CurlTalk

Suave Naturals vs VO5 Moisture Milk

Curly2dayCurly2day Posts: 47Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Which do you prefer? I am trying to give up Aussie Moist due to the silicone but I have yet to find anything to melt the tangles better for me. I cannot use the HE products either.

I felt that the VO5 was thicker and more moisturizing, but I disliked the propylene glycol in it.

Does anyone ever leave any of these conditioners in or do you always rinse them out?
4A, extremely fine, delicate and porous
Shampoo - Suave Naturals (only as needed)
Co-Wash - V05, Suave
DT - AO: WC, GPB, Swimmers, Blue Green Algae, HSR
Leave In - Giovanni 50/50
Moisturizer - conditioner, glycerin, H20, oils
Styler - not sure yet how or why? maybe Aussie Moist?
Ayurveda Staples - Amla, Brahmi, Nupur Henna

Comments

• CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    Whats wrong with propylene glycol?

I use the Vo5 conditioners because they have scents that I like and I find them more moisturizing than the suave. I may try that new shea butter one though. But what are the negatives of propylene glycol?
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users
    there are a lot of scare tactics surrounding propylene glycol. i think there are some post here from ncc who is an actual chemist.

i like both conditioners for cowashing :)
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MrsComboCurlzMrsComboCurlz Posts: 625Registered Users
    I use to luv Vo5 Hair Milks as a co-wash but I switched & purchased the Suave Naturals one day (sale @ Rite-Aid) & I find I'm liking it much better than the Vo5...leaves my hair softer & much easier to detangle (so far so good):happy7:
    *Cleanse: BoBeam, Giovanni Tea-Tree
    *Rinse Cond: Herbal Essence HH
    *Deep Cond: Deity America (green tub), CRN Algae Hair Mask
    *Leave-in's: Soultanicals, Pura Body Naturals, Alikay Naturals Lemon-grass spritz
    *Twisting: Obia Naturals TWB, PBN Cupuacu Butter, Camille Rose
    *Treatment: Henna/Amla/Cassia/Brahmi
    * LCSO Method
  • NaturallyNikéNaturallyNiké Posts: 364Registered Users
    I love Moisture Milks way better, especially as a leave in....
    Niké (Nee-Kay):nike:

My world of curls
    2hchy5z.jpg3C/4A,Fine-Meduim,Thick, Lo Porosity

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Flilnicka4u2nv%2F" class="Popup

Leave-in/Moisturizer: Giovanni Direct Leave in
    Sealants:EVOO, JBCO, Crisco
    DC:Matrix Condtioning Balm,Giovanni SAS,Honey, Glycerin
    Shampoo:Dr.Bronner's Castile soap bar
    Styler: Flaxseed,DM Miracurl, SheaMoist Smoothie, OYH S&D
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    There is a silicone free Aussie Moist. I think it has a white cap and the one with silicone has a purple top...or it could be the other way.
    Curly2day wrote: »
    Which do you prefer? I am trying to give up Aussie Moist due to the silicone but I have yet to find anything to melt the tangles better for me. I cannot use the HE products either.

I felt that the VO5 was thicker and more moisturizing, but I disliked the propylene glycol in it.

Does anyone ever leave any of these conditioners in or do you always rinse them out?
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • beetle87beetle87 Posts: 136Registered Users
    Windflower wrote: »
    There is a silicone free Aussie Moist. I think it has a white cap and the one with silicone has a purple top...or it could be the other way.

The purple pump/cap is a shampoo and the white one is a conditioner.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alice_42 Alice_42 Posts: 791Registered Users
    Vo5>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Suave.
    Suave did NOTHING for me. Except for the Apple one, which I havent seen on the stores forever :(
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • coshun2003coshun2003 Posts: 199Registered Users
    I love the Suave Coconut Conditioner!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :love1:3c/4a Hair
    Last Relaxer: April 25, 2009
    BC: December 20, 2009
    5yrs Natural
    2nd BC planned for 6yr Naturalversary
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    That is odd...oh...oops...maybe I am thinking of 3 Minute Miracle. There are two versions of that one because I almost bought the silicone free one.
    beetle87 wrote: »
    Windflower wrote: »

The purple pump/cap is a shampoo and the white one is a conditioner.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • QVCDivaQVCDiva Posts: 1,329Registered Users
    Suave did nothing for my hair. Love VO5!
    Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
    BC: 01/30/09
    Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FQVCDiva%2F" class="Popup
  • Curly2dayCurly2day Posts: 47Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CocoT wrote: »

I use the Vo5 conditioners because they have scents that I like and I find them more moisturizing than the suave. I may try that new shea butter one though. But what are the negatives of propylene glycol?

