A few tips on treatments for newbies and not so newbies too

Comments

• Crystal TipsCrystal Tips Posts: 240Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    rymorg2 wrote: »
    Definitely keep me posted!!! CJH&BDF is a good one to start with, since there's only a bit of protein in there it's less likely to cause issues. I love it, but I prefer more protein for a true PT....and that one just doesn't cut it for a true PT for my protein starved hair. You may find your hair feels fine without the rinseout after....I don't ALWAYS follow with moisture but it's not a bad idea either.

Didn't use the rinse out! Hair felt fabulously soft upon rinsing so didn't need it! Hair definitely felt better for that treatment - I could see and feel an instant difference, even when wet. Applied SheaM then [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle-p-995.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle]CIAB[/buylink] followed by BRHG. Hair started to clump into great curls after applying the stylers - which it hasn't done in ages! Diffused for 10 and now air drying. I can tell it's gonna work out tho'! Yay!

Re the protein - have never actually done a true PT since going CG. Am still not sure about protein. Have been CG almost a year now and started off light on the protein (as I'm medium coarse). Used AOGPB until recently (once a fortnight, and leaving it in for 10-15 mins then following with something like AOHR) - just started using Joico K-pak reconstruct condish (regular not treatment) on rcc's recs - which I've been liking. I'm thinking maybe I could take a bit more protein in the Summer?

Now am wondering why I've got the good results - because I used a treatment? - a bit of extra protein (only used 4 days ago), the styler combo or all of the above! LOL!
    UK - 3a/b med/coarse - mix normal/ high porosity.
    Currently in my rotation:
    Cleanser/Cowash: CJDF,
    Tresemme Naturals, DGJ Hairjuice clarifying, Urtekram Lavender
    Conditioners/DT's: CJH&BDF, CJCR, DBPSC, AOWC, Y2C
    Protein: AOGPB, Joico Reconstruct Condish (regular not PT)
    Leave Ins/Curl Creams: CJCCCC, CJ Smoothing, KeraCare/JCAC
    Gel: FSG, BRHG, Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel, L'Oreal Studio Mineral Control Invisi'Gel
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/41[email protected]/
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Definitely keep me posted!!! CJH&BDF is a good one to start with, since there's only a bit of protein in there it's less likely to cause issues. I love it, but I prefer more protein for a true PT....and that one just doesn't cut it for a true PT for my protein starved hair. You may find your hair feels fine without the rinseout after....I don't ALWAYS follow with moisture but it's not a bad idea either.

Didn't use the rinse out! Hair felt fabulously soft upon rinsing so didn't need it! Hair definitely felt better for that treatment - I could see and feel an instant difference, even when wet. Applied SheaM then [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle-p-995.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle]CIAB[/buylink] followed by BRHG. Hair started to clump into great curls after applying the stylers - which it hasn't done in ages! Diffused for 10 and now air drying. I can tell it's gonna work out tho'! Yay!

Re the protein - have never actually done a true PT since going CG. Am still not sure about protein. Have been CG almost a year now and started off light on the protein (as I'm medium coarse). Used AOGPB until recently (once a fortnight, and leaving it in for 10-15 mins then following with something like AOHR) - just started using Joico K-pak reconstruct condish (regular not treatment) on rcc's recs - which I've been liking. I'm thinking maybe I could take a bit more protein in the Summer?

Now am wondering why I've got the good results - because I used a treatment? - a bit of extra protein (only used 4 days ago), the styler combo or all of the above! LOL!

Oh HOORAY!!!! You know it worked out when your hair does THAT!

If you're med/coarse, starting off light is a good idea. Even if it's 10 or 15 mins it's still a treatment, although not everyone can handle it in as long as I leave mine in. Honestly, my hair is WIERD. I like KPac, but it's not my fave. You're probably right in that in summer you can handle a little more. As for the good results, it's probably all of the above LOL....glad it worked!
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Crystal TipsCrystal Tips Posts: 240Registered Users Curl Neophyte

If you're med/coarse, starting off light is a good idea. Even if it's 10 or 15 mins it's still a treatment, although not everyone can handle it in as long as I leave mine in. Honestly, my hair is WIERD. I like KPac, but it's not my fave. You're probably right in that in summer you can handle a little more. As for the good results, it's probably all of the above LOL....glad it worked!

