CurlTalk

Leave-In + Moisturizer + Styler....Are We Over This?

EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users
When I first joined NC, I saw a lot of posts with ladies leaving in a conditioner, then using a moisturizer (like AV Cocolatte or something), then applying gel or a styler. However, this felt like too many products for me, and I often had white head. I stopped using the extra moisture and was sure to stick to stylers that were moisturizing for me (ie, Califia Styling Pudding instead of Ecostyler) and use a good leave-in. If needed, I'd apply a bit of a moisturizer on top of my gel.

Recently, I've seen a lot of posts from ladies using the moisturizer as their leave-in (Cocolatte, BRBC, etc), the putting a gel on top of that. So what's up ladies? Are we over the 1-2-3 punch, or is this more of a seasonal thing? Just wondering, this is my first summer being fully natural (**raises roof**) and I know some change their routines up.
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube
Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
«1

Comments

  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users
    ellepixie wrote: »
    When I first joined NC, I saw a lot of posts with ladies leaving in a conditioner, then using a moisturizer (like AV Cocolatte or something), then applying gel or a styler. However, this felt like too many products for me, and I often had white head. I stopped using the extra moisture and was sure to stick to stylers that were moisturizing for me (ie, Califia Styling Pudding instead of Ecostyler) and use a good leave-in. If needed, I'd apply a bit of a moisturizer on top of my gel.

    Recently, I've seen a lot of posts from ladies using the moisturizer as their leave-in (Cocolatte, BRBC, etc), the putting a gel on top of that. So what's up ladies? Are we over the 1-2-3 punch, or is this more of a seasonal thing? Just wondering, this is my first summer being fully natural (**raises roof**) and I know some change their routines up.

    All of these products these days have a mixture of conditioning and moisturizing (sealing) elements that you don't have to use as many products if you don't want. I find that my coilier and highly textured curly counterparts can get away with less product than I can because I need different elements to maintain definition and shape (moreso in my 3a/3b areas towards the front than 3c underneath). I'm not sure about in this particular room, but in NC.com at large the foundation remains:

    LI, curl enhancer or moisturizer, +/-gel, +/- additional frizz protective serum.

    Most of the products out are curl enhancers with gel type hold in one and others aren't and you have to layer. Some ladies with major frizz issues may need a tad more. Personally, there are few times I can use 1-2 things and get great hair. I need 3 products 8 times out of 10. Part of me being a PJ is constantly testing stuff to minimize this routine. Not that I don't like having all these 3 formula avenues, but if I could have more options of streamlining I def will.
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

    Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

    HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    a moisturizer is a leave-in no (especially if your moisturizer has a conditioning emulsifier--e.g QB, AV)? basically, those who are using a moisturizer as a leave-in then gel, are simply just moisturizing then gelling without the extra leave-in conditioner (or leaving in a regular conditioner)

    I don't use stylers so...

    personally for me, I use a leave in (QB detangling ghee) and then airdry in large twists, then I moisturize and twist up in smaller sections for a twist out the next day or leave the twists in for the week
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    I am in agreement with Naturalista. I have, of late, been sticking to the 1-2-3 punch of leave in, moisturizer or oil, and styler. Summer weather has been showing up early in SoCal, and I am finding I need to do all three steps to stay moisturized, regardless of what the products are. I have just been having better hair days like that for the past couple of months. Whenever I skimp on the steps I do not get second-day hair. Plus I swear my hair leeches all the moisture from my scalp 'cause my scalp has been itching like crazy unless I give it some oil in the morning (I have been using that before my styler for the past two weeks).
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users
    I use a leave in ,geared for a leave in and then depending on how the product works an oil, then the gel.

    sometimes I use a conditioner as the leave in , then the gel and then seal with oil , if I know the gel is known to dry hard.


    I never just use the moisturizer as my leave in because my hair is uber dense and needs all the moisture it can get.