I have been trying to use more so called, 'natural' products but actually, PG in low concentrations within cosmetics, hair products etc. should be okay. /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.buzzle.com%2Farticles%2Fpropylene-glycol-dangers.html" class="Popup There are many, many more articles regarding pros/cons of propylene glycol use.

Propylene glycol serves as humectant within hair care products such as conditioners. I have noticed over the years that my hair 'grows' ( I guess retains) like nobody's business when I use products that include this ingredient. The VO5 was definitely more moisturizing for me than the Suave also. Guess I just made my case for VO5. I tried it yesterday and it still doesn't detangle like Aussie Moist but it did a better job than Suave which I usually have to still follow with an Aussie Moist wash/rinse. I need to reduce the number of products that I use. Simplify!

Now, VO5 just doesn't seem rich enough to leave in alone though . . . I will try this next and report back.

Thanks!
    Co-Wash - V05, Suave
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    I used Vo5 passion fruit smoothie as a leave in a few days ago when I installed my micro twists and it made my hair feel nice underneath my gel. Not bad.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • CityGirl81CityGirl81 Posts: 418Registered Users
    I use both for cowashing. Don't make me choose...LOL
  • QVCDivaQVCDiva Posts: 1,329Registered Users
    I use VO5. I'm another that Suave did nothing for my hair. I always had to follow it with something else.
    Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
    BC: 01/30/09
    Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FQVCDiva%2F" class="Popup
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    i like them both, but i only use them for co-washing.. and ive used other more moisturizing conditioners instead but this just is the best. Not too fond of the coconut scent everyone loves by Suave so i got strawberry. Suave is my favorite right now.

I dont feel like i can use them alone as my regular conditioner but as a cowash its loosens up my knots enough so that when i actually condition after they comb right out. & its light enough to cleanse with.. this is the reason i havent gone with fully natural products because as long as i co-wash this is the best bet.

A great cheap & moisturizing conditioner i like though is Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle.. i bought this for a co-wash but its TOO moisturizing, makes a great regular conditioner & its silicone free of course. I find that its texture is similar to that of Kinky Curly Knot Today & Tresemme Naturals (which is also a great cheap alternative)

I dont leave in any of these conditioners anymore because i dont like how they coat and sit on my hair instead of actually sinking in like oils and moisturizers do. I was leaving in the tresemme naturals for a minute though with great results. Id mix it w. a lil evoo..
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Posts: 626Registered Users
    I live in a dry area and try to avoid humectants, I prefer Sauve Coconut, I think its thicker as well, but both are $1 so you cant go wrong trying them both out.
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
    Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
    LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
    Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users

Have you tried Tresemme Naturals or Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Fortifying Cream Conditioner ? Both are silicone free and are good detanglers..provide good slip. And I find the GF to be richer than Suave or VO5. The Tresemme... it's not super thick but it's a good consistency..not to thick or thin..and I don't know the stuff just works amazingly in my hair. People say it's almost as good as the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Kinky Curly Knot Today[/buylink] stuff that is so popular and around the same consistency.

I have left both Suave Naturals and VO5 in my hair as leave ins before..they weren't horrible..but I just find they are better for rinse outs..to use as a co-wash basically and they work good as "combing conditoners" in the shower..just to work out tangles then rinse out.

But I will say the Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut is pretty awesome as a leave in and so is Suave Mountain Strawberry and the Wild Cherry.. I just don't use them that way anymore since I found GF and TN that I mentioned above.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    Have you tried Tresemme Naturals or Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Fortifying Cream Conditioner ? Both are silicone free and are good detanglers..provide good slip. And I find the GF to be richer than Suave or VO5. The Tresemme... it's not super thick but it's a good consistency..not to thick or thin..and I don't know the stuff just works amazingly in my hair. People say it's almost as good as the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Kinky Curly Knot Today[/buylink] stuff that is so popular and around the same consistency.

