We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Conditioner & Oil WNGs please share

Curly2dayCurly2day Posts: 47Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Calling all conditioner and Oil Wash n goers! Would you mind sharing your regimen and technique?

Do you WNG daily?

Does WNG consist of fully cowashing each time?

Do you Diffuse or air dry?

What conditioner/oil combo do you use?

Do you layer conditioner then oil or the reverse?

Do you apply in small sections or something different?

Do you have a layered haircut to achieve some sort of shape/style or not?

I am almost reluctant to ask this one but I am so curious:
Do you achieve a jheri curl look or have a technique to minimize this if you don't prefer it?

I cannot get this technique down for any kind of consistent result that I could actually proudly rock outside of the house. I am determined to get this to work during this summer. Any help would be soooo much appreciated!
4A, extremely fine, delicate and porous
Shampoo - Suave Naturals (only as needed)
Co-Wash - V05, Suave
DT - AO: WC, GPB, Swimmers, Blue Green Algae, HSR
Leave In - Giovanni 50/50
Moisturizer - conditioner, glycerin, H20, oils
Styler - not sure yet how or why? maybe Aussie Moist?
Ayurveda Staples - Amla, Brahmi, Nupur Henna

Comments

• misshoney26misshoney26 Posts: 14Registered Users
    Do you WNG daily? Just about. I try not to but I just can't get second day hair right yet

when I'm lazy/rushed just running a little water over my hair with my hands can do

Do you Diffuse or air dry? air dry

any conditioner I don't have a favorite yet, and any oil I don't have a favorite yet either. currently using olive.

conditioner then oil, but sometimes I have a feeling it would work better the other way around. will try one day

I just grab handfuls and rake through.

no, I wish I knew someone who could cut a nice shape, I have a mullet going on so I wear a ponytail.

Do you achieve a jheri curl look or have a technique to minimize this if you don't prefer it?
    when I use cone conditioners I do, but when I use non-cone conditioners it dries a lot softer.

• AmberBrownAmberBrown Posts: 1,072Registered Users
    Oh wow! I just started doing this a few days ago and was wondering if anyone else did it/had techniques--looking forward to the responses.

Do you WNG daily?
    For the past week, yes.

I'm not sure what you mean by "fully cowash"...but I saturate my hair with condish in the shower to make comb detangling easier. Then I rinse out.

I airdry..I'd never considered diffusing before but now I can't wait to try tomorrow!

The first few times I used HH Hello Hydration and castor oil. Today I used Giovanni Direct Leave In mixed with castor oil. I prefer the former combo.

Lol I've been mixing my condish and oil in a little bowl and applying them together. Saves on time.

I section my hair into fourths and just rake through. I have too much hair for that to be considered small sections though. I leave the hair in fat twists until I'm going out the door.

No shape, no style.

Hmm, when my hair is still wet and the condish hasn't absorbed yet it's more wavy than curly. As it dries it goes poofy and the shrinkage is...immense lol. I understand that's all apart of the natural game, but I was wondering if anyone with more experience could suggest a gel or something that would give it more weight or definition as it dries?
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    Do you WNG daily? no. out of sheer laziness i wet my hair as infrequently as possible. so i probably cowash every 3 or 4 days.

Does WNG consist of fully cowashing each time?no. for example, i just co washed today but i put my hair in a ponytail. tomorrow if i wanted to wear it down i would just wet it and skip actually "washing" it.

What conditioner/oil combo do you use? [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]elucence mb conditioner[/buylink] and either castor oil or a lighter oil blend

i never do oil first. either conditioner then oil or i mix them together in my hands and then apply.

Do you apply in small sections or something different? i tend to rake/smooth it through. i thin and fine hair, so small sections isn't really necssary for me.

