New Pantene curls gel?

CurlieTopCurlieTop Posts: 345Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Anyone used the new Pantene Curls gel? I searched and found threads about the spray gel, but I'm interested in the tube one. I'm looking for a good drugstore replacement to my old faithful, the LA Looks Sport Gel, becuase the proteins have now begun drying out my hair :/ Let me know!
~ curlie top ~
2C in back, 3A in front, fine to medium texture
Last time I blow fried: Spring 2011
Last time I flat ironed: Fall 2010
Posting and You - A must watch

Comments

• SoficurlsSoficurls Posts: 177Registered Users
    CurlieTop wrote: »
    Anyone used the new Pantene Curls gel? I searched and found threads about the spray gel, but I'm interested in the tube one. I'm looking for a good drugstore replacement to my old faithful, the LA Looks Sport Gel, becuase the proteins have now begun drying out my hair :/ Let me know!
    Have you tried La Bella lots of curls? that one is pretty good and may have less protein than LALSG. It is only 1.89 at wallmart for a huge tub like the LALSG one. I have also been experimenting with ecostyler, and it is great. I used the clear one, and now I am using the pink one which has tea tree oil in it. Huge Huge tub for 2.99. I had a thread called "Ecostyler Krystal Gel. What a weird product" which has a bunch of pics of results.
    Also, I have about 5 gels that I use regularly. I just rotate them every day, or every two days, other wise some of them may dry my hair. SO I think investing in 2-3 not so expensive gels and rotating them could be a great idea.

Also! You could try using a more moisturizing leave in under your gel. I am currently using this AMAZING conditioner that has made a big difference with the summer frizz. I bought it for 77 cents at CVS but it is usually .99 cents. Alberto VO5 Kiwi lime. OMG you have got to try it.
    Soficurls:read2:3a, 3b
    Amo mis rizos y mis crespos!

http://public.fotki.com/sofiturna/
    CW SuaveCoconut
    C GarnierTripleNutrition
    DT VatikaCoconutOil
    Style Biotera Creme, LA sports gel, HETT Gel or mousse, a bit of honey with any of these!
    SuperSoak FlourSack TowelDiffuse and sometimes TT HairSpray!
  • stephycurlstephycurl Posts: 81Registered Users
    I read on someone's blog not so long ago that they liked the Pantene curls gel and had good results with it. I believe it has a 'cone in it (I think its water solluble) so I've never tried it myself.
    A lot of people also like the Herbal Essences gels here - body envy and set me up. They're cheap and available.
    CG since 02/10
    Fine, thick, 3a/2c mix, medium porosity
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    Condish/LI: Suave Naturals Coconut, GFTN
    Stylers: HESMU, LOOB, BRHG, FSG

Like: protein, protein, protein!!
    Dislike: mineral oil, eco-styler,

• paint_horse_milopaint_horse_milo Posts: 76Registered Users
    Ive been using the new Pantene Gel for about 2 weeks now. Its working ok, not any better or worse than my Tresemme. I seem to be going through a lot more than the Tresemme however.

I just ordered the Ouidad gel, cant wait to try that one out!
    3a/b medium porosity
    Modified CG Since 6/2010
    Lo-Poo: Organix Coconut Milk
    Co-Wash: VO5 Moisture Milks (sent varies) w/ Soy Milk Proteins
    Style: Leave-in KCKT, upside-down scrunch in Ouidad Tress FX Gel, Rudee's SS Method in shower, blot with t shirt, blow dry until about 30% dry (just gets the drip gone).
    Sleep: Satin sleep cap on satin pillowcase. Works great for even third day hair!

http://curlycowgirl.blogspot.com
  • 1paperairplane1paperairplane Posts: 72Registered Users
    yes! I liked it. I just ran out of it and I'm not using it anymore, but I did like it. It was a lot better than some of the stuff I've paid $15 or more for... But I think it's a great gel that does what it's supposed to.
  • tendrillytendrilly Posts: 183Registered Users
    I will be trying it once my supply of old Pantene Curls Gel is gone. They didn't mess with the ingredients list too much -- they just switched the order on a couple of them.