I have left both Suave Naturals and VO5 in my hair as leave ins before..they weren't horrible..but I just find they are better for rinse outs..to use as a co-wash basically and they work good as "combing conditoners" in the shower..just to work out tangles then rinse out.

But I will say the Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut is pretty awesome as a leave in and so is Suave Mountain Strawberry and the Wild Cherry.. I just don't use them that way anymore since I found GF and TN that I mentioned above.

That tresemme naturals is amazingly awesome for some reason.. i bought it as a leave in, liked it better as a rinse out and randomly used it as a DT last time i straightened. O.M.G. my hair was SO soft and shiny! Idk what it is abt that stuff..

I agree about the suave, they arent really good as stand alone conditioners, better as combing conditioners & cowashes. I have the strawberry, Ive tried the tresemme as a cowash but im finding that i dont like more moisturizing or "better quality" conditioners as cowashes because my hair dosent feel "clean" so like it better as a regular conditioner. Its niceeeee :thumright:
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • maysaymaysay Posts: 218Registered Users
    I like V05 over suave. I think it was the consistency of the suave that I didn't like. I also like the scents of the V05 better.

• Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    Suave naturals coconut
    subbrock wrote: »
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
    Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

• EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users
    I like the Moisture Milk, especially in the Strawberries and Cream scent - AMAZING smell! Suave is okay, very light. However, Tresemme Naturals kicks both condishes butts, at least for me. It's also an awesome deep conditioner.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    I was SO excited about the Tresemme Naturals line, I thought now This is going to be my cheapy, HG co-wash and leave in conditioner. Not so much. . I unfortunately developed a terrible rash with little patches all over my hairline, neck etc. It took a couple of weeks to clear up. Apparently I am allergic to something in this. I loved the thickness and richness of the TN condish but my skin/hair hated it. So many ladies love this, why can't I use it?! :dontknow:
    Co-Wash - V05, Suave
    CocoT wrote: »

I have been trying to use more so called, 'natural' products but actually, PG in low concentrations within cosmetics, hair products etc. should be okay. /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.buzzle.com%2Farticles%2Fpropylene-glycol-dangers.html" class="Popup There are many, many more articles regarding pros/cons of propylene glycol use.

Propylene glycol serves as humectant within hair care products such as conditioners. I have noticed over the years that my hair 'grows' ( I guess retains) like nobody's business when I use products that include this ingredient. The VO5 was definitely more moisturizing for me than the Suave also. Guess I just made my case for VO5. I tried it yesterday and it still doesn't detangle like Aussie Moist but it did a better job than Suave which I usually have to still follow with an Aussie Moist wash/rinse. I need to reduce the number of products that I use. Simplify!

Now, VO5 just doesn't seem rich enough to leave in alone though . . . I will try this next and report back.

Thanks!

More on propylene glycol:
    Along with other glycols and glycerol, this is a humectant or humidifying and delivery ingredient used in cosmetics. There are Web sites and spam e-mails stating that propylene glycol is really industrial antifreeze and that it is the major ingredient in brake and hydraulic fluids. These sites also state that tests show it is a strong skin irritant. They further point out that the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) on propylene glycol warns users to avoid skin contact because systemically (in the body) it can cause liver abnormalities and kidney damage. As ominous as this sounds, it is so far from the reality of cosmetic formulations that almost none of it holds any water or poses real concern. It is important to realize that the MSDS sheets are talking about 100% concentrations of a substance. Even water and salt have frightening comments regarding their safety according to their MSDSs. In cosmetics, propylene glycol is used only in the smallest amounts to keep products from melting in high heat or freezing when it is cold. It also helps active ingredients penetrate the skin. In the minute amounts used in cosmetics, it is not a concern in the least. Women are not suffering from liver problems because of propylene glycol in cosmetics. And finally, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, within the Public Health Services Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, “studies have not shown these chemicals [propylene or the other glycols as used in cosmetics] to be carcinogens” (Source: www.atsdr.cdc.gov).
    Co-Wash - V05, Suave

I cannot use the Tresemme (broke me out terribly) and I just checked the Garnier. Unfortunately it contains behentrimonium chloride which I have discovered thru trial and error, my hair hates. I tried the Suave Coconut but no go. I'll check out the ingredients on the Mountain Strawberry and the Wild Cherry and perhaps give them a try. Thanks!

