We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Interesting experience

ebzonixebzonix Posts: 411Registered Users
So, about two weeks ago me and my friend (both natural curly heads) went to visit Carols Daughter. I have a co-worker who's caucasian and has pretty straight hair who has said she's had great experiences with Carols products, her only complaint were the scents. I'm not a fan of the VERY strong scents due to my allergies. Well when I went into the store located at the Westfield Mall, out in Culver City, CA, I was shocked to see no one that was working there with natural hair. That immediately turned me off and I didn't want to shop there anymore. Was I wrong? I mean, I've never used CD before and each member that was there had one of the following: Wig, weave, relaxer, or no hair. So I automatically felt that neither of these people would be able to tell me, honestly, how this product would work with my hair. I was looking forward to seeing someone with natural hair, who used the product and was able to give me some pointers on the product. But there was none. Again, do any of you curly ladies had this reaction?
Goals:
CBL Stretched: Reached! July '09
Full SL stretched: Reached, then trimmed off. Dec '09
Even, full NL unstretched

Comments

• goodbyegoodbye Posts: 79Registered Users
    Well, Carol's daughter isn't only for curly heads, if you look at their website it allows you to shop by hair type and it includes relaxed hair and those who use weaves. It would have been helpful if there was another curly girl there to assist you but it's cool taking hair advice from anyone with healthy hair and weaves/relaxed don't automatically count you out. Maybe one of the ladies could have had a curly friend/family member who used the product. Idk, it's all about your personal preference.
  • tuuttietuuttie Posts: 84Registered Users
    I don't know. Her products can used for both relaxed and natural hair. Before I went natural, I was using Carol's Daughter on my relaxed hair and even my the lady doing my hair at time was using it on her clients. I have only seen one natural working at Carol's Daughter in my hometown and I have never asked how the products worked on natural hair. I know how frustrating it is to go somewhere like (Sally's) and you need help and no one knows about products for natural hair, but I also can't ever expect that because there aren't too many naturals working in these places.
    Last relaxer: June 16, 2009
    First and LAST texturizer: September 30, 2009 :angry4:

BC 1: September 30, 2009 (Horrible!)
    BC 2: November 10, 2009
    BC 3: November 24, 2009

Hair Type: :dontknow:

I AM A PRODUCT JUNKIE! :happy10:

• msjaimmsjaim Posts: 948Registered Users
    nah, Ive never had that reaction because I don't dig it when folks prejudge me on my appearance.

If I understand correctly, carols daughter products are not just geared towards naturals or curly hair ladies/ men. I used her products yeeeears ago when she first came out & her site would reference its suitable for relaxed & natural, which make sense to me since shes trying to move units. their hair being relaxed or weaved up has no bearings on their knowledge of the product or their instructions on how one would use it. even if they were natural, they wouldn't be able to tell you how it would work on YOUR hair. for me , the same idea applies to naturals looking for stylist who's natural themselves. like a natural stylist wouldnt have the capability of tearing kinks up as well.
  • SoulfulSistaSoulfulSista Posts: 159Registered Users
    In my experience, the best place to get advice for how products will work on natural hair is right here on various hair forums. Lots of us are willing to chime in on our experiences. I know it's not the same as walking into a store and talking to someone face to face, but it's better than having a permie or someone who always wears a weave tell you how it's going to work for your natural tresses.

As far as CD, I always liked the healthy hair butter for my twists, but the scent sometimes is just too much. The loc butter isn't so bad for twists either.

Good luck to you.
  • Alice_42 Alice_42 Posts: 791Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'll be a little more hesitant if someone doesnt have a hair type like mine if they're trying to sell me something. I usually turn to blogs and hair boards instead because they're more honest (most of us don't get cuts for screaming xx is THE GREATEST THANG EVVAAAHHH!!!111) and I'm more likely to get results like theirs.
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • lisa6lisa6 Posts: 543Registered Users Curl Novice
    I use lots of products that aren't targeted specifically to curlies, so I personally wouldn't expect a CD store to give preferential employment to naturals. Maybe no natural has applied for employment there? Maybe a natural does work there, just not when you went? Maybe a natural was rocking one of those weaves/wigs that you speak of or flat-ironed her hair? Why assume the natural will know more? I'm just saying...

