What moms wish they'd known....

Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I got this emailed to me from baby center. I thought some of you might find it helpful.

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/pregnancy/childbirth/1405171.html?scid=momspreg:20061127:3064:19997:9354
~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.

Comments

• CGECGE Posts: 1,911Registered Users
    That's awesome, thanks!
    I used to have a signature but it disappeared and I just couldn't be bothered writing another so please feel free to ingore this.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    What to expect after the baby came — like the first bowel movement. Who would ever have thought something so cute and little could produce something so awful?

:D :D :D

So very true. Ben was just cleaned up and lying there all cute wrapped in a blanket and then I peeked inside and he was covered with meconium from his neck down to his toes. Good thing the nurses helped out because we did not know what to do with it.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    At least you got him right away. Everything was done so quickly in the L&D room, but I think she aspirated the merconium, and they rushed her over to the bassinett, and had her attended to by the NICU - hubby didn't get to cut her cord, and I didn't even get to hold her for an hour.

It was tough sitting there watching her across the room for that whole time.

• CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I didn't get to hold S at first, but they explained before that they would show her to us, clean her up, do what they had to do, and then hand her right back to me - but they would have her where we could see her the whole time. They let Mark and me have a little time with her, then wheeled us out where my family was waiting so they got a little time to oohh and ahh (I actually get kind of teary about that part because they told me at noon that I would be having a section at two, and my family hauled butt to get there - both of my brothers and their wives left work, my aunts and cousins were there, and of course my parents). Then I went to recovery and Mark went with her for the rest of the newborn stuff and they got us all back together as soon as possible. They also didn't leave me sitting around starving for hours. As soon as I got there, they brought a tray - granted, it was that whole "clear diet" thing because of the surgery, but they didn't leave me hanging.

I have heard some really horrific stories, esp about sections, but our hospital was so great. Mark was never left alone fumbling with scrubs and wondering what was going on, everything was explained ahead of time, everyone was very professional but also supportive, they took our feelings into consideration.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I missed a lot of the new baby stuff because I didn't get to see X until he was 36 hours old and then only for a few minutes. Although that makes me sad, I am not sad about missing the meconium. Jesse came back and told me that he and the nurses almost had to break out a chisel to get it off of Xander's little booty.

CGNYC, I don't get that clear diet crap. I ate breakfast about 20 minutes before the c-section and they had another one waiting on my in my room after I left recovery. Why do some doctors think it is cool to starve the people who need food the most?
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
    We were lucky - everything went smoothly in the delivery so he never left my sight till I left him in the care of his grandparents so I could take a shower because I STANK. I can only imagine how nervewracking it is if they have to take the baby away.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CGNYC, I don't get that clear diet crap. I ate breakfast about 20 minutes before the c-section and they had another one waiting on my in my room after I left recovery. Why do some doctors think it is cool to starve the people who need food the most?

Oh that was just my test-driving food. Once I ate that and nothing weird happened, they brought real food at the next meal. YAY for real food.
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The eating thing- I don't remember what happened after I delivered DD, but when she broke my water at 3:30 am, I waited until contractions got stronger (about 6:30 am) to leave for the hospital. Because I get very cranky and very tired when my blood sugar drops, I ate something " light" before we left the house- grapes and OJ. I felt good for a while, but after I got to the hospital and was in labor, all the grapes and OJ came up with a vengence. :cry:
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    geeky wrote:
    We were lucky - everything went smoothly in the delivery so he never left my sight till I left him in the care of his grandparents so I could take a shower because I STANK. I can only imagine how nervewracking it is if they have to take the baby away.

Well, although I didn't get to hold her, they never took her away. They did everything in the bassinett in the room, and then if they had any reason to leave the room w/ her, my husband went too.

The only time she was out of my sight was when my mom was over and I went to take a shower. Other than that, I had a Moses basket, which I recommend everyone to get. It was great, I just put her in the little basket and carried her to whatever room I was going in.

• deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    DarkAngel wrote:

I had not eaten for over 24 hours by the time i went into labor...they did not tell me to eat before i came in to be induced, so i have lunch at 12 andwas planning on wendy's at the hospital..i got there and they said no more food WTF! all i cojuld have is jello and popsicalls, both which make me gag, i finally snuck in some gateraid at 1pm the next day and i did not get to eat until literally 48 hours after my last meal!
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
    I'm so surprised so many of you felt like you were denied food! The LAST thing on my mind when I was in labor was EATING!!

I had B at about 3pm, and I think they fed me dinner. I was totally okay with that.

• marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    no way would I have given up the food and like spider I pretty much throw up right before active labor. I STILL chose to eat the second time around. I get really pissy with low blood sugar and get major migraines. Not something I wanted during the marathon of labor so I made sure to eat every couple of hours during the first part of labor. Even after the "cleaning out" I munched on light snacks during active labor. It really helps with the stamina.

Then right after birth the first thing I did both times when we were settled in our rooms was order a big 'ol honking meal (usually a heavy duty comfort food meal with dessert and everything). Then we both cuddled up in bed and slept. Ahhhhhh.

Ian and Ryan were both on my chest constantly except for when they were cleaned up and that was done bedside. It's a good thing too, those nurses like to take all sorts of liberties with what they do and state things as a matter of fact instead of asking the parent. However, like others mentioned here if the baby needed to go somewhere else then I had my husband prepared to head with the baby and not leave his side.
    I was starving while I was in "labor". Maybe it was different for me since I'm not sure I was ever in real labor. My water broke and they pumped up the pitocin but nothing was happening that bothered me. They did try to deny me food once they started the piticon but I came prepared. Then when the anesthesiologist dropped by, he okayed breakfast so I didn't have to sneak anymore.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had a planned c-section and was put on liquid diet untill I peed. Then I moved to a soft diet until I had poo'd. After that I had a regular diet although I was still hungry so the nurse's ordered me extra food. I didn't know I could order food anytime I was hungry....once I found that out...I didn't starve the rest of my hospital stay.
    babywavy wrote:
    I'm so surprised so many of you felt like you were denied food! The LAST thing on my mind when I was in labor was EATING!!

I had B at about 3pm, and I think they fed me dinner. I was totally okay with that.

I didn't really feel like eating when I was in active labor but I did sip gatorade, which my midwife very much encouraged. But I was in early labor for something like 18 hours. You bet your ass I ate. I puked also but I will be eating the second time around again. It makes no sense to starve your body when you are expending that much energy.

geeky wrote:
    babywavy wrote:

I didn't really feel like eating when I was in active labor but I did sip gatorade, which my midwife very much encouraged. But I was in early labor for something like 18 hours. You bet your ass I ate. I puked also but I will be eating the second time around again. It makes no sense to starve your body when you are expending that much energy.

Hey, I got you beat, I was in early labor for over 40 hours! I'm sure I ate during that time, but I just can't remember what.

I just meant that by the time I got to the hospital I was SO in labor, yet only like 4 cm dialated - but by the time the contractions are coming every 4 min and lasting for about 2 min each, I didn't have time to think about food!

babywavy wrote:
    Hey, I got you beat, I was in early labor for over 40 hours! I'm sure I ate during that time, but I just can't remember what.

I don't remember what I ate either. I'm sure my hubby does, cause he cleaned up my puke when I didn't make it to the toilet in time.

geeky wrote:
    babywavy wrote:

I don't remember what I ate either. I'm sure my hubby does, cause he cleaned up my puke when I didn't make it to the toilet in time.

Thank God I never puked, and as far as I know, didn't poop on the table. All in all, it could've been worse, but I don't think anyone has a "happy" labor experience, no matter how good it is! :lol:

• loosecurlsloosecurls Posts: 637Registered Users
    My water broke at home at 4am the day I was to be induced (thank God for not having the cervidil!). 17 hours & a c section later Bets arrived. I wasn't allowed to eat solids until I had pooped which was a day after she was born. I was sick of bouillon, coffee & jello for lunch & dinner!

What I wish I'd realized was how very important it is to sleep when the baby sleeps! Your cleaning, laundry, etc can wait.
    Slinky's rule for NC.com:

I suppose I can't judge you because you married a serviceman and it is wartime. Boo hoo. You must be loney sitting at home with nothing else to do but pick on people. Why don't you go masterbate again?
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    Merconium? What the heckis that?
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
    a bowel movement that the baby has in utero. The presence of it can cause problems during labor/delivery usually if the baby swallows it.

