questions re: Robert Craig color

astromomastromom Registered Users Posts: 36
I’ve been reading through posts in the coloring section and I’m thinking about coloring with Robert Craig. I’m looking for some advise from experienced users, especially CurliLocks since she seems to be the resident expert!
I think my natural color would be similar to RC #3 (dk. brown with subtle > red highlights in sun). A year and a half ago had foil color done. No coloring since then. I would say that the colored hair now has somewhat of a golden look to it. In the past I've used Natural Instincts Rosewood (a mahogany shade). Considering RC #9, maybe mixing with RC #5 (or other suggestions) the first time until I see how it looks on my hair. Anything I should consider since the bottom several inches was previously colored? (It's a few inches below shoulder length.) The recommendation always seems to be “go lighter”, but I like color of #9 better than #10.

FYI, I have very little gray. I color to “brighten” my natural dark brown.

One thing I really liked about the Natural Instincts was how incredibly soft the included conditioner made my hair – I suspect it’s loaded with cones! Does RC include conditioner, and if so, is it CG? If not, do you just use your normal rinse out conditioner followed by the rest of your routine?

I think the Natural Instincts instructions said to shampoo at least 24 hours before coloring. What do you do with RC? I usually only cowash, use non sulfate shampoo only on the rare occasion that I do an olive oil DT. My typical routine (see siggy) would be to cowash, rinse out condition, leave in condition, curl crème and FSG. Would I want to skip any parts of this before coloring? I think I just in a post that I would want to avoid conditioners that are heavy on oils for a week or so after. Will any of my conditioners be OK for that time frame? (Also have LVPNG, but don't use it regularly.)

[FONT=&quot]
Re: coloring new growth. When using Natural Instincts semi-permanent color, I usually just did it for special occasions, then would wait a year or more and would just color all of my hair because I didn't want to deal with doing just the roots. I've never figured out how to get color on just the new growth when doing my own hair! Is there a trick for home coloring?

Thanks for any help and advice!

[/FONT]
CG since July 2009

fine texture, medium porosity, high density

cowash: Curl Junkie (CJ) Cleansing Conditioner
DT: CJ Curl Rehab / PT: CJ Repair Me
rinse out: Aubrey Organics GPB, CJ Argan & Olive Oil Conditioner or CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner
leave in: CJ CCCC Lite + CJ Curl Fix Intense Hair Treatment
stylers: CJ Aloe Fix Gel Lite then CJ Curl Queen Gel OR Queen Helene Royal Curl Curl Shaping Creme, then Curls in a Botttle

Comments

• astromomastromom Registered Users Posts: 36
    bump
    CG since July 2009

rinse out: Aubrey Organics GPB, CJ Argan & Olive Oil Conditioner or CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner
    stylers: CJ Aloe Fix Gel Lite then CJ Curl Queen Gel OR Queen Helene Royal Curl Curl Shaping Creme, then Curls in a Botttle

• wendi.wendywendi.wendy Registered Users Posts: 174
    I use Naturtint to color my hair (it covers gray really, really well for me) so I can't answer color-specific RC questions. But I did just use the RC Clear yesterday (and it's great -- my hair is very shiny and soft now).

I'm CG so I co-wash and avoid silicones. When I color my hair, I do a water wash the day before to get the products rinsed out. After it's dry, I don't put anything in my hair (usually just put it up in a bun).

The next day I do my color -- this is how I do it both for RC and Naturtint. After coloring, I hop in the shower and do a co-wash after the color is rinsed out, then use my own conditioner. The RC Clear that I got didn't include conditioner but it did include shampoo (I didn't use it because it has sulfates in it but if that doesn't bother you, I've heard good things about the shampoo). Then I style as usual.

After I color, I don't even get my hair wet for at least 2 days, 3 if I can stand it. :) With the RC Clear, I did that on the third afternoon after I colored, because it's supposed to help seal the color in. I have VERY good luck with Naturtint for color -- it lasted 6 weeks for me and I could've gone another week or two if I had to.

As for coloring new growth (which is what I just did), it's easier if you have a brush to spread the color with. RC sells a set of 2 brushes for $3.75 (I think) and I got those. I did the roots and along my hairline, let it sit for 20 minutes, and then the rest of my hair for 10 minutes (a total of 30).