At any rate, I expect ALL employees to be able to answer basic questions about the products they're hired to sell, not just the ones that look like me or have the same hairstyle. I learned this long ago when a Black lady had me lookin' a hot a$$ mess at a make-up counter. She didn't know a dmn thing lol!
    comic-p.jpg
    4a fine, thin, high porosity
    Poo: SM Y&B, BT TT
    C: HE Reconditioning, Suave Almond and Shea
    DC: CJ CR, CJ RM
    LI: JC DT
    Curl Cream: RN BWCC, CJ CCCC
    Gel: CJ AFG
    Refresher: SM Thickening Mist, SM Y&A Milk, CJ CIAB
    Moisturizer: CJ SL, SM CES
  • peachfuzzzpeachfuzzz Posts: 113Registered Users
    I don't think it's fair to not want to buy the products because you didn't see a natural head in the store. Many ladies here use weaves/wigs as a form of protective styling. They may have also had a natural on a different shift. And even if they don't employ a natural, the employees aren't the ones who've researched to make the products appropriate for our hair. They are just sales reps. I think I'd ask the reps lots of questions to see if the products may benefit me, then I'd come back to NC and search for product reviews with that brand of product.
    Texture: Coarse?; Density: Med (?); Porosity(:confused3:?? Med-high); Wave pattern: 4B coils

Poo:
    Elucence MB
    Deep Condish: GVP Conditioning Balm Moisturizer: Qhemets Amla Olive HC:love5:
    Sealer: QB
    Aethiopika Hydrate & Twist (I use this as a styler too)
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Lock
    (rarely use)

event.png

event.png

• MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Posts: 2,568Registered Users
    msjaim wrote: »
    their hair being relaxed or weaved up has no bearings on their knowledge of the product or their instructions on how one would use it. even if they were natural, they wouldn't be able to tell you how it would work on YOUR hair. for me , the same idea applies to naturals looking for stylist who's natural themselves. like a natural stylist wouldnt have the capability of tearing kinks up as well.

This...except I'd be hesitant to use a stylist who wasn't natural or at least texted. Its not that I think he or she'd be incapable, I just don't care for it at this point. :afro:
    In my experience, the best place to get advice for how products will work on natural hair is right here on various hair forums.

and this.

I don't care for CD, but I had a similar experience when I tried her products 2 yrs ago and I thought it was odd then too. I knew her products could be used on anyone, but I felt like they were geared toward naturals. I don't even know why I thought that though :dontknow:
    comic-p.jpg
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    msjaim wrote: »
    their hair being relaxed or weaved up has no bearings on their knowledge of the product or their instructions on how one would use it. even if they were natural, they wouldn't be able to tell you how it would work on YOUR hair. for me , the same idea applies to naturals looking for stylist who's natural themselves. like a natural stylist wouldnt have the capability of tearing kinks up as well.

This...except I'd be hesitant to use a stylist who wasn't natural or at least texted. Its not that I think he or she'd be incapable, I just don't care for it at this point. :afro:
    In my experience, the best place to get advice for how products will work on natural hair is right here on various hair forums.

and this.

I don't care for CD, but I had a similar experience when I tried her products 2 yrs ago and I thought it was odd then too. I knew her products could be used on anyone, but I felt like they were geared toward naturals. I don't even know why I thought that though :dontknow:

Because Lisa Price is natural? I think in the beginning (way back in her kitchen) they were geared towards naturals (but I'm not sure)

I don't think it's fair to not want to shop at a CD store that doesn't have any naturals. Like someone said above, you don't know who does or doesn't work at the store...unless you camp out everyday at all hours and watch them. Even if there was a natural working there, whether she says something will work for your hair or not, it is still up to trial and error bec we all know not everyone's hair responds to the same product the same way
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • lashon20lashon20 Posts: 1,150Registered Users
    tuuttie wrote: »
    I don't know. Her products can used for both relaxed and natural hair. Before I went natural, I was using Carol's Daughter on my relaxed hair and even my the lady doing my hair at time was using it on her clients. I have only seen one natural working at Carol's Daughter in my hometown and I have never asked how the products worked on natural hair. I know how frustrating it is to go somewhere like (Sally's) and you need help and no one knows about products for natural hair, but I also can't ever expect that because there aren't too many naturals working in these places.