    My hair never feels weighed down with product because I dont use a lot out of the three products ( leave-in, oil, and styler)
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users
    i still do the 1-2-3 punch! i haven't had any problems and want to ensure my hair stays properly moisturized to avoid problems. the only thing that changed for me was during the winter (very cold months), i needed extra moisturizing. my 2oz sample of miss jessies baby buttercream moisturized a lot better than any of my staples. this is when i learned that mineral oil/petrolatum was not my enemy as a natural haired woman. :)
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

    faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users
    coilynapp wrote: »
    a moisturizer is a leave-in no (especially if your moisturizer has a conditioning emulsifier--e.g QB, AV)? basically, those who are using a moisturizer as a leave-in then gel, are simply just moisturizing then gelling without the extra leave-in conditioner (or leaving in a regular conditioner)

    I don't use stylers so...

    personally for me, I use a leave in (QB detangling ghee) and then airdry in large twists, then I moisturize and twist up in smaller sections for a twist out the next day or leave the twists in for the week

    Right, the bolded is what I meant - when I first got on here it seems that more people found the extra leave-in to be required, but now I've seen more people either skipping the condish or moisturizer. For instance, using a condish/oil, then gel.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users
    Well I can use a condish and oil and have a rocking wash and go, moisturized , soft and defined. However I wont make it to 2-3-4-5-6 day hair because its too soft and I sleep wild.

    I use the leave in , oil , and gel to maintain my hair and not touch it every day.

    If I wanted to wash everyday ( cowash), I could get away with conditioner and oil only
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users
    Well I can use a condish and oil and have a rocking wash and go, moisturized , soft and defined. However I wont make it to 2-3-4-5-6 day hair because its too soft and I sleep wild.

    I use the leave in , oil , and gel to maintain my hair and not touch it every day.

    If I wanted to wash everyday ( cowash), I could get away with conditioner and oil only

    Awesome point that I had not thought of. I cowash daily so I don't have the problem of retaining moisture for 4-6 days to preserve a style.

    Thanks for the input everyone, I know I'm a weirdo but I love pondering stuff like this!
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    ellepixie wrote: »
    Awesome point that I had not thought of. I cowash daily so I don't have the problem of retaining moisture for 4-6 days to preserve a style.

    Thanks for the input everyone, I know I'm a weirdo but I love pondering stuff like this!
    Question: do you plan to continue daily cowashing as you grow your hair out or is this a temporary situation post-bc?
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users
    ellepixie wrote: »
    Well I can use a condish and oil and have a rocking wash and go, moisturized , soft and defined. However I wont make it to 2-3-4-5-6 day hair because its too soft and I sleep wild.

    I use the leave in , oil , and gel to maintain my hair and not touch it every day.

    If I wanted to wash everyday ( cowash), I could get away with conditioner and oil only

    Awesome point that I had not thought of. I cowash daily so I don't have the problem of retaining moisture for 4-6 days to preserve a style.

    Thanks for the input everyone, I know I'm a weirdo but I love pondering stuff like this!

    I cowash/waterwash every 2-3 days depending on the product combo I use but if I want definition I definitely can't just condition and moisturize. I figured out if I leave the gel out, I fro and I'm loosely defined. In the winter(dry) months I'm more obsessed with moisturizers like butters and milks because if I'm not sealed all the conditioning will be in vain and I'll dry out.

    and you're not a weirdo Elle.. LOL!!:toothy3:
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

    Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

    HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users
    sagehen wrote: »
    ellepixie wrote: »
    Awesome point that I had not thought of. I cowash daily so I don't have the problem of retaining moisture for 4-6 days to preserve a style.

    Thanks for the input everyone, I know I'm a weirdo but I love pondering stuff like this!
    Question: do you plan to continue daily cowashing as you grow your hair out or is this a temporary situation post-bc?

    It depends - right now it's no problem b/c I work from home and usually cowash in the morning, so by the time I get off work my hair is semi-dry. But if it becomes too difficult I'm going to have to try refreshing with my spray bottle, which also works for me.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    ellepixie wrote: »
    sagehen wrote: »
    ellepixie wrote: »
    Awesome point that I had not thought of. I cowash daily so I don't have the problem of retaining moisture for 4-6 days to preserve a style.

