Quick question!

abyssinianabyssinian Posts: 6Registered Users
Hey all!
I've been full-on CG for about two weeks now. Been co-washing and conditioning with VO5 and using some silicone-free gel when my hair is dripping wet.

Before I went CG, though, I'd been using Pantene Pro-V conditioner that had silicones, which I didn't realise until like a day ago when I decided to read the ingredients. So when I switched to CG, I went from sulfate shampoo/silicone conditioner/silicone-free product one day, to just silicone-free co-wash the next day, so I never used a sulfate product to wash out that Pantene conditioner.

I guess I was just wondering if any silicone from the last time I conditioned with the Pantene conditioner would still be sitting in my hair two weeks later, since I haven't used any shampoo in that time? I don't really want to have to wash with sulfates again to get rid of it :(

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    Welcome to CG! :) If you haven't used anything with a surfactant (like SLS) to remove the silicones, then they are still coating your hair. I would wash with a sulfate (since you already have it) to make sure everything is out. It shouldn't do much damage to your hair, and you could try doing a DT directly after to keep it moisturized. You could also try a low-poo (more gentle) with something like cocamidopropyl betaine in it to remove silicone build-up.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • abyssinianabyssinian Posts: 6Registered Users
    Welcome to CG! :) If you haven't used anything with a surfactant (like SLS) to remove the silicones, then they are still coating your hair. I would wash with a sulfate (since you already have it) to make sure everything is out. It shouldn't do much damage to your hair, and you could try doing a DT directly after to keep it moisturized. You could also try a low-poo (more gentle) with something like cocamidopropyl betaine in it to remove silicone build-up.
    Thanks! I probably will just wash with the old shampoo I already have.

Though I looked at the ingredients and realised it has sulfates AND dimethicone in it... is that okay? Will the sulfates wash out any silicones also in it?
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Nope the sulfates won't wash out the silicone in the shampoo. Rather than going out and buying another sulfate poo, I suggest doing a baking soda cleanse, followed by an apple cider vinegar rinse. I prefer adding 1 tablespoon of baking soda to my co-wash conditioner du jour, and just done a really thorough scalp massage; other people like to put the baking soda in water. My hair got plenty on it in the process. After rinsing that out very thoroughly, you'll need to reset the pH of your hair with an acidic rinse because the baking soda is very alkaline. Just add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a cup of water, and rinse you hair with that.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file