Moisture?, Over-Moisturizing?

HerAFROness96HerAFROness96 Posts: 9Registered Users
Hey everyone, I was wondering if it was okay to moisturize with just olive oil?

I'd like to get komaza care's hair lotions but I'm 14, don't have a job (lol believe me I've tried though), and my mom doesn't want to spend that much on it (it's a good $15 I think). I've been using olive oil, castor oil (in the grease form by hollywood beauty err somethin like that), and "Africa's Pride" (or "Best"? one of those lol) braid sheen on my braids and sometimes on my scalp bcuz it has a lot of good oils in it...I understand that moisture keeps length and prevents breakage, i havent had much breakage & i've only been natural for about a month so i can't really say it's grown [and its in a half head cornrow right now so i REALLY cant say with the front, & the back is hard to say bcuz like i said, only been natural for a month]. I put my olive oil, water, conditioner[somtimes replaced with kinky curly hair spritzer though], & braid sheen in my hair everyday to style and moisturize it, is it okay to put the oil in EVRYDAY? am i over-moisturizing it? is there REALLY any cons to "over-moisturizing"?

Thank you for reading, please leave some words of addvice if you can(:

-Ajanae aka HerAFROness96

Comments

• skegeesmbskegeesmb Posts: 63Registered Users
    I don't use that many things on my hair. In this picture I see it's straightened. Is your hair really dry? My routine is wash, use a light conditioner to detangle (I use Suave Coconut), and I wash that out and use herbal essences none of your frizziness as my leave in. I slap on a headband and go. I can usually pull 2 or 3 good days of this since my hair is pretty short (about 5-6 inches all over). When I first cut all of my relaxed hair off it was 3.5-4.5 inches in April. So this seems to be working for me and the products are cheap.
    Natural again 4/2010
    Hair type, kinky-curly 3c-4a type I believe
    medium to low porosity, medium textured, and medium density.

Who knew! Now that I know this, it's time I get started working on a hair routine!
    http://www.fotki.com/skegeesmb

event.png

event.png
  • HerAFROness96HerAFROness96 Posts: 9Registered Users
    well, when i wake up my hair is dry and matted but thats normal for me...after dampening it with water its still dry, after olive oil...still dry, so i add conditioner or KKSS & more olive oil. but im now going to change tht and first apply water, then conditioner or KKSS, & THEN olive oil.

this lady on youtube said conditioner can be used as a moisturizer, but oils are not, there used to lock in moisture not really add it...but thanx for ur input(:
  • HerAFROness96HerAFROness96 Posts: 9Registered Users
    skegeesmb wrote: »
    I don't use that many things on my hair. In this picture I see it's straightened. Is your hair really dry? My routine is wash, use a light conditioner to detangle (I use Suave Coconut), and I wash that out and use herbal essences none of your frizziness as my leave in. I slap on a headband and go. I can usually pull 2 or 3 good days of this since my hair is pretty short (about 5-6 inches all over). When I first cut all of my relaxed hair off it was 3.5-4.5 inches in April. So this seems to be working for me and the products are cheap.

well, when i wake up my hair is dry and matted but thats normal for me...after dampening it with water its still dry, after olive oil...still dry, so i add conditioner or KKSS & more olive oil. but im now going to change tht and first apply water, then conditioner or KKSS, & THEN olive oil.

this lady on youtube said conditioner can be used as a moisturizer, but oils are not, there used to lock in moisture not really add it...but thanx for ur input(:

(&& oops i accidently posted this another time)
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    ive been using olive oil on freshly washed hair under all my products for the past cpl mos with great success. My hair stays moisturized longer, its soft and shiny as well. Youve got to remember there are alot of people on YT who swear the way they treat their hair is the ONLY way to do it & its not the case. MlleCafeAuLait is a Youtuber who puts oil on first & her hair is gorgeous. each persons hair is different and youve got to take bits and peices from everywhere and put them together to form a regimen that works for you.

also all conditioners do not make good moisturizers, i particularly do not like leaving in conditioners at all (except trader joes nourish spa or yes to cucumbers) you should try those theyre affordable and can double as a rinse out. Natural conditioners are best if you want to do this, because they do not contain bad chemicals that might harm your hair or buildup!

you said when you wake up your hair is dry and matted.. before you go to sleep try wetting, detangling and applying the olive oil then and braiding in 4 braids or so and make sure you cover it with a scarf or bonnet. When you wake up some should be absorbed & your hair should be softer..That should help to start..
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oil alone does not moisturize. In fact it can dry out your hair which seems like what you are experiencing. Try a combination of conditioner and a little oil. The conditioner will moisturize and the oil helps hold moisture. Castor oil may work better than olive. After washing, on wet hair, use the conditioner like you would a curl styler and smooth/rake a little oil right over it. Over that you can use a gel (I like aloe vera gel).
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love Trader Joe's Nourish and Spa as a leave-in and it's very affordable. Unfortunately there isn't a TJ close to me so I have to stock up when I can.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file