Thanks v much :happy8: And thanks for the heads up on the protein - tested a few hairs since doing the DT and there's is a wee bit of stretch in there now! :blob:
    UK - 3a/b med/coarse - mix normal/ high porosity.
    Currently in my rotation:
    Cleanser/Cowash: CJDF,
    Tresemme Naturals, DGJ Hairjuice clarifying, Urtekram Lavender
    Conditioners/DT's: CJH&BDF, CJCR, DBPSC, AOWC, Y2C
    Protein: AOGPB, Joico Reconstruct Condish (regular not PT)
    Leave Ins/Curl Creams: CJCCCC, CJ Smoothing, KeraCare/JCAC
    Gel: FSG, BRHG, Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel, L'Oreal Studio Mineral Control Invisi'Gel
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Thanks v much :happy8: And thanks for the heads up on the protein - tested a few hairs since doing the DT and there's is a wee bit of stretch in there now! :blob:

YW.....stretch is good!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pretebrowneyespretebrowneyes Posts: 248Registered Users
    Thanks so much for this post! I had been doing it all wrong. I make my own PT (avocado, honey, EVOO, banana) and wasn't following with a DT. My hair looked great but felt a little off....now I know why :) I love the homemade PT but I think I'll keep a bottle of GVP KPak on hand for my lazy days and use GVP Conditioning Balm as a DT. Are there any recipes for DIY DT? Everytime I do a google search for that I get protein recipes...never strictly moisturizing. Thanks again!!!
    *MopTop Maven Healthy Hair Challenge 2011*:wave:

PrePoo- EVOO
    LowPoo- Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap bar
    Shampoo- ORS Creamy Aloe
    Clarifying poo- Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo
    DC- GVP Conditioning Balm
    PT- GVP K-Pak reconstructor
    Leave in- Giovanni Direct leave-in *with kimmaytube recipe*
    Moisturizer- water+aloe vera juice+castor oil+jojoba oil spritz
    Sealant- jojoba oil
    Thanks so much for this post! I had been doing it all wrong. I make my own PT (avocado, honey, EVOO, banana) and wasn't following with a DT. My hair looked great but felt a little off....now I know why :) I love the homemade PT but I think I'll keep a bottle of GVP KPak on hand for my lazy days and use GVP Conditioning Balm as a DT. Are there any recipes for DIY DT? Everytime I do a google search for that I get protein recipes...never strictly moisturizing. Thanks again!!!

You're so welcome!! :D Glad I could help!

I've never made any treatments homemade, not even PT, so I'm not going to be much help there. I will say that oils and butters are softening emollients and glycerin or agave nectar or honey are humectants and in a good moisturizing treatment you need both. My hair is glycerin sensitive....sometimes it gets gunked up by it or frizzes, and I have to be careful how many products I use with it in them. Agave nectar, though, is my hair's best friend.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pretebrowneyespretebrowneyes Posts: 248Registered Users

I've never made any treatments homemade, not even PT, so I'm not going to be much help there. I will say that oils and butters are softening emollients and glycerin or agave nectar or honey are humectants and in a good moisturizing treatment you need both. My hair is glycerin sensitive....sometimes it gets gunked up by it or frizzes, and I have to be careful how many products I use with it in them. Agave nectar, though, is my hair's best friend.

Maybe I'll just stick to good ole GVP Conditioning Balm and not over think or muck up my hair lol. Wonderful information...thanks again :wave:
    *MopTop Maven Healthy Hair Challenge 2011*:wave:

PrePoo- EVOO
    LowPoo- Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap bar
    Shampoo- ORS Creamy Aloe
    Clarifying poo- Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo
    DC- GVP Conditioning Balm
    PT- GVP K-Pak reconstructor
    Leave in- Giovanni Direct leave-in *with kimmaytube recipe*
    Moisturizer- water+aloe vera juice+castor oil+jojoba oil spritz
    Sealant- jojoba oil

Maybe I'll just stick to good ole GVP Conditioning Balm and not over think or muck up my hair lol. Wonderful information...thanks again :wave:

Yeah, Conditioning balm is good. YW! :blob5:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DreeemingTreeeDreeemingTreee Posts: 57Registered Users