I may have to be happy with the G 50:50 but that stuff is little bit expensive. It's also not thick/rich enough alone during the summer. I may make my way over to the EO thread. I have had some sporadic success with the rosemary mint. I just don't want to go back to the Aussie Moist if I can help it. Thanks again!
    Co-Wash - V05, Suave
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    Having tried both I'd say I am a Suave girl for now (Tangerine formula), but I just got myself a bottle of the Tresseme Naturals Raspberry condish so we'll see which one is my preferred one after I try it. And in the Suave line I like the Tangerine better than the Coconut condish (and I'm a coconut junkie). The coconut formula was drying for me. Not sure why.

I also thought the Suave was much thicker and richer than the V05 which was way too watery for me, and had almost no slip. I don't even know why they call it conditioner.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users
    I was SO excited about the Tresemme Naturals line, I thought now This is going to be my cheapy, HG co-wash and leave in conditioner. Not so much. . I unfortunately developed a terrible rash with little patches all over my hairline, neck etc. It took a couple of weeks to clear up. Apparently I am allergic to something in this. I loved the thickness and richness of the TN condish but my skin/hair hated it. So many ladies love this, why can't I use it?! :dontknow:

Awww, that sucks you were allergic to it. :(
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users

I cannot use the Tresemme (broke me out terribly) and I just checked the Garnier. Unfortunately it contains behentrimonium chloride which I have discovered thru trial and error, my hair hates. I tried the Suave Coconut but no go. I'll check out the ingredients on the Mountain Strawberry and the Wild Cherry and perhaps give them a try. Thanks!

I may have to be happy with the G 50:50 but that stuff is little bit expensive. It's also not thick/rich enough alone during the summer. I may make my way over to the EO thread. I have had some sporadic success with the rosemary mint. I just don't want to go back to the Aussie Moist if I can help it. Thanks again!
    if you have a marshall's, tj maxx or ross in your area, check there for the giovanni 50:50. they have liter bottles for $12.99 :happy7:
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    hippychic wrote: »

if you have a marshall's, tj maxx or ross in your area, check there for the giovanni 50:50. they have liter bottles for $12.99 :happy7:

I am constantly on the hunt at these stores but have yet to score one of these liter bottles as of yet. I have seen the "Smooth as Silk" but not the 50:50. I'll have to keep making the rounds on the regular until I can snag a few bottles. I still need something else on top though, especially in the summer as I live in FL. But first things first!
    Co-Wash - V05, Suave
  • Sandy CoilsSandy Coils Posts: 662Registered Users
    coshun2003 wrote: »
    I love the Suave Coconut Conditioner!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ditto!!!! That is my HG co-wash condish. Sometimes I leave it in too, and because it's somewhat thick, it works for me. VO5 is a little too thin for me. With that being said, I like to use VO5 to get the henna out of my hair when I do a henna treatment. VO5 is thin enough for me to work it through then henna in my hair and help to rinse it out faster.

I also love Giovanni Smooth as Silk. Today was the first day I left it in and I love it. my hair isn't the least bit crunch and it feels really soft.
    My Fotki

My Blog - A Day in the Life

Products:
    EVOO
    HEHH
    TresEmme Curl Moisture Conditioner
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Let's Jam

Hair Type: Kinky Coily

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]
  • curlykeycurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users
    hippychic wrote: »

I am constantly on the hunt at these stores but have yet to score one of these liter bottles as of yet. I have seen the "Smooth as Silk" but not the 50:50. I'll have to keep making the rounds on the regular until I can snag a few bottles. I still need something else on top though, especially in the summer as I live in FL. But first things first!

If you don't mind ordering online, go to massagewarehouse.com and they sell the liters of Giovanni products there. HTH. Also, have you tried the smooth as silk one? It is thicker.
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066