My experiment with dandruff and apricot facial scrub

curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I have had dandruff of various stages of awfulness since puberty. I've tried coal tar shampoos, Nizoral, Head and Shoulders, T-gel. You name it I've used it with various amounts of success. I got really annoyed with it today so exfoliated my scalp with Aapri, that rough facial scrub. I know Lorraine has a recipe for a scrub involving sugar but that's rubbish imo. Apricot facial scrub is the way to go. I used 3 big globs of it on wet hair and scrubbed away, lifting the hair up as I went to get really close to the skin.

My scalp feels cleaner, lighter and my hair looks like it has more volume and it's still wet. I think I'll be doing this every weekend!
Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.

Comments

• murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    curlylaura wrote: »
    I have had dandruff of various stages of awfulness since puberty. I've tried coal tar shampoos, Nizoral, Head and Shoulders, T-gel. You name it I've used it with various amounts of success. I got really annoyed with it today so exfoliated my scalp with Aapri, that rough facial scrub. I know Lorraine has a recipe for a scrub involving sugar but that's rubbish imo. Apricot facial scrub is the way to go. I used 3 big globs of it on wet hair and scrubbed away, lifting the hair up as I went to get really close to the skin.

My scalp feels cleaner, lighter and my hair looks like it has more volume and it's still wet. I think I'll be doing this every weekend!

the apricot facial rub by...St. Ives? I have that if so I'll try that this weekend, my scalp is killing me!
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    St Ives would work I used one called Aapri, but hey, as long as it's scrubby it should work!
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I too tried the brown sugar scrub without success (the sugar dissolved way too quickly), never thought of using a facial scrub. My flakes have been shocking lately (psoriasis) so I might give this a try, I know I'll never cure it but if I can get the flakes under some control I'll be happy.
    3b in South Australia.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Starmie wrote: »
    I too tried the brown sugar scrub without success (the sugar dissolved way too quickly), never thought of using a facial scrub. My flakes have been shocking lately (psoriasis) so I might give this a try, I know I'll never cure it but if I can get the flakes under some control I'll be happy.

That's what I thought before I did it. At least it's worked and my hair is still full and bouncy today, even after being slept on!

I forgot to say I followed the scrub with a dandruff/dry scalp shampoo (Oilatum Scalp in my case) and deep conditioner.
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I tried this a couple of days ago, used a body scrub that came in a gift box and is way too "soft" to be any use on my body. Have to say it worked well (used a dandruff poo afterwards) though I think I'd have to do it at least twice a week to keep the flakes at bay. Don't know if that would end up irritating my skin though - only one way to find out. Luckily I only have a smallish patch of psoriasis and it's not in an obvious place.
    3b in South Australia.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file