Old Pantene Curls gel:

Water, PVP, Laureth 23, Triisopropanolamine, VP/Dimethylaminoethylmethacrylate Copolymer, Carbomer, Methylparaben, DMDM Hydrantoin, PEG 12 Dimethicone, Propylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum), Panthenol, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Disodium EDTA

New Pantene Curls gel:

Water, PVP, Laureth 23, VP/Dimethylaminoethylmethacrylate Copolymer, Triisopropanolamine, Carbomer, Methylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin, PEG 12 Dimethicone, Fragrance, Propylparaben, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Panthenol, Disodium EDTA

It is worth a try!
    Dry climate
    2C/3A, fine texture, high porosity, medium-low density

For me, desert climate+porous hair+CG=inconsistent results! :-(
  • CurlieTopCurlieTop Posts: 345Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You all have been VERY helpful, thank you!!
    ~ curlie top ~
  • jlpmom23jlpmom23 Posts: 755Registered Users
    I picked this up on a whim a couple weeks ago and have played around w/ it a bit. It leaves me w/ zero frizz, and really well-formed curls. However, the hold is pretty weak. I typically hate layering products, but I might try a touch of LALSG over this and see what happens.

I also love the smell and find that it lingers, which is OK w/ me.
    Ok I bought the Pantene gel and tried it. It makes my finished hair SO soft compared to the LA Looks. But I agree, the hold isn't great and my hair was losing its shape and starting to frizz after some wind hit it.

SofiCurls I'm going to try all the gels you suggested. I actually don't live really close to a walmart but hopefully I'll run into that labella gel here, maybe at a dollar store!
    ~ curlie top ~
    Ok I bought the Pantene gel and tried it. It makes my finished hair SO soft compared to the LA Looks. But I agree, the hold isn't great and my hair was losing its shape and starting to frizz after some wind hit it.

SofiCurls I'm going to try all the gels you suggested. I actually don't live really close to a walmart but hopefully I'll run into that labella gel here, maybe at a dollar store!
    I have seen La bella at tomb thumb and Kroger, and some Alberstons.
    Also, have you tried mousse? My hair does not like them during the winter, but I am having lots of luck with them during the summer! Frizz free, moisturized curls that seriously last all day.
    I used the fructis mousse yesterday and was amazing :)
    Did you end up not liking the chamomille gel? That is a good rotation product and does not seem to dry my hair. If you get a change though, do try the Alberto Vo5 Kiwi Lime conditioner as a leave in. Quite amazing at moisturizing and protecting from drying :)

CW SuaveCoconut
    C GarnierTripleNutrition
    DT VatikaCoconutOil
    Style Biotera Creme, LA sports gel, HETT Gel or mousse, a bit of honey with any of these!
    Soficurls wrote: »

I have seen La bella at tomb thumb and Kroger, and some Alberstons.
    Also, have you tried mousse? My hair does not like them during the winter, but I am having lots of luck with them during the summer! Frizz free, moisturized curls that seriously last all day.
    I used the fructis mousse yesterday and was amazing :)
    Did you end up not liking the chamomille gel? That is a good rotation product and does not seem to dry my hair. If you get a change though, do try the Alberto Vo5 Kiwi Lime conditioner as a leave in. Quite amazing at moisturizing and protecting from drying :)

After using the chamomile gel for a week I found that it was really hard for me to scrunch out all of the crunch, so I'd always have some areas that were left too crunchy for my liking. But hey, it was only like $2.50 :) so it was definitely worth trying!

I bought the Kiwi Lime today at the dollar store, will try it out tomorrow morning :)
    ~ curlie top ~
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    I have to dig out my pantene curls gels. I used to looove the scent.

I have the labella lots of curls. I can't figure out for the life of me why my hair feels dry when I put it on.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
    I bought the ecostyler olive today. It is supposed to be amazing and to be soft on the hair. I will let you know how it worked. Let me know what you think about the kiwi conditioner

CW SuaveCoconut
    C GarnierTripleNutrition
    DT VatikaCoconutOil
    Soficurls wrote: »
    I bought the ecostyler olive today. It is supposed to be amazing and to be soft on the hair. I will let you know how it worked. Let me know what you think about the kiwi conditioner

haha we should be product buddies, we're always buying the same products :) (cheap ones!) will keep you posted :)
    ~ curlie top ~
  • momokenmomoken Posts: 5Registered Users
    In regards to hold. What I noticed that on the one I purchased is that it has extra hold written on it. Maybe they are different types with different holds so you may want to look on the tube you have. I just purchased mine but I haven't used it yet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file