Going to DT very soon...some questions

plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
I've decided I really need to DT...I have some SS DDMT. I'm not sure if I want to:

1) do it tonight, rinse, style, etc
2) do it tonight and leave on overnight
3) use a shampoo (lo poo) beforehand

My 'poo options are:

1) Lloyd's Saltspring Island Organics...citrus smell
2) Prairie Naturals Wild Rose Moisture Balance...herbal scent
3) one of my old Lush sulfate shampoos, Rehab or Seanick..also herbal but different for each
4)Curls For Target Creamy Cleanser...same smell as the DDMT (I just don't have much of this left)

Of course I am a total nerd and think the CFT would be a nice smell match. :P I am hoping hoping hoping my friend finds some in FL before she comes up in a few weeks...I've been kinda holding back using it til I know whether she found it. I've got 1-2 more uses out of it. As for the Lush...yeah they have sulfates, but maybe a good sulfate stripping will let the dt penetrate more? I think the first two are probably about the same...the PN is diluted (previous owner did that) and none of the scents of the first three will mesh nicely with the dt, but the dt is what I will smell in the end anyway, so I'm not sure that really matters.

Yes, I'll accept my nerd crown now. :queen:

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

Comments

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    plunkybug wrote: »
    I've decided I really need to DT...I have some SS DDMT. I'm not sure if I want to:

1) do it tonight, rinse, style, etc
    2) do it tonight and leave on overnight
    3) use a shampoo (lo poo) beforehand

My 'poo options are:

1) Lloyd's Saltspring Island Organics...citrus smell
    2) Prairie Naturals Wild Rose Moisture Balance...herbal scent
    3) one of my old Lush sulfate shampoos, Rehab or Seanick..also herbal but different for each
    4)Curls For Target Creamy Cleanser...same smell as the DDMT (I just don't have much of this left)

Of course I am a total nerd and think the CFT would be a nice smell match. :P I am hoping hoping hoping my friend finds some in FL before she comes up in a few weeks...I've been kinda holding back using it til I know whether she found it. I've got 1-2 more uses out of it. As for the Lush...yeah they have sulfates, but maybe a good sulfate stripping will let the dt penetrate more? I think the first two are probably about the same...the PN is diluted (previous owner did that) and none of the scents of the first three will mesh nicely with the dt, but the dt is what I will smell in the end anyway, so I'm not sure that really matters.

Yes, I'll accept my nerd crown now. :queen:

OMG Plunky I must've read your mind, I just did a DT primer on the general board. :D I didn't go into cleansing before hand though. I usually recommend cleansing somehow before hand for help with penetration. If it were me and I had the options you do I'd choose the CFT Too. Personally I never leave a dt overnight, but I allow at least one hour for it to stay on. I did that once and got HORRID results. Usually I do a PT followed by a DT so that's at least 2 hours of good stuff on my hair. HTH!
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • elitaelita Posts: 402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I always go by how my hair feels. If your hair feels producty, I'd do the low-poo first. I only use a sulfate shampoo when my hair still feels greasy after a low-poo. If your hair already feels dry, I'd do a co-wash.

I think most of the DT's recommend leaving on for about 30-60 minutes with heat then rinsing. I usually leave in overnight because with 3 kids I don't have time to get back in the shower a 2nd time to rinse. I really needed the overnight DT during the winter and I've been diffusing again since my hair's shorter. If you're air-drying though you might get overconditioned so be careful. Sometimes I'll do a low-poo if my hair feels too soft after the DT.
    2a underneath, 2b/c on top, medium texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, high density
    mod-CG since Feb 2009
    HG Combo: CJDF, BCDC & AFL
    Other Favorites:
    all things Spiral Solutions and Curl Junkie!! :love5:
    How'd it turn out plunky??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    Because my hair had been kinda weird the last few days (which is why I wanted to do the DT), I decided to low poo with the Lloyd's...just a small amount and not too much lather. Slathered the DDMT on, focusing on the ends and shaft, and just a little bit at the top...I didn't want to over-moisturize my roots so I mostly just ran my hands through after I'd focused on the shaft and ends though I did add a little extra. There was definitely more on the shaft and ends than on top. Initially was going to leave it on for 30 minutes or so, but plans changed, and I ended up leaving it on longer. I had to make a quick trip to the drugstore, so I decided to go with the DT in and my hair braided, as if I was going out in the humidity, I'd rather go with my hair in the DT'd braid, then all nice. So I went to the drugstore with my DDMT in and my fleece pants and jacket on...I was a rock star, I tell ya! I rinsed it out when I got home and mixed a tiny amount of CFT Creme Brule curl creme with the Goddess Curls gel. I could've gone with the gel only, but the gel has no smell, and the Creme Brule smells like caramel latte like the DDMT, so I added just a touch of it and mixed it with the gel to scent it, but hopefully not be too extra moisture-y or greasy. I plopped a few minutes, and was thinking of diffusing before going out, but decided, why bother when it is rainy and humid out...I'll still have frizz. And I do, but it isn't as bad as the last few days...it is definitely better now that is is fully dry. Interesting thing is that I had no crunch whatsoever. I also don't have terribly tight wurls; they're wurlier more toward the bottom. I thought initially that I just didn't use enough gel, but think now it was either mixing the Creme Brule in with the gel (might it act like a leave in?), or just the moisture from the DT neutralized the crunch like using leave in under would, or something. Either way, it's ok, my hair is soft, and while it isn't super defined, it's not bad either.

