A few tips on treatments for newbies and not so newbies too

Comments

• LongDarkWavyHairLongDarkWavyHair Posts: 69Registered Users
    Hey, thought I'd join in the questions. After reading this thread and on the recommendations of other curlies on this forum, I went to do some PT.

I did the gelatin+ACV+water for 15 minutes. Rinsed it out and there wasn't really any noticeable change. I then did v05 strengthening hot oil immediately after, hoping that might do the trick. No change.

I then rinsed that out and used the biotene h-24 condish (has lots of protein in the ingredients), and didn't rinse it out - used it as a leavein and plopped.

Post plop - no noticeable change. My hair still snaps easily, has no elasticity (and it used to have lots), and no improvement on curl pattern or def.

As a last ditch effort, I put in coconut oil and some burts bees body moisturizer (after reading the ingredients deck, it had a lot of good-for-your-hair stuff in it).

Here I am post all that, and still - no change whatsoever.

Did I do something wrong?
    2c/3a. Fine-Medium, Med-High Porosity. NO elasticity.

Mainly CG (co-wash daily; no poo, no cones)
    Current products:
    Co-wash: Desert Essences Organics (lemon for clarifying)
    Condish: Desert Essences Organics (coconut for moisture)
    Hair Gel: KissMyFace, HFSG

Occasionals:
    Coconut Oil
    Baking Soda/ACV
    Trying:
    Gelatin/ACV Protein Treatment
    Biotene H-24 Condish
    VO5 Hot Oil

Hair Pics: http://s754.photobucket.com/albums/xx186/longdarkwavyhair/CG%20Hair/
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Saroyan wrote: »
    Very helpful thread, thanks! Didn't know you were supposed to remove some of the water before applying the treatment, but it makes sense. I'll try that next time.

YW! Glad I could help! :D
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    santini wrote: »
    Hey rymorg.... quick question for you. I know that theories go back and forth as to whether or not you can give yourself "protein overload", but in YOUR opinion do you think that if I use products that contain protein on a daily basis, that would lead to breakage at my ends over the coarse of 4 or 5 months? I use Giovanni, Suave & Nature's Gate conditioners and lately I've noticed something funky going on with my ends. Could this be from using these products regularly? Or should the protein content in them be so insignificant to cause problems like this? TIA !!

Hey Santini just saw this sorry....

I don't think that it's causing your breakage. Dry feeling, yes, but breakage, no. Protein is used to help with breakage. Have you been going out in the sun or anything like that? Using hot water? I'd suspect something along those lines before the protein.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hey, thought I'd join in the questions. After reading this thread and on the recommendations of other curlies on this forum, I went to do some PT.

I did the gelatin+ACV+water for 15 minutes. Rinsed it out and there wasn't really any noticeable change. I then did v05 strengthening hot oil immediately after, hoping that might do the trick. No change.

I then rinsed that out and used the biotene h-24 condish (has lots of protein in the ingredients), and didn't rinse it out - used it as a leavein and plopped.

Post plop - no noticeable change. My hair still snaps easily, has no elasticity (and it used to have lots), and no improvement on curl pattern or def.

As a last ditch effort, I put in coconut oil and some burts bees body moisturizer (after reading the ingredients deck, it had a lot of good-for-your-hair stuff in it).

Well, I'll be honest and say I've never used the things you listed on your hair, but no I don't think you did anything wrong per se....I think you either just didn't need as much protein as you thought or maybe need different types of protein than you used. Again, I've never used those products though, so have no idea what's in them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IngieIngie Posts: 12Registered Users
    Whoa, I'm a total newbie and this is a great post to get started with!
    I'm just now really starting to care about my curls.. A couple of yrs ago I would throw anything in my hair that I encountered.. And now, for a year or so, I low poo (never even knew until today, lol) and use only conditioner in my hair (Herbal Essences, Creme of Nature), also as leave in.
    Seeing I only use that, a PT wouldn't be a bad idea huh? Do I still DT afterwards?

I'm starting to get into this! :-)
    Ingie wrote: »
    Whoa, I'm a total newbie and this is a great post to get started with!
    I'm just now really starting to care about my curls.. A couple of yrs ago I would throw anything in my hair that I encountered.. And now, for a year or so, I low poo (never even knew until today, lol) and use only conditioner in my hair (Herbal Essences, Creme of Nature), also as leave in.
    Seeing I only use that, a PT wouldn't be a bad idea huh? Do I still DT afterwards?