    Thanks for the input everyone, I know I'm a weirdo but I love pondering stuff like this!
    Question: do you plan to continue daily cowashing as you grow your hair out or is this a temporary situation post-bc?

    It depends - right now it's no problem b/c I work from home and usually cowash in the morning, so by the time I get off work my hair is semi-dry. But if it becomes too difficult I'm going to have to try refreshing with my spray bottle, which also works for me.

    OK next time I will finish my thought before I press submit: sorry. I meant do you still plan to cowash as it grows, but I meant in the near future, because I was wondering if you find it difficult at present to keep moisture. My wash and goes have only been lasting 2-3 days lately and I am pondering cowashing myself.
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • afrikurlafrikurl Posts: 736Registered Users
    I am over it because my hair would be white and wet for ever. DH started to complain about conditioner in my hair and wash n goes (He actually called it that) I prefer dry styling. It results in softer, more stretched hair. I have less knots and tangles. When I need to wash n go I leave in a small amount of conditioner followed by castor oil or my moisturizer and castor oil. I have less definition but who cares. I only gel the front of my hair to smoothe it down.
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users
    sagehen wrote: »
    ellepixie wrote: »
    sagehen wrote: »
    Question: do you plan to continue daily cowashing as you grow your hair out or is this a temporary situation post-bc?

    It depends - right now it's no problem b/c I work from home and usually cowash in the morning, so by the time I get off work my hair is semi-dry. But if it becomes too difficult I'm going to have to try refreshing with my spray bottle, which also works for me.

    OK next time I will finish my thought before I press submit: sorry. I meant do you still plan to cowash as it grows, but I meant in the near future, because I was wondering if you find it difficult at present to keep moisture. My wash and goes have only been lasting 2-3 days lately and I am pondering cowashing myself.

    Ohhh! :) I have not had any problems retaining moisture, but like cowashing daily; I just like fresh hair. Is there a reason why you don't cowash daily? Honestly I have so many products that if I didn't use them daily I think they would all go bad, lol!
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users
    ellepixie wrote: »

    Ohhh! :) I have not had any problems retaining moisture, but like cowashing daily; I just like fresh hair. Is there a reason why you don't cowash daily? Honestly I have so many products that if I didn't use them daily I think they would all go bad, lol!

    I just wanted to say GOD BLESS YOU for cowashing daily b/c after doing that for 3 months I simply burned out. Even after I went short the length was less but the overall volume of my hair was unchanged and having to wet, section, mini section and then smooth product onto each piece ... are you tired reading this yet?? LOL!! :arrow:

    Umm yeah so every 2-3 days now unless something batty happens or a new product comes in I leave my hair be. Wish I could go LONGER...
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

    Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

    HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users
    ellepixie wrote: »

    Ohhh! :) I have not had any problems retaining moisture, but like cowashing daily; I just like fresh hair. Is there a reason why you don't cowash daily? Honestly I have so many products that if I didn't use them daily I think they would all go bad, lol!

    I just wanted to say GOD BLESS YOU for cowashing daily b/c after doing that for 3 months I simply burned out. Even after I went short the length was less but the overall volume of my hair was unchanged and having to wet, section, mini section and then smooth product onto each piece ... are you tired reading this yet?? LOL!! :arrow:

    Umm yeah so every 2-3 days now unless something batty happens or a new product comes in I leave my hair be. Wish I could go LONGER...

    Wait, lol, maybe I'm not doing it right?! All I do is wet my hair in the shower, saturate with condish, massage/scrub scalp, smooth to ends, and detangle w/ my fingers. That's why I'm afraid I won't be able to do it as my hair gets longer b/c detangling will be more difficult. But! I find that if I cowash daily my hair is less tangled so it's easier. I went a few days without detangling before and that was not the business...
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users
    ellepixie wrote: »
    ellepixie wrote: »

    Ohhh! :) I have not had any problems retaining moisture, but like cowashing daily; I just like fresh hair. Is there a reason why you don't cowash daily? Honestly I have so many products that if I didn't use them daily I think they would all go bad, lol!

