then cowash in the same shower. is that right? I am also worried about the itchiness/greasy factor while your hair is adjusting to the new routine...my scalp gets itchy after one day as it is, and also my roots/scalp look icky and greasy after about 2 days. How long does the period of ickiness usually last? Should I use products? If so, whats good? can you tell Im new to this haha!!!! Thanks SO much for your advice and help.

Comments

• emthefantasticalemthefantastical Posts: 963Registered Users Curl Novice
    AshleyB729 wrote: »
    Ok, so I have been reading a lot tonight and am definitely going to try the no'poo idea. I do have some questions though. My routine right now is using shampoo once a week, and every other day I condition. But, I dont think I cowash....i just run it through my hair. So co washing is scrubbing your scalp with your fingerpads, right? And after that, do you need to condition again? Or use a leave-in?? Also I read that you should shampoo one last time,and then cowash in the same shower. is that right? I am also worried about the itchiness/greasy factor while your hair is adjusting to the new routine...my scalp gets itchy after one day as it is, and also my roots/scalp look icky and greasy after about 2 days. How long does the period of ickiness usually last? Should I use products? If so, whats good? can you tell Im new to this haha!!!! Thanks SO much for your advice and help.

yes co-washing is using a conditioner and scrubbing with the pads of your fingers. most people use another conditioner or a rinse out after they cowash. it's usually a thicker or more moisturizing conditioner than the co-wash is. you can cowash as often as you feel like you need to in order to avoid itchiness or the greasy look. i know there are curlies that are able to cowash just once a week, but i am definitely not one of them. i cowash just about every other day, or every day depending on what my day entails. in the first couple months of going CG it might be better to cowash every other day in order to combat the itchiness that might come with the adjustment period. just scrub a lot. i scrub until my arms get tired because i like my scalp to feel really clean.

i have to use products, especially now in order to combat frizz. i really like the eco styler, L.A. Looks Sports Gel, and the Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee. you also might want to check out the LiveCurlyLiveFree blog and website to find out your hair properties in order to better choose products for your hair. i'm pretty sure that if you just google "LiveCurlyLiveFree" it'll come up. it's really helpful.

just remember a lot of it is trial and error. i hope some of that helped!
    2c/3a
    somewhere between fine and medium texture
    average porosity underneath, fairly high porosity in the canopy

cowash: Suave Tropical Coconut
    rinse-out: GFTN, One-C
    styling: LALSG, EcoStyler, Deva Styling Cream

• AshleyB729AshleyB729 Posts: 2Registered Users
    thanks so much! vey helpful indeed
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had really oily hair and scalp before going CG. At times I was washing my hair at least once a day. At others I was wishing that I had.

When I went CG, it seemed to me that similar to the way too harsh facial cleansers can make acne worse, perhaps I had conditioned my scalp to produce high amounts of oil. So I followed my clarifying poo, and have also followed every low-poo I've done with a co-wash. I went to low-pooing alternating with co-washing, then gradually increased the frequency of co-washing instead of low-pooing. Starting last fall or winter IIRC, I was able to replace some co-washes with water washes (going through the great scalp massage under the hot shower, without using any poo or conditioner) -- something I never thought I'd be able to do, as just rinsing my hair well so I could restyle it had never worked for me.

On extremely rare occasions, I still feel the need to do a low-poo. It's so infrequent, though, that I usually can't even remember when my last low-poo was, especially since the last of my pre-CG hair has been cut off. I'm guessing the healthier hair doesn't hold onto as much gick.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • ImStarJacksImStarJacks Posts: 26Registered Users

yes co-washing is using a conditioner and scrubbing with the pads of your fingers. most people use another conditioner or a rinse out after they cowash. it's usually a thicker or more moisturizing conditioner than the co-wash is. you can cowash as often as you feel like you need to in order to avoid itchiness or the greasy look. i know there are curlies that are able to cowash just once a week, but i am definitely not one of them. i cowash just about every other day, or every day depending on what my day entails. in the first couple months of going CG it might be better to cowash every other day in order to combat the itchiness that might come with the adjustment period. just scrub a lot. i scrub until my arms get tired because i like my scalp to feel really clean.

thanks for that post. I was so confused as to what co-washing actually was and if I was doing correctly. This cleared up alot. Luckily I have been doing it right, I think. I wash everyday with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]DevaCurl No-Poo[/buylink] - is this product considered a conditioner or a shampoo?

I shampoo once a week with either [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-LowPoo-p-54.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-lowpoo]DevaCurl Low-Poo[/buylink] or Elucence Moisturizing Benefit Shampoo followed by [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]DevaCurl No-Poo[/buylink] which I use as a conditioner.

I must admit I do have a little itch here and there but its nothing drastic where I find myself wanting to dig into my scalp. I think the itching may come from the product I use to form my curls and the gel I use to give it hold. Other than that I have less itch, flakes and dandruff now that Im CG then when I was relaxed. Ive been CG for a month now and I love it and all the maintenance that comes with it. :)
    Big Chop: 9/2013
    Hair Type: 4a
    Current Length: 1/2"
    Goals: Love my hair & Let it Grow

event.png
  • emthefantasticalemthefantastical Posts: 963Registered Users Curl Novice

thanks for that post. I was so confused as to what co-washing actually was and if I was doing correctly. This cleared up alot. Luckily I have been doing it right, I think. I wash everyday with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]DevaCurl No-Poo[/buylink] - is this product considered a conditioner or a shampoo?

I shampoo once a week with either [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-LowPoo-p-54.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-lowpoo]DevaCurl Low-Poo[/buylink] or Elucence Moisturizing Benefit Shampoo followed by [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]DevaCurl No-Poo[/buylink] which I use as a conditioner.

I must admit I do have a little itch here and there but its nothing drastic where I find myself wanting to dig into my scalp. I think the itching may come from the product I use to form my curls and the gel I use to give it hold. Other than that I have less itch, flakes and dandruff now that Im CG then when I was relaxed. Ive been CG for a month now and I love it and all the maintenance that comes with it. :)

the Deva No-Poo is considered a cleanser and is usually paired with the Deva One-Conditioner, as a rinse-out. since it doesn't get sudsy, i don't know if you would consider it a shampoo or not. i've personally never tried the No-Poo, but i know that a lot of curlies love it and find it very moisturizing while also finding it to give a great "clean scalp" feeling. i do however, love the Low-Poo and the Deva One-Conditioner. the only thing i don't like about deva products is how pricey they are, so i haven't used them in awhile.
    2c/3a
    somewhere between fine and medium texture
    average porosity underneath, fairly high porosity in the canopy

cowash: Suave Tropical Coconut
    rinse-out: GFTN, One-C
    styling: LALSG, EcoStyler, Deva Styling Cream

• ImStarJacksImStarJacks Posts: 26Registered Users
    thanks, maybe I should start a thread and ask. lol.
    Big Chop: 9/2013
    Hair Type: 4a
    Current Length: 1/2"
    Goals: Love my hair & Let it Grow

event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file