wait a second! (people who've had ultrasounds)

AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
When they do the first ultrasound at the end of the first trimester, it's INTERNAL? They put a wand up you (with a condom on it because they've used it on other people!!!!) and move it around inside you to find the baby? I thought they did an u/s from the OUTSIDE!!!! I was looking forward to seeing the baby (God willing, I get that far) and now it is creeping me out! Can I decline that?
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Comments

• loosecurlsloosecurls Posts: 637Registered Users
    The earliest U/S I had (out of the 10 I had during my preg) was at my 10 wk appt. I'd had terrible cramping on my left side & my OB wanted to make sure the baby had implanted properly. It was a transvaginal & trust me, the equipment is sterile.

The earliest standard U/S I had was at 11 wks when I was in the ER with severe cramping & bleeding. We feared the worst & the dr who saw me couldn't work the U/S machine well enough to do a transvaginal U/S. We still saw the little peanut kicking, waving, heart beating but he couldn't give us a heart rate.

You can decline any procedure you want---it's your body & your pregnancy. Discuss your concerns w/ your OB/midwife at your next appt.
    Slinky's rule for NC.com:

I suppose I can't judge you because you married a serviceman and it is wartime. Boo hoo. You must be loney sitting at home with nothing else to do but pick on people. Why don't you go masterbate again?
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    #1 - I had one at 6 weeks, then another at 10 and the more indepth one at 20 weeks. Also had one the AM of the c-section.

#2 - I had one at 11 or 12 weeks, can't remember...another at 14 or so, then the more indepth one at 20 weeks, one the AM of the c-section.

Yes, you can turn down any procedure you want. It's not any different than turning down a blood test or whatever.
    :rambo:
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Like the others said, you don't have to get it. Most moms only get one u/s and that is the one around mid-pregnancy. Some don't get any. Your decision.

I had one at 5 weeks 5 days and another at 6 weeks because I had spotting and cramping. Both of these were internal because the fetus is too small to be seen from the outside until later. It's honestly not that bad. Any creepy factor involved is mitigated by the coolness of seeing your babyblob. It might help to have a female ultrasound person.

My 18 week u/s was purely external.

My last one around 28 weeks was external and internal. They were worried about my cervical length and had to do the internal to measure it.

On a semi-related note, have you had an internal exam yet? The u/s is less invasive than that.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Amneris wrote:
    When they do the first ultrasound at the end of the first trimester, it's INTERNAL? They put a wand up you (with a condom on it because they've used it on other people!!!!) and move it around inside you to find the baby? I thought they did an u/s from the OUTSIDE!!!! I was looking forward to seeing the baby (God willing, I get that far) and now it is creeping me out! Can I decline that?

Yes. I never had an internal. My doc didn't even do an u/s till I was 20 weeks. I would've declined an internal, esp that early. Unless there is a problem, I don't see the point.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    Amneris wrote:

First of all--Amneris, you can always decline a medical procedure. Keep in mind that millions of women have had babies and never had an ultrasound. However, ultrasound can be a diagnostic tool if anything is wrong. It is your choice to make.

Early in pregnancy, when the fetus is still so small, it's easier for them to do the ultrasound internally. I know the idea of a vaginal ultrasound is unpleasant but in pregnancy, a lot is unpleasant and there will be new things in your vagina that you aren't used to and that seem scary(a baby, people's hands...). I guess you could think of it as practice for cervical checks :)
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    CGNYC wrote:
    Amneris wrote:

Yes. I never had an internal. My doc didn't even do an u/s till I was 20 weeks. I would've declined an internal, esp that early. Unless there is a problem, I don't see the point.

That's what my dr did with my first and that's what he's doing this time around to.

I would most likely declined an internal one to unless there was something wrong.

Most the moms I know didn't have an US until 20 weeks
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Never had a kid, but had numerous ultrasounds for fibroids and yep, it's internal and external. Worst thing about ultrasounds is the need for a full bladder and that "I gotta go now" feeling.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Never had a kid, but had numerous ultrasounds for fibroids and yep, it's internal and external. Worst thing about ultrasounds is the need for a full bladder and that "I gotta go now" feeling.

What's this about the full bladder? I never had to do that. I didn't have an u/s till (I think) 20 weeks, but I had probably ten in all (she was um, HUGE so it was hard to get a look at her lungs, and then she was breech, so I had three in the two days before she was born) and I never had to have a full bladder. Which is lucky because how miserable would THAT have been!
  • CGECGE Posts: 1,911Registered Users
    I think it depends on what they are looking at. When I had kidney stones I had to have my ultrasound on a full bladder.

HELL.PURE.HELL!!!
    I used to have a signature but it disappeared and I just couldn't be bothered writing another so please feel free to ingore this.
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had to drink 32 ounces of water two hours before my 20 week U/S's and could NOT go to the bathroom. Half way thru the u/s, they told me I could only release a certain amount, even gave me a cup and said to not fill it past a certain line.