A Deep Conditioning treatment that I make at home and LOVE is super simple: 1 Jar stage 2 Baby food bananas (its just easier than pureeing a banana, so you dont have to worry about chunks or seeds in your hair) 1 tablespoon of honey (heat it for abt 15 sec in microwave to take out the bleaching factor) mix it all together, and apply it to damp hair. I will wrap my head in saran wrap for an hour or two before rinsing out. Simple and works great!!
    CG since 04/10 and loving it!
    2b/3a (I think?!)
    Cowash: V05 Kiwi, Suave Naturals Coconut,
    Rinse out: Deva One C, GNTN
    Leave In: KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, FOTE Aloe, AG Re:Coil, BRHG
    SOTC: Deva Set it Free, MOP Glisten high shine pomade, Coconut Oil
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Seeing this thread (and getting some new CJ products to try!) reminded me to do a PT and DT tonight. The only time I've done a PT+DT I had less than stellar results.

I also wanted to do this stuff tonight because DH isn't here to mock me, haha!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    this is good, really good info!
    Ive just incorporated protein into my regimen (im going to alternate moisture & protein DT's weekly) & i bought the AOGPB.. my hair was super soft & shiny the next day so it must have liked it. I just canNOT do the smell so im looking for good alternatives! (suggestions welcomed =])

i didnt do the moisture dt after the protein, but i did use jessicurl weekly DT as my leave in (it sucked as a rinse out for me) & did a braidout w. great results.. so im guessing that is equivalent!

i have high hopes that this will be the last puzzle peice to solve my breakage problem!
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • imgonnastartawarimgonnastartawar Posts: 237Registered Users
    HI:)

im a newb soo, i JUST figured out about DT's and i was wondering

-How i can make one?

-How often do i do DT's?

-Do i do DT's right after showering and towel drying my hair?

-Then i leave it in for 1 hour and then wash it out.....right?

Seeing this thread (and getting some new CJ products to try!) reminded me to do a PT and DT tonight. The only time I've done a PT+DT I had less than stellar results.

I also wanted to do this stuff tonight because DH isn't here to mock me, haha!

Haha...my hubby knows better. I'm sitting here with it on now and he's NOT SAYING A WORD....

Let me know how the CJ went!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reeky wrote: »
    Ive just incorporated protein into my regimen (im going to alternate moisture & protein DT's weekly) & i bought the AOGPB.. my hair was super soft & shiny the next day so it must have liked it. I just canNOT do the smell so im looking for good alternatives! (suggestions welcomed =])

i didnt do the moisture dt after the protein, but i did use jessicurl weekly DT as my leave in (it sucked as a rinse out for me) & did a braidout w. great results.. so im guessing that is equivalent!

i have high hopes that this will be the last puzzle peice to solve my breakage problem!

SSRPT is my favorite, followed closely by CJCF. If you go to Whole Foods near you they have several scents of the AOGPB that are Whole Foods Exclusive that are different from the regular. As for the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]Jessicurl WDT[/buylink], yes, that would work to offset the crunchies for sure!

HTH!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    HI:)

im a newb soo, i JUST figured out about DT's and i was wondering

-How i can make one?

-How often do i do DT's?

-Do i do DT's right after showering and towel drying my hair?

-Then i leave it in for 1 hour and then wash it out.....right?

Welcome!

Let me see if I can answer your questions.

1. I've never made a PT OR a DT, so I can't help you there. I've always bought mine premade. I get mine online, my faves are Spiral Solutions Repairing Protein Treatment and Curl Junkie Curl Fix. If you want something you can get on ground, Sallys has it's generic version of Joico's KPac that is good. I think the ion packets are pretty good too, but I don't know if they're CG or not. For moisture only I like either [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]Jessicurl WDT[/buylink], SS deeply decadent, or CJ Curl Rehab. For onground you can also go to Sallys and get their generic Biolage Conditioning Balm.

2. Start off once a week, unless you have lots of damage from color or heat styling, then you may be able to get away with 2. You can work your way up or down from there, but once a week is generally a good starting place.

3. Yep! I hop in the shower, cleanse my hair, towel dry with a flour sack towel WHILE I'm in the shower, then apply my PT first, get out and dry off. Then I rinse it when it's done, usually about an hour, under the sink, blot dry again with a flour sack, and apply my moisture only. Then I rinse under the sink again after it's done, usually about an hour as well, and apply my stylers. As for the time, it varies....some people can only use protein for 15 mins. or so. Mine DRINKS IT UP.....but a good 20-30 mins. is a good starting place if you're not sure.

