Trying to go CG: please review my products!

Hi all,

I have slowly begun the process of going CG. I'm still waiting on the book from the library, so thus far I've been trying to garner as much information as possible online. So I need your help.

Can you review the products I'm using on my hair below, and let me know which are / are not CG friendly? [And if they're not, maybe explain why?]

Kiss My Face Big Body Conditioner, Volumizing
Certified Organic Floral Waters of Lavender, Hibiscus, Lemongrass, Water, Infusion of Certified Organic Herbs of Horsetail, Rose Hips, Lemon, Red Raspberry, Thyme, Certified Organic Aloe Vera, Behentrimonium Methosulfate (Colza Oil), Glycerin, Stearalkonium Chloride, Certified Organic Jojoba Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth 20, Lavender Oil, Certified Organic Sunflower Oil, Wheat Protein, Wheat Amino Acids, Tocopherol, Rice Protein, Lecithin, Panathenol, Chamomile Oil, Caprylic Acid, Glycine, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid

Kiss My Face Natural Styling Gel, Upper Management, Medium Hold
Certified Organic Water of Utrica Dioica, Caledndula Officinalis & Athemis Nobilis, Hyaluronic Acid, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate (Amino Acid derived), Faex, Pantehnol, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Citrus Grandis

Suave Naturals Fresh Mountain Strawberry Conditioner
Water (Aqua); Cetyl Alcohol; Tocopheryl Acetate [Vitamin E Acetate]; Strawberry(Fragaria Vesca) Juice, Cetrimonium Chloride; Potassium Chloride; Fragrance (Parfum); Distearyldimonium Chloride; Disodium EDTA; 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1-3Diol, Propylene Glycol; Methylisothiazolinone, Polysorbate 20, Methylchloroisothiazolinone; DMDM Hydantoin; Glycerin; D&C Red No. 33 (Cl 17200), D&C Orange No. 4 (CL 15510).No. 3 (Cl 42053).

AG [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink]
Aqueous Extracts of sage, nettle, chamomile, hops, rosemary, balm mint, yarrow, cherry bark, lemongrass and calendula, polyquanternium-55, Hydroxypropyl starch, cetyl alcohol, stearalkonium chloride, cetheareth-20, cetearyl alcohol, glycerin, corn starch modified, cetrimonium chloride, naPCA, Polyquaternium-10, Magnesium sulfate, silk amino acids, cocodimonum, hydroxypropyl hydroliyzed hair keratin, panthenol, tetrasodium edta, fragrance, methyl-chlorosothiazolinone, methylisouthiazolinone.

Thank you!!

Comments

• KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    Everything looks CG friendly to me. My other advice would be to make sure you scrub your scalp very well when you co-wash with your fingers (not nails). Also apply your products to very wet hair, which will minimize frizz. When you dry your hair, scrunch, don't rub, with the towel. And when it's drying, DO NOT touch it! Good luck! :D
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • BrioBrio Registered Users Posts: 1,432
    the Kiss My Face gel is great, but if you want to try a cheaper alternative you might like the Herbal Essences Body Envy. They both perform similarly on me, with the HE gel being a bit better, I think.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • curlyhedcurlyhed Registered Users Posts: 8
    Really? So this ingredient in the Kiss My Face conditioner is ok: Behentrimonium Methosulfate (Colza Oil)? I was afraid it was a not-allowed sulfate.

Thanks for the recommendation, Brio. I really like the Kiss My Face products because the more natural-ish ingredients keep my forehead from breaking out. How is the HE Body Envy gel against your skin?
  • BrioBrio Registered Users Posts: 1,432
    curlyhed wrote:
    Really? So this ingredient in the Kiss My Face conditioner is ok: Behentrimonium Methosulfate (Colza Oil)? I was afraid it was a not-allowed sulfate.

Thanks for the recommendation, Brio. I really like the Kiss My Face products because the more natural-ish ingredients keep my forehead from breaking out. How is the HE Body Envy gel against your skin?

I don't have any problem with the HE gel, but if I recall correctly, someone else posted that laureth-23 was a common irritant and that ingredient is pretty high on the list in this gel. The poster went on to say her back was irritated (or maybe broken out).

The Kiss My Face gel is really good. Love the smell, too.

The behentrimonium methosulfate is ok as far as I know. I think the sulfates to watch out for are the kind in shampoos, such as sodium lauryl sulfate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    curlyhed wrote:

This ingredient is a detangler not a cleanser, so it is actually good for your hair. All these ingredients get pretty confusing, don't they? :wink:
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • one way streetone way street Registered Users Posts: 772
    All of those look good to me, but the conditioner has a lot of protein, so you might want to watch out. If your hair gets brittle and dry after a while, you might have protien build up.
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii
    Fotki album and journal updated: 10/01/07
    password: springlet

Currently: Trying to stop straightening so much. Using Elucence conditioner and whatever works for me.
  • CelticCurlsCelticCurls Registered Users Posts: 558
    That's a great selection of products to give CG a trial run. I think you'll be fine with the condnr; the protein's pretty far down the list.
    3B, bra-strap length
    laidback, very-modified CGer
    HG: GF Sleek 'n Shine Leave-in; Alagio
    Bailey422 wrote:
    This ingredient is a detangler not a cleanser, so it is actually good for your hair. All these ingredients get pretty confusing, don't they? :wink:

Do they ever! I'm really crazy and knowledgeable about the ingredients in food (and have lost 60 lbs, as a result!). Now I just need to do the same with hair products!

Thanks for your help!
    AngieCurls wrote:
    All of those look good to me, but the conditioner has a lot of protein, so you might want to watch out. If your hair gets brittle and dry after a while, you might have protien build up.

Thanks for the heads-up! I will keep an eye out for protein issues. Thanks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file