CurlTalk

Conditioner Chronicles comments thread

Please comment on The Conditioner Chronicles on this thread (or in the Product Reviews section rather than on the review thread. TIA! :D
2b w/ some 3a
product tester geek

Comments

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    I'm having fun reading this as it's posted.

It also makes me more interested in playing around with making my own conditioner. I'd love to put in the items that work for me and keep out the items I don't. I do see that few items are made this way for me though. I'd get all excited reading a review and then run into "hydrolized" in there somewhere. I wonder why proteins are so prevalent.

I was glad to see a mention of "low-protein" especially with conditioners such as [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Too Shea[/buylink]! that have a protein that isn't used a protein normally is used. It's a nice category between protein and no protein.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • InsomnicoleInsomnicole Posts: 42Registered Users
    I love that thread and your reviews, but I can already tell that it's going to be torture for my inner Product Junkie. Before I even hit the second page I was saying "I want that ... and that ... and that ..."
    2c; some 3a
    Loving CO Bigelow Not Your Ordinary Condish, AG:recoil, and GF Curl-Shaping Spray Gel
  • FermunneyFermunney Posts: 48Registered Users
    OH MY GOD! You tested that many conditioners? Thats just insane! But my hair (and my PJ) thank you very, very much!
    3a/b : CG since Feb 08
  • laurabeth33laurabeth33 Posts: 1,443Registered Users
    Fermunney wrote:
    OH MY GOD! You tested that many conditioners? Thats just insane! But my hair (and my PJ) thank you very, very much!

It's taken almost a year to complete! To get a decent rating, a conditioner had to perform consistantly well days in a row, so that's even more testing. There are a lot of duds out there that would be much better for those with oily hair or fine, stick-straight hair. I'm just glad I found so many really, really amazing ones!
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    This is fabulous, a labor of love. Thank you. Wish I had read it before I bought (and used) the Bumble and bumble Creme de Coco. I might return anyway.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • tinabcurlytinabcurly Posts: 545Registered Users
    Kudos to laurabeth!!! How incredibly selfless to be a giunea pig and then document every detail. Very well done & much appreciated. You're the next "Paula Begoun" sans the biotchy 'tude!!
    3a/b mix
    pw:curlyqs
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

And now I lust after that Umberto Gianni Curl & Twirl condish...where have people found this one? If you've used it, how is the shampoo with it? CURIOSITY!!!!!
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,020Registered Users
    laurabeth, thanks so much! some of these CO's i never heard of. i love that robt craig CO also, i use it after coloring but cannot use it daily $$$$
    good work!!! i think you should get the "curly of the year" award!!
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fbanjolady%2F" class="Popup
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Flazycurls" class="Popup
  • FermunneyFermunney Posts: 48Registered Users
    Can I ask what styling products you used? And also, did you use the test conditioner as your leave in?
    3a/b : CG since Feb 08
  • WiggilyhairWiggilyhair Posts: 779Registered Users
    I've seen the UG Curl and Twirl at Rite Aid drug stores.

Thanks Laurabeth! :D
  • icequeenicequeen Posts: 590Registered Users
    A job well done, Laurabeth! Thank you for your dedication to this site!

I've been eyeing the Robert Craig Cond. for a year and I think you put me over the edge :)
    3a Colored, Layered
    Currently loving:
    Cond: CJ Strengthing, Marie Dean, CJ Curl Rehab
    Leave -In: Marie Dean Red Clover, Coconut Lime Detangler and just about the entire line, CJ Rehab
    Gelly: UFDCM, Paul Brown Geletine Goo
    Towel - HG - Curls Like Us

Always use the "Icequeen" method for products
  • one way streetone way street Posts: 772Registered Users
    THANK YOU SO MUCH LAURABETH! Your so sweet to go through all that testing!

PS-I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I'm thankful that you did this!
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii
    Fotki album and journal updated: 10/01/07
    password: springlet

Currently: Trying to stop straightening so much. Using Elucence conditioner and whatever works for me.
  • medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    hehe my fav conditioner was on the love hate list, somehow that's appropriate :lol:

I'm still processing it all whew that's a big list!
    Thanks for all your hair work!
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMedusahair%2F" class="Popup

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • one way streetone way street Posts: 772Registered Users
    Is this going to be a sticky?
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii
    Fotki album and journal updated: 10/01/07
    password: springlet

Currently: Trying to stop straightening so much. Using Elucence conditioner and whatever works for me.
  • embudiniembudini Posts: 580Registered Users
    Laurabth, thanks for all of the wonderful reviews!

I have one question, if you can answer it. Do you think the CO Bigelow Not Your Ordinary Daily Conditioner would be ok with a sulfate and coco betaine free poo? Or would it need something stronger? TIA :D
    PW: ihaveafotki :toothy2:
    Fotki UPDATED! 12-14-2007
    3A-3B layered-longer-than-shoulder-length-not-really-CG
    Former Tween Scene Columnist
    AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

And now I lust after that Umberto Gianni Curl & Twirl condish...where have people found this one? If you've used it, how is the shampoo with it? CURIOSITY!!!!!