    I just wanted to say GOD BLESS YOU for cowashing daily b/c after doing that for 3 months I simply burned out. Even after I went short the length was less but the overall volume of my hair was unchanged and having to wet, section, mini section and then smooth product onto each piece ... are you tired reading this yet?? LOL!! :arrow:

    Umm yeah so every 2-3 days now unless something batty happens or a new product comes in I leave my hair be. Wish I could go LONGER...

    Wait, lol, maybe I'm not doing it right?! All I do is wet my hair in the shower, saturate with condish, massage/scrub scalp, smooth to ends, and detangle w/ my fingers. That's why I'm afraid I won't be able to do it as my hair gets longer b/c detangling will be more difficult. But! I find that if I cowash daily my hair is less tangled so it's easier. I went a few days without detangling before and that was not the business...

    I just watched your latest vid and LOVED it!! ROTFL@ "Izzy likes it rough" Hehehe!!! Go IZZ!:blob2:

    Its funny that you say that you're wondering how you'll deal with length because I was wondering the EXACT same thing as you were styling Izzy because you have thick hair as well, but because its short you can cover what needs to be covered without worrying that it will be an uneven distribution.

    There is no right or wrong way to do it persay.. like for me I:

    Wet my hair and either waterwash and RO/detangle or cowash/detangle. I can't detangle with fingers. I must use a wide tooth comb or a denman. My hair laughs at my fingers. LOL!!

    I then section my detangled hair into 4 and in parts address each section with LI/curl enhancer/gel in mini parts just like the lady used to do when we were getting relaxers and go through the whole head. Tedious yes.. but I've had consistent results everytime. Plus if I do a section and it looks triflin I know right away the combo isn't going to work so I reroute.

    I've starting keeping a hair journal where I type the dewpoint and what worked/didnt work so I dont make the same mistakes (and also recall the victories) so I guess its not all in vain..

    I've done Teri's method with stylers and that was ok.. I've done KabrinaM's method and I liked that one alot as it cuts down on my time a tad so I've been doing that lately. Covers more hair quickly.
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

    Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

    HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users

    I just watched your latest vid and LOVED it!! ROTFL@ "Izzy likes it rough" Hehehe!!! Go IZZ!:blob2:

    Its funny that you say that you're wondering how you'll deal with length because I was wondering the EXACT same thing as you were styling Izzy because you have thick hair as well, but because its short you can cover what needs to be covered without worrying that it will be an uneven distribution.

    There is no right or wrong way to do it persay.. like for me I:

    Wet my hair and either waterwash and RO/detangle or cowash/detangle. I can't detangle with fingers. I must use a wide tooth comb or a denman. My hair laughs at my fingers. LOL!!

    I then section my detangled hair into 4 and in parts address each section with LI/curl enhancer/gel in mini parts just like the lady used to do when we were getting relaxers and go through the whole head. Tedious yes.. but I've had consistent results everytime. Plus if I do a section and it looks triflin I know right away the combo isn't going to work so I reroute.

    I've starting keeping a hair journal where I type the dewpoint and what worked/didnt work so I dont make the same mistakes (and also recall the victories) so I guess its not all in vain..

    I've dont Teri's method with stylers and that was ok.. I've done KabrinaM's method and I liked that one alot as it cuts down on my time a tad so I've been doing that lately. Covers more hair quickly.

    THANKS!!! That video is sooooo funny to me b/c my bf watched it was like ummmm who's going to like this besides me? And I was like I dunno, they asked for it!

    Your journal about the dew point is an awesome idea! I need to get on that - I've started writing down the combos I've used when I really love my hair so I have a quick ref guide when I'm in a hurry.

    Speaking of dew points...what's the optimal range for glycerin? I know I saw it somewhere but I forget what it was...asking because the dew points have gone up a little here (they're in the 50s now I think) and I was thinking of buying a bottle of veggie glycerin to test out. I have some products with glycerin that are currently not freaking my hair out so maybe it's the season change. And if I buy veg glycerin and hate it I can always cook with it!
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • whitechocolate629whitechocolate629 Posts: 46Registered Users
    Shrunken or stretched? I've noticed that I'm able to achieve moisture & decent definition without having to use the leave-in/moisturizer/styler method for wng's. BUT, definitely NOT the case when doing braid/twistouts which is why daily/frequent cowashing is my goto situation. At the same time, I like those styles and I'm determined to figure out what works.

