Glucose test?

fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
The ultra sound thread got me thinking. I've heard something about a nasty test where they make you drink a disgusting drink and then test your sugar level. Is that for everyone, or just those at risk for gestational diabetes?

(Anyone else read about all these tests and think "What have I gotten myself into?" :oops: )
Hair type: 3A/B
I lurk, therefore, I am.
My Blog

Comments

• CGECGE Posts: 1,911Registered Users
    I think that's everyone. I remember a girl I worked with needing to drink a nasty orange soda looking thing.
    I used to have a signature but it disappeared and I just couldn't be bothered writing another so please feel free to ingore this.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    fuzzbucket wrote:
    The ultra sound thread got me thinking. I've heard something about a nasty test where they make you drink a disgusting drink and then test your sugar level. Is that for everyone, or just those at risk for gestational diabetes?

(Anyone else read about all these tests and think "What have I gotten myself into?" :oops: )

Yep!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, everyone is supposed to have it.
    I thought it tasted like Orange Crush.
    lol @ what have I gotten myself into!
    Which is why once is enough for moi!

0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's for everyone. The taste wasn't so bad. Like flat orange soda. Just know that it might make you a little woozy/spacey. They didn't warn me and I thought I was losing my mind.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • loosecurlsloosecurls Posts: 637Registered Users
    It didn't taste too bad----very much like flat orange soda only thicker. There's also some places that have it in a solid form.

The 1 hour isn't nearly as bad as the 3 hour. I failed my 1 hr w/ flying colors (apparantly set a new record in the lab!) so a week later I was back for the 3 hr. Bring something to read & settle in for the duration!
    Slinky's rule for NC.com:

I suppose I can't judge you because you married a serviceman and it is wartime. Boo hoo. You must be loney sitting at home with nothing else to do but pick on people. Why don't you go masterbate again?
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    you don't have to consent to the glucose test at all. There are other alternatives and many question the realiability of a GD diagnosis.
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    loosecurls wrote:
    It didn't taste too bad----very much like flat orange soda only thicker. There's also some places that have it in a solid form.

The 1 hour isn't nearly as bad as the 3 hour. I failed my 1 hr w/ flying colors (apparantly set a new record in the lab!) so a week later I was back for the 3 hr. Bring something to read & settle in for the duration!

If you pass the 1 hour, do you need the 3 hour?

Marielle: What other tests are out there? I'm very curious.
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • loosecurlsloosecurls Posts: 637Registered Users
    no--if you pass the 1 h you're good to go. You only get the 3 hr if you fail the 1 hr.

If you had GD w/ a previous pregnancy they'll test you sooner in your next preg.
    Slinky's rule for NC.com:

I suppose I can't judge you because you married a serviceman and it is wartime. Boo hoo. You must be loney sitting at home with nothing else to do but pick on people. Why don't you go masterbate again?
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    fuzzbucket, this is a good place to start:

http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregnancy/pcomplications/0,,9z3m,00.html

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gdmodent.html

Last time around instead of the GTT I had my midwife do a fingerprick fasting glucose test at different intervals (one visit was overnight fasting, the next 3 hour fasting, the next 1 hour) and each came back not only normal but great.

From my reading it seems the healthier your body and diet the more of a spike the glucola will cause as your body is not used to processing that much glucose at once. So despite having a healthier diet with my 2nd pregnancy during the 1 hour GTT my levels spiked higher than with my first pregnancy.

I was on the lookout for my final desired outcome - an intervention free birth and a lasting healthy nursing relationship. In this article you'll read some info that neither diet nor meds produced any significant improvement in the mother's sugar levels. However, if I'd been diagnosed with GD not only would I have had no improvement from these two atlernatives but I would have been treated with kid gloves during the pregnancy, my midwive's OB partner would have freaked at the idea of me going 2 weeks overdue (which I did with both pregnancies, both perfectly normal) and then induction would become the word of the day. Then they would begin to harp about baby needingl glucose water after birth. This would definitely have affected our nursing relationship (both the interventions during birth and the glucose water after birth).

Anyway, won't go on much longer but that article is a good place to begin your research. I did the fingerpricks mostly for my midwive's peace of mind.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    fuzzbucket wrote:

I totally forgot about that one. Nah, wasn't so bad. I agree that it tasted like flat orange soda. I was all worried b/c people were telling me it tasted nasty. Nothing to be worried about.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    The GTT is another test that I think I might pass on the next time. How accurate can this test be when they don't do a baseline measurement? You go in and drink that orange stuff and they measure your blood sugar an hour later. And the compare it to what?

I'm not anti-medicine at all, but seriously some of the stuff that you do when you are pregnant is just sketchy. You don't want to say no because of the "what if" factor but still, bad tests are worse than no tests at all.

Anmeris - I would plan to do the internal ultrasound and not think any more about it. You can always change your mind at the last minute (but I'm sure you won't - curiousity will get the better of you!).

• Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Personally I don't see what the big deal is, and why you would even bother passing on a test. I undestand turning down medication, anitbiotics, or even vaccines, but they're just TESTING you for something. What's the point of refusing just because YOU don't see the point in it?

The only tests I refused was that test that could determine if your child were Downs Syndrom. THAT one I didn't see the point of. A test that could give false positives, and have you freaking out for your whole pregnancy for no reason was pointless to me.

All the other tests I don't have a problem with. Something that could potentially harm the baby like amnios or frequent ultrasounds I would question, but cultures, taking blood, etc, I just don't see why you'd refuse.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    babywavy wrote:
    Personally I don't see what the big deal is, and why you would even bother passing on a test. I undestand turning down medication, anitbiotics, or even vaccines, but they're just TESTING you for something. What's the point of refusing just because YOU don't see the point in it?

The only tests I refused was that test that could determine if your child were Downs Syndrom. THAT one I didn't see the point of. A test that could give false positives, and have you freaking out for your whole pregnancy for no reason was pointless to me.

All the other tests I don't have a problem with. Something that could potentially harm the baby like amnios or frequent ultrasounds I would question, but cultures, taking blood, etc, I just don't see why you'd refuse.

I passed on the triple screen blood test, because of the high incidence of false positives. Basically any test, no matter how non-invasive in itself, has the potential of a false positive. A false positive means more unnecessary tests and treatments that possibly affect you, your baby or your delivery adversely. So you have to weigh the potential harm from not diagnosing something vs the negative side effects that the test can cause.

I will certainly discuss the fasting blood sugar test as an alternative next time I am pregnant.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • PhDCowPhDCow Posts: 1,621Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had a choice of cola, lemon-lime, or orange. I chose orange, which was a mistake. To this day, I still can't drink orange soda and the mere thought of the syrup makes my stomach queasy.

I failed my 1 hour both times. With Emma, they pronounced me "borderline GD" and I had to go on a special diet. With Colin, I protested and they did a 2-hour postprandial (blood sugar 2 hours after eating a big breakfast) which showed that I wasn't GD. In fact, I'm hypoglycemic. Duh. I told you people I wasn't diabetic.
    God doesn't give special kids to special parents. He takes ordinary, imperfect people, and gifts them with his greatest treasures. And therein, he creates special parents.

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    To me the problem is that medical decisions are made based on tests and if the reliability of the test is in question, then it leads to unnecessary medical intervention.

Its nice to say (as I thought the first time) "oh, I'll keep this all in perspective when I hear the results", but it doesn't happen that way. Its hard to ignore results even if they may be flawed. And doctors are definitely not going to ignore them, there are medico-legal consequences for them to do so.

I'm not afraid of needles or speculums or swabs or scalpels, for that matter. But its got to be genuinely for the good of me and my baby. A lot of routine tests are currently done for historical reasons rather than good solid evidence based medicine.

• three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    There is a high incidence of diabetes on my mother's side which put me at high risk for having it gestationally. I was having general blood work done, and was not told that they would be checking blood sugar - so I had fruit salad and pancakes with syrup for breakfast. :roll: The blood sugar came back a "little" high.

Of course I had to go for the 3 hour blood test. Of course they had a really hard time getting blood. I got stuck 9 times instead of 4. It was horrible - I am a needle phobe, so it was like torture to begin with.

Luckily it came back negative - I fasted the second time.
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    Ok, it wasn't the taste, it was the texture of the drink for me. ::shudder::

oh, on the lighter side, when marielle said something about the GD tests, I thought she was cursing for the first time ever :oops:
    ________
    Paxil death
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Something is wrong with me, I guess. I thought the orange drink was pretty tasty. Sort of like Sunkist or Fanta. Maybe it was because I was fasting and ready to chew off and eat my hand at that point. I don't know.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    There's an article in Slate now about why screening tests can do more harm than good.

Link
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    I was high risk and chose to skip the amnio as well as the downs screening. My cultural mix tends to show a high rate of false positives. I relied on the U/S to show any abnormalities or concerns.
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Edited: I will start a new topic, as not to guano this one.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Did anyone do the Glucose test without drinking the Kool-aid? My midwife is making me eat a well-rounded breakfast for the pre and post test. Ratonale was she wants to see how I react to real food.
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Did anyone do the Glucose test without drinking the Kool-aid? My midwife is making me eat a well-rounded breakfast for the pre and post test. Ratonale was she wants to see how I react to real food.

I've never known that was an option. Unless you are given very specific amounts of certain foods, it seems there could be so many variables ( no controls).

The liquid isn't that bad- it's like a slightly flat orange soda. Much better than that syrupy stuff I had to take when I was pregnant w/DD years ago.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I hear you can do it with jelly beans.

Edited to add link.
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Your midwife is into minimal interventions, right? I don't know how that test works but I have heard of many midwives doing it. It certainly has to feel better than the orange stuff leaves you feeling.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file