Making an omelette out of the following...

sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
It's been a loooong time since I've made an omelette. I got into a groove with them a few years back. For about two weeks now I've been intending to have one for breakfast but keep putting it off.

I had my mom save some mushrooms back. Unfortunately there's no greenery besides lettuce on hand.

Do have:
  • mushrooms
  • tomatoes
  • red onions, but I'm not a big fan unless in trace amounts
  • potatoes (raw right now, *hoping to not need to put a lot of effort into this).
  • cheddar cheese.
  • cucumbers :confused1:
  • apricots...intrigued with the thought of using them and willing to experiment
  • grapes...thinking this is a huge stretch
  • bacon, no doubt going to use it :love5:
There's more food in the house but this is the only stuff coming to my mind that's potentially feasible.
“It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity

Comments

• jonquiljonquil Posts: 94Registered Users
    I love cherry tomatoes, feta, spinach and ham in my omelettes :)

I would use the mushrooms, tomatoes, potatoes and bacon (and spinach if you have it) and make a frittata - which is the same as an omelette but instead of flipping it over you sprinkle cheese on it and put it under the grill for a few mins.

The apricots intrigued me and I found this recipe:
    http://www.quickfreerecipes.com/quick-apricot-omelette-recipe-2/
    it would be very interesting to try!
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    _jonquil_ wrote: »
    I love cherry tomatoes, feta, spinach and ham in my omelettes :)

I would use the mushrooms, tomatoes, potatoes and bacon (and spinach if you have it) and make a frittata - which is the same as an omelette but instead of flipping it over you sprinkle cheese on it and put it under the grill for a few mins.

The apricots intrigued me and I found this recipe:
    http://www.quickfreerecipes.com/quick-apricot-omelette-recipe-2/
    it would be very interesting to try!

The one you love sounds delicious.

I'll probably use the mushrooms, cheese, tomatoes and bacon...and then put a bit of apricot (credit to backyard tree) in there. Maybe just in a section first to spot test it. If it was sans apricot I might go ahead and allot time to prep the potatoes.

Spinach would be great but I don't have any on hand.

I'll have to try that recipe completely how it is too, thanks for the link!!
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

• SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    There are sweet omelettes too. They're sometimes souffled, in that the whites get separated from the yolks, but there are regular ones as well.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    So my family really doubted how putting apricots in with it would come out. I got a few 'naaah's from people.

It was one of the best things I've ever made for breakfast :D I thought it would probably at least pass...wouldn't be awful, but I didn't expect that it would actually taste very good. I shared some with my dad who was the most vocal skeptic on the apricot note, and he liked it a lot.

I used a little olive oil on the skillet and in the egg batter. Also used a bit of Louisiana hot sauce, salt and pepper in the batter. I basically had a big handful worth of filler - chopped tomato, chopped apricot, mushrooms, and large bacon bits (2 pieces worth). I shredded cheddar cheese over the whole thing while it cooked, and dotted the non-filled half with more bacon bits.

While trying to fold it in half on the skillet, only a third came over, so it wound up being folded like a burrito, but not for the worse.

It was the highlight of my day.

I'd make it as it was again but am looking forward to getting some greenery- definitely spinach, and some kale to go with other ingredient combos.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file