I know this didn't answer all of your questions, but I hope it helped somewhat. :)
    ~ Wendi in IL
    3a - fine, colored hair w/normal porosity (loves protein!)
    CG since March 2010
    Co-Wash: V05, Suave or Cure Care
    Low Poo: Desert Essence
    Condish: GVP Balm, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening

Leave-In: Cure Care, KCKT
    Styler: SS FHG, Re-Coil, LALSG, BRHG

Thanks for the info Wendi! I've been CG for almost a year but it seems that there's always something new to learn.
    CG since July 2009

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    OMG I hope I can answer everything! :cheese:

If you go with #9, I would mix with #8 Light Chestnut, not coffee, as that would be too dark. #8 is actually darker on curly hair than it looks there. I often use it for my roots and they end up much darker than the rest of my hair. Be sure to do a strand test for timing so you don't get any unwanted surprises. :tongue1:

I think #10 is just a lighter version of #9, but if you like #9 you'll need to mix with the lighter brown or risk going very dark.

I would start with the roots and top of head first, and do the ends (previously colored) last as they will probably grab the color from being porous. About the last 10-15 min or so. Again, your strand test will determine this. :)

Wendi already answered, there is not a conditioner but a shampoo included. This is a good shampoo if you choose to use it. It's a mini bottle of this one: http://robertcraig.com/store/product16.html

I would shampoo with your non-sulfate shampoo 24 hrs before. For best results, DO NOT use any conditioner or styling products afterward (yeah, it's ponytail day for me). :tongue1:

You can use conditioner after coloring, but nothing heavy in oils or glycerin is best. Sorry, I don't know about your specific products you use, you'll have to check the ingredients. Also, avoid those products for about a week after as well. [FONT=&quot]Try not to thoroughly wet or wash your hair for at least 2 days after. You can spritz with water to style though. :)

astromom wrote:
    Re: coloring new growth. When using Natural Instincts semi-permanent color, I usually just did it for special occasions, then would wait a year or more and would just color all of my hair because I didn't want to deal with doing just the roots. I've never figured out how to get color on just the new growth when doing my own hair! Is there a trick for home coloring?
    [/FONT]
    Yeah, the trick is to get a friend or SO to help out! LOL My sis or hubby help me out, it's so much easier. But you can do it alone, I did for years. You would just try to separate and clip parts of your hair so it's not in the way. Then use the tip of the bottle to part the hair and then apply a line of color, rub with the tip of a gloved hand to spread out a bit. For the last few minutes, about 10, you'll just apply the color to the whole head to refresh. This usually catches any spots you might have missed too. :)

Did I get it all?! LMK if not, or there's anything else. :D It's really not hard to do, just do that strand test and include the whole strand root to ends. You can do this on the head by separating a clump and wrapping with plastic wrap while processing (not aluminum though). Wipe off and dry with a paper towel to check color, write down the time! :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    Thanks for the reply, CurliLocks! Sorry so many questions - as mentioned, I've done home color before, so not sure why so nervous this time!

I've read over and over that the color will be darker on curly hair, but still was leaning toward #9. I'm going to take your advice and order #10 and see what I think of the strand test. I assume the way to do it is clip some hair up to reveal a clump that is "buried" and test on that.

I was going to ask what conditioner(s) you use, but I was reading some stuff on the RC website and there was a hint that their conditioner is CG; confirmed on a thread here that included a post from you! All of the conditioners that I use have one or more oils in them except the Suave that I cowash with, and I don't think it's rich enough to use just that for a week. I'll order the RC conditioner when I order the color. I suspect that I'll have to skip my curl creme for that first week, and will make a small batch of FSG and only put aloe and agave nectar in it.

Now to look at my calendar and find a week when less than ideal hair won't matter...
    CG since July 2009

We're all nervous when trying something new like color. RC's Conditioner is wonderful and leaves you with that CG seaweed feel. :) You should be fine if you make that batch of FSG that way.

Yes, just find a good strand of hair that includes all the colors of your hair, try to grab a couple grays in there too. Good luck and LMK how the strand test comes out, and if you have any more Qs. :D I don't mind at all. I love RC's products and have used the color for so long that I've pretty much experienced it all. :happy6:
    Oh CurliLocks, I'm wavering! I placed my order and suddenly the words "permanent color" sunk in. Maybe that's why I'm nervous this time. The only permanent color I've ever done was at a salon, and then I did a 2 color foil with a third of the hair left natural with no color, so almost more like highlighting. At home I've only done Natural Instincts which is semi-permanent (wash out in something like 28 washes). If I really didn't like it, it would fade over time, and I also didn't have a really obvious line where the new growth was because again it was slowly fading.

I confess I did some searching on the boards yesterday re: Natural Instincts to figure out how bad it would be on my hair if I used that. Do you find that there is some fading so that the difference between colored and new growth won't be really dramatic, especially since I'm not trying to go to a lighter shade?