I'm starting to get into this! :-)

PT's are never a bad idea....seeing as how you low poo and use a LI, you probably will only need it occasionally. It takes awhile to get to the point where you can listen to your hair. I'd start off light and go from there. And yes, I'd still DT after, but again listen to your hair...if it feels fine after the protein you may not need to. HTH!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rymorg2 wrote: »

Well, I'll be honest and say I've never used the things you listed on your hair, but no I don't think you did anything wrong per se....I think you either just didn't need as much protein as you thought or maybe need different types of protein than you used. Again, I've never used those products though, so have no idea what's in them.

Thanks for the response.. how do I figure out what types of protein I need or if I have too much? My hair still snaps on the elasticity test the same way it did before I did the PT's. Do you have a good recipe/suggestion for a PT that is 'all encompassing'? The things I did were from other curlies suggestions on here.

Current products:

Occasionals:
    Coconut Oil
    Baking Soda/ACV
    Trying:
    Biotene H-24 Condish
    VO5 Hot Oil

I've never used anything homemade....just commercially bought. The only way to find out is to test it out. Try different products until you find what works. From the sound of it if your hair is still snapping you still need protein. It's something that will take some time. If you have too much you'll get a dry crunchy feeling even if it's wet....the snap is more indicative of needing more protein.

I like CJCF and SSRPT for my PT's. I also like SSprotein spray but it's not a treatment. If you're looking for onground I suggest going to Sallys and getting the generic version of Joico KPak and the generic Biolage conditioning balm to follow for moisture. For my DT's I like CJRehab and SSDD. Sometimes I throw in other things into the mix, but usually that's what I use. HTH....

Thanks for the response.. how do I figure out what types of protein I need or if I have too much? My hair still snaps on the elasticity test the same way it did before I did the PT's. Do you have a good recipe/suggestion for a PT that is 'all encompassing'? The things I did were from other curlies suggestions on here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    awesome, thanks!

I'm in Canada - we don't have a Sally's. I've looked in the drugstores that sell Joico, none have the k-pak so I guess I'll be ordering.

I know what SS is, but what is CJCF?

Current products:

Occasionals:
    Coconut Oil
    Baking Soda/ACV
    Trying:
    Biotene H-24 Condish
    VO5 Hot Oil

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CJCF=curl junkie curl fix

You may be able to find Nexxus Emergencee on the ground in Canada. Walmarts sometimes have it.

Kathymack has samples of most (maybe all) of the things Rymorg mentioned.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • BeebopBeebop Posts: 457Registered Users Curl Novice
    Hi, I'm a long time lurker as well and wondered if I could use AOGPB and AOHR as my PT and DT?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Curly in AZ-2c-3a/Cherub/fine-med. texture/high porosity/normal elasticity/highlighted
    Wash-Desert essence frizz be gone/ Shea Moosture curl & shine/Biolage keratin dose
    Cond-Desert essence frizz be gone/Shea Moosture curl & Shine/ Biolage ultra hydrasource
    Leave In- Conditioner large pea size
    Stylers- Condition 3-in-1 mousse, Biologe mousse, Shea Moosture silicone free miracle styler leave in treatment, Shaper hairspray for extra hold.:coffee2::coffee:
    Beebop wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a long time lurker as well and wondered if I could use AOGPB and AOHR as my PT and DT?

Any conditioner can be used as a treatment if it's left on longer. :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for your help rymorg...your info. was the best help out of all the threads I read. I did my treatment and my hair has much more bounce and wurly curly's. I wasn't sure if I was protein sensitive or not because I switched to Giovanni sas lowpoo and cond. and my hair felt dry and frizzy when it dried...so I switched back to low poo and GFTN. My hair looks better right now after treatment, but I'm not sure which lowpoo and co. to go back too. Any ideas would greatly help. I'm a 2a-3a blonde with highlights shoulder length with normal to high porosity and fine to med. strands. Thnks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Curly in AZ-2c-3a/Cherub/fine-med. texture/high porosity/normal elasticity/highlighted
    Wash-Desert essence frizz be gone/ Shea Moosture curl & shine/Biolage keratin dose
    Cond-Desert essence frizz be gone/Shea Moosture curl & Shine/ Biolage ultra hydrasource
    Stylers- Condition 3-in-1 mousse, Biologe mousse, Shea Moosture silicone free miracle styler leave in treatment, Shaper hairspray for extra hold.:coffee2::coffee:
    Beebop wrote: »
    Thanks for your help rymorg...your info. was the best help out of all the threads I read. I did my treatment and my hair has much more bounce and wurly curly's. I wasn't sure if I was protein sensitive or not because I switched to Giovanni sas lowpoo and cond. and my hair felt dry and frizzy when it dried...so I switched back to low poo and GFTN. My hair looks better right now after treatment, but I'm not sure which lowpoo and co. to go back too. Any ideas would greatly help. I'm a 2a-3a blonde with highlights shoulder length with normal to high porosity and fine to med. strands. Thnks!