    The other day I used afroveda cocolatte as a leave-in & followed with pur whipped gelly and had a fab wng, and even got great 2nd day hair! Tried doing the same thing for a braid out and not even close to the same results. So, I know I need to amp it up. I'm still learning & trying to figure out the right 1-2-3 punch combo for stretched styles...It sure would be nice if we didn't have to use so many things to have moisturized hair!
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    ellepixie wrote: »
    sagehen wrote: »

    OK next time I will finish my thought before I press submit: sorry. I meant do you still plan to cowash as it grows, but I meant in the near future, because I was wondering if you find it difficult at present to keep moisture. My wash and goes have only been lasting 2-3 days lately and I am pondering cowashing myself.

    Ohhh! :) I have not had any problems retaining moisture, but like cowashing daily; I just like fresh hair. Is there a reason why you don't cowash daily? Honestly I have so many products that if I didn't use them daily I think they would all go bad, lol!
    LMAO - funny you mentioned that. My pj issue is precisely why I am thinking about cowashing daily. I hate to walk by and see unused product on a shelf. Plus I am thinking that maybe I will do wash and goes daily this summer, just to remoisturize each day. The only reason I have stopped cowashing daily is because I have stopped exercising daily. That is bad, I know. I like fresh hair but when I was working out daily it was even more incentive to wash.
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users
    ellepixie wrote: »

    I just watched your latest vid and LOVED it!! ROTFL@ "Izzy likes it rough" Hehehe!!! Go IZZ!:blob2:

    Its funny that you say that you're wondering how you'll deal with length because I was wondering the EXACT same thing as you were styling Izzy because you have thick hair as well, but because its short you can cover what needs to be covered without worrying that it will be an uneven distribution.

    There is no right or wrong way to do it persay.. like for me I:

    Wet my hair and either waterwash and RO/detangle or cowash/detangle. I can't detangle with fingers. I must use a wide tooth comb or a denman. My hair laughs at my fingers. LOL!!

    I then section my detangled hair into 4 and in parts address each section with LI/curl enhancer/gel in mini parts just like the lady used to do when we were getting relaxers and go through the whole head. Tedious yes.. but I've had consistent results everytime. Plus if I do a section and it looks triflin I know right away the combo isn't going to work so I reroute.

    I've starting keeping a hair journal where I type the dewpoint and what worked/didnt work so I dont make the same mistakes (and also recall the victories) so I guess its not all in vain..

    I've done Teri's method with stylers and that was ok.. I've done KabrinaM's method and I liked that one alot as it cuts down on my time a tad so I've been doing that lately. Covers more hair quickly.

    THANKS!!! That video is sooooo funny to me b/c my bf watched it was like ummmm who's going to like this besides me? And I was like I dunno, they asked for it!

    Your journal about the dew point is an awesome idea! I need to get on that - I've started writing down the combos I've used when I really love my hair so I have a quick ref guide when I'm in a hurry.

    Speaking of dew points...what's the optimal range for glycerin? I know I saw it somewhere but I forget what it was...asking because the dew points have gone up a little here (they're in the 50s now I think) and I was thinking of buying a bottle of veggie glycerin to test out. I have some products with glycerin that are currently not freaking my hair out so maybe it's the season change. And if I buy veg glycerin and hate it I can always cook with it!

    LOL@ your BF. Mine has been trying to get me to start posting on YT/ vid blogging but I'm like "nah.. I don't have time". He wants to be my videographer. LOLOL!! Crazy man..I'm just a ReconGirl who likes to surf and learn. YT hair and MUA vids are my treats! :)

    I would say humectants like glycerin are ideal @ dews btwn 35-50. Below 35 it'll do what you hate, and above 50 it could make the hair swell and poof. Gel is soooo key in higher dews IMO.
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

    Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

    HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users
    ellepixie wrote: »

    I just watched your latest vid and LOVED it!! ROTFL@ "Izzy likes it rough" Hehehe!!! Go IZZ!:blob2:

    Its funny that you say that you're wondering how you'll deal with length because I was wondering the EXACT same thing as you were styling Izzy because you have thick hair as well, but because its short you can cover what needs to be covered without worrying that it will be an uneven distribution.

