Not Sure what to do

pontoofpontoof Registered Users Posts: 23
I recently decided to start wearing my hair wavy instead of straightening it. I bought and read the book Curly Girl. It makes sense to me, however my friend told me about this product called Curls Rock, she said it's awesome and it makes your hair curlier. I would like to try it to try to make my wavy hair more curly, however this goes against the CG routine doesn't it? Also, the book says that if you follow the routine that your hair will be more curly after 2-3 weeks, is that true? So, my question is, should I use Curls Rock and if I do, I need to shampoo right? If I don't, and I follow the CG, will my hair get curlier? Right now it's a 2c.

Thanks,

Molly

Comments

• mitabirdmitabird Registered Users Posts: 226 Curl Connoisseur
    If you do use the Curls Rock, you will definitely have to shampoo it out. I've been on the CG routine for almost 2 1/2 years, but I don't think my hair became curlier. Following the routine has helped define the curls more than anything for me.
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls
  • ShearcrazyShearcrazy Registered Users Posts: 24
    I have used Curls rock before a long time ago and it builds up. give your hair around 2 weeks to become more curly. by straightening it you have disrupted the curl pattern. give it time. try co washing and use a light clear alcohol free gel. I like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]AG recoil[/buylink], [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-Angell-p-57.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-angell]DevaCurl Angel[/buylink]l, or Deva Curl Set It Free. Be careful about some styling LOTIONS even if they are CG friendly, they can take away shine. Scalp may become itchy at first, but keep with it. This is just your scalp healing.
    Curly Girl Using Low Poo, One Condition, and Ange'll. 3B
    http://www.commontribehairdressing.com
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    I used the Curls Rock when I wasn't CG, and it built up REALLY bad. I shampooed every day, and that still wasn't enough to get it out. If you do choose to use it, I would definitely alternate it with something else, so you don't use it every day.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    CG definitely made my hair curlier. I think a lot of people do like Curls Rock, though.
  • TranspogueTranspogue Registered Users Posts: 31
    Curls Rock, and a lot of the Tigi/BedHead products, are quite prone to buildup. One of the reasons why is that they are VERY concentrated and a tiny bit goes a long way. A lot of people overapply because they treat it like gel. I'd say that if you are using the Curls Rock Amplifier (I'm assuming this is the product you are referring to) a shampoo once a week will get it out. The key is to REALLY emulsify in your palms first, perhaps even wet your hands before you apply it into your palms. Start with a half pump, and NEVER use more than 2 pumps.
    3A fine, growing out from a mohawk
    As of 1/07:
    Top 7"
    Sides 3.5"
    JC Aloeba, TooShea (1x wk.), Cleansing Cream (1-2x wk.), RR, CCSS, Kenra Volume Spray, Joico JoiWhip
    Want a rockin' curly cut?
    East 42nd St. Salon
    http://www.e42salon.com
  • curlybrunette5curlybrunette5 Registered Users Posts: 264
    I used Curls Rock for awhile. At first it was great. But then it built up and made my hair look and feel like crap. I pitched it and moved on to CG and have never been happier with my hair.
    3a on top and sides/3b underneath...lots of hair

My HG: Sabino Lok & Blok
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Registered Users Posts: 907
    I thought of myself as a wavy for many years, in cooler dryer climates my hair behaved as such. However, the humidity in S. FL made me wonder if I was an "undercover curly". What CG does is help you develop your full curl potential so you won't know for sure what that is until you've been on the routine for at least 3 weeks. Also, if your hair is shorter than shoulder length it won't show its maximum curl potential, mine was at its curliest when it was shoulder length or more.

So, if I were you I'd forget about the Curls Rock and simply invest in some good products like the DevaCurl line, which was created by Lorraine Massey, or Jessicurl. If you can't afford them, the next best choice would be products from a health food store.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    I thought of myself as a wavy for many years, in cooler dryer climates my hair behaved as such. However, the humidity in S. FL made me wonder if I was an "undercover curly". What CG does is help you develop your full curl potential so you won't know for sure what that is until you've been on the routine for at least 3 weeks. Also, if your hair is shorter than shoulder length it won't show its maximum curl potential, mine was at its curliest when it was shoulder length or more.

So, if I were you I'd forget about the Curls Rock and simply invest in some good products like the DevaCurl line, which was created by Lorraine Massey, or Jessicurl. If you can't afford them, the next best choice would be products from a health food store.

Well, for 3Bs and up, it could be the opposite. My hair is waaay curlier shorter than longer. The longer it gets, the looser the curl.

I do think that cg or modified cg does a good job at bringing out genetic potential.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • pontoofpontoof Registered Users Posts: 23
    Thank you so much, I want to try devacurl, but I've heard a lot of people saying that conditioner by suave and gel by HE is good, is that true? They are soooo cheap, I can't believe that they are just as good as the more expensive salon type products. If they are, that is great because I spend way too much money on product!
    I personally do not like Suave, not enough conditioning for my color-treated hair and I don't like the fact that they can cause build up, however, they apparently work for some people whose hair needs are minimal. If that sounds like you maybe you can use them too. I have not tried the HE gel so I can't give an opinion.