Do you have a layered haircut to achieve some sort of shape/style or not? absolutely. i think the foundation of a great hair style is a great shape.

the use of gel is the wild card for me. [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] and ouidad climate control gel give me a straight up soul glo look. i never get jheri curl hair with only conditioner and oil. but gel or no gel, i always fluff my hair for a fuller look.
  • dc05dc05 Posts: 275Registered Users
    Not sure if I can answer,I don't technically do wash n go's but I wash and put my hair into a bun and I can take the bun down and wear my hair stretched. Either way I think the hair would look the same (if I did a wash n go, as far as shine frizz etc..) just with more shrinkage.

Do you WNG daily?

See Above.

Sometimes, when I wash n bun if I am lazy I might just re wet my hair out of the shower and put on products but I never do this with oil! Oil is always applied and left over night.

Air dry

Vo5/Coconut oil or Vo5/safflower/coconut oil

Left in overnight so that coconut oil can properly absorb into hair.

I do a honey rinse first, then I *seal* I guess in the honey with coconut or the safflower oil and then I put the conditioner in on top of that. My hair is medium-coarse. If you have fine hair I would recommend mixing the oil and conditoner before hand. My hair loves oils and doesnt weight down easily.

Part hair half up half down. Put top in pony tail. Apply palm full amount of oil on each part. Then Apply conditioner. Brush through with denman to distribute evenly.

If you have fine hair, use a really small amount of oil so that your hair does not get stringy. Coconut oil; a little goes a long way. In fact this might be best, because if you leave it in over night the night before you do your wash n gos most of it will have absorbed into your hair shaft and therefore your hair will not be oily/stringly and weighed down. I think this happens when the oil just sits on your hair.

And also I always always rinse in the morning very thoroughly!
    :blob8:24 Months Post Relaxer :blob8:

*Length : BSB (Below Shoulder Blade)/ Brastrap Length
    *Long term goal: TB length (stretched of course)
    *Short tern goal: Mid-back length (stretched -- by June 2011) / Shoulder length (FULL) curly:glasses2:
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    ok so tried this conditioner and oil wash last night. I cowashed with HE Hydralicious, then I rinsed that out, added Elucence MBC throughout my hair ,and sealed it in with Hairvedas Cocasta oil, squeezed out the excess and shook my head lightly.

Well in most places my hair looks like I added my usual gel , but in some places I have a lot of frizz, I dont mind. Its a different though. The only down side to this is Id have to cowash again tonight. My hair is a little shiny to the touch, if I try next time I will put the oil on first and then the conditioner.
  • Curly2dayCurly2day Posts: 47Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You ladies helped confirm some of my thoughts/findings. I have discovered that my fine hair prefers my mixing the conditioner and oil first before applying in sections. I have not been able to figure out if smaller sections or bigger sections work best yet.

Seems like a lot of work to do every day though. I guess most do the WNG in the morning just prior to leaving the house, right? Thanks for responses.
    Co-Wash - V05, Suave
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users
    Do you WNG daily? i co-wash daily and wet bun

Does WNG consist of fully cowashing each time? yes, i fully co-wash each time i do it (since i use some gel for my wet bun)

What conditioner/oil combo do you use? conditioners in siggie + castor or olive mixed into conditioner

Do you layer conditioner then oil or the reverse? never, oil doesn't absorb into my hair by itself. oil works better for my hair rinsed out.

Do you apply in small sections or something different? i apply everything in 2 sections (front and back, my ears are the dividing line)

Do you have a layered haircut to achieve some sort of shape/style or not? no haircut/style

I am almost reluctant to ask this one but I am so curious: Do you achieve a jheri curl look or have a technique to minimize this if you don't prefer it? my hair is a little pass shoulder length stretched. i get the dreaded jheri curl look if i use gel now :(

when my hair was a twa, i used to apply gel in sections. the longer my hair grew, the more sections i needed or i would have gigantic clumps of curls. this wasn't cute! finally, it just got to be too much work.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kurlegurlkurlegurl Posts: 17Registered Users
    Do you WNG daily? Yes, Since my BC last week!