    There is no right or wrong way to do it persay.. like for me I:

    Wet my hair and either waterwash and RO/detangle or cowash/detangle. I can't detangle with fingers. I must use a wide tooth comb or a denman. My hair laughs at my fingers. LOL!!

    I then section my detangled hair into 4 and in parts address each section with LI/curl enhancer/gel in mini parts just like the lady used to do when we were getting relaxers and go through the whole head. Tedious yes.. but I've had consistent results everytime. Plus if I do a section and it looks triflin I know right away the combo isn't going to work so I reroute.

    I've starting keeping a hair journal where I type the dewpoint and what worked/didnt work so I dont make the same mistakes (and also recall the victories) so I guess its not all in vain..

    I've done Teri's method with stylers and that was ok.. I've done KabrinaM's method and I liked that one alot as it cuts down on my time a tad so I've been doing that lately. Covers more hair quickly.

    THANKS!!! That video is sooooo funny to me b/c my bf watched it was like ummmm who's going to like this besides me? And I was like I dunno, they asked for it!

    Your journal about the dew point is an awesome idea! I need to get on that - I've started writing down the combos I've used when I really love my hair so I have a quick ref guide when I'm in a hurry.

    Speaking of dew points...what's the optimal range for glycerin? I know I saw it somewhere but I forget what it was...asking because the dew points have gone up a little here (they're in the 50s now I think) and I was thinking of buying a bottle of veggie glycerin to test out. I have some products with glycerin that are currently not freaking my hair out so maybe it's the season change. And if I buy veg glycerin and hate it I can always cook with it!

    LOL@ your BF. Mine has been trying to get me to start posting on YT/ vid blogging but I'm like "nah.. I don't have time". He wants to be my videographer. LOLOL!! Crazy man..I'm just a ReconGirl who likes to surf and learn. YT hair and MUA vids are my treats! :)

    I would say humectants like glycerin are ideal @ dews btwn 35-50. Below 35 it'll do what you hate, and above 50 it could make the hair swell and poof. Gel is soooo key in higher dews IMO.

    Hmmm okay, I'm gonna do an experiment then, because it was horrible on my hair with dew points in the 40s. So maybe it reacts a little differently and will be better at a dew point a little higher? Also, I feel like it's so weird that the dew point is in the 50s when it's not humid in SoCal at all???
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    I don't do anything else; always a conditioner/leave-in, oil or butter on my ends, and a gel or a cream with hold.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

    Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users
    ellepixie wrote: »
    ellepixie wrote: »

    THANKS!!! That video is sooooo funny to me b/c my bf watched it was like ummmm who's going to like this besides me? And I was like I dunno, they asked for it!

    Your journal about the dew point is an awesome idea! I need to get on that - I've started writing down the combos I've used when I really love my hair so I have a quick ref guide when I'm in a hurry.

    Speaking of dew points...what's the optimal range for glycerin? I know I saw it somewhere but I forget what it was...asking because the dew points have gone up a little here (they're in the 50s now I think) and I was thinking of buying a bottle of veggie glycerin to test out. I have some products with glycerin that are currently not freaking my hair out so maybe it's the season change. And if I buy veg glycerin and hate it I can always cook with it!

    LOL@ your BF. Mine has been trying to get me to start posting on YT/ vid blogging but I'm like "nah.. I don't have time". He wants to be my videographer. LOLOL!! Crazy man..I'm just a ReconGirl who likes to surf and learn. YT hair and MUA vids are my treats! :)

    I would say humectants like glycerin are ideal @ dews btwn 35-50. Below 35 it'll do what you hate, and above 50 it could make the hair swell and poof. Gel is soooo key in higher dews IMO.

