Does anyone have a recipe for a curl activator?

Italian CurlsItalian Curls Registered Users Posts: 77
Anyone? Anyone? I've searched and searched for one in stores, but they all have d-cone and a-cone and a bunch of other cones. I'd like a curl activator, and I'd make one if i need to.
Curl type- 3a, medium texture, high porosity
Co-wash- Suave Naturals Coconut
Conditioner- BedHead Moisture Maniac/ Burt's Bees More Moisture (trying to find something better)
Style- Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Gel, Honey (sometimes)
Deep Conditioner-Burts Bees
Methods- Icequeen, Plopping (overnight & straight after shower)

Trying to grow out hair for Locks of Love!

Comments

• CurlyMomCurlyMom Registered Users Posts: 334
    I think you can add some mag. sulfate (epsom salt) to FSG and it will help with the curls. I know that lots of curl activators have that in it.
    2c/3a/3b Fine/med texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Registered Users Posts: 5,491 Curl Neophyte
    Anyone? Anyone? I've searched and searched for one in stores, but they all have d-cone and a-cone and a bunch of other cones. I'd like a curl activator, and I'd make one if i need to.

Flaxseed Gel is the best homemade curl activator. You can add mag sulfate to it to enhance curl as well. There are lots of threads here on how to make it.
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • kasdenkasden Registered Users Posts: 1,045 Curl Connoisseur
    I make a curl enhancing spray in a 4 oz bottle: 1/2 teaspoon avg, about 8 drops of honey, fill up the bottle with water and shake, shake, shake. Sometimes after my my hair has dried there are a few pieces that didn't curl - this perks them right up! Or I use it on 2nd day hair. HTH!
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
  • veganyoginiveganyogini Registered Users Posts: 31

Flaxseed Gel is the best homemade curl activator. You can add mag sulfate to it to enhance curl as well. There are lots of threads here on how to make it.

How much mag sulfate? I'm going to make some of this today.
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Registered Users Posts: 5,491 Curl Neophyte

How much mag sulfate? I'm going to make some of this today.

It really depends how sensitive you are to it b/c to some curlies it can be drying. I used 1/2 teaspoon of it in my 2 cups water (1/2 cup flaxseed) and bought it to a boil then strained. Some curlies add it later.

This is a good thread for you to check out: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=61208
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • Italian CurlsItalian Curls Registered Users Posts: 77
    @kasden-- thanks! I'll be sure to try that! Use on dry or wet hair- or both?

@Naturalista-- is there anything you can put in the FSG to counter the dryness of the magsulfate? My hair is easily dried out.
    Conditioner- BedHead Moisture Maniac/ Burt's Bees More Moisture (trying to find something better)

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    You can use magnesium oil instead of magnesium sulfate. It provides the curl enhancement without the drying effect.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have only used it on dry hair. Honey is a great curl enhancer. Here's a thread about it's gazillion uses. You can add it to conditioner (don't add it to an entire bottle, it can spoil), mix it with your LI, add it to DT, mix it with FSG, use it as a rinse out, etc, etc. Start out with using just a little bit - it doesn't take much! Some people rave about using honey in the summer, but when the dews get over 60 it causes my hair to frizz. Honey is a humectant.

Have you tried using a mousse to help enhance curls? I alternate using mousse and FSG. My favorite is the Aussie Aussome Volume mousse. Some people find mousse to be drying, but I keep my hair well moisturized so I don't have a problem with it.

Okay...just one more thing I like to use - protein really helps my curls a TON! I do a PT (always followed by a DT) once a week as well as doing a mini-DT with a conditioner with protein.

I hope you find something that works for you! :smilebox:

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
    kasden wrote: »
    I have only used it on dry hair. Honey is a great curl enhancer. Here's a thread about it's gazillion uses. You can add it to conditioner (don't add it to an entire bottle, it can spoil), mix it with your LI, add it to DT, mix it with FSG, use it as a rinse out, etc, etc. Start out with using just a little bit - it doesn't take much! Some people rave about using honey in the summer, but when the dews get over 60 it causes my hair to frizz. Honey is a humectant.

Have you tried using a mousse to help enhance curls? I alternate using mousse and FSG. My favorite is the Aussie Aussome Volume mousse. Some people find mousse to be drying, but I keep my hair well moisturized so I don't have a problem with it.

Okay...just one more thing I like to use - protein really helps my curls a TON! I do a PT (always followed by a DT) once a week as well as doing a mini-DT with a conditioner with protein.

I hope you find something that works for you! :smilebox:

Wow! Thanks so much! That thread was really helpful:) I'll have to go buy some- the one in my pantry is crystallized it's so old! Whoops....:cyclopsani:

Is honey difficult to get out? I feel like its stickiness would make it need a low poo or something to get it out.

I never have a problem getting it out - I alternate co-washing and low-pooing. Surprisingly, it's not sticky at all, but it is a little crunchy when it dries. It's really easy to SOTC. :flower:

I never have a problem getting it out - I alternate co-washing and low-pooing. Surprisingly, it's not sticky at all, but it is a little crunchy when it dries. It's really easy to SOTC. :flower:

Hm, how often do you low-poo? I dislike low-pooing.

I low-poo about every 4 days. So let's say I co-wash on Sunday, I low-poo on Tues., co-wash on Thurs., low-poo on Sat., etc. Through trial and error, this works best for me. If you can get away with only low-pooing every 5-7 weeks that's awesome!

I low-poo about every 4 days. So let's say I co-wash on Sunday, I low-poo on Tues., co-wash on Thurs., low-poo on Sat., etc. Through trial and error, this works best for me. If you can get away with only low-pooing every 5-7 weeks that's awesome!

Okay, that doesn't sound too bad. I was worried you were going to say something like low-pooing every other day, and I am not willing to do that! My hair doesn't do well with constant low-pooing.

• pharaohpharaoh Registered Users Posts: 156 Curl Neophyte
    kathymac,
    so magnesium oil is magnesium chlorate right, not magnesium sulfate (epsom salt)?

recently I bought some magnesium chlorate to make some magnesium oil....for aches and pains (yes it does work!).

Could I use that in my fsg instead of the epsom salt? I now use about 1 teaspoons in my 1/4 cup of seeds.

Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file