Who else applies product AFTER plopping?

Just curious...

I started applying gel after plopping and seem to be getting better results (more curl formation/volume). Does that mean my hair is fine?

Who else does this/what results do you get?
:blob4:13 years of extreme hair damage. Started CG routine April 2010, no sulfates, no cones.
Mostly 2c , bits of 3a

*Products i'm currently using:
Wash- Chagrin Valley shampoo bars
Cowash- Suave Naturals coconut or Vo5 moisture milk
Rinse- ...currently looking for a good one!
Leave in- Tresemme Naturals moisture or Nature's Gate jojoba conditioner
Stylers- FOTE, Proclaim crystal ice, LA Looks sports gel, Plopping!

**Still experimenting looking for that perfect set of products.**

Comments

• stephycurlstephycurl Posts: 81Registered Users
    I apply my products after plopping too, for the same reasons you listed. I get more volume and better curls that way. If I ever plop with product in my hair, my curls seem to get squished down and form weird shapes.
    I never attributed this to having fine hair, but that might have something to do with it!
    CG since 02/10
    Fine, thick, 3a/2c mix, medium porosity
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    Condish/LI: Suave Naturals Coconut, GFTN
    Stylers: HESMU, LOOB, BRHG, FSG

Like: protein, protein, protein!!
    Dislike: mineral oil, eco-styler,

• LilycurlyLilycurly Posts: 55Registered Users
    I do that too, I guess it's because I also have fine hair and I find it works better.
    But it's also a case of me being cheap and not wanting all those expensive hair products to benefit the shirt I use to plop and scrunch...
    Free the Curls!
  • likethegumlikethegum Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I also apply mine after plopping - except for leave-in which I put in before. I find that my towel ends up with too much of my product rather than my hair if I put it in first! It seems that maybe it is a fine-hair thing...
    3b/3a - CG since 04-30-2009
    fine texture, med porosity
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Co-wash:
    GTTT, Live Clean, EO Sweet Orange
    Condish: Calia, AO Rosa Mosqueta/White Camellia/Honeysuckle Rose/Island Naturals/GPB, ABBA Pure Gentle, Desert Essence Shea Butter
    DT: Usually just use one of my richer conditioners, sometimes add oils or honey
    Gels: Homemade FSG!!!, Druide, BRHG, Alba Soft Hold Style Cream,
    AOMM

experimenting with: honey, agave, oils, butters, ACV, Curls Milkshake, more conditioners

• 1paperairplane1paperairplane Posts: 72Registered Users
    Oh yeah, me too! I've tried plopping with gel already in my hair several times, but then it takes forever to dry and it just looks gross afterward. I put leave-in and any sort of cream in my hair right into soaking wet hair, but then I need it to dry out a little bit so I plop and then put gel on later. I get great results this way, so I'm happy with it! Everyone on here always talks about putting all of their products in before plopping, so I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one who does it differently.
    :wink:
  • tendrillytendrilly Posts: 183Registered Users
    stephycurl wrote: »
    If I ever plop with product in my hair, my curls seem to get squished down and form weird shapes.
    I never attributed this to having fine hair, but that might have something to do with it!

This describes my hair also. I read another nc.com member once describe it as her hair needing to "find its curl" before she added the gel. Now my hair curls better and more naturally. I do what likethegum does: apply leave-in, plop, then later, after it has dried a while and "found its curl" then I carefully rake/smooth/scrunch in my gel.

I had never thought that it had something to do with us having fine hair! Interesting....:glasses9:
    Dry climate
    2C/3A, fine texture, high porosity, medium-low density

For me, desert climate+porous hair+CG=inconsistent results! :-(
  • CandipooxxCandipooxx Posts: 31Registered Users
    Katieloo wrote: »
    "Everyone on here always talks about putting all of their products in before plopping, so I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one who does it differently."
    :wink:

Exactly! This is the first time i've heard from girls on here about applying product after. Everyone speaks of applying before!

Im glad to see there are more of us! There seems to be a trend of 2c-3b's with fine hair having to do this. I suppose fine hair is weighed down more easily and can't "find it's curl", as tendrilly said, with tons of product on at the beginning.

I just bought some HE totally twisted mousse at the store today. Im about to try it out. Since mousse is lighter, i'm guessing it would help with a fine haired curly? Have any of you fine haired girls tried mousse? How did you feel about it?
    :blob4:13 years of extreme hair damage. Started CG routine April 2010, no sulfates, no cones.
    Mostly 2c , bits of 3a

• asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I do! I plop for about five minutes, add my products then plop again for about 10 minutes.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• CandipooxxCandipooxx Posts: 31Registered Users
    Ok, I DO NOT like the HE totally twisted mousse as the only product. I did my normal cowash, leave in, plopped for 25 mins, applied he tt mousse. My bangs are pretty with nice spirals but everything else is dry looking/frizzy, with no curl hardly! It's a stringy mess!
    Mostly 2c , bits of 3a

• plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    Interesting! I may have to try this next wash! I'm definitely a fine haired wavy and could use more help.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• melaniesusanmelaniesusan Posts: 948Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have fine hair but a lot of it, and am a 2B/3A depending on the dew point and what products I use.