I answered your last question already without realizing it LOL....HTH!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ion effective hair care packets are CG. They are about 2$ and aren't as strong as other PT's.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair doesn't seem to be a huge fan of protein but it loved the CJ Curl Fix! After using it as my PT and CJ Rehab as my DT, my hair was so wavy/curly it was insane!

The only thing I didn't like about the CF was the scent. It was a super strong floral scent that lingered. Anyone else feel this way?

Oh and I wanted to let everyone know that rymorg is amazing because she answered all my questions I've had lately and is really patient! She rocks!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

My hair doesn't seem to be a huge fan of protein but it loved the CJ Curl Fix! After using it as my PT and CJ Rehab as my DT, my hair was so wavy/curly it was insane!

The only thing I didn't like about the CF was the scent. It was a super strong floral scent that lingered. Anyone else feel this way?

Oh and I wanted to let everyone know that rymorg is amazing because she answered all my questions I've had lately and is really patient! She rocks!

:love3: YW!!! :love3:

I actually DO kind of agree with you on the scent, I'm not usually one that's a fan of florals but I like honeysuckle (which that one is) and it doesn't linger TOO badly for me. Glad it worked for you!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    i have just one more question....

SO today my hair isn't looking as good as i like and i was just wondering
    do you ONLY do DT'S or PT'S directly after a shower or can you do them whenever you feel like it!
    i have just one more question....

SO today my hair isn't looking as good as i like and i was just wondering
    do you ONLY do DT'S or PT'S directly after a shower or can you do them whenever you feel like it!

You can do them whenever you want! :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    yay
  • lizabethlizabeth Posts: 3Registered Users
    rymorg2 - thanks so much for this post, it's just the kind of thing I need - instructions that explain it all!! I'm a somewhat newbie... I've been kinda lurking and not posting... just trying to follow the information and getting confused! I was one of those afraid to try protein.

I have been doing modified CG for the last couple years(lo-poo every other day) and in the last few weeks or so my hair seems to be getting worse. Drier and frizzier. Sometimes almost flat - less curl formation, etc. A week and a half ago I put henna on it(which usually calms my frizzies) but no luck. I also got a haircut thinking that my ends were too dry. The only changes I've made is going from lo poo every other day to only once a week and conditioner washing in-between. I've also started using my conditioner as a leave-in too. With all that conditioner I was suprised my hair was getting worse not better.

So after reading this post I decided I'd try it and bought the K-pax hair reconstructor and the biolage that you mentioned. Let each sit on my hair for half an hour last night(used avalon organics clarifying shampoo first). Anyway, after rinsing the k-pax my hair felt so soft and kinda felt squeaky clean. After the biolage is wasn't quite as soft and when it dried I had a lot of frizz and poof but my hair seemed to be spiraling nice and was still softer then it'd been in a long time.

So my conclusions are: My hair really likes/needs protein, and it's probably over-conditioned and that's why I'm getting frizz and poof? Would this explain why my hair is doing worse with all the leave-in conditioner etc? Does this sound like a correct conclusion?

A little about my hair: I believe I'm a frustrated 3a(I used to assume wavy but when conditions are right I get a head full of sidewalk chalk sized ringlets). I have tons of hair(my hairdresser usually thins it out). My hair tends to be really shiny when it's happy and duller when it's not. I used to think my hair was course, but now I'm wondering if it's just porous and dry instead, as it doesn't seem nearly as course after the DT last night. I seem to remember my hairdresser saying I had medium hair...

So I'm thinking maybe should I be doing a protein treatment more often and stopping the leave-in conditioner. Any thoughts?

Thanks to anyone that read through this long ramble... and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Welcome to nonlurkdom lizabeth!!! :D

You're welcome, my pleasure. Let me see if I can answer your questions for you.