I suppose I can't judge you because you married a serviceman and it is wartime. Boo hoo. You must be loney sitting at home with nothing else to do but pick on people. Why don't you go masterbate again?
    loosecurls wrote:
    a bowel movement that the baby has in utero. The presence of it can cause problems during labor/delivery usually if the baby swallows it.

It's not just in utero. The first few movements are meconium, which is black and sticky like tar. If they have the first BM while still in utero they can swallow or breathe it and it's not good. But lots of babies wait till they are out to have it.

• shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    Okay, I have seen that before with a newborn. But it wasn't a big poop. It was really little but thick and black. It wasn't the first poop- it was a few days later.
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
    geeky wrote:

It's not just in utero. The first few movements are meconium, which is black and sticky like tar. If they have the first BM while still in utero they can swallow or breathe it and it's not good. But lots of babies wait till they are out to have it.

Bets didn't wait so I had the always enjoyable fetal scalp monitor & fluid flush. Sounds like an oil change doesn't it? "fluid flush" :lol:

• iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    DarkAngel wrote:

If you look into the research, you will find that a lot of standard obstetrical practices are not evidence based and have few or no studies demonstrating that they are useful. Some medical practices in pregnancy may even be harmful if used when unnecessary (and they often are).

The reason for starving laboring women is that many years ago, c-sections had to be done under general anesthesia and there was a higher risk of aspirating the contents of the stomach, so doctors decided that no laboring woman should be given food--in case she needed a c-section. Today most women have c-sections with epidural anesthesia, so aspiration (basically vomiting while you're unconscious and then inhaling the vomit) is not a concern. Also, if general anesthesia is done properly the risk of aspirating is very low.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
    shelli wrote:

Shelli, meconium is a black, tar-like substance that lines the baby's bowels in utero. Usually it is passed in the first bowel movements. However, if a baby is stressed in utero, it may pass meconium in the womb. So presence of meconium in the amniotic fluid *may* indicate fetal distress. The danger of passing meconium in utero is that the baby can inhale it, which may interfere with the baby being able to breathe after birth and cause problems in the lungs.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
    iris427 wrote:
    shelli wrote:

Shelli, meconium is a black, tar-like substance that lines the baby's bowels in utero. Usually it is passed in the first bowel movements. However, if a baby is stressed in utero, it may pass meconium in the womb. So presence of meconium in the amniotic fluid *may* indicate fetal distress. The danger of passing meconium in utero is that the baby can inhale it, which may interfere with the baby being able to breathe after birth and cause problems in the lungs.

Ya, fetal stress like I went to the hospital in labor and they really should have induced me, but they said I wasn't far enough along and sent me home for another day.

babywavy wrote:
    iris427 wrote:
    shelli wrote:

Ya, fetal stress like I went to the hospital in labor and they really should have induced me, but they said I wasn't far enough along and sent me home for another day.

Hmm, that sounds like fetal and maternal stress :P
    iris427 wrote:
    babywavy wrote:
    iris427 wrote:
    shelli wrote:

Hmm, that sounds like fetal and maternal stress :P

You're not kidding!! :lol:

iris427 wrote:
    DarkAngel wrote:

If you look into the research, you will find that a lot of standard obstetrical practices are not evidence based and have few or no studies demonstrating that they are useful. Some medical practices in pregnancy may even be harmful if used when unnecessary (and they often are).

The reason for starving laboring women is that many years ago, c-sections had to be done under general anesthesia and there was a higher risk of aspirating the contents of the stomach, so doctors decided that no laboring woman should be given food--in case she needed a c-section. Today most women have c-sections with epidural anesthesia, so aspiration (basically vomiting while you're unconscious and then inhaling the vomit) is not a concern. Also, if general anesthesia is done properly the risk of aspirating is very low.

I know the theoretical reason. I just don't get why they keep doing it when the research shows otherwise now. I had general anesthesia 15-20 minutes after eating. They managed to keep me from aspirating just fine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file