Can't get rid of itch

curlyjilliecurlyjillie Posts: 10Registered Users
I've been CG almost a month. I use no poo at all. I'm cowashing 1-2 times a week. I decided to try Giovanni tea tree triple treat bc of its good reviews. However, my scalp itched more after I cowashed with it than with my usual garnier condish. Did I not use enough. Am I suffering from product buildup? I'm thinking of trying baking soda and acv rinse today (even though I just cowashed two days ago; this itch is unbearable!!:sad1:). OR should I just do a brown sugar scrub along with the tea tree condish? I'm worried the baking soda/acv rinse will be too drying. But I never blowdry or straighten my hair so maybe my concern is unnecessary.
Fine, porous Botticelli curls
CG since May 10, 2010
COwash: VO5 Moisture Milks
Rinse: Same
Styling: Frizz Ease Take Charge Curl Boosting Mousse
Aubrey Organics moisturizing conditioner for deep conditioning treatments.
Denman brush.
No plopping.
TRESemme Tres Two hairspray.
Pineappling works about half the time.
Second day hair: Scrunching in Deva Curl Mist-er Right (and then hairspray, as mist-er right has no hold.)
Overall, my hair is much better since going CG.

Comments

• emthefantasticalemthefantastical Posts: 963Registered Users Curl Novice
    you could be experiencing build-up that might require a sulfate shampoo. from what i know, the garnier length and strength that you say you're using in your signature has amodimethicone in it, which from what i know is not water soluble, but not quite as build-upy as other -cones. however if you've been CG for a month, i'd imagine that you'd have some serious build up from it. you might want to consider switching to a cone-free conditioner if you're going full on CG.
    2c/3a
    somewhere between fine and medium texture
    average porosity underneath, fairly high porosity in the canopy

cowash: Suave Tropical Coconut
    rinse-out: GFTN, One-C
    styling: LALSG, EcoStyler, Deva Styling Cream

• MaciMaci Posts: 180Registered Users
    Agreed, a sulfate poo may be needed to get the build up off. I've used light oils on my scalp to help soothe the itch. Jojoba, coconut and sweet almond work well. Also, several hair care makers sell scalp oil.
    Spirals, curls & waves, Med-Coarse Texture, Med Porosity, Low Elasticity
  • ResRes Posts: 2,911Registered Users
    Tea Tree Oil seems to help me. I use Giovanni Tea Tree Shampoo (it's a low poo) and that helps as well.
    3A/B - low-normal porosity - med to coarse texture

Shampoo - GTTTT
    Co-Wash - As I Am Coconut Cowash
    RO - GVP Cond. Balm, Tresemme Naturals, Yes to Carrots Nourishing, AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cream Headdress
    DT - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholestrol, SM Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment
    Stylers - BRHG (old formula is my HG, but the new one has silicones)

Trying out - MGA Sculpting Gel, LA Sports Gel, Got2b Spiked Gel, Got2b Glued
  • curlyjilliecurlyjillie Posts: 10Registered Users
    you could be experiencing build-up that might require a sulfate shampoo. from what i know, the garnier length and strength that you say you're using in your signature has amodimethicone in it, which from what i know is not water soluble, but not quite as build-upy as other -cones. however if you've been CG for a month, i'd imagine that you'd have some serious build up from it. you might want to consider switching to a cone-free conditioner if you're going full on CG.

It doesn't have amodimethicone. It says "Lauryl PEG/PPG-18/18 Methicone." Unless that's what that is. I assumed if it had a PEG in front of it, it was water soluble.
    CG since May 10, 2010
    Denman brush.
    No plopping.
    Second day hair: Scrunching in Deva Curl Mist-er Right (and then hairspray, as mist-er right has no hold.)

It doesn't have amodimethicone. It says "Lauryl PEG/PPG-18/18 Methicone." Unless that's what that is. I assumed if it had a PEG in front of it, it was water soluble.

these are the ingredients on my Length and Strength bottle:
    Aqua (Water), Cetearyl Alcohol, PEG 180, Behentrimonium Chloride, Pyrus Malus (Apple Fruit Extract), Amodimethicone, Perfume (Fragrance), Cetyl Esters, Lauryl PEG/PPG 18/18 Methicone, Methylparaben, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Lanolin, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine HCl, Trideceth 12, Citric Acid, Saccharum Officinarum Extract (Sugar Cane Extract), Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Cetrimonium Chloride, Linalool, Citrus Limonium (Lemon) (Lemon Peel Extract), Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) (Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract)

unless they've changed their formula in the past 6 months, i'd assume they are all the same?
    2c/3a

They must have changed the formula..

