Help me decide? (BB vs Coppola)

seratopsseratops Registered Users Posts: 2
I know there is a thread that compares the two treatments (Brazillian Blowout and Coppola) but I'm still struggling after reading through all of it!

I was born with naturally curly hair (which I suppose would be classified as 3b hair). My hair history is long - I'm 19 and started getting the Japanese straightening on my hair at age 12....did it every 6 months for 4 and a half years. At age 16, I left my hair to grow out for about a year and a half, then got it relaxed every four months at age 17. I did the relaxing 3 times. In the past 8 years, I have worn my hair curly a total of two times. I like it straight...pin straight. I've started coming around to having more body in it, but straight and mostly shiny is what holds most appeal to me.

In the past 12 months, I have done the Coppola Keratin treatment 3 times (every 3 months). I'm approaching the time where I need to have it done again. The process did wonders for my hair - I tell people it changed my life. Where it used to take my an hour and a half to blow dry and iron my hair, this process allowed me to spend 15 minutes blowing it dry and then be DONE....and with beautiful, shiny, straight results! I'm so happy with the product (my only complaint is how quickly it starts to wear out) I'm hesitant to switch. However, I've heard so many great things about the Brazillian Blowout that I'm tempted to try it! I can get it done for the same price I get my Keratin for, but my hairdresser is giving me no advice! She's telling me to try the BB and see what I think, but if I don't like it, a) I'll have wasted money and months of unhappiness with my hair when I know I could've instead done the Keratin and b) I'm worried after reading things on this site that the BB will somehow negatively impact my hair. It's taken me lots of money, time and care to get my hair back to a semi-healthy place after so many years of the Japanese so I'm leaning on the side of cautious - I want to do the healthier process...and the one that will give me the most duration and ideally shine, but I can't figure out which will do this for me!

Any opinions at ALL would be so greatly appreciated. No one in my life has curly hair so I've never had anyone to really talk to or get advice from.

(Also, random tip for anyone interested because I saw some questions about this elsewhere - I've been using the Pureology shampoo and conditioner almost solely since beginning my Keratin treatments and the difference I have seen is incredible. I've never tried Coppola but I did try another product (named something like Natural? I'm going to look up the name when I get home and update when I'm sure) and there was no comparison.)

Comments

• DimePiece17DimePiece17 Registered Users Posts: 521
    I haven't done either of these treatments, I did one called Donna Perla, which I think is made in Brazil, and the jury is still out on how I feel about it 100%, but I think you should stick to what you love. From what I understand, the Coopola makes your hair straighter because of the stronger chemicals, but again I'm no expert. I think you may want to review the ingredients in the products you are using. Perhaps you are washing your hair too frequently or using even conditioners that may have ingredients that are prematurely stripping your BKT.
    Beauty Tips for the Budgetista?
    Check me out on Youtube, Tumblr, FB, and Twitter!
    DimepieceonaDime-FB PAGE, Youtube Channel, and Tumblr
    Dimefabulous-Twitter name
    http://dimepieceonadime.tumblr.com/
  • seratopsseratops Registered Users Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response hairguru! I wash my hair every three days...sometimes I can manage to go longer. I know the less I wash it the longer it lasts but even going three days is hard for me.

As for the conditioner - I've never heard that a conditioner could strip before...I've only heard that of shampoos! What ingredients should I be looking out for in conditioners? I currently use Pureology (SuperStraight...the kind in the blue bottle) which was recommended to me by my stylist.
    But the conditioner that stripped mine was called SheaMoisture Deep Moisture Mask by Shea Moisture. It's supposed to be organic and it's sold at Target. Ingredient # 4 was Ammonium Salt. I never even thought to look at the ingredients in my conditioners.
  • LibertyBelleLibertyBelle Registered Users Posts: 2
    No comparison! The BB can indeed damage your hair and the difference in regrowth texture is obvious. The Coppola Keratin treatment, on the other hand, is the best thing I ever did for my hair. After getting it done twice over a year's time, I found a place to buy it online and my niece and I do it together (it helps to have another person when flat ironing the back unless you are Wonder Woman).
    Maybe I'll do my own at home next time. 300 bucks a pop is too much!
  • Laney1Laney1 Registered Users Posts: 308
    I had the BB (Brazilian Blowout) and it just basically conditioned my hair. It didn't straighten it, just less frizz, which is what I wanted. Read Michelle's (co founder of Naturally curly.com) blog on this website. She had it dones and I basically had the same results that she had. I really like it, but not as a straightener.

From my understanding the Coppola is a straightener.

Just an FYI.
    3B, with some 3C
  • BKTBKT Registered Users Posts: 13
    Hi, I work with Marcia Tixeira, mainly because her product changed my life.......she started this whole revolution in the hair industry in 2006, the first one to market her Brazilin Keratin Treatment not only in the USbut worldwie, it's manufactured in Orlando, FL. Her product is the best!! she formulated it for herself,her daughter and clients with difficult hair, she uses the best ingredients in the world, and is the only company with 3 different formulas......hair is left 100% frizz-free,shiny,healthy....I style my hair curly most of the time with a thick barrel curling iron...the curls stay until I shampoo my hair 3-4 days...I use NO styling products other than Marcia's Burity Serum, as a thermal protector and to add moisture....no gels, no hairspray....if I want to wear straight I let it air dry, no blowdryer,and go over it very lightly with a flat iron, just enough to activate the keratin and for "SUPER" shine. I'll post pictures later, I'm new to this......
    Which brand would you recommend for "afro" hair person who wants to keep the curl? I may want to do the one day advanced treatment, in about 5 months when mine washes out, but it doesn't seem like that one isn't recommended for for "ethnic hair." This 4 day wait thing aint for me, because I want to wear my hair curly most of the time. I only straighten for fancy occasions. So again, my question is, do women who have virgin kinky/afro hair, use the advance treatment with success? My aim is not to get straight hair, but to keep my curl with less frizz and less volume.

I currently have a BKT, but I wont be using my current brand/stylist in the future. I love my BKT, but next time I want to keep my of my curl.
  • carmelishacarmelisha Registered Users Posts: 1
    Hi I have been reading your post and I want to wear my hair wash and go too. I'm 4c hair type and I put soft liss on myself but I can't stand the fumes. It did loosen my curl to like 3c but my question to is how often do hyou bkt and what product to use for wash and go.
  • SarabiSarabi Registered Users Posts: 3
    Hairguru,

I have had poor results w/ the Shea Moisture Deep Conditioning Masque also. Left my hair ratty & hard. I'm glad someone else has discovered the culprit & posted on this!

Thx!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file