Good I'm glad I could help!

If the Giovanni made you feel dry and frizzy I would think it was some ingredients in the giovanni that you're sensitive to, or it just didn't work for you. For now I'd go back to the low poo and GFTN but keep up the treatments.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks again!
  • KarenRB53KarenRB53 Posts: 355Registered Users
    I finally found this and wanted to thank you for such great information!!
    What is your favorite low -poo? And you also said you use a "regular" shampoo sometimes..do you have a favorite?

Thanks again.
    Karen
    3b, fine textured,thin and normal to high porosity.
  • SaroyanSaroyan Posts: 398Registered Users
    How much of the treatment are you supposed to use when you do one? In other words, how saturated should your hair get? I find myself using a lot (one of kathymack's half-ounce samples is barely enough for one treatment for me), but I have thick hair that's almost armpit-length when pulled straight, so maybe that's unavoidable.
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
    condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
    techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing
  • BLBBLB Posts: 268Registered Users
    I was wondering the same thing Saroyan. I am going to do my 1st ever protein treatment tonight, but I don't think a 1/2 oz. sample is going to cut it. It's all I have though so I have to try it. For DT's I always apply a TON. I probably use at least 1 oz, so that's why I'm wondering if I'm supposed to be doing the same thing for protein. At least for tonight I have no choice but to use the 1/2 oz. of SS treatment and see how it goes. I'm excited!
    2's+3a/ med density/ normal-high porosity/ fine-med texture, normal elasticity (I think!):
    Wash: CJ Daily Fix/Giovanni TTTT
    Conditioner: Giovanni TTT
    DT/PT: CJ Rehab, SSPDT
    LI: Giovanni DLI, AO Mandarin Magic- Jane Carter Scalp Nourishing Serum for dry, sensitive scalp
    Stylers: AG Re:coil, Mop C Curl Cream, CCClite, Spiral Solutions FHG...Sealing w/ Coconut oil
    Finishing product: JC Nourish & Shine, MD Strawberry Smoothie
    http://picasaweb.google.com/114440579402158395573/HAIRPICS?feat=directlink
    KarenRB53 wrote: »
    What is your favorite low -poo? And you also said you use a "regular" shampoo sometimes..do you have a favorite?

Thanks again.
    Karen

YW Karen, and my pleasure!!

My fave low poo is one that's not even been released yet....it's the upcoming Moisture Cream Shampoo from Spiral Solutions. I got to test it out....it's AWESOME, it cleans like sulfates but doesn't strip. And yes, about once a month or two I have to restart with a sulfate poo (did one this morning as a matter of fact) if days of my fave enhancers don't give me enough curl I know it's time for one. I like to use Tigi Oatmeal/honey as it's full of protein, and occasionally I'll use AG's Tech 2wo too. The only prob with the Tigi is it's discontinued. But you can find it on the web. HTH!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Saroyan wrote: »
    How much of the treatment are you supposed to use when you do one? In other words, how saturated should your hair get? I find myself using a lot (one of kathymack's half-ounce samples is barely enough for one treatment for me), but I have thick hair that's almost armpit-length when pulled straight, so maybe that's unavoidable.

Hi Saroyan! I always blot my hair dry before applying treatments, and I load them on. Slather away. If you don't want to slather as much you could comb through with a wide toothed comb to help dispurse it. I love treatments so much I don't mind using extra product...I just pile it on until my hair is completely coated and slimy for lack of a better word.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    BLB wrote: »
    I was wondering the same thing Saroyan. I am going to do my 1st ever protein treatment tonight, but I don't think a 1/2 oz. sample is going to cut it. It's all I have though so I have to try it. For DT's I always apply a TON. I probably use at least 1 oz, so that's why I'm wondering if I'm supposed to be doing the same thing for protein. At least for tonight I have no choice but to use the 1/2 oz. of SS treatment and see how it goes. I'm excited!