Rite Aid, Amazon.com, and CosmeticMall.com have it. Drugstore.com occasionally has it, but it comes and goes. I didn't try the poo, but I've heard it's on the drying side.
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek
    Fermunney wrote:
    Can I ask what styling products you used? And also, did you use the test conditioner as your leave in?

I used CK and gel. Usually, I rinse all of my conditioner out so, unless noted otherwise (like with Suave Professionals Humectant Conditioner or Devacurl OCs), I didn't use it as a leave-in. I actually don't use a leave-in daily. The CK gives me a lot of moisture.
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek
    medusahair wrote:
    hehe my fav conditioner was on the love hate list, somehow that's appropriate :lol:

It's because of wonderful, thoughtful curlies like you, medusahair, who communicated your love for certain products that necessitated the love-hate list. :wink: :D

Being on the love-hate list doesn't mean they aren't good conditioners. If I were reading the list for the first time, I'd think "I should get this at Walmart and keep my receipt, just in case. I may just be in the love group." but that's me!
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek
    embudini wrote:
    I have one question, if you can answer it. Do you think the CO Bigelow Not Your Ordinary Daily Conditioner would be ok with a sulfate and coco betaine free poo? Or would it need something stronger? TIA :D

I would recommend at least a coco betaine poo. Even decyl polyglucose (a non-ionic surfactant) by itself (without coco betaine or another ionic surfactant) probably wouldn't be enough.

This conditioner has a lot of protein (but I never got protein buildup like I did with the TRESemme Anti-Breakage if I used multiple days in a row), dimethicone, and amodimethicone. Depending on your buildup tendancies, you may be able to use a coco betaine or sulfate-containing poo once a week or every other week and get off fine. Porousity and buildup potential is so individual!
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek
  • BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    WoW! :shock: Impressive work!

i have a question. That CO Bigelow Not Your Ordinary Daily Conditioner, where did you purchase that?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • BluwhispBluwhisp Posts: 33Registered Users
    I noticed that you reviewed the Back to Basics Pomegranate conditioner - was this the reformulated one in the oddly shaped reddish bottle? My hair loves the old formula as a detangler/leave-in, and I've been wary of trying the new one - it sounds like the new formula doesnt have as much detangling to it.
    3a, fine hair, and lots of it!

Currently using:
    Aura Rosemary Mint Conditioning Rinse
    Back to Basics Pomegranate Peach Conditioner
    Got2b Curlvacious Shimmer Curl gel
    Back to Basics Curl Catalyst
    Paul Mitchell Round Trip
    I see that many of the better rated ones have a behentrimonium (chloride or methosulfate) as a high-up ingredient. What does this do?

I see that the list will help kill some PJ, which is nice. I see so many promising conditioners with "nope" ingredients for me. It helps explain why I don't seem to like many conditioners for more than a week or two at a clip also.

Brio wrote:
    i have a question. That CO Bigelow Not Your Ordinary Daily Conditioner, where did you purchase that?

Bath & Body Works Flagship Store (also available online with B&BW).
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek
    Bluwhisp wrote:
    I noticed that you reviewed the Back to Basics Pomegranate conditioner - was this the reformulated one in the oddly shaped reddish bottle? My hair loves the old formula as a detangler/leave-in, and I've been wary of trying the new one - it sounds like the new formula doesnt have as much detangling to it.

Yep, it was the new formula. It didn't have nearly the slip of any of B2B's old formulas. They are very cone-y but minimal slip--a weird combination.
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek
    I see that many of the better rated ones have a behentrimonium (chloride or methosulfate) as a high-up ingredient. What does this do?

It detangles. I hadn't noticed that (good eye, redcelticcurls!). I know a while back, someone was searching for conditioners with one of those two ingreds because they had noticed it served them well.
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek
    Thank you!

Ah, that makes sense. I've noticed on me that conditioners with this do detangle well. It's just the protein part that some have that gets me.

Another ingredient question - what do the cetearyl alcohols do? They seem to be around in the better ones too.

I thought that there was a post about what some of the ingredients do, different than the article on the main site, but I couldn't find it. I had been wondering what ingredients tend to give slip.

• DevilCurlDevilCurl Posts: 40Registered Users
    Could I have a link to laurabeth's reviews please?
    3c/3b
    DevilCurl wrote:
    Could I have a link to laurabeth's reviews please?

This is the thread that we are commenting on:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=91196

• DevilCurlDevilCurl Posts: 40Registered Users
    Wooooow! Thank you :D
    3c/3b
  • kjwavykjwavy Posts: 362Registered Users
    Wow, laurabeth, what dedication - a year to test them all out!!!!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart {hugs} for this thread! I hope it will become a 'sticky', but I think I'm going to end up printing it out anyway so I will be sure to have it.

You are such an asset to this site. LB - thanks a million again!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Discovered nc.com in 09/2003

2b~~fine texture~~normal porosity (except for highlights, which are high)~~normal elasticity~~medium density

Shampoo: Still use sulfates, but only on roots
    Rinse out: Deva One C, JC Too Shea, Original Sprouts Deep Conditioner
    Curl Enhancers: KCCC; JC Rocking Ringlets, JC Spiralicious, & Confident Coils
    Styler: BRHG (over any and all curl enhancers) - this is the one product that I never change - absolute HG!!

I