First time coloring hair with questions!

dominicanadominicana Registered Users Posts: 239
Hi ladies,

I've been cg for one year and I have shoulder length, coarse hair with the bottom half high porosity from heat and manipulation damage. I want to color my hair for the first time in my life! :) I have decided the safest thing for me is to go to an Aveda salon. I have dark brown/black hair and want soft brown, caramel highlights, nothing too drastic. I would like to know what steps I should take to protect my hair before and after? I do heavy duty protein treatment on my higher porous ends once every 2-3 months and dc twice a month. How should I modify this to maintain my healthy hair that is growing in?

Thanks!!
D
Lady Valeria of the Isle of Neraida in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Central Florida Curly
CG since May 5, 2009
Hair Type: 3cCiii coarse\porous
Conditioners: Bioinfusion HCB, CJCR, SpiralSolutions DDMT, BellaCurl MC, BellaCurl LE, KCKT, YesToCucumbers
Stylers: CJ CCCC, FSG, KCCC, SpiralSolutions CEJ

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I think what you're doing sounds perfect but perhaps increase the protein treatments a little because color knocks out the protein in your hair. Good luck with the highlights! (If that's you in the avatar, you're gorgeous.)
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • dominicanadominicana Registered Users Posts: 239
    Thanks CurlyPearl, yup that's me in the avatar!! I haven't taken the big step yet. I'm going to call Struttswife and see if she can fit me in. I trust her way more than the Aveda Salon. Will update if she can squeeze me in!

I'll definitely up the protein treatments. My biggest concern is I have some ends that are wavy instead of curly(damaged) Do you think putting color on them will make them go straight. I need to remember to ask Tiffany that too!

Thanks!
    D
    Lady Valeria of the Isle of Neraida in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Central Florida Curly
    CG since May 5, 2009
    Hair Type: 3cCiii coarse\porous
    Conditioners: Bioinfusion HCB, CJCR, SpiralSolutions DDMT, BellaCurl MC, BellaCurl LE, KCKT, YesToCucumbers
    Stylers: CJ CCCC, FSG, KCCC, SpiralSolutions CEJ

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file