I have "Aqua (Water), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Cetyl Esters, Isopropyl Myristate, Pyrus Malus Extract (Apple Fruit Extract), Fragrance, Methyl Paraben, Lauryl PEG/PPG-18/18 Methicone, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine HCI, Citric Acid, Chlorhexidine Digluconate, Saccharum Officinarum Extract (Sugar Cane Extract), Benzyl Alcohol, Dodecene, Poloxamer 407, Linalool, Citrus Medica Limonum Peel Extract (Lemon Peel Extract), Camellia Sinensis Extract (Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract)

This only leaves me more perplexed. I'm certain I'm using no cones.
    CG since May 10, 2010
    Denman brush.
    No plopping.
    hmmm that is interesting. are you using anything with any type of oils? those can cause some build up. have you gone swimming at all? pool chemicals can really cause my hair to build up. how are you washing your hair? are you really scrubbing with your fingers? if i feel a little build upy i know i have to scrub my scalp a good 5 minutes or so. if you're really committed to CG i hate recommending a sulfate shampoo, but perhaps trying one to at least get a clean feeling and hopefully eliminate itch. you can always try a sugar scrub!! and you said you're cowashing 1-2 times a week, maybe try cowashing a little more often and see if that helps.

you could just be experiencing a scalp adjustment from going CG. since you're cleaning your hair a different way and have eliminated certain ingredients i'm sure your hair and scalp was very used to, you could just be in an adjustment period.
    2c/3a

Well I recently cowashed with a bit of Jojoba oil. Usually if I get itchy, I spot treat with Argan oil while my hair is dry (but I don't like to, as it makes my hair look greasy).
    No swimming.
    Perhaps I haven't been scrubbing thoroughly.

I did a brown sugar scrub a couple of weeks ago. That relieved the itch for about 2 days, which was longer than anything else at the time. I assume I was going through sulfate withdrawal more heavily then. I really don't want to go back to sulfates. I think that made my dry scalp worse. I'll probably have to do the scrub once a week.

Also, I've been advised to cowash less. CG (the book) says to about once a week. But, as I said, I probably haven't been scrubbing thoroughly enough.
    CG since May 10, 2010
    Denman brush.
    No plopping.
    i'd definitely keep up with the brown sugar scrubs! maybe try doing them once a week?
    CG the book is a good source, but I know plenty of curlies who co-wash more than once or twice a week as it doesn't harm anything, so if you feel the need to try that in order to help with itchiness go for it!
    2c/3a

• Miss LynxMiss Lynx Posts: 27Registered Users
    It could actually be the tea tree conditioner that's giving you problems. Tea tree oil is actually a fairly strong skin irritant, and a lot of people have problems with it - I read a article by a dermatologist a while back who said it was one of the most common causes of skin problems that landed people in her office.

Honestly, I have no idea what tea tree oil is doing in a conditioner anyway - it doesn't have any benefits for hair. Its major proven benefit of any sort is that it's a strong antiseptic and moderate antifungal agent. So it can be useful in acne products, or for disinfecting minor injuries or treating fungal infections of various sorts, but like most antiseptics, it's fairly harsh and irritating (it probably wouldn't kill bacteria on contact if it wasn't!).

One of the many annoying qualities of the cosmetics industry is that they tend to latch onto any ingredient that becomes popular for any reason, and start shoving it into all kinds of products used for completely unrelated purposes, whether or not it makes any sense to put it there. And unfortunately tea tree is one of the trendiest ingredients out there, so it's made its way into a lot of things and caused a lot of people rashes and skin irritations.

Try switching to a less irritating conditioner and see if that helps.
    Hair type: 3a (fine "Botticelli curls", a little less than shoulder length).
    CG Status: Mostly CG since Feb 25 - it's still kind a work in progress.
    Currently using: Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut conditioner as both co-wash and leave-in, and Aussie Instant Freeze gel. Have almost entirely kicked the blow drying habit now, and finally gotten the hang of that clipping thing.
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    Have you tried co-washing more often? It's only been a month, so your scalp may still be adjusting. Co-washing more often in the beginning can be a big help to get rid of the extra build-up.