It DEFINITELY sounds like you're overconditioned to me. Probably changing to CO most days and low poo once a week did it. Plus the LI. If the low poo was working why not go back to it? I low poo most days actually. In the summer I have to even more often, due to the limpies. As long as it's not a sulfate, it should be fine. That should help some with the overconditioning as well, and if you follow with just the KPac (since you're overconditioned and trying to counteract that I wouldn't necessarily follow with moisture only) it may just bring you back close to normal. You could definitely be porous and need more protein. To tell if you're fine, medium or coarse, feel your hair...if it's the size of a silk strand you're fine, a cotton thread you're medium, and a strand of wool or dental floss you're coarse. My bet is that other things are causing your hair to feel dry even though you're not a true coarsie. Do you go out in the sun? Use hot water in the shower? Heat style at all? Color? Any of those things can cause your porosity to go up which means you'll need protein.

HTH!!! :D
    lizabeth wrote: »
    rymorg2 - thanks so much for this post, it's just the kind of thing I need - instructions that explain it all!! I'm a somewhat newbie... I've been kinda lurking and not posting... just trying to follow the information and getting confused! I was one of those afraid to try protein.

I have been doing modified CG for the last couple years(lo-poo every other day) and in the last few weeks or so my hair seems to be getting worse. Drier and frizzier. Sometimes almost flat - less curl formation, etc. A week and a half ago I put henna on it(which usually calms my frizzies) but no luck. I also got a haircut thinking that my ends were too dry. The only changes I've made is going from lo poo every other day to only once a week and conditioner washing in-between. I've also started using my conditioner as a leave-in too. With all that conditioner I was suprised my hair was getting worse not better.

So after reading this post I decided I'd try it and bought the K-pax hair reconstructor and the biolage that you mentioned. Let each sit on my hair for half an hour last night(used avalon organics clarifying shampoo first). Anyway, after rinsing the k-pax my hair felt so soft and kinda felt squeaky clean. After the biolage is wasn't quite as soft and when it dried I had a lot of frizz and poof but my hair seemed to be spiraling nice and was still softer then it'd been in a long time.

So my conclusions are: My hair really likes/needs protein, and it's probably over-conditioned and that's why I'm getting frizz and poof? Would this explain why my hair is doing worse with all the leave-in conditioner etc? Does this sound like a correct conclusion?

A little about my hair: I believe I'm a frustrated 3a(I used to assume wavy but when conditions are right I get a head full of sidewalk chalk sized ringlets). I have tons of hair(my hairdresser usually thins it out). My hair tends to be really shiny when it's happy and duller when it's not. I used to think my hair was course, but now I'm wondering if it's just porous and dry instead, as it doesn't seem nearly as course after the DT last night. I seem to remember my hairdresser saying I had medium hair...

So I'm thinking maybe should I be doing a protein treatment more often and stopping the leave-in conditioner. Any thoughts?

Thanks to anyone that read through this long ramble... and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lizabethlizabeth Posts: 3Registered Users
    Thanks so much for the reply and the welcome! It helped a lot!

Actually I've done a couple of the things you mentioned to damage it. Most of the winter I blow-dryed and flat-ironed my hair(where I live if you don't blow dry your hair it will freeze when you leave the house - but the flat-ironing was overkill!). And about two months ago I went on vacation where I spent 3 weeks in the harsh African sun and had to use sulfite shampoos. I was pretty dry by the end.

As far as my hair texture, now that it's starting to get smoother feeling I was say it might be a little finer then cotton but not as fine as silk. I never would've guessed - I've spent years thinking it was coarse. So sounds conclusive that I'm porous.

Yesterday morning I used my non-sulfite shampoo and then followed it up with 5 minutes of K-pax. Didn't use any other conditioner. My hair felt super soft afterwords and had less frizz and poof(still some frizz mostly at the crown). My husband even thought it looked healthier! One of the best things is that I seem to have gotten some bounce back! I'm still waking up with it looking frizzy and dry so I think I'm still somewhat over-conditioned and probably still damaged.

So my plan is to go back to non-sulfite shampoo every 2-3 days, and not use a leave-in anymore. As far as protein, could I still get away with more Protein? Such as a PT once a week? It seems like my hair is still damaged... Should I be thinking about having my regular conditioner contain protein(I noticed that one of the ones I use off and on has quinoa protein).

Thanks again for the help! Your post has definitely helped my hair!!
    If you're not as fine as silk but finer than cotton then you're on the fine/medium end of the spectrum. In which case, yes, you need protein, especially since you've spent time in the sun and heat styled. So I'd do a weekly PT with the KPac for sure. You could try a light protein rinse out conditioner too, but just plan on not using it every day. YW! :D
    lizabeth wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the reply and the welcome! It helped a lot!