On a side note, do you know why the need to avoid products with oils or butters for that first week - what happens if you use them? Or is it just something that "they" recommend so that's what we do?

Thanks!
    CG since July 2009

Don't panic! ;) RC can be permanent or semi, depending on how long you leave it. It will fade but maybe not as much as NI. As it is a deposit-only color, it will not lift your original color so you won't get brassy as you fade back to your natural color (unlike NI or others). You shouldn't really see a line of outgrowth. I do, but it's only where the gray has grown out, not in the darker areas.

The reason to avoid the oils, butters, glycerin is that they can lift the fresh RC Color since it is a deposit-only and doesn't have the high peroxide or ammonia of other colors. So if you don't watch your timing and it gets a little dark, you can always shampoo and use something rich to lift a little color. Of course, I know you're going to do a strand test, so this won't be a problem. :D

LMK when you get it and do the strand test. Then I can reassure you before doing the whole head. LOL :)
  • CurliniCurlini Registered Users Posts: 258 Curl Neophyte
    Astromom - you're in excellent hands with Curlilocks - she mentored me through my initiation using RC. You can also email Karin at RC for guidance - she's very responsive.
    I've been using RC for about 6 months now very happily. In my case gray is a major consideration and the coverage is excellent. The only thing I would reiterate along with Curlilocks is that RC tends to go dark so if you're choosing between shades - go lighter. I'm in the midst of tweaking my shade mixture to lighten up.

Good luck! :)
    Medium Texture/Normal Porosity
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie conditioners, Elucence moisture balancing, Darcy's pumpkin seed, Mop Top Daily
    Gels: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ Curl Queen, UFDCM, Mop Top Curly Custard, KCCC (wish it didn't take so long to dry!), CJ Aloe Fix Lite
    Weekly PT (CJ Repair Me) & DT
    Icequeen method
    CG since Aug. 08, still a lot to learn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ok, I believe you now! My order arrived today and did the strand test - #9 definitely would have been too dark. Used shampoo tonight in preparation for coloring tomorrow. One question: Do I need to dump out the amount that I mixed for the strand test or can I add the 2 1/2 oz of water and remaining powder dye to the small amount I already mixed up but didn't use for the strand test?

Thanks again to everyone for the advice, especially CurliLocks, the resident RC guru!
    CG since July 2009

Well, CurliLocks and other encouragers, here’s my “report” – hopefully I didn’t do anything to goof up the color. I did the strand test Thursday evening – looked fine, although a bit more subtle than I might have liked. CurliLocks said to shampoo 24 hours before coloring, but since the instructions said 12 to 24 hours, I decided to shampoo Thurs PM and color Fri AM. After I used my non-sulfate shampoo, it dawned on me to check the ingredients since it’s AOHR – the conditioner has lots of oils; the poo has some, so I did a cowash with my Suave Ocean Breeze, then let my hair air dry with no stylers. It’s been a LONG time since I did that. (By the way, I did dump out the color mixed for the allergy and strand tests – by morning obviously lost the mousse consistency.)

Since I had about 9” of never colored hair, I asked a friend to come and help me. With trying to get good coverage, it took quite a while – I think the color was probably on the first section a good 45 min. – probably double the time of the strand test. After applying to the previously colored hair, I think I waited about 15 minutes and then started rinsing. I used the RC conditioner to condition and leave in, and used homemade FSG. Did only a water spritz to style on Saturday. Since by Sunday AM it had been 2 days, I did a normal cowash, RC conditioner and FSG; Monday a thorough rewetting with spritz bottle, scrunched in some RC conditioner and FSG. Continued this through Thursday; I think I was seeing just a slight tinge to the water when rinsing out conditioner, especially first day or two. My hair wasn’t terrible, but definitely on the dry side and missing my normal oil rich conditioners. Friday finally went back to my normal routine starting with a DT with CJ Curl Rehab.

I usually DT before I exercise, so I usually have some little drips of water now and then. When I dabbed them with a white tissue, I could see that the water was ever so slightly tinged. Did I probably not rinse the color out long enough initially or could it be an indication that my normal conditioners with their oils are going to fade the color faster than normal? Could the shampoo beforehand have had an effect?

Although I would like the color on the never colored hair to be more noticeable, the previously colored hair blends much better now. I assume that with my dark brown hair the only way to get more color is to leave it on longer.
    Any thoughts?
    CG since July 2009

• banjocurlbanjocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
    i use RC golden blonde #18 which gives me a medium reddish golden brown color. anything else is too dark..
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file