If you use about an ounce for a DT then you'd probably want to apply about the same for a PT, especially if you blot dry between to get better results. But if you have to use the 1/2 ounce then use it.

FWIW, my short hair eats up about that at one sitting! It's always hungry.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KarenRB53KarenRB53 Posts: 355Registered Users

Thanks again.

Karen

My fave low poo is one that's not even been released yet....it's the upcoming Moisture Cream Shampoo from Spiral Solutions. I got to test it out....it's AWESOME, it cleans like sulfates but doesn't strip. And yes, about once a month or two I have to restart with a sulfate poo (did one this morning as a matter of fact) if days of my fave enhancers don't give me enough curl I know it's time for one. I like to use Tigi Oatmeal/honey as it's full of protein, and occasionally I'll use AG's Tech 2wo too. The only prob with the Tigi is it's discontinued. But you can find it on the web. HTH!

Looking forward to the new low poo!! Thanks again for the information.
    3b, fine textured,thin and normal to high porosity.

If you use about an ounce for a DT then you'd probably want to apply about the same for a PT, especially if you blot dry between to get better results. But if you have to use the 1/2 ounce then use it.

FWIW, my short hair eats up about that at one sitting! It's always hungry.

As I type I am sitting under the bonnet and dryer doing my 1st ever PT! A 1/2 ounce was DEFINITELY not enough. I could have used at least a full oz. I'm bummed because I wanted my 1st treatment to be perfect, but I guess it's better than nothing. I did finger comb through my hair to try and distribute the product. We shall see...off to rinse and apply the DT! Thanks Rymorg!
    2's+3a/ med density/ normal-high porosity/ fine-med texture, normal elasticity (I think!):
    LI: Giovanni DLI, AO Mandarin Magic- Jane Carter Scalp Nourishing Serum for dry, sensitive scalp
    Stylers: AG Re:coil, Mop C Curl Cream, CCClite, Spiral Solutions FHG...Sealing w/ Coconut oil
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have a lot of hair as well but I definitely don't use half an oz for either one! I tend to rake it in with my fingers and then run a wide tooth comb through it.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• RacerWife7RacerWife7 Posts: 895Registered Users Curl Novice
    wow! Very informative! Thank you so much for clarifying the PT stuff - I was wondering about those little details. :)
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
    My Picasa Album
    What I used in this photo:
    Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
    Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
    Styling: CJCQ
    th_d963586e.jpg
    I have a lot of hair as well but I definitely don't use half an oz for either one! I tend to rake it in with my fingers and then run a wide tooth comb through it.

I would NEVER use this amount when just conditioning during the week, but you are supposed to apply a lot when doing a treatment. Plus I am guilty of not DT'ing as much as I should, so when I do a treatment I want it to be really thorough. (I'm lazy :laughing1:). Your hair should be saturated to the point of sloppy to get optimal results. This + heat is what makes a treatment different from just conditioning on a regular basis. The only reason I know this is because I've had my hair DT'd at salons before, plus our in house stylist Rymorg confirms this :angel2:

Thanks again.

Karen

Looking forward to the new low poo!! Thanks again for the information.

YW Again!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    YW for the info and how did your tx go? :D And yep, you want your hair saturated.

I would NEVER use this amount when just conditioning during the week, but you are supposed to apply a lot when doing a treatment. Plus I am guilty of not DT'ing as much as I should, so when I do a treatment I want it to be really thorough. (I'm lazy :laughing1:). Your hair should be saturated to the point of sloppy to get optimal results. This + heat is what makes a treatment different from just conditioning on a regular basis. The only reason I know this is because I've had my hair DT'd at salons before, plus our in house stylist Rymorg confirms this :angel2:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That can work too, asianrunner, but if you use a bit more you may get even better results. If you feel this winter that you're not getting good enough results try adding more product to your pt/dt.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RacerWife7 wrote: »
    wow! Very informative! Thank you so much for clarifying the PT stuff - I was wondering about those little details. :)

Hi racerwife, welcome to the boards! I'm glad I could help with those details! :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file