so? how are the boobies?

itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Posts: 652Registered Users
i love that they have a whole section for mommies and mommies to be now! so good!
i just wanted to check in and see how everybody is doing? how's the breastfeeding crew? owen's 9 months old today. so hard to believe! he's getting SO big so fast!
he still loves the boobies. nurses like a pro. he's got 6 teeth now, though, so i do get nipped occasionally. i have done the thing where you pull them onto the breast to get them to release it, and for some reason, he thinks that it's hilarious. so it's getting frustrating. i've tried saying "NO" and being loud in his face. he thinks that is funny too....
so mommy's boobies have been quite sore lately. yeouch.
any other suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!!!

oh, i got an avent isis for my sick day pump because i leave my PIS at work. and i have to say, i love that thing! it works wonderfully! if my PIS died, i'd probably just buy another one of these, and use it exclusively. so, i guess i'm saying, i don't think the $200+ pump is always necessary.
3A Once again on the quest for BSL healthy curly hair....

Comments

• marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    oh your poor boobs LOL. Yeah with Ian I kept trying to nurse him and every which way to get him not to bite. Then I realized that at 20lbs and 6 months old he was not going to starve so I'd let him nurse if he was truly going to nurse. If I saw him get distracted and not nursing I'd pull him off as a preemtive measure.

Now with Ryan I do the same thing. He's now 10 months old (soon to be 11 months) and still nursing a bunch as well as eating off my plate at each meal. We had his iron levels tested at his 9 month appointment and they're great so no anemia concerns or needs for supplements. I loved my Isis pump too and saw that they've released an electronic version of that pump too although I prefer having the hand control and adjustability of the isis.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I stopped letting down for anything except the PIS at around 6 months, so I ended up having to buy a 2nd one to keep at home :(

My news is I recently weaned Ben at 25 months. It was great but I was ready to stop, and he put up very little resistance so I think he was pretty much ready too.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Nursing is still going great. I freaked out when I went back to work when I was convinced that I had supply issues, but I am still going strong. LOL.

She might be getting tired of it, and she's starting to look to me to nurse when she's tired. That's going to be a tough habit to break when I wean...esp that she's giving up the paci right now, too. She doesn't have a strong sucking need like my son did...she's also drinking out of a cup like a champ too...so she's a much better self-soother than he was.

At any rate, I planned to try and make it a year. I have a little over two months left. I made it to 11 months with my son, so I don't see an issue with making it to 11 or 12 months with her.
    :rambo:
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    I'm not nursing yet (duh), but my boobs are getting freakin' HUGE! I didn't really believe that i was going to get big boobs b/c i have always been a B cup didn't think they would get much bigger! They have like gone from 1 handful to like 3 handfuls! I am so AMAZED! They look great! I wish they stay like this and not sag after the baby comes!
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    massive and if I'm anything like my mom, they're going to get even bigger.

:x
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    shelli wrote:
    I'm not nursing yet (duh), but my boobs are getting freakin' HUGE! I didn't really believe that i was going to get big boobs b/c i have always been a B cup didn't think they would get much bigger! They have like gone from 1 handful to like 3 handfuls! I am so AMAZED! They look great! I wish they stay like this and not sag after the baby comes!

Mine are huge too, and really painful. I don't like it. They were really nice before and now they're unmanageable and don't look good.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Just wait till your milk first comes in, Ladies :twisted:

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
    I am having a problem with where to PUT them! Like when I sleep, I feel like they get in my way!

• DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Shelli, just wait until your belly is big enough for them to rest on. That seriously grossed me out.

Mine are gone now. Goodbye, voluptuous D cup on a teeny tiny frame. Hello, pre-pubescent boy. :(
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Posts: 652Registered Users
    as big as you think they are now, just wait...once that milk comes in, HUGE boobies. mine are still huge. i'm terrified of how they'll look after i stop nursing, but hey....what are ya gonna do!
    preggos, you'll forget how big the boobies are when that belly passes the boobies up. it'll be a strange feeling when you realized it's happened because i'm sure you're feeling like you can't imagine anything being bigger then "the girls" hahaha
  • imagenimagen Posts: 343Registered Users
    I just gained another cup size in about a week, so now I'm up 2+ cup sizes. I'm between a 32 and 34 band size, so it looks like I am all boobs now, not a good look as far as I am concerned. I'm getting sick of men at work looking at my chest, I'm pregnant you perv! I miss my proportionate boobs, but as big as they are getting now, I know that it is nothing compared to how big they got when I nursed! YIKES! :shock:
    .png

.png
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    geeky wrote:

Actually, since my boobs were so big to begin with, I went up a couple of sizes during my pregnancy, but they didn't get much more unmanageable than that when my milk came in.