    Hmmm okay, I'm gonna do an experiment then, because it was horrible on my hair with dew points in the 40s. So maybe it reacts a little differently and will be better at a dew point a little higher? Also, I feel like it's so weird that the dew point is in the 50s when it's not humid in SoCal at all???

    Well 50's you won't feel humidity necessarily, its when the dew gets 60+ it's just gross and ya know it.

    Products work differently on diff heads, perhaps Izzy likes glycerin when the dews are 50 or >. Hair is a funny thing I'm learning..
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

    Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

    HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • cassadie3cassadie3 Posts: 506Registered Users
    I think I'm over the 1-2-3 punch too! I definitely stopped sealing months ago because it was just leaving me greasy headed (low porosity), but I find that if I moisturize daily with a *really* good moisturizer then my hair retains moisture.

    I've been keen on products that are a 2-in-1 leavein/moisturizer + styler--- like the Blended Cuties Down and Out Styles. works like a dream and because its a styler, I can get 5 day+ super cute hair out of it!
    :::::::joie de vivre:::::::
    last relaxer: November 2008
    big chop: November 2009
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    4a, fine, dense, teeny weeny coils with low porosity

  • maysaymaysay Posts: 218Registered Users
    I've never been into that. The most I'll do is a moisturizer (or a leave-in, they're interchangeable to me) and a sealer. And I like it best when I can use one product and it does everything, like when I just leave conditioner in.

  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users

    Well 50's you won't feel humidity necessarily, its when the dew gets 60+ it's just gross and ya know it.

    Products work differently on diff heads, perhaps Izzy likes glycerin when the dews are 50 or >. Hair is a funny thing I'm learning..

    It even feels dry here though, it's so crazy - when it's colder like all the moisture gets sucked out my fingertips and I have prune hands! The dew today is 58...WHERE?! This place is nuts...I just bought some glycerin and am going to try it out tomorrow, googling recipes tonight.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • whitechocolate629whitechocolate629 Posts: 46Registered Users
    cassadie3 wrote: »
    I think I'm over the 1-2-3 punch too! I definitely stopped sealing months ago because it was just leaving me greasy headed (low porosity), but I find that if I moisturize daily with a *really* good moisturizer then my hair retains moisture.

    I've been keen on products that are a 2-in-1 leavein/moisturizer + styler--- like the Blended Cuties Down and Out Styles. works like a dream and because its a styler, I can get 5 day+ super cute hair out of it!

    Have you tried this with stretched styles? I'd love to find something that works like you mention w/out having to layer; a really good moisturizer & styler combined! One has to exist. I remember when I first bc'd I tried the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Blended-Beauty-Happy-Nappy-Styles-p-533.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=blended-beauty-happy-nappy-styles]happy nappy styles[/buylink] and got great moisture but didn't like the shrinkage that came along with it at that length.
  • cassadie3cassadie3 Posts: 506Registered Users
    cassadie3 wrote: »
    I think I'm over the 1-2-3 punch too! I definitely stopped sealing months ago because it was just leaving me greasy headed (low porosity), but I find that if I moisturize daily with a *really* good moisturizer then my hair retains moisture.

    I've been keen on products that are a 2-in-1 leavein/moisturizer + styler--- like the Blended Cuties Down and Out Styles. works like a dream and because its a styler, I can get 5 day+ super cute hair out of it!


    Have you tried this with stretched styles? I'd love to find something that works like you mention w/out having to layer; a really good moisturizer & styler combined! One has to exist. I remember when I first bc'd I tried the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Blended-Beauty-Happy-Nappy-Styles-p-533.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=blended-beauty-happy-nappy-styles]happy nappy styles[/buylink] and got great moisture but didn't like the shrinkage that came along with it at that length.

    ive stretched in two ways with this stuff. the first is with twist out on wet hair which gave me phenomenal twists that really held well. I've also blowdried at the roots to get a stretched look after shingling in this product, which also turned out well.
    :::::::joie de vivre:::::::
    last relaxer: November 2008
    big chop: November 2009
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    4a, fine, dense, teeny weeny coils with low porosity

  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    my moisturizer is my leave in. the only way i dont use a styler is if im putting in braids or twists. wash and goes must have a styler on top.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
«1