{if $User.SignedIn} {literal}
{$User.Name}
{/literal} {/if}

All my new products are cone or sulfate. Need recommendations (I'm 3b)

coblexcoblex Posts: 4Registered Users
I bought a bunch of curly hair products before coming to this site, hoping they would fix my hair problems. Even the conditioner has cone products. This is Tigi Curls Rock, by the way.

I just need some basic product recommendations. I don't have much money to experiment and I'm really discouraged by this experience, so I was hoping for some product recommendations for a no-poo routine.

I need a conditioner and something for my hair afterwards. My hair type is 3b, if anyone has that and found products that work great.

Low porosity, medium thickness
[ 3b | Low Porosity | Medium Thickness ]
Currently no products, looking for CG products, please PM me any recommendations if you have similar hair.:hello2:

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Texture and porosity are more important then hair type for products. If you don't know yours, you can read a thread by that name, started by Struttswife, on the Newby Forum. Or go to her website: http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/

Once you determine your texture and porosity, find people with hair like yours and see what they use (most of us have it in our signatures.) It's a great way to start.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • coblexcoblex Posts: 4Registered Users
    Thanks. I forgot about that, but I didn't know people had that information in their signatures. I will edit in the info into the first post. I'm medium hair, low porosity.

Edit: How do I add a signature?
    [ 3b | Low Porosity | Medium Thickness ]
    Currently no products, looking for CG products, please PM me any recommendations if you have similar hair.:hello2:
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    coblex wrote: »
    Thanks. I forgot about that, but I didn't know people had that information in their signatures. I will edit in the info into the first post. I'm medium hair, low porosity.

Edit: How do I add a signature?

Go to the private message section. On the left is a column of things you can do. One is edit signature.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A lot of people here have had great success getting started on cheap, readily available products.

VO5 conditioners and the conditioners in the Suave Naturals line are silicone-free, work great for co-washing, and are easy to find, and easy on the wallet. I think the Suave prices I've seen recently are a bit higher, but still under $1.50, and VO5 is still below a dollar.

LA Looks, EcoStyler, and Proclaim all have really reasonably priced, clear hair gels. I have a huge tub of Proclaim I got for under $2 at Sally's. With medium, low porosity hair, it doesn't sound like you need much protein, so I wouldn't suggest going with any variety of the above which is high protein.

Another way to go with hair gel is to make your own flaxseed gel (FSG). Flaxseeds are extremely cheap, and I figure that my homemade FSG costs me pennies. There are a number of recipes in the Recipe section of the Hair boards here.

I know a lot of people figure that they have to use what they bought in error before moving on to something else, but I believe that that's false economy. My hair has been so much better since I ditched the sulfates and cones that it's unbelievable, and it has been a progression of improvement. I noticed a big difference as soon as I made the switch. It just kept getting better, the longer I CGed. It was worth the price of not using the stuff that was unhealthy for it, and I don't regret it.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file