But yes, Amneris, I hear you. They HURT, and they're just overly huge, and yes, they're going to be like that for months after you have the baby. Any pictures of me when B was an infant I just look like I'm all boob. I think my boobs were bigger than she was.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
    Not only do my boobs hurt but my nipples are really sensitive too (not in a good way). I had to LEAVE the furniture store b/c it was so cold in there it was amking my nipples HURT- like painful hurting cold OWWWW! my husband was like: :roll:

• deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    geeky wrote:

No crap....that was some PAIN!

I joked with everyone that i had a boob job done after i had him, it was the new thing to do!
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Well, I never thought I'd be nursing a toddler but Kennedy is 13 months and not interested in weaning at all. We nurse at night. I'm ok with it for now.

Boobs - aren't as perky as before but I never had big boobs ... I like these...so does DH.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Posts: 850Registered Users
    I must be the only one whose boobies didn't get huge either during pregnancy or even after while nursing. My ribcage expanded exponentially, but while pregnant I never even went up a single cup size. And afterward, I did go up a cup size for about a nanosecond--long enough to spend a small fortune on nursing bras only to have to spend another small fortune not long thereafter on more, smaller new ones (why must these things be both ridiculously expensive AND the most hideous garments on the planet???). I'm still a bit bigger in the band, but mine are pretty much the same as they ever were. And I'm still nursing several times a day and pumping a couple times at work. Z is pretty much only interested in the early morning and bedtime nursings though. She just loves her solid foods.
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
    I am NOT loving the nipples getting bigger at all. What happened to my cute little small areolas? Now they look like my moms boobs!!! :cry:

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I didn't get big boobies either! I had very sore pregnant boobies that felt really heavy but I never changed bra sizes, even while I was nursing. Now I'm back in my old bras. The girls look the same, but the nipples are a bit bigger and more sensitive.

Karan weaned himself at just over 1 year old. I would have loved to keep going, but the boy just wasn't interested and as I went back to work I just couldn't keep my supply to even try to push the issue. At least it wasn't a painful process (for either of us). He just nursed less and less every time and one morning just wanted to cuddle instead of nurse and that was the end of it. Now he gets cow's milk, although he's not really into it at all (maybe 8 oz a day). The boy just really loves to chow down!

shelli wrote:
    I am NOT loving the nipples getting bigger at all. What happened to my cute little small areolas? Now they look like my moms boobs!!! :cry:
    OMG!! Mine looked like plates and they were really dark! My mom saw me nursing right after I had Kennedy and was like "what is wrong with your boobs? :shock: I read that they get so big and dark so that the baby has a target to go for when they are beginning to nurse and don't have great eyesight. I'm glad I read that before it started happening....I would have FREAKED out :shock:
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

Karan weaned himself at just over 1 year old. I would have loved to keep going, but the boy just wasn't interested and as I went back to work I just couldn't keep my supply to even try to push the issue. At least it wasn't a painful process (for either of us). He just nursed less and less every time and one morning just wanted to cuddle instead of nurse and that was the end of it. Now he gets cow's milk, although he's not really into it at all (maybe 8 oz a day). The boy just really loves to chow down!

I wish that was my story. I've heard so many moms talk about it being so easy for their baby to wean. No cuddling here... if I hold her close, she starts pulling my shirt down. She's very attached to nursing. As I said, I'm ok with it for now and I still have good supply for our night nursings. I would like my body back at some point though.

Also, Kennedy doesn't like the cow's milk much either - like Karan maybe 8 oz a day - is that normal?

Those of you who have nursed toddlers, do you have a name for nursing? I need to stop saying "boobies" and use another term! :)
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

We always called it "milk". It was the only sign he ever learned, and then one of his first words. Ben went through a super-attached to boobs phase between about 14 and 17 months. Would ask for milk constantly and it was an effort to keep it to several times a day. Then it passed. He was still happily nursing at age 2, though not with the same intensity. And did not have a problem with me telling him "Milk is all gone". Cried for about 1 1/2 minutes the first night, asked for it a few more times and that was it. He was never much of a cows milk drinker either. Started drinking a little more after weaning, but he still prefers to eat.