I always apply leave-in/curl creme before plopping and then hard-hold gel after plopping. That's the only way I can get the gel to work for me.
    hair type: 2B/3A
    low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
    condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab
    winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
    summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CIAB + Curl Queen
    http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
  • LilycurlyLilycurly Posts: 55Registered Users
    The HE mousse works for me only when I put a small amount of it and diffuse upside down instead of hair-dry.
    Then it helps me get a lot of volume and hold.

But when I put too much, the curls get hard and crunchy and flat, go figure.
    So I use a bit of HE gel (or flax seed gel) and then a bit of mousse and all is perfect.
    Free the Curls!
  • xodevinxodevin Posts: 478Registered Users
    I towel scrunch, not plop, but I also apply my product after using the towel. (: Much better for me, and less drying time.
    curly hair and proud (:
  • CurlyToastCurlyToast Posts: 579Registered Users
    I have absurdly coarse hair and I get best results when I apply product after I blot with a t-shirt. I always assumed it had to do with a somewhat weaker curl pattern. Either way, my hair is definitely not fine, and I still benefit. :D
  • AZwavesAZwaves Posts: 64Registered Users
    Ploppin' has never worked for me but I do 1/2 & 1/2. Rake & scrunch in arc-angel, then towel, then scrunch in some lalsg :) :)
    CG restart: 5-14-10
    Type: 3a
    Deva low-poo & Tres. naturals for washing
    AOHR, One C
    La looks sports gel, arc-angel
    Diffusing is my friend!
    JCN&S
    http://s903.photobucket.com/albums/ac235/kimknuff1/Another%20cg%20restart%2005-10/
  • riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I used to do this with Angel when I had longer hair and it worked really well, but I tried it today with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] and while i did get a lot of curls, the pattern wasn't as uniform I like and I got a lot of crunch that will not scrunch out. I think I'll stick to plopping after putting the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] on. I seem to remember having to do that with Aubrey Organics B5 gel and the older formula of Biolage Gelee. Plopping before gel works better for me with light hold gels that have a lot of water in them. Thick gels need the water of my hair to help them disperse better.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
  • missbanjomissbanjo Posts: 3,088Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I usually plop with FSG & SSCEJ mixture then use BRHG or whatever hard hold I'm using atm later. It still has to be the wet side of damp though.
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
  • TeresinaTeresina Posts: 291Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't plop but I do put my hair in a t-shirt and wrap it up like a turban after I've applied my leave-in. I don't need to plop or fold my hair up like an accordian to encourage curl since I have a very strong curl pattern. I wrap up my hair because for me gel seems to work better this way plus it would take the entire day to dry if I put it in when my hair was soaking wet. It's usually only wrapped up this way for about 5 minutes or so while I get dressed before I apply my gel. Oh, and I have coarse, porous, dense hair. Visually, it looks like a combo of 3b, 3c and some 4a underneath at the nape of my neck.
    Teresina
    3b/3c/4a coarse, high porosity
  • greekgoddessgreekgoddess Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Oh I have the most awesome hair day today after doing this.

I conditioned my hair with VO5 Strawberries & Cream with a little Agave Nectar mixed in. I have been just rinsing with water on most days, and just using a conditioner as a co-wash, 1 a week.

Then I left in my leave in -- Elucence Moisture Benefits

Then I rake in my Alba Soft Styling Creme, and after that my homemade flax seed gel.

Then I Super Soak, and plop for 15 minutes.

After I plopped I scrunched in a little bit of EcoStyler gel. My hair is awesome, and absolutely no frizz.

I have been having some troubles with frizz lately.

This was great! Thanks for the great tip guys. I love this site!
    Long: Fine, low porosity 3b curls
    Shampoo: Suave clarifying 
    Low sulphate shampoo: Elucence Moisture benefits, Not Your Mother’s Curl defining 
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Pumpkin, Elucence Moisture balancing, GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave in: Curls Blueberry Bliss
    Cream: Amika Curl cream, Ag recoil
    Gel: Giovanni 
  • erinoirerinoir Posts: 25Registered Users
    I've tried to do this - I also have fine hair - but it seems like the gel is too sticky when my hair is soaking wet. Anybody have a fix for this?
    2a / 2b - fine hairs, lots of them
    Rinse-out: Suave Naturals Coconut ~ Leave-in: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Styling: EcoStyler! & the icequeen method ~ DT: Hask H&P or Monoi Oil
    Want to try: BotticelliBabe's FSG ~ Erinoir's CG Progress
  • melaniesusanmelaniesusan Posts: 948Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    erinoir wrote: »
    I've tried to do this - I also have fine hair - but it seems like the gel is too sticky when my hair is soaking wet. Anybody have a fix for this?