Having a full bladder, having to go so bad you're going to s'plode, and then only being able to release SOME of it?! HELL, I tell ya. HELL. Not to mention some one pushing down on your stomach for 45 minutes with a u/s wand.
    :rambo:
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I hate to say this, but get used to the poking and prodding now. You absolutlely can refuse the early one, but it if can predict problems early on, why not? It less uncomfortable (IMO) than a PAP, which you will also likely have done sometime during your pregnancy.

They're not trying to hurt or offend you, but the US can help screen problems and make sure you're where you think you are. You're like to have one (or maybe two more) external ultrasounds as well, but the stages/developement of the fetus will be very different.

I just don't think about my modesty when it comes to things like this- the doctors and staff do procedures all day long and like I said, it's meant to help you have the best pregnancy and healthiest baby possible.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    i had the internal u/s done and it wasn't so bad at all. It just kind of looks like a stick with a ball on the end. they lube it up so it doesn't hurt or anything. I wasn't too sure about it either, but it wasn't bad at all. Waaaaaaaaay better feeling than a pap (which I think sting). It was sooooo worth it to see & hear the heartbeat and to have the first little picture! It was soooo cool! My husband stayed in there with me adn he was a little freaked out (his first "women doctor" appointment) next time he gets to witness an internal exam! :lol: I think he was freaked out b/c someone else was in that area and he didn't want them to hurt me! I just thought: A little wand going IN can't be as bad as a HUGE baby coming out (which is inevitable!) so I might as well go for it!
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    I never had an internal u/s.

#1- Unexplained bleeding at 12 weeks sent me to the ER where I got a catheder to fill up my bladder to do the u/s. Everything was fine, they don't know what the bleeding was. I had the standard 20 week u/s. Then another on delivery day that determined his breech position.

#2- Standard 20 week u/s. Then another at my last office visit that showed I basically had little to no amniotic fluid left so I had to have the baby that day.

I wish at my hospital they'd do the early ones just so I could see it and have a little picture to look at. Oh well, it's free so I can't complain.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I had 3 ultrasounds in the first trimester with Karan, and I've already decided never again - all of them needed to be done internally (external didn't give a good enough image). I will opt out of any ultrasounds until the 2nd trimester next time.

Between the full bladder (I think this is only necessary in the first trimester, or for non-pregnancy u/s because the bladder is in the way of the uterus) and the internal, I found it to be an unpleasant experience. I can't really explain it, even my 19-week one..... I know everyone else talks about "the big ultrasound" so fondly, but to me its just too unnatural.

My u/s were all because I was bleeding (which I did pretty much throughout the first trimester).
    I didn't have to have a full baldder. in fact, they had me pee before we went in the room. my friend had to have a full bladder lateron in her pregnancy for something though...

• fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had an internal once when I was not pg (checking for fibroids) and did not have to have a full bladder. I had to have my bladder full for the external portion, then they had me pee. It was not bad at all. DH was there and was a bit worried, but he got over it quickly.

My first u/s is scheduled for Wednesday. I'm assuming it is internal. On my sheet from the dr. it said they need your bladder full after 8 weeks of pregnancy. I will be 7 weeks, 3 days, so they crossed it off. I'm looking forward to seeing what the heck is in there. It will make me worry a tiny bit less.

Amneris, whatever you decide is fine. Do what is best for you!
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    It might depend on the practice. With my son, I had the earlier ones done transvaginally. But I've also had sonos done at 7w3d and 7w6d and both were external. The pictures weren't that great, so early in the pregnancy. I would prefer a transvaginal u/s, just to get a better picture.
    Amneris wrote:

What exactly is it that concerns you about it? It sounds as if it's the fact it's internal, correct? Haven't you had a pap before? I would think you should be trying to get over any issues with that stuff sooner rather than later, as at some point there will be tools as well as many hands up there when you deliver!!

I hate, hate, HATE paps, but I get *over* my issues for the 20 minutes I'm lying on the table because I know it's what needs to be done.

Maybe you can learn some sort of breathing techniques to get you through it. You know, kinda zone out?
    I used to have a signature but it disappeared and I just couldn't be bothered writing another so please feel free to ingore this.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    It is the internal issue. I only recently had a Pap, and it was a problem for me. I know I will need to get over it but it's a serious source of anxiety for me. I guess I need to discuss this at my first O/B.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I guess the difference is that you don't have to have an early u/s. Its a choice and most doctors present it that way. And most techs will ask whether you are comfortable with an internal, if not they will do their best externally. Same with internal exams during pregnancy and labour -they were always presented to me as options and in some cases I assented and most times I declined.

A lot of pre-natal care (or a healthy preganancy) is voodoo anyways - so ultimately you need to decide what aspects of care you will personally benefit from (like u/s, screenings etc...) and which you may end up just adding more stress upon you.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Well, I want to see the baby and hear the heartbeat, but I wanted it to be joyous and exciting, not stressful and uncomfortable. I thought it would be nice to do that before telling family.

My first official O/B will be when I am at (God willing) almost 10 1/2 weeks and the u/s will be scheduled after that, so not sure when. Is an 11 or 12 week u/s "early?" How far along do you have to be to get an external one?