I agree I was using Carol's Daughter when I was relaxed also. I don't care whether the people working there are relaxed or not. I don't ask anyone working in a beauty store for any hair advice anyway cause usually they don't know anything. I remember one day when I was looking for a silicone free protein conditioner. I asked a lady in Trade Secret if they had any and she acted like she's never heard of conditioners being silicone free. I buy the product, take it home and try it out, if I don't like it then return it.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmynaturalhairjourney.shutterfly.com%2F" class="Popup

Shampoos: Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie
    Stylers: As I Am Smoothing Gel, Jane Carter Incredible Curls, Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter, Hairveda Whipped Gelly
    Moisturizers: Camille Rose Moisture Milk, Camille Rose Fresh Curl
    Leave-Ins: KBB Sweet Ambrosia
    Pomades: Hairveda Almond Glaze
  • Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    ebzonix wrote: »
    So, about two weeks ago me and my friend (both natural curly heads) went to visit Carols Daughter. I have a co-worker who's caucasian and has pretty straight hair who has said she's had great experiences with Carols products, her only complaint were the scents. I'm not a fan of the VERY strong scents due to my allergies. Well when I went into the store located at the Westfield Mall, out in Culver City, CA, I was shocked to see no one that was working there with natural hair. That immediately turned me off and I didn't want to shop there anymore. Was I wrong? I mean, I've never used CD before and each member that was there had one of the following: Wig, weave, relaxer, or no hair. So I automatically felt that neither of these people would be able to tell me, honestly, how this product would work with my hair. I was looking forward to seeing someone with natural hair, who used the product and was able to give me some pointers on the product. But there was none. Again, do any of you curly ladies had this reaction?
    It may have been the day you were there or maybe the naturals no longer work there. I remember when the one at Fox Hills first opened (I refuse to call it Westfield) and there was a girl with a natural TWA that was helping me and my friends.
    subbrock wrote: »
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
    Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

• EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No offense but yea...that's kinda messed up. Obviously they can't hire people based off of their hair type/texture. It would make sense if you didn't want them to recommend products to you b/c they didn't have hair like you; when I go to my BSS I don't ask the woman with straight hair what to use on my curly hair. Sometimes they offer advice but it's usually along the lines of, "I haven't used this, but a lot of women come in here and buy xyz..." which is fine to me. I usually research products online before I go to the store to look at them though.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • AmberBrownAmberBrown Posts: 1,072Registered Users
    Personally, if I go shopping anywhere and I need help I'm going to head towards the person that most resembles me and represents the needs that I want met. If that means going to the black chick with curly natural hair at the BSS or the dark complected employee at Sephora or the lady with big feet at the shoe store that's what I'm going to do lol screw PC.

It is very true that you can't "prejudge" people, for all you know the lady with the perm could've just gotten it yesterday and been natural her whole life previously. But you don't know and you can't know unless you're a mind reader. Go with the person who appears to hold the knowledge you need..if they turn out to be ignorant try someone else. No need to force yourself to go against your gut instinct to make anyone else feel better.
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    there are some natural people that STILL don't know what the hell they're talking about. so....
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
    amnisa08 wrote: »
    Personally, if I go shopping anywhere and I need help I'm going to head towards the person that most resembles me and represents the needs that I want met. If that means going to the black chick with curly natural hair at the BSS or the dark complected employee at Sephora or the lady with big feet at the shoe store that's what I'm going to do lol screw PC.

It is very true that you can't "prejudge" people, for all you know the lady with the perm could've just gotten it yesterday and been natural her whole life previously. But you don't know and you can't know unless you're a mind reader. Go with the person who appears to hold the knowledge you need..if they turn out to be ignorant try someone else. No need to force yourself to go against your gut instinct to make anyone else feel better.

lol basically! I don't understand this "not fair" business...when I was shopping at makeup counters, I always tried to get a black woman to help me...even better if she had a similar complexion. That's not fair?! Seriously?! Nah, that's my shopping preference as a consumer. If someone started a thread saying "CD is garbage! There are no naturals working at their stores!" That wouldn't be fair. Choosing where you want to shop based on the people helping you in a store, is just your preference.
    comic-p.jpg

lol basically! I don't understand this "not fair" business...when I was shopping at makeup counters, I always tried to get a black woman to help me...even better if she had a similar complexion. That's not fair?! Seriously?! Nah, that's my shopping preference as a consumer. If someone started a thread saying "CD is garbage! There are no naturals working at their stores!" That wouldn't be fair. Choosing where you want to shop based on the people helping you in a store, is just your preference.

