A few questions about the future...

moodydovemoodydove Registered Users Posts: 1,721
Hi guys, now that I've cut off those ends, I have a few questions for the wise elders. =) 1. For anyone with long hair, or hair that is significantly longer than it used to be: Is it harder for your hair to stay moisturized with the additional surface area? Did anything else become more difficult with length? How did you adapt to those change? 2. My hair gets big, but it doesn't grow up. More like sideways, lol. The bottom half of my head does grow down, but as you go up, it gets progressively more sideways. Any of you get this, and did it eventually fall? 3. Kind of related to the last question, but how do I get the crown to stay up? I can manipulate it to do that, but once I move...*droop* You guys don't have to answer all of these, by the way. Thanks!
Big chop: 5/30/10
CG, clarify with Aveda Brilliant Shampoo when needed
Dense, medium-fine strands, lowish porosity. Avoiding glycerin outside the shower.
Cowash:Suave Coconut Conditioner.
Leave in: YtCucumbers and EVOO
Styling Products: Flaxseed gel, Phillip B Soft Hold Gel, KMF Upper Management Gel
DC: Doctored GVP or Suave conditioner
Cleanser: Bentonite clay

Comments

• maysaymaysay Registered Users Posts: 218
    My hair ranges from 12-13 inches, it's not long but it's the longest I've been.

1. For anyone with long hair, or hair that is significantly longer than it used to be: Is it harder for your hair to stay moisturized with the additional surface area?
    No, I don't find that it's harder for my hair to stay moisturized. I do find that sometimes my ends can get drier than the rest of my hair (probably because they're older) so I have to make sure not to skimp on conditioner and maybe leave it on a little longer.
    Did anything else become more difficult with length?
    Detangling/deshedding. The longer the strands, the more tangles/knots they can create.
    How did you adapt to those change?
    I had to start washing in braids/twists (which I'm still lazy about sometimes). Also had to become really conscious of being gentle and detangling thoroughly and often (which I'm still sometimes lazy about).
    2. My hair gets big, but it doesn't grow up. More like sideways, lol. The bottom half of my head does grow down, but as you go up, it gets progressively more sideways. Any of you get this, and did it eventually fall?
    My hair kind of grows out. Hasn't fallen yet. It only falls when I style it in certain ways (with heavy products).
    3. Kind of related to the last question, but how do I get the crown to stay up? I can manipulate it to do that, but once I move...*droop* You guys don't have to answer all of these, by the way. Thanks!
    My hair grows out so I don't generally have that problem...but bantu knot outs help me get height in the crown.

• goodbyegoodbye Registered Users Posts: 79
    My hair is a little longer than arm pit length. Longest my hair has ever been.

1. Is it harder for your hair to stay moisturized with the additional surface area?

No. But like maysay, my ends tend to get drier than the rest of my hair so I pay close attention to them.

Did anything else become more difficult with length?

Honestly, as long as I make sure not to put off detangling more than a week I'm good, I have no problems.

How did you adapt to those change?
    In the beginning I would detangle in two sections, now I detangle in four. Same for washing.

My hair has not dropped yet and it grows out with the exception of the back of my hair. I can make it drop more depending on the thickness of the conditioner I'm using.

HTH. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file