These are from today; just a few hours ago. I was trying on dresses at Ricki's in anticipation of my brother's wedding in a few months. I've just started looking, so I wanted pictures to keep track of what I like and where and so on. Anyhow, pardon the goofy expressions and the large photos. You can't really see my hair if they're small.

4657889409_9f7ef57cdc_b.jpg

4657894579_1c47d647f8_b.jpg

4658515346_48bca0e44d_b.jpg

PS While I was at the mall, I checked out the hair salon I was referred to by the chic in Ricki's who had awesome hair to check the stylist out, and they had little tiny bottles of BRHG for a buck! I only had 50¢ in coin on me, so they guy gave it to me for that. No sense in charging $1 to the debit card.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

Good for you! It looks like the PT did the trick.

I find that the day after I do a PT/DT I get better formation of my wurls. Don't know why, but it's true. I guess it takes a good day for the benefits to really show.

Btw, I love that first dress. Oh, and goody on the BRHG!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurlyPolkaDotCurlyPolkaDot Posts: 1,174Registered Users
    Wow! Those Dresses are Nice!! :D
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii
    Countess DuckyDot :duckie: , Keeper of the book of Vegetarianism and Arty Pants, Leader of the Curly Ducks in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Away and might not be back. See me at: http://walkintowhispers.blogspot.com/
    Thanks curlypolkadot! Which do you like better?

• anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair looks great. You have a very pretty curl pattern.

I like both dresses, but I think I like the 2nd one better. The back of the dress is very unique!! :occasion7: (BTW, what store is that?)
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • CurlyPolkaDotCurlyPolkaDot Posts: 1,174Registered Users
    I like the Second :D
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii
    Countess DuckyDot :duckie: , Keeper of the book of Vegetarianism and Arty Pants, Leader of the Curly Ducks in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Away and might not be back. See me at: http://walkintowhispers.blogspot.com/
  • elitaelita Posts: 402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Looks nice plunky! I like both dresses but I like the 2nd better. :sunny:
    2a underneath, 2b/c on top, medium texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, high density
    mod-CG since Feb 2009
    HG Combo: CJDF, BCDC & AFL
    Other Favorites:
    all things Spiral Solutions and Curl Junkie!! :love5:
    Thanks all! I think I am going to get the 2nd dress...the wedding isn't til Sept, but the store has a "No sale is ever final" policy, so I am thinking of getting it now, and then if I find something better, I can return it (no questions asked) for a full refund. I love Ricki's. I'd never heard of them til I moved to Canada.

Oh, and thanks for the feedback on my hair. It definitely feels better than it did, but it is a bit looser than usual. I think that was just not enough gel. There's still frizz, but not the rats nest feeling of gummy and dry frizz...I'm sure this is more weather related with it being warmer and rainy right now. I am washing in the morning with my day off...not sure what I am going to use, but a harder hold gel, or at least more of it, is in the plans.

plunkybug wrote: »
    Thanks all! I think I am going to get the 2nd dress...the wedding isn't til Sept, but the store has a "No sale is ever final" policy, so I am thinking of getting it now, and then if I find something better, I can return it (no questions asked) for a full refund. I love Ricki's. I'd never heard of them til I moved to Canada.

Oh, and thanks for the feedback on my hair. It definitely feels better than it did, but it is a bit looser than usual. I think that was just not enough gel. There's still frizz, but not the rats nest feeling of gummy and dry frizz...I'm sure this is more weather related with it being warmer and rainy right now. I am washing in the morning with my day off...not sure what I am going to use, but a harder hold gel, or at least more of it, is in the plans.

I think that's a very good plan Plunky. Sounds like you did exactly what your hair needed. A lot of the time my wave pattern isn't as defined after a DT, but other times it perks my wurls back up. It just varies. Heck, sometimes a low poo won't perk up my curl. My curl is finicky. Meh.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AKgirlAKgirl Posts: 341Registered Users
    Your hair looks great! You have some nice spirals at the bottom. And I LOVE the second dress, good choice! It looks fab on you!
    2a-2bFii NP?

Low poo: Deva Low-Poo, Jessicurl GLS, Moroccanoil Volumizing Shampoo, Aveda Be Curly
    Condish: Cure Care, Redken Body Full, Deva One C, and Jessicurl Aloeba
    LI: Aveda Be Curly Style Prep <3
    Products: Deva FFVF & Jessicurl Spiralicious (LOVE), TRESemme Curl Boosting Mousse
    Hairspray: Aussie Sprunch, TRESemme Curl
    locking Spray
    Experimenting with lots of products in my cabinet...

My hair loves protein, plopping, and diffusing! Trying to find a way to style and air dry.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file