.png

534Pm5.png

I guess I assumed you had been having paps for awhile since you were married.

I agree that a lot of the prenatal stuff can probably be avoided if uncomfortable, but at some point you are going to have a lot of hands in there. Especially if you happen to deliver at a teaching hospital. Your hooha will be on display for all.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Amneris wrote:
    It is the internal issue. I only recently had a Pap, and it was a problem for me. I know I will need to get over it but it's a serious source of anxiety for me. I guess I need to discuss this at my first O/B.

You could also opt for a midwife. They are less "invasive" than your average OB/GYN. I didn't get internal exams. Even at the end, they were very hands off and just went with the natural process of childbirth.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    CGE wrote:

I agree that a lot of the prenatal stuff can probably be avoided if uncomfortable, but at some point you are going to have a lot of hands in there. Especially if you happen to deliver at a teaching hospital. Your hooha will be on display for all.

So true...

I agree with Medussa, a midwife might be an option you should consider. Their model of care is much less invasive, more focused on how birth is a natural process and each woman's ability to birth her child.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • imagenimagen Posts: 343Registered Users
    Amneris, just in case you haven't seen one in person, this is the instrument they use to do a transvaginal ultrasound.

vag_scan_s.jpg

Of course you can decline any medical treatment your doctor suggests. Usually they don't even suggest an ultrasound besides the level 2 around 20 weeks, unless you are high risk, or are having problems. (Of course every doctor is different.)

I'm going to be honest with you, as a pregnant woman who has experienced the loss of a baby. If you have had a loss in the past as I understand you've had, if your doctor suggests an ultrasound to check for viability I would not decline, but that is just me. Of course it isn't the most comfortable thing, but it is much smaller than a penis, and even if it looks long they only insert it as far as it will comfortably go. Unlike a pap, where they insert a speculum to spread the vaginal walls so they can view the cervix and swipe for cells (which I think we all can agree is not pleasant for anyone, whether you've had 0 or 10 kids..) the probe is well lubricated and slides in kind of like a tampon. If you can insert a tampon or have sex, it shouldn't be too uncomfortable for you. Now, if it's the matter of it having been in other people before that makes you uncomfortable, that is something that noone can really help you with.

Like others have said, you will encounter alteast a small amount of violation while you are pregnant, even if you decline the optional procedures. I always thought of it this way, if it is the best thing for my baby, or will not endanger her or me and will be able to tell us if she is healthy or not, I'm all for it. I had an early untrasound because of my miscarriages, bloodwork and the AFP or triple screen test, which came back fine. I'm looking at the glucose test at my next apointment, which screens for gestational diabetes, and probably a strep B screening when I am very far along, both tests pose no harm to me or the baby. The only invasive tests that I would've been opposed to was an amnio, but there is no reason for me to have one. There is also the CVS test, which is slightly less invasive than the amnio, which was offered but I declined.

You are the best judge of what you will be comfortable with. But you may need to compromise at some point for the health and well being of your baby. If nothing else, the ultrasound will give you and your husband a great deal of comfort at this point when you see the heartbeat. You have to decide if it is worth it for you.
    .png

.png
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CGE wrote:

No kidding! Good thing I'm not an overly modest person. Not only is your doctor frequently up there, but when they do the Group B strep test, they swab inside your rectum! And when my Dr did it, she didn't warn me first. What a surprise that was!

And then you have nurses check you, and if it's a teaching hospital they may ask if someone else can stick their hand up there to see what the dialation feels like. Plus, they may have to break your water, and change the area as LOTS of blood and fluid will be coming out.

And if you have an epidural they will have to drain your bladder.

After you have a baby, you're not modest about much anymore.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
    babywavy wrote:
    Not only is your doctor frequently up there, but when they do the Group B strep test, they swab inside your rectum!

:shock: They do WHAT?!?!!? Nobody told me about this part! Mine is exit only....can I turn that procedure down?

I think I would actually like to be at a teaching hospital. Something about being apart of that sounds awesome to me!

A total guano, but at one of my doctor's visits to remove the staples after my reduction, he had a bunch of interns in the office. He's a teacher/professor/etc. as well as my surgeon. He asked if I minded them coming in and observing...I was like HECK NO!! I was so freakin' proud of my girls I would've let anyone take a gander!
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    shelli wrote:
    babywavy wrote:
    Not only is your doctor frequently up there, but when they do the Group B strep test, they swab inside your rectum!

:shock: They do WHAT?!?!!? Nobody told me about this part! Mine is exit only....can I turn that procedure down?

Don't turn it down but ask if you can do it yourself. I didn't have my Group B test until the day X was born but I had just read about other ladies doing it themselves. If you have to be violated, it's better to do it yourself.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • loosecurlsloosecurls Posts: 637Registered Users
    Shelli---If you're a carrier for Group B strep & you're not tested it can have serious health problems for the baby.
    Slinky's rule for NC.com:

I suppose I can't judge you because you married a serviceman and it is wartime. Boo hoo. You must be loney sitting at home with nothing else to do but pick on people. Why don't you go masterbate again?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file