If you spend too much on products the CG routine is ideal for you as it only requires one or two COs and one gel. If you choose your products carefully and STICK to them the whole first 3 weeks you can avoid becoming a PJ (product junkie). It's important that you keep your expectations realistic as each person's hair will only do what it's genetically programmed to do and once you reach that potential there's not much else any product can do.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

• teela1978teela1978 Registered Users Posts: 278
    Man, what's with the suave dissin' these days? I've never noticed buildup myself, although I agree it's not very moisturizing. I usually use it as a washing conditioner to get rid of oily scalp issues and then follow up with a richer 2nd conditioner or a leave-in. For a new CG'er I think it's a good and cheap place to start, no harm in trying :)
    Fine Wavy (2a)
    Weeklyish shampoo with CO's inbetween to keep down the grease.
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Registered Users Posts: 2,369
    Suave is enough moisture for me as a cowash and conditioner.
    3b-3c CG
    You people are reacting as if you owned shares at Unilever! Just because some of us state our honest opinion about Suave you don't have to take it personally and call this "dissing". It's fine for y'all to be happy they work for you but you have to realize Suave COs are not going to work for eveyone, not even the better products do, so get over it already!

• LadyCurlyLocksLadyCurlyLocks Registered Users Posts: 341
    Popping in to give a bright, sunny *hello!* to everyone this morning, and pontoof, I hope you find the condish that's right for your hair. Good luck going CG, I hope you'll keep us updated! :D
    3B Corkscrew... I'm back on the boards now! Just got The Big Chop on Monday, pics coming soon.
  • LadyCurlyLocksLadyCurlyLocks Registered Users Posts: 341
    oops, dp
    3B Corkscrew... I'm back on the boards now! Just got The Big Chop on Monday, pics coming soon.
  • teela1978teela1978 Registered Users Posts: 278
    You people are reacting as if you owned shares at Unilever! Just because some of us state our honest opinion about Suave you don't have to take it personally and call this "dissing". It's fine for y'all to be happy they work for you but you have to realize Suave COs are not going to work for eveyone, not even the better products do, so get over it already!

Gosh halfwavyhalf curly, I'm sorry you took that the wrong way :) Clearly my inflection of humor didn't make it through the computer. CO definitely doesen't work for everyone, and obviously Suave doesen't work for everyone. I do think it's a good place to start CO routines (or with v05 or white rain) because of the pricing though. That may just be my starving student status talking though.
    Fine Wavy (2a)
    Weeklyish shampoo with CO's inbetween to keep down the grease.
    teela:

Well, I didn't mean anything personally:). I don't know if you've noticed that you have not been the only one protesting whenever I, Shearcrazy (or anyone else) gives a negative (yet well-founded) opinion on Suave, so it gets kind of tiring. I know what it's like to be in a budget so I'm glad some of their COs work for other people. I don't necessarily believe a more costly product "has to" be better than a more economical one, proof of that is that I've been using VO5 Kiwi & Lime as one of my wash COs for over 2 years now (probably more) and I began doing so after reading a lot about it HERE.

By the same token, after being in these forums on/off for 4 years I've seen a lot of people "fail" at CG because their hair needed more than the inexpensive COs could give them, so I feel that if they can afford to pay a little more (choosing one from a health food store, for instance) they wouldn't have to drop out of the healthiest routine that I've seen for our hair.

• RedheadCurly2007RedheadCurly2007 Registered Users Posts: 230
    Hello. I have not read the entire thread here but have, in the past used, Curls Rock and loved it. I mean I could have bought it in cases...but it seems it would not be CG friendly although I could not find dimethicone in it. I found a site which sells it and also lists the ingredients, what do you all think? I did see it had panthenol, and I am not sure if we can use that. Please give me, and everyone, your thoughts.
    http://www.drugstore.com/qxp83565_332828_sespider/tigi/catwalk_curls_rock.htm
    3B, CG,Corkscrew
    Xtramoist shampoo, Fastfood leave on, Recoil, varnish Gel-Herbal Essances, Totally Twisted
    Irish-American Curly
    Never try to be something you are not, and never be afraid to be who you are.
    RedheadCurly
  • pro211pro211 Registered Users Posts: 110
    I'm not too good yet at picking out cones in ingredients but right off the bat I'd say Cyclomethicone would make this product not CG .I'm sure others will pop in and be able to tell you more.
    I think "the jury's still out" on this one. Every time I do a search on cyclomethicone I read it's a volatile 'cone, in other words it evaporates on contact. I also read it leaves very little residue behind so theoretically it shouldn't be a problem.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file