Twistout/Braidout on Dry Hair

JahNaturalDezignJahNaturalDezign Registered Users Posts: 1,160
Hey ladies! I was wondering for those of you that do twist/braidouts on dry hair when you blow it out are you you putting your moisturizing products on while wet and then your heat protectant or are you applying only a heat protectant to blow out then whatever styler to twist/braid. Also what are some good heat protectants to use? I've seen people talk alot about the Tresemme's Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Spray I think it is, or using just plain olive oil or grapeseed oil. I had a scare doing a blowout once. I used Proclaim Heat Protectant (red bottle) and it made my hair feel brittle and gross. It took a few shampoos DC's and cowashes to get it back to normal, and my curls still didn't seem the same.

Comments

• coilynappcoilynapp Registered Users Posts: 4,233
    I do twist outs on dry hair, but I don't blow out my hair. I air dry in large twists (I put my leave in) and then when dry I twist (first I moisturize with AOHC) and then twist using OHHB). Blowing out my hair makes it sooo dry and I haven't done it in 4 years

ETA: when moisturizing, I lightly spritz the hair with water--helps AOHC spread better
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Registered Users Posts: 2,316
    For my braid-outs I actually soak up the nearly all the by running a t-shirt through my hair and then apply my shea butter or pudding and braid. I like doing my twistouts with slightly damp hair
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • butterflibutterfli Registered Users Posts: 178 Curl Neophyte
    I have been banding my hair to prep for a braid out or twist out. After washing, I smooth on my shea butter mixture and band the night before. The next day my hair is stretched and dry and in a huge fro :love4:. I think this is a better way to stretch MY hair with out the heat. And it doesn't take as much time as blowing out. After taking the banding down, I twist with one of my twisting creams. HTH
  • jeweldjeweld Registered Users Posts: 140
    I also don't blow-dry my hair, instead I let it air-dry with AOWC in it. Then I twist/braid using yes to cucumbers condish and seal ends with either castor or vatika oil

HTH
    Poo: Giovanni TTT
    CoWash/Detangler: Any Suave on top of VO5, Yes to Cucumbers
    DT: Aubrey Organics White Camellia, Amla/ Coconut milk, Castor oil
    Styling Products: Yes to Cucumbers, EcoStyler, Longaid Curl Activator,
    Daily Moisture: Hibiscus tea+Aubrey Organics White Camellia Spritz, Yes to Cucumbers, Homemade Whipped Avocado+ Green Tea Creme
    Seal w/ Dabur Vatika Oil, Castor oil
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I don't blow out. I air dry or diffuse and wear the hair as a wash and go for a couple of days. Then I twist over that. Products are whatever was used for the wash and go, and then to twist, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-Set-it-Free-p-259.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-set-it-free]Devacurl Set it free[/buylink] and Afroveda Curl Define or similar product.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • JahNaturalDezignJahNaturalDezign Registered Users Posts: 1,160
    I would have been tried to band my hair but I cannot find those soft hair bands anywhere. I am really trying to stay away from heat. Thanks for the insight!
  • butterflibutterfli Registered Users Posts: 178 Curl Neophyte
    I would have been tried to band my hair but I cannot find those soft hair bands anywhere. I am really trying to stay away from heat. Thanks for the insight!

I got my soft hair bands from family dollar. It was a huge bag for about $2. Or you can try your BSS they should have some there too.
  • JahNaturalDezignJahNaturalDezign Registered Users Posts: 1,160
    butterfli wrote: »

I got my soft hair bands from family dollar. It was a huge bag for about $2. Or you can try your BSS they should have some there too.

Of course Family Dollar, the last place I thought of. I'm going to look there tomorrow.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file