Actually I've done a couple of the things you mentioned to damage it. Most of the winter I blow-dryed and flat-ironed my hair(where I live if you don't blow dry your hair it will freeze when you leave the house - but the flat-ironing was overkill!). And about two months ago I went on vacation where I spent 3 weeks in the harsh African sun and had to use sulfite shampoos. I was pretty dry by the end.

As far as my hair texture, now that it's starting to get smoother feeling I was say it might be a little finer then cotton but not as fine as silk. I never would've guessed - I've spent years thinking it was coarse. So sounds conclusive that I'm porous.

Yesterday morning I used my non-sulfite shampoo and then followed it up with 5 minutes of K-pax. Didn't use any other conditioner. My hair felt super soft afterwords and had less frizz and poof(still some frizz mostly at the crown). My husband even thought it looked healthier! One of the best things is that I seem to have gotten some bounce back! I'm still waking up with it looking frizzy and dry so I think I'm still somewhat over-conditioned and probably still damaged.

So my plan is to go back to non-sulfite shampoo every 2-3 days, and not use a leave-in anymore. As far as protein, could I still get away with more Protein? Such as a PT once a week? It seems like my hair is still damaged... Should I be thinking about having my regular conditioner contain protein(I noticed that one of the ones I use off and on has quinoa protein).

Thanks again for the help! Your post has definitely helped my hair!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users

SSRPT is my favorite, followed closely by CJCF. If you go to Whole Foods near you they have several scents of the AOGPB that are Whole Foods Exclusive that are different from the regular. As for the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]Jessicurl WDT[/buylink], yes, that would work to offset the crunchies for sure!

HTH!

i got my aogpb from whole foods but there was only two bottles left so im assuming everybody else bought up the good smelling ones lol.. i was eyeballing the SS RPT but i ordered Mozekes Carrot Protein Masque to try before that.. i hope i love it and i hope it smells decent lol!
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
    LOL....I can't use lavendars usually and rosemary fragrances are not my fave, and I HATE the original one. So GPT is not usually used by me, though I used to. Let me know your opinion on the Mozeke, I've never tried it.

HTH!

i got my aogpb from whole foods but there was only two bottles left so im assuming everybody else bought up the good smelling ones lol.. i was eyeballing the SS RPT but i ordered Mozekes Carrot Protein Masque to try before that.. i hope i love it and i hope it smells decent lol!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,478Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for this! I colored my hair last week, left it on for too long and besides the fact it's too freaking dark, it looks like crap!! :confused2: I was wondering if I should do a protein treatment and I found my answer. :D

On a side note ... Crystal Tips - I want your hair when you're done with it! :D:D I've been visiting your album and holy cow, those are some awesome curls at any length. Wish I had enough hair to use those big jaw clips! You have an official hair stalker. :twisted:
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
    Thanks for this! I colored my hair last week, left it on for too long and besides the fact it's too freaking dark, it looks like crap!! :confused2: I was wondering if I should do a protein treatment and I found my answer. :D

On a side note ... Crystal Tips - I want your hair when you're done with it! :D:D I've been visiting your album and holy cow, those are some awesome curls at any length. Wish I had enough hair to use those big jaw clips! You have an official hair stalker. :twisted:

:blob3::blob3::blob3::blob3::blob3:

HI LAVENDAR CURLS!!!!! Long time no see!!! I'm glad I could help!!! :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,478Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yeah I find I'm back here when the hair is back to driving me nuts lol! I had hoped to find the Nexxus Emergencee at Walmart last night but didn't. So, I'm sitting here with the VO5 hot oil stuff on my head. Going to go for an hour then throw some conditioner mixed with honey on my head for a bit.

I've never tried the SS or CJ stuff, but it sounds like I should, especially if my hair looks better after this. I've never ever know if my hair likes/dislikes protein because I could never just figure it out! Vitamin Shoppe is just minutes away and I'm fond of the AOHR, so I could get that other one mentioned. Also going to get some Jessicurl WTD with that discount she's offering right now.

I'm rambling. Anyway, thanks for this thread and all the help you've given! ;)
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file