If I supersoak, I plop longer (30-45 minutes) to absorb the excess water. That way my hair isn't soaking wet when I apply gel. Then I put about a quarter-size amount of gel in my palm, emulsify it well across both palms and fingers, and then lightly scrunch it in on the bottom 2/3 of my hair. I use one hand per half of my head.

If I didn't plop, I would probably blot the excess water from my hair with the towel before adding gel.

Because I always use a leave-in or curl cream under my gel, the plopping helps it to soak in and gives the curls a chance to form. If I only applied a curl-enhancing gel and nothing else, I would probably blot and then apply the gel right away.
    hair type: 2B/3A
    low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
    condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab
    winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
    summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CIAB + Curl Queen
    http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
  • MrsOinARMrsOinAR Posts: 10Registered Users
    Oh thank you for putting this idea in my head! I'm having the best hair day ever today! Here's what I did:

co-wash, rinse out, rinsed upside down and then scrunched in tiny bit of leave-in....then with hair sopping wet (still upside down) scrunched in one pump of TIGI Curls Rock Amplifier (has cones, I'm dealing with it :)) then plopped for 5 minutes. After the plop, THEN I put in my gel - Tresemme bouncy curls. Did this part right side up. Clipped the roots for volume and let it air dry. After about two hours, I flipped upside down, took out clips and shot the diffuser at my roots for about one minute.

BEST HAIR EVER. Curls are defined, soft, and laying the way I want. When I put the gel on before plopping it seemed like the curls got smashed and stretched weird.

Maybe this is a fluke but I'm going to do it again tomorrow for sure!

p.s. I know I need to get a picture on here.
    Hair characteristics
    --normal porosity
    --fine to medium texture
    --average volume
    --curl pattern varies between wave and loose curl (2-3a)
    --not currently colored, getting highlights this weekend
    --growing out to shoulder-ish length
  • mamaherreramamaherrera Posts: 886Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Just a quick question. You say you on ly scrunch gel into the last 2/3 of your hair?? so do you not get any gel on the crown, upper part, and if not, do you not get frizz and how do you acquire hold on the top part of your curls?? If you do get gel on top, what method do you use to do that and when???

erinoir wrote: »

If I supersoak, I plop longer (30-45 minutes) to absorb the excess water. That way my hair isn't soaking wet when I apply gel. Then I put about a quarter-size amount of gel in my palm, emulsify it well across both palms and fingers, and then lightly scrunch it in on the bottom 2/3 of my hair. I use one hand per half of my head.

If I didn't plop, I would probably blot the excess water from my hair with the towel before adding gel.

Because I always use a leave-in or curl cream under my gel, the plopping helps it to soak in and gives the curls a chance to form. If I only applied a curl-enhancing gel and nothing else, I would probably blot and then apply the gel right away.
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
    can get weighed down with lots of oils
    Co-wash-trying giovanni wellness
    Rinse out: Garnier Body Boost, GVP
    Leave-in: none right now, maybe a touch of SM curling souffle
    Curl enhancer: AOMM and KCCC
    Gel: Kiss my face gel
    DT:Jessicurl
    Low Poo: abba pure and natural, Giovanni Wellness
    working on: getting rid of frizz from the get-go
  • mamaherreramamaherrera Posts: 886Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A quick question
    When you apply the gel when hair is drier, how do you not get frizz in those curls as it's drying without the gel to prevent frizzz? And how do you apply it with your hands without getting frizz since they say we're not suppose to mess with the hair when it's drier due to frizz?? I want to try this method, but I'm afraid obviously of the frizz.
    \

tendrilly wrote: »
    stephycurl wrote: »
    If I ever plop with product in my hair, my curls seem to get squished down and form weird shapes.

This describes my hair also. I read another nc.com member once describe it as her hair needing to "find its curl" before she added the gel. Now my hair curls better and more naturally. I do what likethegum does: apply leave-in, plop, then later, after it has dried a while and "found its curl" then I carefully rake/smooth/scrunch in my gel.

I had never thought that it had something to do with us having fine hair! Interesting....:glasses9:
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
    can get weighed down with lots of oils
    Co-wash-trying giovanni wellness
    Rinse out: Garnier Body Boost, GVP
    Leave-in: none right now, maybe a touch of SM curling souffle
    Curl enhancer: AOMM and KCCC
    Gel: Kiss my face gel
    DT:Jessicurl
    Low Poo: abba pure and natural, Giovanni Wellness
    working on: getting rid of frizz from the get-go
  • Sue9NanaSue9Nana Posts: 0Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I feel so much better about my method now of plopping and then applying gel. I actually mix a little curl cream and gel together with a bit of water in my palms as my styler. I do use a diffuser almost right away . Then I mist with a little leave in conditioner. It gives me much better volume and pretty curls. I went back to the hair stylist for second visit yesterday and she really shook up my confidence. Told me only apply to soaking wet hair to lock in the moisture. I feel like it's just a huge waste of the expensive product she sold me. Besides... My hair just looks weird. Back to my method. 😊

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file