I really want longer hair...

zami31zami31 Posts: 5Registered Users
I've been natural for about 10 years. I usually wear it cut in a close fade. But my 36th birthday is in about a week and I've decided I need to grow my hair longer for a more feminine look. Right now I have about 1 inch on top and 1/2 inch around the back and sides. I have type 4b hair (i think LOL). I have a huge problem with dryness and breakage. I try to keep the edges trimmed once a month to control the split ends.

I have tried ALL KNIDS OF PRODUCTS, but nothings seems to give me that softer, shiny look I want so bad. I don't know what products I should be using, nor how to really take care of my hair as it's getting longer. My budget for hair care is not that much, so I'll be looking for inexpensive products that will help my hair be more manageable to comb, look shinier and healthier, and start looking at some cute styles soon.

Any advice would be sooooo apreciated! THANKS!!
*BC 8/99
*TRUE type 5c Course Thick
*trying to "grow out"
*product junkie (b/c no product will give me the look I want)

Comments

• coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    I would suggest (if you haven't tried)Qhemet biologics amla and olive heavy cream. I get softness and shine from this product. I don't know what your budget is, but it costs $16 for 8 oz +plus shipping (or you can look on the website, maybe there is a store in your area that carries them). She also has another cream and other moisturizers. There are also 2 oz samples
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • AimWardAimWard Posts: 192Registered Users
    Since you're on a budget, I would suggest the entire Shea Moisture line at Target. Nothing is over $9.99 and they work. I've used the Raw Shea Restorative shampoo (cleanses with out completely stripping), Raw shea Conditioner, and the Raw shea Restorative deep treatment masque (makes my hair super soft).
    http://www.target.com/b/ref=pd_sim_cat_1_4?ie=UTF8&node=2280485011
    I like my gels light, my oils heavy, my conditioners thick, and my curls long...
  • zami31zami31 Posts: 5Registered Users
    Thanks ladies for the suggestions. I'm struggling with my hair lately. Seems like the longer it gets the drier and more tangled it is.

I'm about ready to cut it back down to a fade!

LOL! I"m trying to be strong!
    *BC 8/99
    *trying to "grow out"
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    zami31 wrote: »
    Thanks ladies for the suggestions. I'm struggling with my hair lately. Seems like the longer it gets the drier and more tangled it is.

have you tried protective styles? I'm more frustrated with my hair when it's out--more tangles!!!

try twists/braids for a while
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
    Hi Zami,
    Try using olive oil and honey. Mix a bit of olive oil with honey and use it as a DC. Doing that about once a week should give you some good results after a few weeks, and your hair should be a lot softer and a lot less dry.
    Visit the natural hair recipes board, there are a lot of natural inexpensive tips on hair care.
    To grow your hair out, you just have to keep it healthy. That can be done using very simple and inexpensive ingredients which you probably aready have in your kitchen. It doesn't have to be an expensive issue.
    Things like olive oil, honey, yoghurt, avocado, bananas, shea butter, molasses, a plastic cap, a mild shampoo which isn't too drying to your hair, a good combing conditioner, a good comb, and patience :)
  • Nicky791Nicky791 Posts: 679Registered Users
    coilynapp wrote: »
    zami31 wrote: »

have you tried protective styles? I'm more frustrated with my hair when it's out--more tangles!!!

try twists/braids for a while

+1 on the protective styling...my hair feels and looks so much better! On a typical work week with no extra-curricular events plans I usually just keep it in twists for 5-6 days and a twist-out on the 6 or 7th day and my hair seems to like that much better than wearing an "out" style for the entire week.

HTH
    Last Relaxer: March 26 2009
    Mini Chop: January 16 2010
    BC: April 4 2010
    Transitioned for 1yr 9days!
    Fotki: http://members.fotki.com/Nicky791/about/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Nicky791
  • zami31zami31 Posts: 5Registered Users
    My hair is not long enough for any protective styles yet, that's where I'm trying to get to. I will visit the recipes page. THANK YOU EVERYONE!!
    *BC 8/99
    *trying to "grow out"
  • CurlyChloeCurlyChloe Posts: 4Registered Users
    HAIR SKIN AND NAIL VITAMINS!! They work wonders!
  • taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
    Be careful with those, I've read in several posts that some have got their hair growing faster not only on their head !
    CurlyChloe wrote: »
    HAIR SKIN AND NAIL VITAMINS!! They work wonders!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file