Well, I don't like whole milk myself so I don't blame her. She has lots of yogurt and cheese so I think she's prob getting enough calcium.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    My doc was fine with Karan not having any cow's milk if he didn't want it. He said its a convenient source of fat and calcium, but if baby is eating well (Karan is a yogurt-o-holic) then its not an issue. Its only when Karan is teething that he's not much into eating and then I'll keep milk available for him.

The biggest issue I have with not nursing is that I have lost my main night-waking solution. Karan still wakes up about every other night and now I have no means to get him back to sleep! He won't take a bottle, or even co-sleep with us (our bed = jungle gym to him). He just wants me to hold him and rock in the glider ALL.DAMN.NIGHT.

It was so much easier to whip out a boob and have him conk back out.

My doc was fine with Karan not having any cow's milk if he didn't want it. He said its a convenient source of fat and calcium, but if baby is eating well (Karan is a yogurt-o-holic) then its not an issue. Its only when Karan is teething that he's not much into eating and then I'll keep milk available for him.

The biggest issue I have with not nursing is that I have lost my main night-waking solution. Karan still wakes up about every other night and now I have no means to get him back to sleep! He won't take a bottle, or even co-sleep with us (our bed = jungle gym to him). He just wants me to hold him and rock in the glider ALL.DAMN.NIGHT.

You are so funny! :lol: The boob is a great pacifier and sleep inducer!
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

• j'adorej'adore Posts: 1,966Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Hallelujah!

I have no idea what to do with Marley as far as the weaning goes. She still nurses a few times a day, and her daycare provider gives her whole milk now, but I do not drink whole milk and kinda don't want to give it to Marley at home.

But I don't know what my other options are. Is whole milk my only option for her?
    "Don't play me...I'm over 30, and I don't smoke weed"
    -Prince

catcatadr20050914_-8_Marley+is.png
    J'adore, talk to her doctor. You don't have to give her whole milk. A good soy milk may be OK. Or just let her drink water and make sure her diet is complete other ways. Plenty of yogurt and hceese instead of milk, for example. But ask your pediatrician.

• inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    he still loves the boobies. nurses like a pro. he's got 6 teeth now, though, so i do get nipped occasionally. i have done the thing where you pull them onto the breast to get them to release it, and for some reason, he thinks that it's hilarious. so it's getting frustrating. i've tried saying "NO" and being loud in his face. he thinks that is funny too....
    so mommy's boobies have been quite sore lately. yeouch.
    any other suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!!!

quote]

My sister use to thump them on the foot, say No and take them off the breast. The thumping doesn't hurt just kind of a way to enforce the No? She nursed 8 kids so I guess it worked.

I'm enjoying nursing even though I now have lopsided boobs. One boob is much bigger than the other one. It holds twice the milk. I just hope to go back to normal after I'm done.

I have had an issue with Chas. Ever since we started daycare...he has been screaming when I try to nurse him. He wants the bottle instead of me because he doesn't have to work at the bottle plus he can look around while he eats. The only time I don't have this issue is in the middle of the night when he's 1/2 a sleep. Did anybody else go through this? Any suggestions would be great or just knowing someone else had this problem?

I hate pumping and feeding when he's not at daycare. It's twice the work and it's so much easier just to put him on the boob. If he keeps this up...I may not make my goal of a year. I usually try to put the paci in his mouth...he sucks...I slide it out and stick a boob in. Sometimes it works sometimes not. I can usually break him of this after a couple of days...but then we're back at daycare by the time the weekend is over.
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Did anybody else go through this? Any suggestions would be great or just knowing someone else had this problem?

The only suggestion I have is to use slow-flow nipples on his bottle. I know that they say you're supposed to increase the flow when the babies get bigger, but my 10 month old still has slow flow nipples on her bottles.
    When at home over the weekends, try nursing in a quiet room, etc...limit the distractions.

Thoare are really the only pieces of advice that I have.

GL.
    :rambo:
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks M2LR. I'll try to do this. I tried once and they don't sell the bigger Avent bottles with the slowest flow of nipple. I guess it's a marketing scam...pain. I'll have to break down and buy the nipples seperate.
  • itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Posts: 652Registered Users
    hmmm...i bought avent bottles with the slower nipples. if you have the slower nipples on smaller bottles you can swap them out too...
    otherwise, maybe changing up the position you nurse him in would work?
    owen is all about moving right now, so he doesn't want to be cradled or nursed laying down except for when he's sleepy.
    he'd rather be on his hands and knees and try to nurse that way. or he lays on his belly while i lay on my back and he nurses that way. he can see the whole room then.
    both of these positions were created by him just because that was the only way i could get him to eat at that time! hahaha

well good luck!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file