I had problems with itchiness when I first went CG. Brown sugar scrubs helped a lot, but I also had to co-wash every other day. That's what helped me the most.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
    I had no idea! But I can believe it. That's strange that so many people are recommending it for itchiness. I'll go back to Garnier. It's funny; the cheapest stuff is working the best, despite my best efforts to believe otherwise.
    CG since May 10, 2010
    Denman brush.
    No plopping.
  • jaxbishopjaxbishop Posts: 4Registered Users
    I would second that thought that tea tree could be irritating. Have you tried switching conditioner?
  • CurlyPolkaDotCurlyPolkaDot Posts: 1,174Registered Users
    Yup, I'm allergic to Tea Tree so maybe stay clear of that for a while :D
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii
    Countess DuckyDot :duckie: , Keeper of the book of Vegetarianism and Arty Pants, Leader of the Curly Ducks in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Away and might not be back. See me at: http://walkintowhispers.blogspot.com/
  • curlieaggiecurlieaggie Posts: 2Registered Users
    For me, it took almost 3 months for my head to become adjusted to all the changes and for it to really start looking good and not have the itch. Before I started, another friend who introduced me to CG warned that this would happen and that I needed to be patient and just keep on. I kept on, and it all went away. Just be patient, less than a month is a little to early to tell. I think the best practice is to not keep changing things around. If your are going to make a change, you have to keep it for 1-2 months before deciding how it is affecting you. If you decide to do something different while you are still getting adjusted to one change, it just kinda throughs everything for a loop and it's harder to know what is really working and what's not.
  • rileysmama32208rileysmama32208 Posts: 69Registered Users
    giovanni TTT shampoo gives me major itchies! I think its just a little too strong, sometimes. My favorite thing for itchies is a vinegar rinse? My hair used to practically sigh with relief when i used vinegar! Now, I don't have to, because when i bought this house, i bought a big expensive water softener and filter, lol!
    2b/iii/low porosity/ normal elasticity
    Currently loving:

Cowash: suave coconut and suave mountain strawberry
    leave in: giovanni direct
    style: FOTE avg under bella super spikes gel (yellow) with a tiny dot of honey
    http://public.fotki.com/LoveRyGuy/
  • KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Posts: 714Registered Users
    Since we all can't go out and buy a water softener...

curlyjillie - Have you tried a dermatologist? It could possibly be a bad case of dandruff aka seborrheic dermatitis.

If so, certain oils can actually exacerbate the problem.

Just a thought...:glasses9:
    We can go from there...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
  • BigHairLalaBigHairLala Posts: 116Registered Users
    How often are you using the Frizz Ease in your signature? I did a search and it's got full-blown dimethicone.
    Ingredients:
    Water (Aqua), Propane, Butane, Polyquaternium-11, Dimethicone, Copolyol, Panthenol, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Isosteareth-10, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Benzophenone-4 (Sunscreen), Fragrance.

as found on http://www.folica.com/John_Frieda_Fri_d352.html
    [FONT=&quot]Mod CG since January 2010[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2b/c – in winter; mostly 3a in summer; working toward 3a all year-round
    Fine - Dense - Fairly porous
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Cowash & Leave in: Co-wash with TJ’s Tea-Tree Tingle cond. , Suave Naturals, TJ Nourish[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Styling products in rotation: AG Re:coil, K-Y liquid; FSG, epsom salt & lavender curl-revitalizer;
    [/FONT]
  • poemaXXpoemaXX Posts: 456Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Garnier Triple Nutrition made my scalp itch like crazy! Turns out I'm glycol-sensitive, so products with Propylene Glycol and its derivatives make me itch. Check my siggy for a thread on glycol sensitivity.
    I've been CG almost a month. I use no poo at all. I'm cowashing 1-2 times a week. I decided to try Giovanni tea tree triple treat bc of its good reviews. However, my scalp itched more after I cowashed with it than with my usual garnier condish. Did I not use enough. Am I suffering from product buildup? I'm thinking of trying baking soda and acv rinse today (even though I just cowashed two days ago; this itch is unbearable!!:sad1:). OR should I just do a brown sugar scrub along with the tea tree condish? I'm worried the baking soda/acv rinse will be too drying. But I never blowdry or straighten my hair so maybe my concern is unnecessary.
    || 3b; normal porosity; fine/normal texture || CG since Feb 2010 || SD/dandruff prone

Current Routine BAQ henna 1/month Leave-in OH Hair Dew Cheapie Conditioner Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing
    Old Stand-bys extra-virgin coconut oil Protein AO GPB; Moisture AO HR Style AOMMJ – Kept for troubleshooting.
    Waiting to try extra-wide curlformers SD treatment H&S Clinical Strength

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'd suggest a brown sugar scrub. Just mix 1 tablespoon of brown sugar with conditioner. Maybe change the conditioner up -- just something cheap and reliable like VO5 or Suave Naturals. You might need to do this a couple of times.

IIRC I had the same problem at about the same time interval as you. It got better after the first brown sugar scrub. Possibly TMI, with the second -- UGH -- it was like I'd had a coating of -cones on my scalp that hadn't come off with the final cleansing I had done with a really strong, technically low-poo, that new hair growth had helped to lift, and the previous brown sugar scrub had helped weaken enough for the second to finish breaking up. My scalp felt so much better after that!

It was a good confirmation that I didn't want to use the old products, and was not willing to ever go back to them. I took them in to work, and let my co-workers shop free. Haven't missed them.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file