Y'all know what though...by working in those stores they actually learn a lot about what works on different types of hair, not just their hair. I have the PERFECT example. The other day I was in the Aveda store and this woman with straight dyed (and kinda raggedy) hair was helping me, and I was asking her about products for curly hair...and of course she showed me their curl line, but also said a lot of curly haired women use the Confixor gel paired with the Curl Enhancer, and also showed me a few others that curlies used on dry hair. I didn't want the Enhancer b/c it had cones, and I don't style my hair when it's dry, but ended up getting the gel because she told me I could bring it back if I didn't like it. And it's awesome! I'd be kicking myself if I hadn't bought it b/c she didn't have hair like mine. When you work in these stores for HOURS a day, you have nothing to do but listen to customers thoughts and read about what each product is supposed to do. Also, a lot of the time the companies give their staff very detailed outlines for what a product is supposed to do, key ingredients, and suggest who should use it, that aren't given to the customer. Just wanted to relay because I was SO surprised to love this Aveda gel!
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ellepixie wrote: »

Y'all know what though...by working in those stores they actually learn a lot about what works on different types of hair, not just their hair. I have the PERFECT example. The other day I was in the Aveda store and this woman with straight dyed (and kinda raggedy) hair was helping me, and I was asking her about products for curly hair...and of course she showed me their curl line, but also said a lot of curly haired women use the Confixor gel paired with the Curl Enhancer, and also showed me a few others that curlies used on dry hair. I didn't want the Enhancer b/c it had cones, and I don't style my hair when it's dry, but ended up getting the gel because she told me I could bring it back if I didn't like it. And it's awesome! I'd be kicking myself if I hadn't bought it b/c she didn't have hair like mine. When you work in these stores for HOURS a day, you have nothing to do but listen to customers thoughts and read about what each product is supposed to do. Also, a lot of the time the companies give their staff very detailed outlines for what a product is supposed to do, key ingredients, and suggest who should use it, that aren't given to the customer. Just wanted to relay because I was SO surprised to love this Aveda gel!

Yeah, I agree that someone doesn't have to be natural to help me with my hair. I mean, the ppl that work in Sephora don't know d*ck (sorry but they are TERRIBLE!!!) but I still buy my face makeup there. I'm just saying if I go into a new store for a new hair product, it does turn me off if I don't see any naturals. I may buy it anyway (of course I can only rely on my own research and of course what works for one natural is not gonna work for all) but if I go in there to ask questions and weavie wonder comes out...unless she tells me she is natural under there...I'm gonna feel funny getting advice from her. Same goes for Permie Pat. Yay, maybe some of em are straight haired naturals, but I'm not psychic! I just think its funny that people are calling it "unfair." We all choose where we shop and what we buy. I guess we're all a bunch of meanies!
    comic-p.jpg
    ellepixie wrote: »

Yeah, I agree that someone doesn't have to be natural to help me with my hair. I mean, the ppl that work in Sephora don't know d*ck (sorry but they are TERRIBLE!!!) but I still buy my face makeup there. I'm just saying if I go into a new store for a new hair product, it does turn me off if I don't see any naturals. I may buy it anyway (of course I can only rely on my own research and of course what works for one natural is not gonna work for all) but if I go in there to ask questions and weavie wonder comes out...unless she tells me she is natural under there...I'm gonna feel funny getting advice from her. Same goes for Permie Pat. Yay, maybe some of em are straight haired naturals, but I'm not psychic! I just think its funny that people are calling it "unfair." We all choose where we shop and what we buy. I guess we're all a bunch of meanies!

Yea, MUCC, you're obviously a jerk. :glasses2: And LMAO at weavie wonder and permie pat!!!

I mean, it's not fair, but shoot, life isn't fair, lol! People can buy whatever they want for whatever reason they want; I just wanted to say maybe we shouldn't always pre-judge b/c we might miss out on something awesome. No matter where I go, the salesperson can suggest whatever they want to me, but what do I do? Go straight to the back of the bottle and read the ingredients, only half listening to their recommendations. Like I said in my story above, she also suggested the Curl Enhancer to me, but it had cones, so I was like no gracias!
    YouTube
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    I said it's not "fair" to dismiss a product soley because there are no naturals working at that ONE store. Now you can go patronize another store that has a natural or two in it. That's preference, but just because you go on a particular day and there are no naturals doesn't mean that CD should get the boot--especially if she has no say in who works where her products are sold--e.g. sephora

P.S.: I'm no fan of CD :)
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
    coilynapp wrote: »
    I said it's not "fair" to dismiss a product soley because there are no naturals working at that ONE store. Now you can go patronize another store that has a natural or two in it. That's preference, but just because you go on a particular day and there are no naturals doesn't mean that CD should get the boot--especially if she has no say in who works where her products are sold--e.g. sephora

P.S.: I'm no fan of CD :)

Oh I hear that. I def agree. I ditched CD b/c I didn't like the products. I did notice the non natural folks in the store and it was a turn off. But I bought the stuff anyway and it was a no go.
    comic-p.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file