Does WNG consist of fully cowashing each time? It depends on if I added gel to the front of my hair where my headband is...but a thorough rinse and a little condish, comb through and rinse!

Do you Diffuse or air dry? Air Dry

What conditioner/oil combo do you use? Lustrasilk Shea and Mango Condish/ Coconut Oil

Do you layer conditioner then oil or the reverse? A good amount of condish to saturate my hair, and oil to seal, dont comb thru, just run my fingers through my hair to get oil through.

Do you apply in small sections or something different? I do semi sections, no parting, just apply condish in sections, and oil throughout combing through with my fingers, no sectioning for this though

Do you have a layered haircut to achieve some sort of shape/style or not? When I went to the salon to do my BC, she cut the back a little shorter, but yesterday I tried a twistout and realized that she left a lot more relaxer on my ends so I cut it off, now I have a real TWA!

Do you achieve a jheri curl look or have a technique to minimize this if you don't prefer it? The sections of my hair with 3C curls tends to look jheri curlish while its still really wet, but once my whole head is dry I get a really nice balance of definition and frizz, and I love it!

HTH!
  • Chickied614Chickied614 Posts: 32Registered Users
    I just started doing WNGs now that my hair is longer and i can shake it so i'm still experimenting but the first time i did it it worked wonderfully!

Do you WNG daily? No so far i'm at least able to get second day hair :) so maybe every 2-3 days

Does WNG consist of fully cowashing each time? The first day yes the second day i just rinse my hair a little shake a bit and style :)

Do you Diffuse or air dry? air dry and surprisingly i don't have a lot of shrinkage

What conditioner/oil combo do you use? I first cowashed with my sauva naturals and then put my leave in on but i think that just causes too much frizz. now i'm going to try just cowashing with my leave in and leave my leave in on apply castor oil and sweet almond oil mostly on my ends and then rake through the oil and then some olive oil eco styler gel and shake a bit and done!!

Do you layer conditioner then oil or the reverse? i've only done it conditioner first and then oil my hair stayed moisturized for two days so far

Do you apply in small sections or something different? I just take a quarter size of gel and gently rake through in the back and then another quarter size amount to rake through the front as if i'm finger detangling and scrunch a lil and then shake and this worked amazingly :)

Do you have a layered haircut to achieve some sort of shape/style or not? no ma'am

Do you achieve a jheri curl look or have a technique to minimize this if you don't prefer it? Well due to my hair texture i think it would be impossible for me to achieve the jerri curl look but my technique seems to define enough and frizz enough to the point that i love it but i'll keep experimenting!

HTH! Let us know what your successful process is!
  • Curly2dayCurly2day Posts: 47Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Well curiously enough, the one and only time I achieved WNG success was when I left the house with the stringies/drippies. It was in the middle of the summer and I honestly thought that I had put too much oil in as my hair was stringy and I could not achieve any height without clipping the top up with pins in the front. Honestly, I was skeptical about how it would look later though I generally liked how it looked as it began to dry so that is why I wore it outside.

That still was the ONLY time I have achieved a nice WNG. When I tell you I hated to take that down for the night. . .it broke my heart. I just couldn't stop looking at it as I could not believe that it was my hair. My best guess is that I had used 50:50 as a leave in and had EO rosemary/mint on top with avocado oil likely. I don't think this was day one either. I think I wet my hair and added EO on top of the previous day or two worth of products. I know I did not use gel either. I would gladly co-wash daily if I could manage to do this consistently.

I have no idea what I did that day but I do know that it was stringy sight when I had it shaped and I stopped touching it. I thought achieving "stringy" was how you knew the curls were set, according to Terri that is. . .

The only 2 times that my Mom has told me my hair looked nice over the years was 1) that infamous WNG and 2) a while back when I finger curled my hair with conditioner/oil/setting lotion concoction. Hmmm, I really need to buy Teri's book!
    Co-Wash - V05, Suave

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file