Newbie Brazilian Blowout-shampoo question

acarricoacarrico Registered Users Posts: 60
So can someone briefly explain the issue with shampoo? Does it have to be sulfate free? Sodium Chloride free? I had my BB one week ago...I typically "wash" my hair with conditioner. I am feeling lost in chemistry land with this discussion of what shampoo to buy (I didn't get the shampoo offered by BB just because of budget issues...I had no idea how terrific my results would be so I didn't invest any more than I had too...you know the story - the product graveyards in our bathrooms cabinets...) So now I am trying to decide what to invest in to preserve these results. WOW!!!

Comments

• sarahcurly78sarahcurly78 Registered Users Posts: 15
    hey accarico-

the first time i got a BB i was confused about shampooing as well. i have been (or was before the BB) a CG since 2004 and i only used conditioner to wash.

i also used to leave conditioner in my hair at the end of my shower which is a no-no w/ a BB.

i think that you should get the BB shampoo. your hair will be getting much greasier much sooner than you are used to. the first time you wash you will feel weird, and want to leave conditioner in your hair. DON'T! wash and condition and resist the urge to put product in your wet hair. you won't need to.

make sure that ALL of the conditioner is out of your hair then air dry mostly. you will probably want to finish drying with a blow dryer and paddle brush.

good luck!
  • acarricoacarrico Registered Users Posts: 60
    Oh thanks so much. I have been wondering what to do now because my hair is SO different!!! I didn't know whether to leave the conditioner in or rinse out. And product? Now a mystery - I usually slather my head with a very heavy paste-like gel and then put gel on top of it which I later scrunch out. But I am at a loss now. I did let it dry naturally a couple of days ago and just put some gel in there (like only a nickel size - I used VERY little for my normal routine. Even when my hair is air-dried I can still put my hands in it...this is totally crazy to me. So your answer is very helpful. Any styling tips you can give are appreciated. How often do you use a straight iron? Is it really damaging to your hair? I am wondering how often I should be going straight as opposed to just letting it dry naturally...
  • CurltinaCurltina Registered Users Posts: 1
    Ok, I had mine done last saturday and I am confused as well. They are out of the shampoo right now, but I am going to get some as soon as it comes in. I have washed my hair with conditioner only, but I feel like it needs to be washed and I am going out of town and won't be able to get the shampoo before I leave. Is it the sodium chloride or the sulfates or what to avoid. They said use any sulfate-free shampoo, but every shampoo I look at, even the ones that say sulfate free, has sodium something or other in them or something that is considered a sulfate. I have the Biolage Gentle Care shampoo (it's fairly new) and it is supposed to be sulfate free, but there is still sodium whatevers listed in the ingredients. And what is the deal with not putting products in the hair wet? The girl that did my hair put products in before she did the final blowout. I tried to let it air dry with a little mousse and didn't like it. I tried to dry with a brush and just a little biosilk and didn't like that. So then I have had to flat iron it for the last 2 days (since I wet it last). I sweated and I really feel I need to do my hair tonight, but I have no idea what to do to it now.
    hey accarico-

the first time i got a BB i was confused about shampooing as well. i have been (or was before the BB) a CG since 2004 and i only used conditioner to wash.

i also used to leave conditioner in my hair at the end of my shower which is a no-no w/ a BB.

i think that you should get the BB shampoo. your hair will be getting much greasier much sooner than you are used to. the first time you wash you will feel weird, and want to leave conditioner in your hair. DON'T! wash and condition and resist the urge to put product in your wet hair. you won't need to.

make sure that ALL of the conditioner is out of your hair then air dry mostly. you will probably want to finish drying with a blow dryer and paddle brush.

good luck!
  • DimePiece17DimePiece17 Registered Users Posts: 521
    Play it safe. Just buy the shampoo and conditioner that came with your treatment. My stylist uses the Rejuvenol brand, which has sulfates but does not have sodium chloride. I think you should avoid both, only because sulfates can be drying and stripping of your natural hair's moisture. The sodium ( salt), will strip the treatment. I made the mistake of doing an overnight deep conditioner my hair with Shea Moisture deep moisture mask from target. This supposedly Organic line. Well I found out only days later that the friggen product had Ammonium salts as one of the main ingredients! In one use it washed out my bkt fully. as far as BTKs are concerned salts are the major culprits, but sulfates are just not good for your hair anyway.
    Beauty Tips for the Budgetista?
    Check me out on Youtube, Tumblr, FB, and Twitter!
    DimepieceonaDime-FB PAGE, Youtube Channel, and Tumblr
    Dimefabulous-Twitter name
    http://dimepieceonadime.tumblr.com/
  • morningstarmorningstar Registered Users Posts: 144 Curl Connoisseur
    I still remain confused about products and I have had keratin done three times. My first keratin was with Coppola (at Ulta), so I bought the Coppola shampoo and conditioner to go with it. Of course, you need to buy those huge bottles. I never cared for either the shampoo or condish, but used it because I was so afraid of washing out the keratin. Since that time I have experimented with others, but am not in love with anything I am using. I bought Pureology shampoo because most people seemed happy with it. I don't love it, but use it in my rotation when I feel like I need to get my hair cleaner. I have tried the Everpure line by Loreal and that is okay too. I like Deva no-poo the best at this point, but I am not even sure if that is absolutely the best with this treatment. So, I still am on the search for the best shampoo and conditioner with no sodium chloride.
    3B dark brown shoulder length
    Co-wash, Living Proof No frizz, Biolage Gel, Giovanni vitapro fusion leave in
  • DimePiece17DimePiece17 Registered Users Posts: 521
    I hear you....I just purchased Giovanni tea tree shampoo, but I'm kind of scared to use it. I don't see sodium chloride as any of the ingreidients, but lots of other sodiums are listed.....
    I wonder, is only sodium chloride salt?
    Beauty Tips for the Budgetista?
    Check me out on Youtube, Tumblr, FB, and Twitter!
    DimepieceonaDime-FB PAGE, Youtube Channel, and Tumblr
    Dimefabulous-Twitter name
    http://dimepieceonadime.tumblr.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file