Need an Opinion.

taraleightaraleigh Registered Users Posts: 31
Hi everyone -

I've been relaxing my hair for several years now, and although I know it isn't very good on my hair, the reason that I do it is because it gives my hair length and also makes it more manageable. I've kept my hair pretty short for the past few years and when the natural growth comes in it is very coarse and kinky, and doesn't weigh itself down enough to make my hair look longer. Therefore, I relax it. It makes it easier to work with and comb, and it relaxes my curls without diminishing them. I don't straighten my hair once I relax it; After I relax it I style and condition it very well and wear it curly. I only relax it once every four or five months, also. My question is, how harmful is my particular process? Does anyone else do this? Is there any advice out there that I can get concerning this process?

Comments

• taraleightaraleigh Registered Users Posts: 31
    42 views, no replies?
  • lovelovelovelovelovelove Registered Users Posts: 257
    Oh god,no replies?! Maybe you should move it to the General Discussions on Curly Hair... Anyways, here's my input.
    As you'll learn by surfing this site, relaxing is EXTREMELY DAMAGING! Even if you do it every 5 months, your hair is still unhealthy! You probably don't realize this since your hair isn't at its natural texture. Unfortunately, I'm not as experienced as others are in relaxers and its effects, so I reccomend you just cruise around Curltalk and learn a bit. Maybe even transition eventually! Good luck!:)
    Ca m'a fait de la pé-peine!:love7:
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Registered Users Posts: 9,596
    You relax it yourself?

Um...I don't know what to say, I don't do that, I did have a relaxer in high school but I always wore it straight because of it.

You do know a relaxer is bad for you, I'm sure, but if you feel your hair is healthy keep doing what you want. I would probably stop doing that and do the Keratin treatment instead.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • taraleightaraleigh Registered Users Posts: 31
    I'm thinking now that I will relax it. I can't find answers or support with keeping my hair healthy naturally. I don't know how to control my hair and keep it consistent. It's SO frustrating. I don't have the money to spend on expensive products and treatments and...ARGH! I don't know what to do!
  • taltaltaltal Registered Users Posts: 614
    Taraleigh, I replied to your thread on the 3c board.
    Here's the link.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?p=1383649#post1383649

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask me questions if you have any.

taraleigh wrote: »
    I'm thinking now that I will relax it. I can't find answers or support with keeping my hair healthy naturally. I don't know how to control my hair and keep it consistent. It's SO frustrating. I don't have the money to spend on expensive products and treatments and...ARGH! I don't know what to do!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file